Kodak DX7440 - Does Exposure Setting Take Longer than Focusing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave Cobb, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. Dave Cobb

    Dave Cobb Guest

    I've been struggling with my Kodak DX7440 camera for a few months now
    trying to get properly exposed indoor photos. Typically, I've
    experienced very dark under-exposed indoor shots with this camera.

    By accident I may have figured out a "work-around" to acheive proper
    exposure and/or white-balance.

    Typically, I will take shots very quickly after my focus brackets turn
    green... and had dozens of under-exposed or off-balance shots.

    Yesterday, however I continued to hold the "shutter" release halfway
    for several seconds beyond the green bracket focus indicators. While
    doing this I noticed a slight color shift on the LCD preview and my
    resultant shots came out bright and well-balanced.

    So my questions (primarily to Ron Baird) are....

    1)Does it take my Kodak DX7440 camera longer to set exposure than it
    does to focus?
    2)If #1 is true, is there some other indicator (besides the focus
    brackets) to indicate when proper exposure metering has completed?
    3)Is it possible for Kodak to address this issue in a firmware update
    that will use the focus brackets to indicate BOTH proper focus AND
    proper exposure has been determined?

    Thanks, Dave

    Dave Cobb, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Dave Cobb

    Robert Barr Guest

    Did your unit ever work properly (as you'd define 'properly')?

    I have a newish DX7440 that delivers excellent results indoors. It's
    really good at faces / skin -- by design, certainly. I haven't had a
    single instance of poor exposure indoors, no matter how I release the
    shutter.

    Generally I ignore the LCD and use the viewfinder, so it's hard to say
    what the focus brackets were centered on, but I rarely bother to even
    pause as I hit the shutter.

    If you've already tried a reset to restore default settings, I'd suspect
    a problem with the camera itself.

    I have noticed the brightness of the LCD change with the shutter
    partially depressed, particularly in darker surroundings, but I've never
    seen any effect on the resulting exposure.

    Robert Barr, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Dave Cobb

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Cobb wrote:
    > I've been struggling with my Kodak DX7440 camera for a few months now
    > trying to get properly exposed indoor photos. Typically, I've
    > experienced very dark under-exposed indoor shots with this camera.
    >
    > By accident I may have figured out a "work-around" to acheive proper
    > exposure and/or white-balance.
    >
    > Typically, I will take shots very quickly after my focus brackets turn
    > green... and had dozens of under-exposed or off-balance shots.
    >
    > Yesterday, however I continued to hold the "shutter" release halfway
    > for several seconds beyond the green bracket focus indicators. While
    > doing this I noticed a slight color shift on the LCD preview and my
    > resultant shots came out bright and well-balanced.
    >
    > So my questions (primarily to Ron Baird) are....
    >
    > 1)Does it take my Kodak DX7440 camera longer to set exposure than it
    > does to focus?
    > 2)If #1 is true, is there some other indicator (besides the focus
    > brackets) to indicate when proper exposure metering has completed?
    > 3)Is it possible for Kodak to address this issue in a firmware update
    > that will use the focus brackets to indicate BOTH proper focus AND
    > proper exposure has been determined?
    >
    > Thanks, Dave

    I don't know about the 7440, but in low light, most cameras take longer
    to set focus and exposure. However, I have no real problem in this area
    with my 6440.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 27, 2004
  4. Dave Cobb

    Dave Cobb Guest

    > If you've already tried a reset to restore default settings, I'd suspect a
    > problem with the camera itself.

    This is my second DX7440... I sent my first one in to Kodak and they sent me
    a replacement camera. Can't say the second is much better than the first in
    this respect.

    Dave Cobb, Sep 28, 2004
  5. Dave Cobb

    Dave Cobb Guest

    Ron Baird ... any help?

    Dave Cobb, Oct 1, 2004
  6. Dave Cobb

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Dave,

    Did a little research and got some help from my friends. Lets review your
    questions.

    1)Does it take my Kodak DX7440 camera longer to set exposure than it does to
    focus?
    Both of these functions are normally carried out together at the same time.
    If the lighting is dim or if the subject has very low contrast across it's
    surface, then it can take longer to lock focus than it does to set the
    exposure. But most of the time, any difference between focus lock and
    exposure lock is indistinguishable.

    2)If #1 is true, is there some other indicator (besides the focus brackets)
    to indicate when proper exposure metering has completed?

    No, proper exposure and focus are both indicated by the brackets becoming
    green. If the focus is unable to lock, then a Red AF is displayed along with
    a blinking orange eyepiece LED and the brackets disappear. If the exposure
    is measured as being outside the current setting parameters in P, A, S or C
    mode or if the shutter speed ends up being too slow for hand holding in
    Auto, P, A, S or C modes, then the Red AF and blinking orange LED are
    displayed. A 'shaking hand' icon is displayed if the exposure is locked but
    the shutter speed is slow. Various combinations of these icons can be
    displayed depending on the exposure conditions and camera settings at the
    time of pressing the shutter to the first detent.

    3)Is it possible for Kodak to address this issue in a firmware update that
    will use the focus brackets to indicate BOTH proper focus AND

    proper exposure has been determined?As explained above, the brackets turning
    to Green with no other indicators present, indicates that both focus and
    exposure are correct and locked. If other icons appear as explained above,
    that indicates a failure either of the focus, the exposure or both. There
    are no plans to indicate this in any other manner.

    Hope this helps, Dave, let me know if you have other questions.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Oct 5, 2004
  7. Dave Cobb

    Dave Cobb Guest

    Thanks for your responses Ron... that at least eliminates a few problems...

    My photos were taken in either "Auto" mode, or "Party" mode at close range
    (3-6 ft).

    So I guess my next question is.. How does the metering work on this camera?
    Spot, multi, etc? Is there a setting I can choose to improve the light
    metering (multi instead of spot)?

    Dave Cobb, Oct 6, 2004
  8. Dave Cobb

    Dave Cobb Guest

    Ron Baird... any thoughts about metering in the different modes? Which modes
    provide the most accurate metering?

    Thanks, Dave

    Dave Cobb, Oct 12, 2004
  9. Dave Cobb

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Dave,

    Sorry I was not here for the last week and a half. Had to take some time
    off.

    Metering is key to your success. As you likely know, the mode you choose
    will have different preset values to help you get the best results for the
    indicated conditions. Also, when you set the metering to say spot metering
    you can be more specific in the kind of exposure you can expect. If you
    want to be sure to expose for a particular subject or part of a scene, use
    the spot metering and press the shutter half way to hold those settings.
    You can then recompose to your liking and snap the picture. Since this is
    digital, try a few shots under similar lighting before an event so you can
    be sure the resulting images will be what you want. For good overall scene
    quality, use a broader metering option such as multi.

    There are settings on most cameras that will let you adjust for the lighting
    in the scene. The DX7440 has excellent controls for this. You may want to
    experiment with over and under exposure as well as flash compensation.

    Remember, it is always a good idea to actually know the distance from a
    subject. I for one have OK perception but I often err on flash range. If I
    zoom at all which changes the aperture in some cameras, the range is
    decreased and I end up at the limits or beyond, which thinking I am closer
    when I am not.

    If you have some examples, let me see. Sorry I am not up on your issue
    completely as I was off for a while.

    Look forward to helping you.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company