    Scott Doles Guest

    Does anyone have an opinion of the new Kodak DX6490 camera. I recently
    purchased one and I am enjoying it. Thanks in advance..

    Scott Doles, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Scott Doles

    Joe Guest

    "Scott Doles" <> wrote in message
    news:cDlob.112377$...
    > Does anyone have an opinion of the new Kodak DX6490 camera. I recently
    > purchased one and I am enjoying it. Thanks in advance..

    Good for you Scott. I haven't taken the plunge yet and bought one - I'm
    still considering it or an Olympus C-750 or a S7000 Fuji.

    As an owner of a DX6490, could you answer a couple of questions please?

    Is the LCD as good as they say? Can you really see it outdoors in the sun?

    Has not having manual focusing been a problem?

    Reviewers comment on the "aggressive compression" of the image files where
    areas of similiar colour, like the sky, shown pixellation (blotchy colours).
    Is this a problem in practice?

    Thanks again.

    Joe, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Scott Doles

    Trevor S Guest

    "Joe" <joe.notvalidaddress@xyz..nu> wrote in

    <snip>

    > Is the LCD as good as they say? Can you really see it outdoors in the
    > sun?

    Yes it is very good, I was amazed with it, remember you can still use the
    EVF if it does become bad. It washes out in bringt sun but still
    useable, when in the same conditions I could see nothing on the LCD of
    the Nikon 2500. The lens is very very good and the inbuilt flash is
    excellent (as far as inbuilt flash's go) It takes SD memeory cards, this
    may be of concern to some, I have a couple 256 MB SD cards, so this was a
    + for me.

    > Has not having manual focusing been a problem?

    For me, yes, once, it was having problems with auto focus and it would
    have been nice to manully focus. All I did was zoom out slightly re-
    frame and it focused okay. Not a major concern though.

    > Reviewers comment on the "aggressive compression" of the image files
    > where areas of similiar colour, like the sky, shown pixellation
    > (blotchy colours). Is this a problem in practice?

    Yes, I noticed this, it needs an option for less compression, it has a
    "best" setting, but needs something like "better then best" maybe in a
    firmware upgrade, are you listening KODAK :) Fixing this would go a long
    way to makng it into an excellent camera. My wife has one along with a
    little 2MP P&S Nikon 2500. The size of the files from the 2MP 2500
    camera are about the same as the 6490.

    My wife loves it, I bought it for her after she kept companing about her
    Nikon 2500, she just does not like it, I use the Nikon and like the
    colours of the image better, though it does have problems with distortion
    in the zoom.

    Whether the other two you are considering are any better cameras is the
    question.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Scott Doles

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Scott Doles wrote:

    > Does anyone have an opinion of the new Kodak DX6490 camera. I recently
    > purchased one and I am enjoying it. Thanks in advance..

    Just curious. How do you rate the EVF? Is it better or worse than
    similar viewfinders? Doesn't the low resolution view bother you?

    Ron Hunter, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Scott Doles

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Scott,

    You made a great buy.

    I have used it and found it very versatile and with the features that I like
    best, manual adjustment while have auto options, and external flash. I can
    control the camera and resulting images the way i like them. The resolution
    is excellent and I have enjoyed it quite a bit. I do not own one yet, and
    have only used on occasions (when I could get one) but loved it when I had
    it. Nice feel in the hands and though small, it works great with the flash
    bracket that I have for my digital work. You are in for some good picture
    taking. If you have questions, let me know.

    Ron Baird
    Kodak

    Ron Baird, Nov 3, 2003
  6. Scott Doles

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Ron,

    Have you tried adjusting the diopter on the viewer to fit your vision? If
    not, give it a try and see if it helps.

    Talk to you soon,
    Ron Baird

    Ron Baird, Nov 3, 2003