    can't imagine going for an extended period of time away from the dock
    without extra batteries. It's like not having a second roll of film
    with you "just in case" for 35 mm cameras.

    Tim Lapin, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Tim Lapin

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Tim Lapin wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm considering the DX6490 but one important question about batteries is
    > giving me pause. Simply put, which retailers sell the spare lithium
    > batteries and recharging units that I've seen on Kodak's website? How
    > much are they? Also, are there any such dealers in Canada? You can't
    > seem to buy them online from the Canadian Kodak website.
    >
    > Never have I been so frustrated in locating spare parts for a device. I
    > can't imagine going for an extended period of time away from the dock
    > without extra batteries. It's like not having a second roll of film
    > with you "just in case" for 35 mm cameras.

    I just did a google search for Kodak DX6490 battery and the following URL was
    one of many results:
    http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1552047/ut=cbddd16973e81817

    It shows several sites on the net that sell the battery, and the best price was
    $26.01 from http://thenerds.net/. I'm assuming that is $US.

    Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - UNICO Computer Systems
    Melbourne, Australia

    relate to the official business of my employer, UNICO Computer Systems,
    shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Tim Lapin <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm considering the DX6490 but one important question about batteries is
    > giving me pause. Simply put, which retailers sell the spare lithium
    > batteries and recharging units that I've seen on Kodak's website? How
    > much are they? Also, are there any such dealers in Canada? You can't
    > seem to buy them online from the Canadian Kodak website.
    >
    > Never have I been so frustrated in locating spare parts for a device. I
    > can't imagine going for an extended period of time away from the dock
    > without extra batteries. It's like not having a second roll of film
    > with you "just in case" for 35 mm cameras.

    B&H Photo sells the spare lithium batteries for the Kodak DX6490.
    They have a very reliable mail-order department. They ship to Canada.
    They're selling the batteries for $29.95.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=303268&is=REG

    - Peter

    Peter Lawrence, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Tim Lapin

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tim Lapin wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm considering the DX6490 but one important question about batteries is
    > giving me pause. Simply put, which retailers sell the spare lithium
    > batteries and recharging units that I've seen on Kodak's website? How
    > much are they? Also, are there any such dealers in Canada? You can't
    > seem to buy them online from the Canadian Kodak website.
    >
    > Never have I been so frustrated in locating spare parts for a device. I
    > can't imagine going for an extended period of time away from the dock
    > without extra batteries. It's like not having a second roll of film
    > with you "just in case" for 35 mm cameras.

    First, the DX6490 is a very new camera, it may be a while before other
    sources for accessories have products to market. Second, if you charge
    the battery on this camera, you can probably take 500 or more pictures
    before needing a battery charge. This should be adequate for anything
    short of professional use. And the charger IS portable to where there
    is an AC outlet.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Tim Lapin

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim Lapin <> wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm considering the DX6490 but one important question about batteries is
    > giving me pause. Simply put, which retailers sell the spare lithium
    > batteries and recharging units that I've seen on Kodak's website? How
    > much are they? Also, are there any such dealers in Canada? You can't
    > seem to buy them online from the Canadian Kodak website.
    >
    > Never have I been so frustrated in locating spare parts for a device. I
    > can't imagine going for an extended period of time away from the dock
    > without extra batteries. It's like not having a second roll of film
    > with you "just in case" for 35 mm cameras.

    Earlier this year, it was difficult to find spare batteries for the
    DX6490,, unless you were willing to settle for the smaller capacity
    KLIC5000 battery (the larger capacity battery is the KLIC5001). The
    same was true of the travel charger. Now it is not so difficult. eBay
    has several sellers that post both, but beware, the old travel charger,
    originally made for the KLIC5000, apprently does not fully charge the
    new battery.

    There is at least one dealer in Canada that sells both. You can contact
    them at:

    http://www.techcomm.ca/

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Garcia, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Tim Lapin

    Tim Lapin Guest

    In article <>,
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > Tim Lapin wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I'm considering the DX6490 but one important question about batteries is
    > > giving me pause. Simply put, which retailers sell the spare lithium
    > > batteries and recharging units that I've seen on Kodak's website? How
    > > much are they? Also, are there any such dealers in Canada? You can't
    > > seem to buy them online from the Canadian Kodak website.
    > >

    > First, the DX6490 is a very new camera, it may be a while before other
    > sources for accessories have products to market. Second, if you charge
    > the battery on this camera, you can probably take 500 or more pictures
    > before needing a battery charge. This should be adequate for anything
    > short of professional use. And the charger IS portable to where there
    > is an AC outlet.

    My understanding is that the AC adapter is just that: an adapter. I don't
    believe it will charge anything. See various reviews on the camera.
    Although I could be wrong. :)

    In any case, thanks to all those who answered. You have given me a
    framework on pricing and availability.

    --
    Tim Lapin

    Tim Lapin, Dec 10, 2003
  7. Tim Lapin

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim Lapin <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >
    > > Tim Lapin wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello all,
    > > >
    > > > I'm considering the DX6490 but one important question about batteries is
    > > > giving me pause. Simply put, which retailers sell the spare lithium
    > > > batteries and recharging units that I've seen on Kodak's website? How
    > > > much are they? Also, are there any such dealers in Canada? You can't
    > > > seem to buy them online from the Canadian Kodak website.
    > > >

    > > First, the DX6490 is a very new camera, it may be a while before other
    > > sources for accessories have products to market. Second, if you charge
    > > the battery on this camera, you can probably take 500 or more pictures
    > > before needing a battery charge. This should be adequate for anything
    > > short of professional use. And the charger IS portable to where there
    > > is an AC outlet.

    > My understanding is that the AC adapter is just that: an adapter. I don't
    > believe it will charge anything. See various reviews on the camera.
    > Although I could be wrong. :)
    >
    > In any case, thanks to all those who answered. You have given me a
    > framework on pricing and availability.

    You are right. The AC adapter that comes with the dock can be used to
    power the camera (power camera, not charge the battery). The battery
    can be charged by the dock, or you can buy a separate travel charger.

    --
    Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Garcia, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Tim Lapin

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rudy Garcia wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tim Lapin <> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >> Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >>>First, the DX6490 is a very new camera, it may be a while before other
    >>>sources for accessories have products to market. Second, if you charge
    >>>the battery on this camera, you can probably take 500 or more pictures
    >>>before needing a battery charge. This should be adequate for anything
    >>>short of professional use. And the charger IS portable to where there
    >>>is an AC outlet.

    >>My understanding is that the AC adapter is just that: an adapter. I don't
    >>believe it will charge anything. See various reviews on the camera.
    >>Although I could be wrong. :)
    >>
    >>In any case, thanks to all those who answered. You have given me a
    >>framework on pricing and availability.

    > You are right. The AC adapter that comes with the dock can be used to
    > power the camera (power camera, not charge the battery). The battery
    > can be charged by the dock, or you can buy a separate travel charger.

    I meant that the dock itself can be carried to any place where there is
    an AC outlet. It need not be connected to a computer to charge the
    batteries.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Tim Lapin

    LHBanchik Guest

    Re: Kodak DX6490 Battery availability - Avaliable on Amazon.com

    For what's it worth. Amazon carries the battery for $25.95. You can't find it
    by the normal methods though. You have to access it from the Kodak site. If
    you want to go there direcly the URL is
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000EI9VU/103-5220988-2286247

    They also sell the portable battery charger, which is very nice. Came with
    plug adapters for just about anywhere in the world where there is electricity.
    Makes me much less worried about taking the camera with me traveling.

    Lil
    Mr. Cole's Axiom: The sum of the intelligence of the planet is a constant.
    The population is increasing.

    LHBanchik, Dec 11, 2003