kodak dx6440 jpeg compression and lens sharpness question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Phillean, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Phillean

    Phillean Guest

    I am considering the Kodak dx6440, I was looking at other cameras but this
    seems like a great package.

    I need an in pocket camera with protected lens when not in use, good auto
    with selectable auto mode for the family to use plus lots of manual control
    for me. I was considering the Canon S45 but the Kodak is lots cheaper. I am
    familiar with the specs for both camera and have used a Canon S40 a few
    times so I know what that the S45 will feel like to use.

    I am interested to hear comments about the lens sharpness of the Kodak and
    the impact the Kodak compression which I understand is set for each level of
    megapixel output.

    A lesser need but something that may occur is photographing old family
    documents, scanning is not really a possibility given where they are stored,
    so I am interested in the lens characteristics for flat field photography -
    a big ask for most standard cameras. I have the equipment to do this in film
    but a pocket digital would be a lot more convenient.

    thank for any input

    Phil

    Phillean, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Phillean

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Phillean wrote:

    > I am considering the Kodak dx6440, I was looking at other cameras but this
    > seems like a great package.
    >
    > I need an in pocket camera with protected lens when not in use, good auto
    > with selectable auto mode for the family to use plus lots of manual control
    > for me. I was considering the Canon S45 but the Kodak is lots cheaper. I am
    > familiar with the specs for both camera and have used a Canon S40 a few
    > times so I know what that the S45 will feel like to use.
    >
    > I am interested to hear comments about the lens sharpness of the Kodak and
    > the impact the Kodak compression which I understand is set for each level of
    > megapixel output.
    >
    > A lesser need but something that may occur is photographing old family
    > documents, scanning is not really a possibility given where they are stored,
    > so I am interested in the lens characteristics for flat field photography -
    > a big ask for most standard cameras. I have the equipment to do this in film
    > but a pocket digital would be a lot more convenient.
    >
    > thank for any input
    >
    > Phil

    From the Steve's Digicam review:

    The DX6440 is equiped with a high-quality Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon
    4X optical zoom lens with a focal range of 5.5-21.98mm (33 - 132 mm
    equivalent in 35mm format). The aperture range is f/2.2 - 5.6 in wide
    angle and from f/4.8 - 13 in telephoto.

    The autofocus range is 19.7 inches to infinity in normal mode and in
    close-up mode it covers from 3.9 to 23.6" in wideangle and from 9.8 to
    33.5" in telephoto. The auto focus is high speed and low light capable
    with selectable multi-zone or center-zone modes.

    ----
    This lens should serve your needs well.
    However, there are not a lot of manual controls on this camera, but
    rather switch settings for various common uses. If you are interested
    in maximum manual function for creativity, it might not be the camera
    for you, but I sure would like to have one!

    Ron Hunter, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Phillean

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: kodak dx6440 jpeg compression and lens sharpness question
    >From: "Phillean"
    >Date: 10/3/03 3:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >I am considering the Kodak dx6440, I was looking at other cameras but this
    >seems like a great package.
    >
    >I need an in pocket camera with protected lens when not in use, good auto
    >with selectable auto mode for the family to use plus lots of manual control
    >for me. I was considering the Canon S45 but the Kodak is lots cheaper. I am
    >familiar with the specs for both camera and have used a Canon S40 a few
    >times so I know what that the S45 will feel like to use.
    >
    >I am interested to hear comments about the lens sharpness of the Kodak and
    >the impact the Kodak compression which I understand is set for each level of
    >megapixel output.
    >
    >A lesser need but something that may occur is photographing old family
    >documents, scanning is not really a possibility given where they are stored,
    >so I am interested in the lens characteristics for flat field photography -
    >a big ask for most standard cameras. I have the equipment to do this in film
    >but a pocket digital would be a lot more convenient.
    >
    >thank for any input
    >
    >Phil

    It has a Schneider lens so it can't be all bad.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Phillean

    Phillean Guest

    Ron

    Thanks for your response

    In addition to the things you mentioned there is also a manual setting which
    gives aperature or shutter priority.

    See the description of PAS on
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/DX6440_pg2.html

    Another feature that looks very good is the indoor /low light response.

    Phil

    Phillean, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Phillean

    Phillean Guest

    Art

    Yes the lens looks very good.

    phil

    Phillean, Oct 4, 2003
  6. Phillean

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: kodak dx6440 jpeg compression and lens sharpness question
    >From: "Phillean"
    >Date: 10/4/03 1:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time

    >Art
    >
    >Yes the lens looks very good.
    >
    >phil

    They must be selling a zillion of them Every place I tried is out of stock and
    waiting new shipments.

    ArtKramr, Oct 4, 2003