Kodak DX6340 Observations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by E Jones, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. E Jones

    E Jones Guest

    I just got a Kodak DX6340 camera. My old DC280 up and died, so I traded it
    in to Kodak for a refurbished camera. My initial impressions of the camera
    are favorable, but I have yet to read all of the manual yet, nor have I had
    any prints made yet.

    I do have some complaints about the EasyShare software, though. It is NOT
    intuitive, at least to me, and it exhibits many traits that are my pet
    peeves when it comes to application software of any sort.

    First of all, there was a tag on the USB cable warning me to install Kodak's
    software before connecting the camera. Darn. I was led to believe by
    someone that the camera would just show up as a drive if it was connected to
    the USB port. Oh well... I obeyed the warning and installed the software.
    Like most packages, it feels like it is the only reason in the world you own
    a computer. Open a JPG image, and the software wants to add it to "your
    collection," whatever the hell that means. (Is it doubling the require disk
    storage by duplicating images?) It also automatically launches itself
    (something in the registry, I am sure, since it does not place a shortcut in
    the Startup folder) whether you want it or not, puts an item in the System
    Tray and also puts a shortcut icon on the desktop.

    I may at some point figure out how to have this software minimally
    functional on my system so that it does what I want, only WHEN I want. It
    does seem to have some interesting effects built in. Until then, I'll
    concentrate on learning more about the camera and try not to get too steamed
    about the software.

    Any other tips or opinions on this software?

    - Earl

    E Jones, Sep 12, 2003

  2. E Jones

    andrew Guest

    "E Jones" <> wrote in message
    > First of all, there was a tag on the USB cable warning me to install

    Kodak's
    > software before connecting the camera. Darn. I was led to believe by
    > someone that the camera would just show up as a drive if it was connected

    > the USB port. Oh well... I obeyed the warning and installed the software.
    > Like most packages, it feels like it is the only reason in the world you

    own
    > a computer. Open a JPG image, and the software wants to add it to "your
    > collection," whatever the hell that means. (Is it doubling the require

    disk
    > storage by duplicating images?) It also automatically launches itself
    > (something in the registry, I am sure, since it does not place a shortcut

    in
    > the Startup folder) whether you want it or not, puts an item in the System
    > Tray and also puts a shortcut icon on the desktop.
    > Any other tips or opinions on this software?

    when you install the software, isn't there an option for CUSTOM install?
    most applications will allow you to load drivers only. then again, kodak is
    mostly intended for those not computer-savvy (not taking a stab at you, but
    the whole easyshare system is aimed at reluctant, non-technical digital
    buyers). also, there should be an option somewhere in the software menu
    (most likely accessed by rick-clicking on the item in the system tray) that
    would allow you to turn off the launch on start-up feature. however, you
    seem like you know what you're doing so maybe you've already tried these
    steps?

    andrew, Sep 12, 2003

  3. E Jones

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Earl,

    I can appreciate your questions, and am glad to address them.

    The request that you do not plug in the camera prior to installing the
    software is to reduce the chance of getting an error in the registry making
    it more difficult in some cases. The camera should show up as another drive
    in your system.

    EasyShare is a cataloging program that uses links to images. Essentially,
    it catalogs the pictures it takes in from cameras, as well as from your hard
    drive, memory card reader, CDs and other removeable media. The images are
    stored on your hard drive once, then links to them are created in EasyShare.
    It does not take in image files with the same name twice.

    EasyShare is added to the Start folder under the heading 'Kodak' in
    'Programs' Under Kodak is a link called EasyShare. There is also a link
    added to the Systray so you can activate the program easily with one click.
    If you want an icon in the start area, you can edit the operating system to
    do this.

    I am glad to help you with any questions you have about the system, Earl, or
    any other Kodak product or service. And, of course, imaging in general if
    you like.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Kodak

    Ron Baird, Sep 22, 2003
  4. Go get a real digital camera. Kodak and Fuji make great film and
    darkroom supplies. Cameras are not their best work.

    Proud USA Babe, Sep 22, 2003
  5. E Jones

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Proud USA Babe wrote:
    > Go get a real digital camera. Kodak and Fuji make great film and
    > darkroom supplies. Cameras are not their best work.
    >

    > "E Jones" <> wrote in message news:<bna8b.50045$>...
    >
    >>I just got a Kodak DX6340 camera. My old DC280 up and died, so I traded it
    >>in to Kodak for a refurbished camera. My initial impressions of the camera
    >>are favorable, but I have yet to read all of the manual yet, nor have I had
    >>any prints made yet.
    >>
    >>I do have some complaints about the EasyShare software, though. It is NOT
    >>intuitive, at least to me, and it exhibits many traits that are my pet
    >>peeves when it comes to application software of any sort.
    >>
    >>First of all, there was a tag on the USB cable warning me to install Kodak's
    >>software before connecting the camera. Darn. I was led to believe by
    >>someone that the camera would just show up as a drive if it was connected to
    >>the USB port. Oh well... I obeyed the warning and installed the software.
    >>Like most packages, it feels like it is the only reason in the world you own
    >>a computer. Open a JPG image, and the software wants to add it to "your
    >>collection," whatever the hell that means. (Is it doubling the require disk
    >>storage by duplicating images?) It also automatically launches itself
    >>(something in the registry, I am sure, since it does not place a shortcut in
    >>the Startup folder) whether you want it or not, puts an item in the System
    >>Tray and also puts a shortcut icon on the desktop.
    >>
    >>I may at some point figure out how to have this software minimally
    >>functional on my system so that it does what I want, only WHEN I want. It
    >>does seem to have some interesting effects built in. Until then, I'll
    >>concentrate on learning more about the camera and try not to get too steamed
    >>about the software.
    >>
    >>Any other tips or opinions on this software?
    >>
    >> - Earl

    Your opinion, and you are welcome to it, even if it is wrong.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 23, 2003