Kodak DX4900 battery problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rick Courtier, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery problems.
    I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge on these
    batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing that the
    batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and these also
    were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the battery
    indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back in and was
    able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show that the
    batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After taking them out
    and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more picture then would
    go and show again the battery was low. I was not using the flash at all. And
    I also tried and put in another set of freshly charged Kodak rechargable
    batteries and it would do the same.

    Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
    through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
    much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
    been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new off
    Ebay a little over a year ago.

    Thanks for any help!
    --
    Rick Courtier

    Sky Hawk
    Transtar 2E
    1905 Farm Wagon
    Rick Courtier, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Rick Courtier

    Jer Guest

    Rick Courtier wrote:
    > My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery problems.
    > I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge on these
    > batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing that the
    > batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and these also
    > were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the battery
    > indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back in and was
    > able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show that the
    > batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After taking them out
    > and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more picture then would
    > go and show again the battery was low. I was not using the flash at all. And
    > I also tried and put in another set of freshly charged Kodak rechargable
    > batteries and it would do the same.
    >
    > Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
    > through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
    > much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
    > been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new off
    > Ebay a little over a year ago.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    Was the same charger used to recharge these batteries? If so, maybe the
    charger isn't completely charging the batteries. Try recharging with a
    different charger.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Oct 11, 2004

  3. No, I the Durcells are new non-chargables new from the store.

    Rick Courtier, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Rick Courtier

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rick Courtier wrote:
    > My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery problems.
    > I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge on these
    > batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing that the
    > batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and these also
    > were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the battery
    > indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back in and was
    > able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show that the
    > batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After taking them out
    > and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more picture then would
    > go and show again the battery was low. I was not using the flash at all. And
    > I also tried and put in another set of freshly charged Kodak rechargable
    > batteries and it would do the same.
    >
    > Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
    > through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
    > much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
    > been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new off
    > Ebay a little over a year ago.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    If you will browse through the battery section of your manual, you will
    find that alakaline batteries are NOT recommended for use in your
    camera. And you have discovered the reason. Because of internal
    resistance, they are not able to deliver the power stored in them. Use
    NIMH rechargeables.
    Ron Hunter, Oct 11, 2004
  5. That would explain the Durcells, but the rechargeable Nimh battery are still
    an issue too. I will go out and try another charger. With fresh new
    rechargeables just to rule everything out. . . but it seams to me that it
    something else.

    thanks

    Rick Courtier, Oct 11, 2004
  6. Rick Courtier

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It could be the camera, but I would bet on the charger/batteries.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 11, 2004
  7. Rick Courtier

    Matt Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:23:59 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >Rick Courtier wrote:
    >> My Kodak DX4900 camera just this weekend started to have battery problems.
    >> I used rechargeable batteries and I thought I had a full charge on these
    >> batteries but after just a few pictures the camera was showing that the
    >> batteries were low. So I popped in a fresh set of durcells and these also
    >> were having the same problem after a few shots. I checked the battery
    >> indicators on the durcells and they show 100%. I popped them back in and was
    >> able to take a few more pictures until again the camera show that the
    >> batteries were getting low and then would shut off. After taking them out
    >> and putting them back in it would be fine for a few more picture then would
    >> go and show again the battery was low. I was not using the flash at all. And
    >> I also tried and put in another set of freshly charged Kodak rechargable
    >> batteries and it would do the same.
    >>
    >> Any suggestion? I really don't want to replace the camera allready or go
    >> through an expensive repair. . . the camera is not that old or used that
    >> much. I just use it for Studebaker cars shows and not that pictures have
    >> been taken on the camera. It is out of warranty I believe. I got it new off
    >> Ebay a little over a year ago.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!

    >If you will browse through the battery section of your manual, you will
    >find that alakaline batteries are NOT recommended for use in your
    >camera. And you have discovered the reason. Because of internal
    >resistance, they are not able to deliver the power stored in them. Use
    >NIMH rechargeables.

    If this is similar to my DX3700, It will be:
    1. Pair of NiMH AA
    2. Easyshare NiMH pack (if used with the Dock)
    3. CR-V3 Lithium
    4. Pair of Lithium AA

    There might also be a firmware update that adjusts it (like the 3700)
    - but the website is ABSOLUTELY USELESS at the moment - my browser has
    been spinning for evermore!

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
    Matt, Oct 11, 2004
  8. Rick Courtier

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Rick,

    Sorry to hear about your difficulty.

    The alkaline batteries you used are not really the best for your camera as
    it draws a lot of power in a way that will diminish a general alkaline. I
    suggest that if you want to use non rechargeable batteries you consider
    lithiums. Or, better, if you can find a CRV-3 battery, it should deliver
    more than sufficient power for a couple of hundred or more shots.

    Your best bet, of course, is to use a rechargable, i.e. the Kodak
    rechargables if you have a dock or battery recharger. If not, get some
    rechargable NiMH batteries as they should hold a good charge for you.

    Let me know how you make out. After trying the lithiums and you find you
    camera still does not work well, I will help you get your camera serviced,
    if you like.

    Talk to you soon, Rick,

    Best regards,

    Ron Baird