Kodak DX4530

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cheemag, Sep 29, 2006.

  1. Cheemag

    Cheemag Guest

    I have been having problems with this bloody awful camera ever
    since I bought it.

    Usually, at random intervals the camera will cease to function and
    freeze with the lens partly retracted. Mostly this can be overcome by
    switching off, removing the SD card, switching on, replacing the SD
    card.

    On other occasions that does not work and the SD card and batteries
    have to be removed and the camera kept out of use for 24 hours or so,
    when it will come back to life.

    Anyone else have this problem?

    (It's well out of guarantee).

    --

    Cheemag.

    Cheemag, Sep 29, 2006

  2. Cheemag

    rEn Guest

    I am the original owner of a Kodak DX4530 firmware version 1.0000
    I have been lucky i guess, no problems with mine.......yet.
    What kind of batteries are you using? I only use the Ni-MH rechargable
    batteries that came with it or other Ni-MH rechargable batteries that i
    have. I have heard a similar complaint on the net just recently. Sorry there
    was no follow up as to a repair.
    I would be qurious to know the fix, as i am shure its ether a bad circit on
    one of the little computer boards in it, or a buggy firmware version?

    --
    KD7DSK

    "Avery Little Bit' Helps"

    rEn, Sep 30, 2006

  3. Cheemag

    Cheemag Guest

    On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 23:21:18 -0700, "rEn" <> wrote:

    >I am the original owner of a Kodak DX4530 firmware version 1.0000
    >I have been lucky i guess, no problems with mine.......yet.
    >What kind of batteries are you using? I only use the Ni-MH rechargable
    >batteries that came with it or other Ni-MH rechargable batteries that i
    >have. I have heard a similar complaint on the net just recently. Sorry there
    >was no follow up as to a repair.

    I use the same batteries as you do, either NiMH rechargables or
    occasionally the high-capacity non-rechargeable double battery
    (expensive). The battery does not seem to be the problem.

    >I would be qurious to know the fix, as i am shure its ether a bad circit on
    >one of the little computer boards in it, or a buggy firmware version?

    As the camera come back to life after a time with the batteries
    removed, I'm inclined to think it must be a software problem
    in the worst case or some sort of inability to read the SD card
    in the other case.

    --

    Cheemag.

    Cheemag, Sep 30, 2006
  4. Cheemag

    m Ransley Guest

    You could try cleaning battery and terminal contacts. Are you sure the
    batterys are actualy charged, use a voltmeter to see if charge is
    correct. The only other idea is see if it has the defective Sony Ccd of
    02-03.

    m Ransley, Sep 30, 2006
  5. Cheemag

    rEn Guest

    I seem to remember hearing something about the SD memory cards as well. I
    just got a 1 gig from costco and it works well with the Kodak DX4530, but i
    heard that trying to use the 2 gig SD card wont work? The firmware doesnt
    support it.
    Just like trying to use a new 150 gig hard drive in an old 486,,,,the bios
    will only go up to say 500 meg, so thats all it can see.

    --
    KD7DSK

    "Avery Little Bit' Helps"

    rEn, Oct 1, 2006
  6. Cheemag

    rEn Guest

    Try Kodak customer support and see what they have to say. You are not the
    first to complain about these symptoms on this make and model.

    --
    KD7DSK

    "Avery Little Bit' Helps"

    rEn, Oct 1, 2006
  7. Cheemag

    Ron Hunter Guest

    rEn wrote:
    > I seem to remember hearing something about the SD memory cards as well. I
    > just got a 1 gig from costco and it works well with the Kodak DX4530, but i
    > heard that trying to use the 2 gig SD card wont work? The firmware doesnt
    > support it.
    > Just like trying to use a new 150 gig hard drive in an old 486,,,,the bios
    > will only go up to say 500 meg, so thats all it can see.

    Of the firmware supports 1GB, there is no reason I can see that it won't
    do 2GB.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 1, 2006
  8. Cheemag

    Cheemag Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:16:23 -0700, "rEn" <> wrote:

    >I seem to remember hearing something about the SD memory cards as well. I
    >just got a 1 gig from costco and it works well with the Kodak DX4530, but i
    >heard that trying to use the 2 gig SD card wont work? The firmware doesnt
    >support it.
    >Just like trying to use a new 150 gig hard drive in an old 486,,,,the bios
    >will only go up to say 500 meg, so thats all it can see.

    That could be the problem. I'll look for a new camera.

    (not Kodak)

    --

    73, Jim
    G4RGA

    Cheemag, Oct 1, 2006
  9. Cheemag

    Cheemag Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 20:23:29 -0500, Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >rEn wrote:
    >> I seem to remember hearing something about the SD memory cards as well. I
    >> just got a 1 gig from costco and it works well with the Kodak DX4530, but i
    >> heard that trying to use the 2 gig SD card wont work? The firmware doesnt
    >> support it.
    >> Just like trying to use a new 150 gig hard drive in an old 486,,,,the bios
    >> will only go up to say 500 meg, so thats all it can see.
    >>

    >Of the firmware supports 1GB, there is no reason I can see that it won't
    >do 2GB.

    The cards I use are 128K and 512K.

    I did send it back to Kodak the first time it happened, but they say
    there was nothing wrong with it. Unsurprising as it probably had
    reset itself by the time it got to them.

    --

    73, Jim
    G4RGA

    Cheemag, Oct 1, 2006
  10. Cheemag

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Cheemag wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:16:23 -0700, "rEn" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I seem to remember hearing something about the SD memory cards as well. I
    >> just got a 1 gig from costco and it works well with the Kodak DX4530, but i
    >> heard that trying to use the 2 gig SD card wont work? The firmware doesnt
    >> support it.
    >> Just like trying to use a new 150 gig hard drive in an old 486,,,,the bios
    >> will only go up to say 500 meg, so thats all it can see.

    > That could be the problem. I'll look for a new camera.
    >
    > (not Kodak)

    I see. One failure and you ditch the brand. On that basis, what kind
    of car do you drive? Doesn't that idea seem a bit strange to you?
    Research your needs, and what is available, and ignore the brand.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 2, 2006
  11. Cheemag

    John Turco Guest

    m Ransley wrote:

    > You could try cleaning battery and terminal contacts. Are you sure the
    > batterys are actualy charged, use a voltmeter to see if charge is
    > correct. The only other idea is see if it has the defective Sony Ccd of
    > 02-03.

    Hello, m Ransley:

    A Canon sensor, in a Kodak camera? Bite your tongue! :-J

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 2, 2006
  12. Cheemag

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Cheemag,

    Sorry to hear that you are having trouble like this.

    Generally, if the camera shuts down by itself it is due to a low power
    supply or possibly heat. More likely due to low power. If you are using a
    rechargeable battery, make sure that it is fully charged. Sometimes if you
    leave the camera on the dock for a length of time the power will drain and
    you will not get as many pictures as you might like. In that scenario, place
    the camera on the dock and charge the camera. After an hour, remove the
    camera for 5 minutes or so, and replace it again. Do this on and off for a
    day or so until the camera shows a full charge (even if it does not). See if
    this makes a difference in the number of pictures you get.

    For a real test, try using your camera with a lithium battery (CRV-3). It
    should give you at least 300 pictures and more likely more. If you find this
    to be true, your camera is fine and it is the way the batteries are being
    charged that is the culprit.

    Let me know how you make out.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Oct 12, 2006
  13. Cheemag

    hfs2 Guest

    Cheemag wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 20:23:29 -0500, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >
    > >rEn wrote:
    > >> I seem to remember hearing something about the SD memory cards as well. I
    > >> just got a 1 gig from costco and it works well with the Kodak DX4530, but i
    > >> heard that trying to use the 2 gig SD card wont work? The firmware doesnt
    > >> support it.
    > >> Just like trying to use a new 150 gig hard drive in an old 486,,,,the bios
    > >> will only go up to say 500 meg, so thats all it can see.
    > >>

    > >Of the firmware supports 1GB, there is no reason I can see that it won't
    > >do 2GB.

    > The cards I use are 128K and 512K.
    >
    > I did send it back to Kodak the first time it happened, but they say
    > there was nothing wrong with it. Unsurprising as it probably had
    > reset itself by the time it got to them.
    >
    > --
    >
    > 73, Jim
    > G4RGA

    EXACTLY .. my DX4330 used to do that all the time, then it aged. Now
    only once and awhile. I was in mine awhile back changing the flash
    module. It's got a little TI processor
    in there with 5 or 6 power supplies. I'm not surprised they said it
    was ok. Intermit problems
    with computers are never fixed. You replace them. I had another
    problem with mine too
    that still happens, it will not recognize the card and uses the
    internal memory.

    If you finally have nothing to loose, you might just peek inside and
    carefully look at the quality of the surface
    mounts. The pitch on these things are so small, and with the advent of
    noclean fluxes are a quality control
    nightmare. My joints looked good. In electronics it goes like this;
    power supplies, then connections, and lastly
    failed components.

    hfs2, Oct 12, 2006