Kodak Digital camera problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Aldrich, Jun 10, 2008.

  1. John Aldrich

    John Aldrich Guest

    I've got a problem with a Kodak EasyShare Digital camera that we
    bought several years ago... when it's on battery power, and you power
    it up, it immediately asks for the date, extends the lens, then shuts
    down. I was researching replacement Kodak cameras on NewEgg (I like
    their user reviews and have had good service on computer stuff with
    them) and saw several complaints that *brand new* Kodak cameras were
    having that problem.

    Can anyone here speak to whether or not this is a problem with Kodak
    cameras in general, or know how to fix this problem?

    If this is a problem with Kodak cameras, what do you folks recommend
    for someone who's reasonably technical (I had a year of photography in
    college,) but wants something for vacation photos, etc? While it would
    be nice to continue with SD cards (since I have several) it doesn't
    really matter, as I have a multi-card reader on my computer, and most
    cameras have a USB port anyway. I'm not looking to spend more than
    about $150-200.
     
    John Aldrich, Jun 10, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John Aldrich

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:12:07 -0700, John Aldrich wrote:

    > I've got a problem with a Kodak EasyShare Digital camera that we bought
    > several years ago... when it's on battery power, and you power it up, it
    > immediately asks for the date, extends the lens, then shuts down. I was
    > researching replacement Kodak cameras on NewEgg (I like their user
    > reviews and have had good service on computer stuff with them) and saw
    > several complaints that *brand new* Kodak cameras were having that
    > problem.
    >
    > Can anyone here speak to whether or not this is a problem with Kodak
    > cameras in general, or know how to fix this problem?
    >
    > If this is a problem with Kodak cameras, what do you folks recommend for
    > someone who's reasonably technical (I had a year of photography in
    > college,) but wants something for vacation photos, etc? While it would
    > be nice to continue with SD cards (since I have several) it doesn't
    > really matter, as I have a multi-card reader on my computer, and most
    > cameras have a USB port anyway. I'm not looking to spend more than about
    > $150-200.


    I have not had any similar issues with my P850 - that's all I can tell
    you. IMHO the P series (now discontinued, but still available at the
    online store) was a really good camera - I'm completely satisfied with
    mine.
     
    ray, Jun 10, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John Aldrich

    John Aldrich Guest

    On Jun 10, 12:43 pm, "Boogie Woogie" <piano@music> wrote:
    >
    > Root Cause of your problem and first word of your Subject are the same....
    >

    I take it then that you are not fond of Kodak Digital cameras? What
    then would you recommend for a similar price level?
     
    John Aldrich, Jun 10, 2008
    #3
  4. John Aldrich

    John Aldrich Guest

    On Jun 10, 11:23 am, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    > John Aldrich wrote:
    > > I've got a problem with a Kodak EasyShare Digital camera that we
    > > bought several years ago... when it's on battery power, and you power
    > > it up, it immediately asks for the date, extends the lens, then shuts
    > > down. I was researching replacement Kodak cameras on NewEgg (I like
    > > their user reviews and have had good service on computer stuff with
    > > them) and saw several complaints that *brand new* Kodak cameras were
    > > having that problem.

    >
    > > Can anyone here speak to whether or not this is a problem with Kodak
    > > cameras in general, or know how to fix this problem?

    >
    > > If this is a problem with Kodak cameras, what do you folks recommend
    > > for someone who's reasonably technical (I had a year of photography in
    > > college,) but wants something for vacation photos, etc? While it would
    > > be nice to continue with SD cards (since I have several) it doesn't
    > > really matter, as I have a multi-card reader on my computer, and most
    > > cameras have a USB port anyway. I'm not looking to spend more than
    > > about $150-200.

    >
    > I have experience with 3 different Kodak digital camera models, over the
    > last 5 years, and have been very happy with all of them. If I have any
    > criticism to offer it is that Kodak tends to compress files too much,
    > given how cheap flash media has become. My wifes C743 has been an
    > excellent camera for general purpose, and produces very good pictures,
    > but is not intended for low light pictures, and simply will not focus in
    > low light. My older DX6440 works fine in low light, assuming one can
    > get it steady enough to allow adequate length of exposure without blur.
    >
    > Your problem may be inadequate contact with the camera batteries. Some
    > corrosion, or just a bit of oily residue, can get on the contacts on the
    > battery door, or the batteries themselves. Clean them with a dry coarse
    > cloth, and try again.
    >

    Yeah... I believe mine is a DX series. I wish they still made that
    series. I'll try a little bit of emery cloth or something and see if
    that helps....
     
    John Aldrich, Jun 10, 2008
    #4
  5. John Aldrich

    John Aldrich Guest

    On Jun 10, 4:08 pm, "Boogie Woogie" <piano@music> wrote:
    >
    > > I take it then that you are not fond of Kodak Digital cameras? What
    > > then would you recommend for a similar price level?

    >
    > Nah, I was just ragging on you.This month's issue of Consumer Reports rates
    > compact and subcompact digital cameras. Lots of good choices in your price
    > range.
    >

    Ahh... Ok. Thanks. If cleaning the contacts doesn't fix it, I'll give
    that a shot.
     
    John Aldrich, Jun 10, 2008
    #5
  6. John Aldrich

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:08:50 -0400, Boogie Woogie wrote:

    > "John Aldrich" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Jun 10, 12:43 pm, "Boogie Woogie" <piano@music> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Root Cause of your problem and first word of your Subject are the
    >>> same....
    >>>

    >> I take it then that you are not fond of Kodak Digital cameras? What
    >> then would you recommend for a similar price level?

    >
    > Nah, I was just ragging on you.This month's issue of Consumer Reports
    > rates compact and subcompact digital cameras. Lots of good choices in
    > your price range.


    As long as you take their ratings with a grain or two of salt. I recall
    several years back when they marked a car down because it was delivered in
    the wrong color. And, typically, I find that they do not even address
    specifications I find to be very important - for example, they've gone
    through complete discussions of EVF cameras without ever addressing the
    resolution of the EVFs!!
     
    ray, Jun 11, 2008
    #6
  7. John Aldrich

    John Turco Guest

    John Aldrich wrote:
    >
    > I've got a problem with a Kodak EasyShare Digital camera that we
    > bought several years ago... when it's on battery power, and you power
    > it up, it immediately asks for the date, extends the lens, then shuts
    > down. I was researching replacement Kodak cameras on NewEgg (I like
    > their user reviews and have had good service on computer stuff with
    > them) and saw several complaints that *brand new* Kodak cameras were
    > having that problem.
    >
    > Can anyone here speak to whether or not this is a problem with Kodak
    > cameras in general, or know how to fix this problem?
    >
    > If this is a problem with Kodak cameras, what do you folks recommend
    > for someone who's reasonably technical (I had a year of photography in
    > college,) but wants something for vacation photos, etc? While it would
    > be nice to continue with SD cards (since I have several) it doesn't
    > really matter, as I have a multi-card reader on my computer, and most
    > cameras have a USB port anyway. I'm not looking to spend more than
    > about $150-200.



    Hello, John:

    Here is my advice, as the satisfied owner of numerous Kodak digicams:
    I think that you should still stay with Kodak, regardless of what you
    read, on NewEgg; all camera companies turn out duds, sometimes.

    Good luck!


    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
     
    John Turco, Jun 14, 2008
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JR Berry

    Kodak EasyShare Shutdown Problem for Kodak 4530

    JR Berry, Jun 2, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,354
  2. Hellenic Mensa
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    450
    John McWilliams
    Aug 30, 2004
  3. Ron Baird
    Replies:
    28
    Views:
    736
    JSN61
    Jan 10, 2005
  4. enri
    Replies:
    72
    Views:
    1,357
  5. enri
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    325
Loading...

Share This Page