Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c digital SLRs have been discontinued...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Newsgroups, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. Newsgroups

    Newsgroups Guest

    Hmmm....

    Tuesday, 31 May 2005 16:10 GMT

    Kodak has today confirmed that the DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c digital
    SLRs have been discontinued and will no longer be manufactured. Kodak
    assures that existing owners will continue to be supported through 2008 and
    that this will include firmware and Photodesk updates if required.

    Kodak will continue to develop CCD and CMOS image sensors and this
    announcement does not affect their consumer digital cameras. Kodak was keen
    to stress that this does not mark the end of Kodak digital SLR's but that
    they wished to concentrate on market segments which are more profitable.
    Newsgroups, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Newsgroups

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Newsgroups" <> writes:
    > Kodak has today confirmed that the DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c digital
    > SLRs have been discontinued and will no longer be manufactured. Kodak
    > assures that existing owners will continue to be supported through 2008 and
    > that this will include firmware and Photodesk updates if required.

    These cameras were about $4500 when introduced and there was a $1000
    price reduction or rebate towards the end. I don't know if there were
    dealer discounts in addition to that. Maybe they'll get even less
    expensive now that they're discontinued, or maybe not. If there were
    $500 in discounts to begin with and another $500 drop from the camera
    being discontinued, that's $2500 for a 14 megapixel camera, which is
    somewhat interesting even if it's a studio-only camera. I don't think
    you can get an MF scanning back without spending a lot more.
    Paul Rubin, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Newsgroups

    ASAAR Guest

    On 31 May 2005 18:42:05 -0700, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    > that's $2500 for a 14 megapixel camera, which is
    > somewhat interesting even if it's a studio-only camera.

    The version introduced in 2002, the DCS 14/n was the one that was
    of little use outside of the studio. The DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro
    SLR/c used a different sensor that wasn't nearly as limiting. One
    review I've read indicated that "the new model's output remains
    excellent at 200", "at ISO 400, some chroma noise creeps into the
    shadows", and "I'd only shoot at 800 if forced." It's still not the
    fastest kit on the block, but can be taken outside when it behaves.
    ASAAR, Jun 1, 2005