Kodak DC290 embeds WAVs within JPGs - how do I extract ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ScottHW, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. ScottHW

    ScottHW Guest

    I have had this DC290 since 1999, and am just now discovering this issue
    that many users figured out back in 2000. The Kodak Connection software
    takes care of this, but I am no longer relying on it. Well, actually it
    only took care of half way - it copies out the embedded WAV, but leaves it
    in the original JPG - what a waste of disk space! Or is it ? Is there some
    application where you would want that embedded ? Here is a snippet from
    such a post back in 2000:

    ==============
    There is an (apparent) bug in the Kodak driver when you drag a .wav file
    from the camera folder. My brother and I independently discovered this
    problem a few weeks ago. In fact, when you see a separate .wav file in the
    folder view, it is the driver playing tricks; the .wav data is embedded in
    the .jpg file and the driver is attempting to make it look like it's a
    separate file. If you put the CF card into a PDA (or CF card reader) you'll
    only see the .jpg files.
    ==============

    Can anyone make a recommendation how to clean this up ? I now have a large
    archive of JPGs that I need remove the embedded WAV from, and going forward
    need to be able to split them up as I move JPGs from the DC290 using a card
    reader. Without leaving the embedded WAV in the JPG, for disk space
    reasons.

    Thanks,
    Scott

    ScottHW, Jun 30, 2004

  2. ScottHW

    Tom Scales Guest

    See my response to your previous thread. It's not a bug, it is the design.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 30, 2004

  3. ScottHW

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Scott,

    Love your camera, one of my favorites. I liked the scripting, the sound,
    and ability to create TIFF format files.

    As to the sound files, if you are downloading the audio files for a DC290
    and you have the camera tethered to the computer via USB or serial
    connection, the audio file will appear in the DC290_01 folder with the same
    file name as the image. It will have a file extension of WAV, along with
    the associated JPG file. Copy both files to the same folder to maintain the
    relationship.

    If you attempt to transfer the images via a card reader or picture card
    adapter, the audio file will not appear as a separate file in the DC290_01
    folder. In Windows 98 only, you can single-click with the right mouse
    button on the image file and select 'Properties' from the menu. Click on
    the 'Picture' tab. Click on the 'Extract' button and select a folder to
    which you can extract the audio file. Be sure to copy your image file(s) to
    the same folders as their respective audio files.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jun 30, 2004