    Can anybody corroborate their experience and diagnosis?

    Thanks,

    - TK

    Tripp Knightly, Aug 16, 2003

  2. Tripp Knightly

    JK Guest

    Did you try cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment? You could also
    try to bend the contacts in the bottom of the battery compartment so that they
    make tighter contact with the batteries. Have you tried batteries that were
    charged elsewhere? Perhaps your charger isn't working properly?

    JK, Aug 16, 2003

  3. Allodoxaphobia <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:36:04 -0400, JK hath writ:
    > > Did you try cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment? You could also
    > > try to bend the contacts in the bottom of the battery compartment so that they
    > > make tighter contact with the batteries. Have you tried batteries that were
    > > charged elsewhere? Perhaps your charger isn't working properly?
    > >
    > > Tripp Knightly wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a Kodak DC280 digicam. Have tried numerous sets / types of
    > >> fresh batteries, including Kodak's own rechargeable Ni-Mh's meant for
    > >> the camera (fully-charged). It powers up and works fine using AC
    > >> adapter.
    > >>
    > >> When I turn it on, all I get is a very faint & brief sound like the
    > >> lens motor moving (though the lens makes no apparent motion at all).
    > >>
    > >> Can anybody corroborate their experience and diagnosis?

    > Following up on the Top Poster...
    > I, too, have a DC-280. Until recently I only ever ran it on
    > alkalines -- using only the viewfinder and *not* the LCD. I
    > would get A LOT of mileage out of a set of batteries. But,
    > in the last 6 months or so, I've noticed the kind of problem
    > you are relating. What has worked for me (so far) is reseating
    > the batteries, and opening and closing that sliding/snap closure
    > over the battery compartment. I'd betcha our cameras are
    > developing loose contacts and/or "invisible" corrosion/crude
    > on the contact faces. (-: I've just be too lazy to `work` the
    > problem so far. I always wait until things like this become
    > a "disaster". :)
    >
    > p.s. Do you notice that your camera `shoots` higher than, and
    > "lefter" than what your viewfinder frames? My does --
    > but, I've adapted...
    >
    > HTH

    So here's a little more info & a follow-up question. Based on above
    response, after trying a little more I HAVE occasionally been able to
    get some SPOTTY response from the camera under battery power. For
    example, can view pictures on the camera. Less luck taking a picture
    - maybe 1 time out of 10 tries, with or without allowing flash to
    fire. When it doesn't work, the camera often goes from indicating
    ready in the LCD, to indicating solely a strange "7E" in the LCD and
    then going unresponsive. Predictably, Kodak has no troubleshooting
    info in the user manual to help diagnose what "7E" means.

    My question is: Assuming I need to clean the battery contacts
    (something also not described in the manual), how do I do it - rubbing
    alcohol on a q-tip, steel wool, what?

    Thx,

    - TK

    PS, I've also found that more than once the camera has become
    completely dead regardless of battery or AC power source, requiring a
    kludgey re-set procedure not described in the manual but only at:

    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib4143l.shtml

    (I wonder how many less-technical users have experienced this and
    given up on their cameras for new ones thinking their cameras are
    broken and don't want to spring for expen$ive repair - or just gone
    back to film!?)

    Tripp Knightly, Aug 20, 2003
  4. Thanks for the continue good public support from Kodak, Ron.

    I think I've tried most of what you describe including esp. just
    yesterday fresh rechargeables (Energizer NiMH, 1850 mAh) freshly
    charged on my Kodak K200 charger. Change didn't seem gradual, though
    haven't used camera quite enough to notice a gradual change. Battery
    contacts seemed ok tension-wise and corrosion-wise - though I know
    those issues aren't always obvious.

    My next control in the experiment is to try those same batteries on
    another DC280 known fully working. Based on what you wrote below (AC
    power up generally implies battery power up feasability), if *that*
    camera works w/ those fresh batteries, then it's likely battery
    contact / tension issues. If it doesn't then I've been duped by a bad
    charger, bad luck w/ many batteries, or both!

    Will follow up...

    - TK

    Tripp Knightly, Aug 21, 2003
  5. So I tried using 2 different sets of charged NiMH (brand new
    Energizers as well as older Kodaks) in the other DC280. Both battery
    sets worked flawlessly in the other camera.

    Seems like a smoking gun for a problem w/ my camera, not my batteries.
    I also compared the contacts in the 2 cameras' battery compartments
    and there is no visible difference whatsoever. I can't help but think
    there's a cold solder joint or something on the battery power circuit.

    Now I'm left w/ the quandary of springing for a repair - which no
    doubt is ~ $75? or more or buying a new camera. Since the camera is
    only 2 megapixels, I may be throwing good money after bad resolution.

    One thing's for sure, if I do buy a new camera it may be tough to
    choose a Kodak. (Twice bitten...)

    - TK

    Tripp Knightly, Aug 21, 2003
  6. On 20 Aug 2003 21:14:00 -0700, Tripp Knightly hath writ:
    > Thanks for the continue good public support from Kodak, Ron.
    >
    > I think I've tried most of what you describe including esp. just
    > yesterday fresh rechargeables (Energizer NiMH, 1850 mAh) freshly
    > charged on my Kodak K200 charger. Change didn't seem gradual, though
    > haven't used camera quite enough to notice a gradual change. Battery
    > contacts seemed ok tension-wise and corrosion-wise - though I know
    > those issues aren't always obvious.
    >
    > My next control in the experiment is to try those same batteries on
    > another DC280 known fully working. Based on what you wrote below (AC
    > power up generally implies battery power up feasability), if *that*
    > camera works w/ those fresh batteries, then it's likely battery
    > contact / tension issues.

    Or, the ^$#^%$ power jack.
    I tinker with a lot of electronical apparati, and many of these
    widgets use a power jack to permit powering from the outside.
    These power jacks have a SPST "switch" (a push-aside contact when
    the plug is inserted) to dis-engage the batteries when external
    power is applied and I have quite a few of these fail. Usually
    it's a complete failure -- i.e., the push-aside contact never
    re-makes contact when the plug is withdrawn. As well, I've
    seen intermittent failures where the contact _is_ re-made, but
    only lightly -- and, I suppose under a high current draw such as
    a camera with lcd and flash and zoom, it would seem REALLY flakey.

    Just thinkin' out loud here...

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Aug 26, 2003
  7. Allodoxaphobia <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 20 Aug 2003 21:14:00 -0700, Tripp Knightly hath writ:
    > > Thanks for the continue good public support from Kodak, Ron.
    > >
    > > I think I've tried most of what you describe including esp. just
    > > yesterday fresh rechargeables (Energizer NiMH, 1850 mAh) freshly
    > > charged on my Kodak K200 charger. Change didn't seem gradual, though
    > > haven't used camera quite enough to notice a gradual change. Battery
    > > contacts seemed ok tension-wise and corrosion-wise - though I know
    > > those issues aren't always obvious.
    > >
    > > My next control in the experiment is to try those same batteries on
    > > another DC280 known fully working. Based on what you wrote below (AC
    > > power up generally implies battery power up feasability), if *that*
    > > camera works w/ those fresh batteries, then it's likely battery
    > > contact / tension issues.

    > Or, the ^$#^%$ power jack.
    > I tinker with a lot of electronical apparati, and many of these
    > widgets use a power jack to permit powering from the outside.
    > These power jacks have a SPST "switch" (a push-aside contact when
    > the plug is inserted) to dis-engage the batteries when external
    > power is applied and I have quite a few of these fail. Usually
    > it's a complete failure -- i.e., the push-aside contact never
    > re-makes contact when the plug is withdrawn. As well, I've
    > seen intermittent failures where the contact _is_ re-made, but
    > only lightly -- and, I suppose under a high current draw such as
    > a camera with lcd and flash and zoom, it would seem REALLY flakey.
    >
    > Just thinkin' out loud here...
    >
    > Jonesy

    Not a bad idea.

    If the plug/SPST mechanism is purely mechanical, then I'd think just
    inserting the plug (w/ or w/o adapter plugged into the wall) should
    disable battery power-up (I've seen this very thing on a boombox of
    mine for example). But, after testing what happens on a working
    DC280, the presence of the plug inserted has no bearing on battery
    power-up. So, my guess is the camera doesn't use a purely mechanical
    override (relay as well?) and my particular power-up fault isn't
    located at the adapter connection.

    Tripp Knightly, Aug 26, 2003