    exists!

    Tried reinstalling the Kodak software, but still the drive is gone.
    Anyone familiar with this problem? TIA.
    Chief Thracian, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Chief Thracian

    John O. Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Kodak's help files (online and off) do not answer my question. Maybe
    > someone here can help. My client has Drive E: for the memory
    > card...connected via a parallel port.
    >
    > Well, after unsuccessfully trying to install software for a an Iomega
    > USB CD-RW drive, we now discover that the Kodak card drive no longer
    > exists!
    >
    > Tried reinstalling the Kodak software, but still the drive is gone.
    > Anyone familiar with this problem? TIA.

    Did you actually plug the camera in again? Windows should re-assign a
    drive letter. Though it may be a different letter this time.
    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.
    John O., Jul 23, 2003

  3. I think you must be referring to the serial port connection? If so, and the
    client can afford/use a USB CD Writer, I HIGHLY recommend you get him a $30
    USB Compact Flash Card Reader.

    Shaw Goh \(NetPlus Micro Computers\), Jul 23, 2003
  4. John O. <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Did you actually plug the camera in again?

    Of course. "Plugging the camera in" is only a matter of plugging in
    the 4mb memory card that stores the photos.

    > Windows should re-assign a
    > drive letter. Though it may be a different letter this time.

    That's what I thought, too. But no, Windoze did not. I even had him
    disconnect the parallel port connection, and return it to the normal
    state...then boot up again...then shut down again, and plug back in
    the parallel connector...then boot up again.

    It's as if the extra drive never existed...all gone! Reinstalling the
    Kodak software didn't make any difference either.

    I guess that no one here is familiar with the parallel-port
    connection...which connection is NOT on Kodak's knowledge base (just
    the serial and USB connectors).
    Chief Thracian, Jul 23, 2003
  5. "Shaw Goh \(NetPlus Micro Computers\)" <> wrote in message news:<3f1e5505$>...
    > I think you must be referring to the serial port connection?

    Okay, I tracked down the parallel connector...produced by "datafab":

    http://www.datafabusa.com/parallel_port_memory_card_reader.htm

    The model I'm talking about is the MDCFE-SR...of which you'll see a
    piture.

    It came with my client's Kodak DC215 camera.

    Hopefully, I can now resolve the problem, via datafab. I think the
    installation of his USB RW-CD screwed up some *.dll files, by
    overwriting them with older ones. Hopefully, a fresh driver-install of
    the datafab connection will restore the corrupted files.

    Thanks for your help.
    Chief Thracian, Jul 23, 2003
  6. Chief Thracian

    Bill Jackson Guest

    The DC215 camera has only serial line connections, you plug the camera in
    (with the card in the camera) and it connects. The Kodak software will make
    this happen.

    I'll second the recommendation that you get a USB card reader, which is
    similar in function to the parallel reader that you have but more reliable.
    They're cheap. Otherwise, you're going to have to find the drivers for the
    parallel port reader from wherever your client got the drivers for the
    parallel port card reader that you have.

    Bill Jackson, Jul 24, 2003
  7. Chief Thracian

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Chief,

    I can appreciate your experience, Chief, and want to help. Since you are
    connecting through a parallel port, let me ask if you have any other devices
    connected that way? Are you using a pass through cable? Have you tried
    connecting using only the card reader and no other devices? I would try
    uninstalling all the related software, then reinstalling. Make sure that
    after uninstalling, you reinstall without the devices being connected. Once
    you have the Iomega software/drivers installed, try installing the software
    for the card reader. If that is all the devices that are installed, then
    the drivers are available on the Kodak website.

    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/downloads/dln00014s.jhtml?dlnlanguage
    =english&operating_system=Windows%20XP

    Download and install that driver to your system. Once it is installed,
    check the driver by plugging in the card reader to see if it can find your
    card reader.

    Let me know if you are successful.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Kodak

    Ron Baird, Jul 24, 2003
  8. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:54:28 -0400, "Bill Jackson"
    <> wrote:

    >The DC215 camera has only serial line connections,

    Totally untrue. See:

    http://www.datafabusa.com/parallel_port_memory_card_reader.htm

    This includes a photo of the various connectors, with the page title:

    Parallel Port Card Reader

    For a CLOSE-UP of the particular model I am talking about, see;

    http://www.datafabusa.com/productpage/mdcfe-sr.htm

    No way, by any stretch of the imagination, could you call that a
    "serial connection". It is a parallel port connection made
    SPECIFICALLY for digital camera memory cards.

    I'm afraid some folks are just too new to PC's, to know the
    DIFFERENCE between a parallel connection, and a serial
    connection. USB has been around long enough, for newer
    PC users to not know about parallel ports. So, like you,
    they INSIST that my reference to a parallel connection
    MUST be incorrect.

    Which only has the thread going in circles, spouting
    misinformation which then is picked up by other new
    computer users...who spread the PC-voodoo further.

    Ho-hum. It's one thing to not get any help with a question...
    another, for folks to PERSIST with ignorant statements,
    believing they are the LAST WORD.

    As it turns out, my client's Windoze98 system finally gave
    back the "drive E:" which was missing for several days...
    which drive is the one that connects the PARALLEL interface
    with his digital camera's memory card. No rhyme, no reason;
    it just decided to show up again.
    Chief Thracian, Jul 25, 2003