Kodak CX6200 vs. Old NiMH batteries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger Stone, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Roger Stone

    Roger Stone Guest

    Hello,

    I've just gotten a Kodak CX6200, and I'm perplexed by the variety of
    battery choices (disposable Li AA, disposable CRV3, rechargable CRV3,
    rechargable NiMH AA). For the short term, I've settled on using
    rechargable NiMH AA's, as we have lots of them deployed around the
    house, and a good charger (MAHA CH-401FS).

    The trouble is, some of my NiMH AA batteries seem to work in the camera,
    and others don't work at all, or work only for a few minutes. Based on
    a small sample of fully chared batteries (according to the charger), it
    appears that the oldest batteries (1500mAH NexCells) are worst - a pair
    of them won't even start up the camera. The charger thinks they're OK,
    and they work in other appliances (including a Nikon Coolpix 700 from
    prehistoric times).

    A pair of new NiMH AA batteries, even strange off-brand ones I got at
    Fry's, seems to work, though I haven't seen how long they last.

    What are the symptoms of aging in MiMH AA batteries? They're about 5
    years old, and have been in very regular use. I've gotten my value out
    of them, I'll admit, but I'm looking for some sort of test that will
    tell me it's finally time to toss them out.

    Are the entry-level Kodaks known to be especially picky about voltage,
    impedance, or other battery characteristics?

    Roger Stone, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Roger Stone

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Roger Stone wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've just gotten a Kodak CX6200, and I'm perplexed by the variety of
    > battery choices (disposable Li AA, disposable CRV3, rechargable CRV3,
    > rechargable NiMH AA). For the short term, I've settled on using
    > rechargable NiMH AA's, as we have lots of them deployed around the
    > house, and a good charger (MAHA CH-401FS).
    >
    > The trouble is, some of my NiMH AA batteries seem to work in the camera,
    > and others don't work at all, or work only for a few minutes. Based on
    > a small sample of fully chared batteries (according to the charger), it
    > appears that the oldest batteries (1500mAH NexCells) are worst - a pair
    > of them won't even start up the camera. The charger thinks they're OK,
    > and they work in other appliances (including a Nikon Coolpix 700 from
    > prehistoric times).
    >
    > A pair of new NiMH AA batteries, even strange off-brand ones I got at
    > Fry's, seems to work, though I haven't seen how long they last.
    >
    > What are the symptoms of aging in MiMH AA batteries? They're about 5
    > years old, and have been in very regular use. I've gotten my value out
    > of them, I'll admit, but I'm looking for some sort of test that will
    > tell me it's finally time to toss them out.
    >
    > Are the entry-level Kodaks known to be especially picky about voltage,
    > impedance, or other battery characteristics?

    I think you have already concluded that they have reached a point in
    their use life where they aren't up to the demands of a digital camera.
    You could use them for other things, or just throw them out. It seems
    that after 5 years they have returned your investment, several times over.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Roger Stone

    Roger Stone Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Roger Stone wrote:

    >> What are the symptoms of aging in MiMH AA batteries? They're about 5
    >> years old, and have been in very regular use. I've gotten my value
    >> out of them, I'll admit, but I'm looking for some sort of test that
    >> will tell me it's finally time to toss them out.
    >>

    > I think you have already concluded that they have reached a point in
    > their use life where they aren't up to the demands of a digital camera.
    > You could use them for other things, or just throw them out. It seems
    > that after 5 years they have returned your investment, several times over.

    Unquestionably - I'm just wondering if I should consider something else
    (e.g. RCR-V3) for this camera or if new NiMHs are the way to go.
    Not to mention, it might be time to replace _all_ our old NiMHs with new
    ones...

    Roger Stone, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Roger Stone

    hfs2 Guest

    What about loading a charged set into flashlite? I think a pr3 will draw
    1/2A, the hals will draw more. Come back after a movie. If you still
    have a light the batteries must be pretty good.

    Specs claim a 1.8AHr battery should go about 3 hours. Never checked
    it out though.

    hfs2, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Roger Stone

    hfs2 Guest

    About Kodaks and voltage. I have a dx4330 that goes nuts if
    I try and take pictures with the monitor on. I assume it must
    be a voltage thing - but that's a guess. It draws over an amp
    when viewing - I measured it.

    hfs2, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Roger Stone

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Roger Stone wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Roger Stone wrote:

    >>> What are the symptoms of aging in MiMH AA batteries? They're about 5
    >>> years old, and have been in very regular use. I've gotten my value
    >>> out of them, I'll admit, but I'm looking for some sort of test that
    >>> will tell me it's finally time to toss them out.
    >>>

    >> I think you have already concluded that they have reached a point in
    >> their use life where they aren't up to the demands of a digital
    >> camera. You could use them for other things, or just throw them out.
    >> It seems that after 5 years they have returned your investment,
    >> several times over.
    >>

    > Unquestionably - I'm just wondering if I should consider something else
    > (e.g. RCR-V3) for this camera or if new NiMHs are the way to go.
    > Not to mention, it might be time to replace _all_ our old NiMHs with new
    > ones...

    At this point, it doesn't seem economically beneficial to make a change
    of type. For those who haven't already invested in NIMH and charger,
    the choice isn't so clear. If I were at that point, I might go with the
    newer technology, were it not for the fact that I use the AA NIMH in
    other devices, ie., a GPS receiver.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Roger Stone

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Roger,

    I can appreciate your interest and am glad to help.

    You choice is a good one although the dock has a charging feature that will
    make the camera easier to use. Something to consider for the future. The
    battery charging method you did choose should provide great results as well
    and under normal conditions the batteries should last a long time. Digital
    cameras do take a certain amount of power that is higher than many other
    devices, so peak levels may be high and sustained, depending on what you are
    doing. The newest batteries we offer (2100 MAH) are very good and long
    lasting.

    I would also note that due to the nature of their chemistry, Ni-MH batteries
    perform better when used regularly. When they are not used, their internal
    chemicals can crystallize. This is very similar to how a jar of honey that
    has sat on the shelf a long time can crystallize. The crystallized part of
    the battery does not hold a charge and therefore reduces the overall charge
    capacity of the battery. In the case of honey, you can heat the jar to
    un-crystallize it. For the Ni-MH batteries, the conditioning process below
    will help reverse the crystallization and increase the capacity for holding
    a charge.

    If you use the camera infrequently, you may wish to consider using
    disposable CRV3 or AA lithium batteries. Many of our infrequent users have
    found the long storage capacity of this battery to outweigh the additional
    cost of it being disposable.

    If this conditioning process did not correct the charging issue with your
    battery, please respond to this email with your name, address, and phone
    number. To ensure priority service, please do not change the subject line
    of the reply. We will send a replacement battery along with a return
    envelope for your old battery.

    Talk to you soon, Roger, let me know if you have additional questions.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jun 28, 2004