Kodak Customer Service

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    John, Nov 18, 2003

  2. What makes you think Canon will be any better?

    Mr. Transistor, Nov 18, 2003

  3. John

    David Guest

    I like how they try to sell you on the ofoto site. Your camera does not
    work, how could you use the online photo site?

    David, Nov 18, 2003
  4. John

    John Guest

    A co-worker has a canon and has no issues updating the firmware on it.

    John, Nov 18, 2003
  5. John

    Steve Guest

    John wrote:
    > Have any of you had problems with Kodak Customer Service ?
    >
    > Please email with info.
    >
    > Check out http://www.geocities.com/kodakreallysucks
    >
    > My next camera will be a canon !!

    John:

    You are seriously mistaking yourself if you think that Canon will have good
    customer service. From my experience, they had the absolute worst service
    that I have experienced in over 30 years of photography. Do not buy from
    Canon!

    Last January, I sent my A series into Canon U.S.A. for repair of a defective
    CCD and defective viewfinder. To date, I have had to send the camera to
    Canon FOUR TIMES and they have still FAILED to repair the camera. I final
    wrote a letter to the President and CEO of Canon U.S.A. Mr. Kenya Uchiuda
    and this is what happened:

    My reply from a representative from Mr. Kinya Uuhiuda:

    Dear Mr. Haymes:

    Your recent letter to Mr. Kinya Uchiuda has been forwarded to my attention.
    Please allow me to respond on his behalf.

    <SNIP>

    The problem has been isolated to using the camera with the ISO set to 50.
    This causing the programming to select a slow shutter speed and in turn
    creating camera shake. Only by using your settings with a tri-pod could you
    eliminate the shake.

    <SNIP>

    <END OF CANON REPLY>

    In my letter to Canon, I wrote:

    Dear Mr. Uchiuda:

    I am writing this letter to express my dissatisfaction with Canon U.S.A.
    after waiting over 3 months and 2 failed repairs for Canon to resolve the
    problem with my defective PowerShot A40 digital camera.

    <SNIP>

    When I attempted to shoot some test pictures, I immediately observed that
    the viewfinder was blurry. Cleaning the lens with Kodak lens cleaner and
    cleaning tissue did not help.

    <SNIP>
    <END OF MY LETTER TO CANON>

    After over 30 years of experience in photography, I am certainly happy that
    the best that the President and CEO of Canon, U.S.A. could do is have a
    representative tell me that a low ISO setting caused the camera's program to
    select a low shutter speed creating camera shake. Unless there is something
    that I am missing after over 30 years of photography how does a slow shutter
    speed result in a blurry viewfinder? It results in a blurry picture but NOT
    a blurry viewfinder!

    Either Canon U.S.A. is very incompetent or they are very dishonest!

    I am glad that I did not bring my car to Canon with a "loose steering wheel"
    as they might have replaced my windshield wipers.

    If you want good customer service, then do NOT buy from Canon.

    Good luck,

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 18, 2003
  6. John

    Charlie Guest

    Moreover at last check Kodak has not yet farmed out their tech support to
    India!!
    Gosh...I hate that crap!!! Many have !!

    --

    Charlie in Mississippi

    Charlie, Nov 18, 2003
  7. John

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi John

    I am really sorry to hear of your trouble with Kodak support. Maybe I can
    help.

    I have reviewed the web pages you shared and it looks like you have a DX3215
    model, and that it failed during an update of the firmware. I guess what I
    would need to know would be why were you doing the update? Did you have a
    fresh power supply in place before attempting the update? I note that there
    was only one phone call where you were told the state of service due to the
    camera being over two years old. It did not include the reason for the
    update.

    If you like, John, I can have your camera reviewed to determine what
    happened (a bench-check) and returned to you. I will report to you about
    what is found. Please include your details and the answers to why you did
    the update, and if there was a power issue during the update.

    At the same time I am also sharing your experience with the email manager at
    Kodak for her review and sharing with that team. So, your voice has been
    heard, loud and clear.

    I am glad to be of service, John, and am usually around here should you need
    additional help. Please reply to my request using your email tool if you do
    not want to post your personal information.

    Best Regards, John, talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Nov 18, 2003
  8. John

    John Guest

    Ron,

    Thank you for responding. I will get all the relevant info to you this
    evening.

    John

    John, Nov 18, 2003
  9. John

    Troy Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:07:22 GMT, "David" <> wrote:

    > I like how they try to sell you on the ofoto site. Your camera does not
    > work, how could you use the online photo site?

    Personally, I think including advertisement in customer support emails
    is bad form. It makes it look like the person responding is just using a
    form to resolve the issue instead of giving you personal attention. This
    is especially true in this case, since the advertisement is for
    something that he obviously can't use.

    --
    Troy

    Troy, Nov 19, 2003
  10. John

    Thad Smith Guest

    Ron Baird wrote:

    > I am really sorry to hear of your trouble with Kodak support. Maybe I can
    > help.

    As a disinterested party, here are the issues that I see arising from
    the problem:

    1. The flash update procedure may be subject to locking up the camera.
    This is a design issue. A good design would allow for user recovery
    from an interrupted or bad update.

    2. There may be a known risk of lockup during update that wasn't
    disclosed in the documentation, subjecting the user to a risk he wasn't
    aware of. In this case, John said he wouldn't have attempted the update
    if he were aware of the risk.

    3. If there is a flaw or weakness in the update procedure which the
    vendor recommends that the user perform, I think they have some
    responsibility to fixing the problem caused by following the recommended
    procedure, even if out of normal warranty.

    I don't know how well these issues apply to this case, since I have only
    read the complaint and not any analysis of the actual problem.

    Thad

    Thad Smith, Nov 20, 2003
  11. John

    Harry Da Hat Guest

    On 18-Nov-2003, "John" <> wrote:

    > Have any of you had problems with Kodak Customer Service ?

    Several years ago, I owned a 4800. I never had a problem with their
    customer service or their tech support at that point. However, we're
    talking about the time frame when the DC4800 first came out. That was
    before digital photography became popular with the average person at home.
    Now, it seems that the average customer is anyone who has a pc at home and
    is looking for a good p&s camera to replace their disk camera or snapshot
    camera.

    Harry

    --

    Fuji Cameras Make The Best Pets!!!!!!!!!!

    mailto:

    Harry Da Hat, Nov 20, 2003
  12. John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Thad Smith wrote:
    > Ron Baird wrote:
    >

    >>I am really sorry to hear of your trouble with Kodak support. Maybe I can
    >>help.

    > As a disinterested party, here are the issues that I see arising from
    > the problem:
    >
    > 1. The flash update procedure may be subject to locking up the camera.
    > This is a design issue. A good design would allow for user recovery
    > from an interrupted or bad update.
    >
    > 2. There may be a known risk of lockup during update that wasn't
    > disclosed in the documentation, subjecting the user to a risk he wasn't
    > aware of. In this case, John said he wouldn't have attempted the update
    > if he were aware of the risk.
    >
    > 3. If there is a flaw or weakness in the update procedure which the
    > vendor recommends that the user perform, I think they have some
    > responsibility to fixing the problem caused by following the recommended
    > procedure, even if out of normal warranty.
    >
    > I don't know how well these issues apply to this case, since I have only
    > read the complaint and not any analysis of the actual problem.
    >
    > Thad

    Thad,
    The instructions for firmware updates DO have warnings about
    potential problems. So much so that although I wanted to do the
    firmware update, it was only a couple of weeks before I planned a
    vacation (cruise), so I delayed the update until after the cruise. I
    followed all instructions carefully, and had a successful update.
    UPdating of firmware is a risky business since some problems will result
    in a non-functional device, be it a camera, or a computer.

    Perhaps, in the future, such updates will be done in a manner that will
    allow a reversion to the old firmware if there is a failure, but I don't
    know of any that do this now.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 20, 2003
  13. John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Harry Da Hat wrote:
    > On 18-Nov-2003, "John" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Have any of you had problems with Kodak Customer Service ?

    > Several years ago, I owned a 4800. I never had a problem with their
    > customer service or their tech support at that point. However, we're
    > talking about the time frame when the DC4800 first came out. That was
    > before digital photography became popular with the average person at home.
    > Now, it seems that the average customer is anyone who has a pc at home and
    > is looking for a good p&s camera to replace their disk camera or snapshot
    > camera.
    >
    > Harry

    While it certainly does enhance the enjoyment, having a computer at home
    is NOT required at this time. One can still take the flash card to a
    photo printer and get prints, just like they can from a film camera, and
    often cheaper since there is no development cost. In short, one can buy
    a digital camera, use it for years and never go near a computer.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 20, 2003
  14. John

    John Guest

    Snip

    > Thad,
    > The instructions for firmware updates DO have warnings about
    > potential problems. So much so that although I wanted to do the
    > firmware update, it was only a couple of weeks before I planned a
    > vacation (cruise), so I delayed the update until after the cruise. I
    > followed all instructions carefully, and had a successful update.
    > UPdating of firmware is a risky business since some problems will result
    > in a non-functional device, be it a camera, or a computer.
    >
    > Perhaps, in the future, such updates will be done in a manner that will
    > allow a reversion to the old firmware if there is a failure, but I don't
    > know of any that do this now.

    I have successfully flashed forwards and backwards on BIOS of Dell pc and
    servers for the past several years, even if one didn't work the way it was
    supposed to after the upgrade I could redo a previous version, it wouldn't
    leave my server dead!

    John, Nov 25, 2003
  15. John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John wrote:

    > Snip
    >

    >>Thad,
    >> The instructions for firmware updates DO have warnings about
    >>potential problems. So much so that although I wanted to do the
    >>firmware update, it was only a couple of weeks before I planned a
    >>vacation (cruise), so I delayed the update until after the cruise. I
    >>followed all instructions carefully, and had a successful update.
    >>UPdating of firmware is a risky business since some problems will result
    >>in a non-functional device, be it a camera, or a computer.
    >>
    >>Perhaps, in the future, such updates will be done in a manner that will
    >>allow a reversion to the old firmware if there is a failure, but I don't
    >>know of any that do this now.

    > I have successfully flashed forwards and backwards on BIOS of Dell pc and
    > servers for the past several years, even if one didn't work the way it was
    > supposed to after the upgrade I could redo a previous version, it wouldn't
    > leave my server dead!

    It IS possible to have a dead computer/camera after a failed
    BIOS/firmware update. Believe it. You have likely been very careful,
    and a bit lucky. It is one of those 'take a deep breath and hold it'
    things.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 25, 2003
  16. John

    Troy Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:54:10 -0500, "John" <> wrote:

    > I have successfully flashed forwards and backwards on BIOS of Dell pc and
    > servers for the past several years, even if one didn't work the way it was
    > supposed to after the upgrade I could redo a previous version, it wouldn't
    > leave my server dead!

    I've killed more than one PC with a failed BIOS flash. What you're
    describing is a successful flash with firmware that caused more problems
    than it fixed. That's different than a flash that dies. When a flash
    fails, unless the PC has a backup BIOS, your computer is dead.

    The firmware on a camera is basically the operating system. When you
    flash it, it basically wipes out the existing firmware (formats it),
    then copies the new firmware (installs the operating system). If you
    never make it to step 2, there is no operating system installed to
    accept new firmware.

    There may be hope, however. If the firmware file is in a binary format,
    you may be able to bring the camera into an electronic hobby shop and
    talk somebody into burning the firmware to the chip that's in the camera
    using a special hardware device. Only do this if it's already out of
    warranty, though, since they'll have to open it up to do this. It's an
    easy job if you know what you're doing, so you might be able to have it
    done locally for much less money than Kodak wants.

    Of course, this is assuming the chip is socketed and a standard format,
    which it may not be, but it's worth a shot.

    --
    Troy

    Troy, Nov 25, 2003
  17. John

    John Guest

    A follow up to my earlier post. Ron Baird contacted me about the issue I was
    having. He took the camera back and ran some diagnostics on the camera. His
    manager shipped me a refurbished camera for half the original quote to fix
    the camera. Thank you Ron.

    John, Dec 15, 2003
  18. John

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John wrote:
    > A follow up to my earlier post. Ron Baird contacted me about the issue I was
    > having. He took the camera back and ran some diagnostics on the camera. His
    > manager shipped me a refurbished camera for half the original quote to fix
    > the camera. Thank you Ron.

    He is serious about customer service. So where are the reps from Canon,
    Fuji, Casio, Sony?

    Ron Hunter, Dec 15, 2003
  19. John

    Dave Man Guest

    In Japan!!!!!!!!!!

    Dave Man, Dec 16, 2003
  20. "Charlie" <> wrote in message news:<acsub.2406$>...
    > Moreover at last check Kodak has not yet farmed out their tech support to
    > India!!

    Don't be so sure. My first mail to Kodak was replied to by a tech
    support person with an Indian name. The next one was from an
    American/European person. Maybe the first responder was an Indian
    working in the US or maybe the first level support is farmed out to
    India and any escalations goto the US call centre.

    All your jobs are belong to us!!! :p

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 16, 2003