    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Nov 8, 2011

  3. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, Nov 8, 2011
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 8, 10:51 am, Whisky-dave <> wrote:
    > On Nov 8, 2:02 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Kodak_spends_14m_on_private...

    > It actually says 1/4 m  ($294,404)
    >  Is that so bad for a period of 4 years, in the UK if you were
    > travelling by public transport
    > I doubt it'd be much cheaper ;-)

    About 10 TIMES cheaper, even allowing for first class travel.
    RichA, Nov 8, 2011
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 8, 10:39 am, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 11/8/2011 9:02 AM, RichA wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Kodak_spends_14m_on_private...

    > If you own Kodak stock and believe the company is wasting money, you
    > have legal rights.
    > Otherwise, WTF does that have to do with digital photography.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Kodak makes CCD chips.
    RichA, Nov 8, 2011
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 8, 4:03 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 11/8/11 8:02 AM, in article
    > , "RichA"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Kodak_spends_14m_on_private...
    > > Vegas__news_310335.html

    > Burn an effigy - right, Rich?!?
    >
    > They are calling you from Zuccotti Park, you hear them?

    Clueless, android-like "company man." Lemme guess grandpa; you worked
    for the same firm for 40 years right? Never questioned anything and
    never advanced much either.
    For you and the other brainless out there, it has nothing to do with
    actual dollar figures, it has to do with perception. Like when the
    head of BP remarked that he "wanted his life back" during that East
    Coast oil spill and then lost his position.
    RichA, Nov 8, 2011
  7. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 09:32:20 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Nov 8, 10:51 am, Whisky-dave <> wrote:
    >> On Nov 8, 2:02 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Kodak_spends_14m_on_private...

    >> It actually says 1/4 m  ($294,404)
    >>  Is that so bad for a period of 4 years, in the UK if you were
    >> travelling by public transport
    >> I doubt it'd be much cheaper ;-)

    >About 10 TIMES cheaper, even allowing for first class travel.

    From what I've heard, with all the added security checks these days
    about the only people in first class are passengers using their miles
    to upgrade, or who are otherwise bumped up. The folks who in the past
    would have paid for first class are largely using private jets so they
    don't have to stand in line and get searched.

    At CEO pay rates it may well be cost-effective to not spend all that
    extra unproductive time in line each trip.
    John A., Nov 9, 2011
  8. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 14:21:33 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Nov 8, 4:03 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    >> On 11/8/11 8:02 AM, in article
    >> , "RichA"
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Kodak_spends_14m_on_private...
    >> > Vegas__news_310335.html

    >> Burn an effigy - right, Rich?!?
    >>
    >> They are calling you from Zuccotti Park, you hear them?

    >Clueless, android-like "company man." Lemme guess grandpa; you worked
    >for the same firm for 40 years right? Never questioned anything and
    >never advanced much either.
    >For you and the other brainless out there, it has nothing to do with
    >actual dollar figures, it has to do with perception. Like when the
    >head of BP remarked that he "wanted his life back" during that East
    >Coast oil spill and then lost his position.

    Gulf coast. Other side of Florida.
    John A., Nov 9, 2011
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/8/2011 12:32 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Nov 8, 10:39 am, PeterN<> wrote:
    >> On 11/8/2011 9:02 AM, RichA wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Kodak_spends_14m_on_private...

    >> If you own Kodak stock and believe the company is wasting money, you
    >> have legal rights.
    >> Otherwise, WTF does that have to do with digital photography.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > Kodak makes CCD chips.

    For which market segment.
    What is the dollar value of the chips used in cameras.

    About 10 years ago Kodak did digital conversions for between 10 & 25 k I
    am not sure when they got out of that business, but is is more than 5
    years ago.
    Agna, for what percentage of the sales of digital cameras do they make
    those chips.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 9, 2011
  10. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/8/2011 8:50 PM, John A. wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 09:32:20 -0800 (PST), RichA<>
    > wrote:

    >>> It actually says 1/4 m ($294,404)
    >>> Is that so bad for a period of 4 years, in the UK if you were
    >>> travelling by public transport
    >>> I doubt it'd be much cheaper ;-)

    >> About 10 TIMES cheaper, even allowing for first class travel.

    > From what I've heard, with all the added security checks these days
    > about the only people in first class are passengers using their miles
    > to upgrade, or who are otherwise bumped up. The folks who in the past
    > would have paid for first class are largely using private jets so they
    > don't have to stand in line and get searched.
    >
    > At CEO pay rates it may well be cost-effective to not spend all that
    > extra unproductive time in line each trip.

    You are also leaving off the distraction factor. There was a time I
    could actually work on a plane. Now, even in business class, it's almost
    impossible, Anyone who hears a screaming kid or drunk on a plane knows
    what I am talking about. No, the distractors are not limited to coach.
    Additionally, quite often meeting strategy is refined on the trip. Can
    you be assured a competitor is not within hearing range?

    The only exception was the Grand Air flights between NY and LA. That
    flight provided the necessary comfort and privacy.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 9, 2011
  11. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Nov 9, 1:50 am, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 09:32:20 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    > wrote:

    > >> It actually says 1/4 m  ($294,404)
    > >>  Is that so bad for a period of 4 years, in the UK if you were
    > >> travelling by public transport
    > >> I doubt it'd be much cheaper ;-)

    > >About 10 TIMES cheaper, even allowing for first class travel.

    > From what I've heard, with all the added security checks these days

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/nov/07/theresa-may-admits-passport-checks

    well checking passports etc has been 'relaxed' so there's about
    140,000 people that have entered
    the UK without being check .

    > about the only people in first class are passengers using their miles
    > to upgrade, or who are otherwise bumped up. The folks who in the past
    > would have paid for first class are largely using private jets so they
    > don't have to stand in line and get searched.
    >
    > At CEO pay rates it may well be cost-effective to not spend all that
    > extra unproductive time in line each trip.

    Or you could ask why they need to travel in the first place
    considering modern technologies
    like skype.
    Whisky-dave, Nov 9, 2011
  12. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 03:28:06 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
    <> wrote:

    >On Nov 9, 1:50 am, John A. <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 09:32:20 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >About 10 TIMES cheaper, even allowing for first class travel.

    >> From what I've heard, with all the added security checks these days

    >http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/nov/07/theresa-may-admits-passport-checks
    >
    >well checking passports etc has been 'relaxed' so there's about
    >140,000 people that have entered
    >the UK without being check .
    >
    >> about the only people in first class are passengers using their miles
    >> to upgrade, or who are otherwise bumped up. The folks who in the past
    >> would have paid for first class are largely using private jets so they
    >> don't have to stand in line and get searched.
    >>
    >> At CEO pay rates it may well be cost-effective to not spend all that
    >> extra unproductive time in line each trip.

    >Or you could ask why they need to travel in the first place
    >considering modern technologies
    >like skype.

    I have a feeling that would give a prospective client or partner the
    impression you like to cut corners.
    John A., Nov 9, 2011
  13. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/8/2011 10:39 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 22:26:32 -0500, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/8/2011 8:50 PM, John A. wrote:

    >>> From what I've heard, with all the added security checks these days
    >>> about the only people in first class are passengers using their miles
    >>> to upgrade, or who are otherwise bumped up. The folks who in the past
    >>> would have paid for first class are largely using private jets so they
    >>> don't have to stand in line and get searched.
    >>>
    >>> At CEO pay rates it may well be cost-effective to not spend all that
    >>> extra unproductive time in line each trip.

    >> You are also leaving off the distraction factor. There was a time I
    >> could actually work on a plane. Now, even in business class, it's almost
    >> impossible, Anyone who hears a screaming kid or drunk on a plane knows
    >> what I am talking about. No, the distractors are not limited to coach.
    >> Additionally, quite often meeting strategy is refined on the trip. Can
    >> you be assured a competitor is not within hearing range?

    > Or able to, as I once did, read the details of a competitors plan for
    > a development for which my firm was competing?
    >>
    >> The only exception was the Grand Air flights between NY and LA. That
    >> flight provided the necessary comfort and privacy.

    I have never forgotten a lesson from one of my uncles. During the
    depression we was looking for work. He heard a guy at a close table
    mention that there was a sales opening and right after lunch he was
    going to apply. My uncle stopped eating and immediately went to the
    company. When they asked how he heard about the opening, he told them.
    They hired hm on the spot. He subsequently became a senior vice president.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 9, 2011
  14. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/9/2011 10:14 AM, John A. wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 03:28:06 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
    > <> wrote:

    <snip>>

    >> Or you could ask why they need to travel in the first place
    >> considering modern technologies
    >> like skype.

    > I have a feeling that would give a prospective client or partner the
    > impression you like to cut corners.

    Cutting corners is fine. But there is a time for doing so.
    Webinars are an effective marketing tool, and a lot less costly for both
    the presenter and attendees.
    However, in a negotiation, I strongly prefer a face to face meeting.
    With a rare exception, I found the communications meetings, to drag out
    over long periods, and highly inefficient.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 9, 2011
  15. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Nov 9, 3:14 pm, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 03:28:06 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Nov 9, 1:50 am, John A. <> wrote:

    > >> From what I've heard, with all the added security checks these days

    > >http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/nov/07/theresa-may-admits-passport-...

    > >well checking passports  etc has been 'relaxed' so there's about
    > >140,000 people that have entered
    > >the UK without being check .

    > >> about the only people in first class are passengers using their miles
    > >> to upgrade, or who are otherwise bumped up. The folks who in the past
    > >> would have paid for first class are largely using private jets so they
    > >> don't have to stand in line and get searched.

    > >> At CEO pay rates it may well be cost-effective to not spend all that
    > >> extra unproductive time in line each trip.

    > >Or you could ask why they need to travel in the first place
    > >considering modern technologies
    > >like skype.

    > I have a feeling that would give a prospective client or partner the
    > impression you like to cut corners.

    That's true it could also show a prospective client or partner that
    you don't waste money.
    This would be very important for the person funding or a tax payer
    for example.

    here's an intersting one.
    http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/boriss-4000-taxi-bill/20098215
    "The figures also show the Mayor incurred costs to the taxpayer of
    more than £320 for two claims listed as ‘Newspaper delivered to
    Mayor’s home’ between 25th May and 2nd August 2008."

    I wonder if the CEO/Mayor had to pay for these sort of things out of
    their own salery they'd still
    choose the same options.

    I think universities have a similar problem, we have a thing called'
    distance learning' where we have about
    500+ students studying in china, so our lecturesers go to china to
    teach..... which obviously means they can't be teaching
    in London at the same time, so we have to emply someone else to do
    their work and I assume that isn;t a cheap
    as employing a chinese person in china.

    But then we have in the past brought 20 laptops in the UK installed
    software and shiped them to china
    where they re-insalled everythihng themselves. Do you hiunk it's
    cheaper to buy laptops in the UK then ship them to china
    or buy them in china ?.
    I don;t actually know but logically, I don;t think the UK is cheaper
    than china for this sort of stuff.
    Whisky-dave, Nov 9, 2011
  16. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Nov 9, 3:36 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 11/8/2011 10:39 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    >

    > > On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 22:26:32 -0500, PeterN
    > > <>  wrote:

    > >> You are also leaving off the distraction factor. There was a time I
    > >> could actually work on a plane. Now, even in business class, it's almost
    > >> impossible, Anyone who hears a screaming kid or drunk on a plane knows
    > >> what I am talking about. No, the distractors are not limited to coach.
    > >> Additionally, quite often meeting strategy is refined on the trip. Can
    > >> you be assured a competitor is not within hearing range?

    > > Or able to, as I once did, read the details of a competitors plan for
    > > a development for which my firm was competing?

    > >> The only exception was the Grand Air flights between NY and LA. That
    > >> flight provided the necessary comfort and privacy.

    > I have never forgotten a lesson from one of my uncles. During the
    > depression we was looking for work. He heard a guy at a close table
    > mention that there was a sales opening and right after lunch he was
    > going to apply. My uncle stopped eating and immediately went to the
    > company. When they asked how he heard about the opening, he told them.
    > They hired hm on the spot. He subsequently became a senior vice president..
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    I'm not sure I'd employ such a person, it implies they are sneaky and
    will go behind
    anothers back to get what they want rather than the company best
    interests.
    I would never employ on a basis of first come first get the job.
    But maybe that is the best qualifications for a senior vice president,
    but I'm pretty sure I'd use other criteria maybe even a brief look at
    their CV.

    here in the UK now you'd never get away with that. A friend applied
    for a job
    as helper driver the disabled about and it took 4 months to get the
    CRB check done.
    (to check he hadn;t a criminal record or abuser) .
    Whisky-dave, Nov 9, 2011
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/9/2011 11:51 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Nov 9, 3:36 pm, PeterN<> wrote:
    >> On 11/8/2011 10:39 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

    >>> Or able to, as I once did, read the details of a competitors plan for
    >>> a development for which my firm was competing?

    >> I have never forgotten a lesson from one of my uncles. During the
    >> depression we was looking for work. He heard a guy at a close table
    >> mention that there was a sales opening and right after lunch he was
    >> going to apply. My uncle stopped eating and immediately went to the
    >> company. When they asked how he heard about the opening, he told them.
    >> They hired hm on the spot. He subsequently became a senior vice president.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > I'm not sure I'd employ such a person, it implies they are sneaky and
    > will go behind
    > anothers back to get what they want rather than the company best
    > interests.
    > I would never employ on a basis of first come first get the job.
    > But maybe that is the best qualifications for a senior vice president,
    > but I'm pretty sure I'd use other criteria maybe even a brief look at
    > their CV.
    >
    > here in the UK now you'd never get away with that. A friend applied
    > for a job
    > as helper driver the disabled about and it took 4 months to get the
    > CRB check done.
    > (to check he hadn;t a criminal record or abuser) .

    This was the USA, circa 1936.
    In the fifties I have been hired on the first interview.
    However, we are getting away from the point that walls have ears.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 9, 2011
  18. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/9/2011 11:19 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Nov 9, 3:14 pm, John A.<> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 03:28:06 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave

    <snip>>

    > here's an intersting one.
    > http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/boriss-4000-taxi-bill/20098215
    > "The figures also show the Mayor incurred costs to the taxpayer of
    > more than £320 for two claims listed as ‘Newspaper delivered to
    > Mayor’s home’ between 25th May and 2nd August 2008."
    >
    > I wonder if the CEO/Mayor had to pay for these sort of things out of
    > their own salery they'd still
    > choose the same options.
    >
    > I think universities have a similar problem, we have a thing called'
    > distance learning' where we have about
    > 500+ students studying in china, so our lecturesers go to china to
    > teach..... which obviously means they can't be teaching
    > in London at the same time, so we have to emply someone else to do
    > their work and I assume that isn;t a cheap
    > as employing a chinese person in china.
    >
    > But then we have in the past brought 20 laptops in the UK installed
    > software and shiped them to china
    > where they re-insalled everythihng themselves. Do you hiunk it's
    > cheaper to buy laptops in the UK then ship them to china
    > or buy them in china ?.
    > I don;t actually know but logically, I don;t think the UK is cheaper
    > than china for this sort of stuff.

    That may have done done intentionally. If an organization has not spent
    its budget, it will. Otherwise the budget for that line item will be cut
    in the following year.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 9, 2011
  19. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 9, 10:27 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 11/8/11 4:21 PM, in article
    > , "RichA"
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > On Nov 8, 4:03 pm, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > >> On 11/8/11 8:02 AM, in article
    > >> , "RichA"

    > >> Burn an effigy - right, Rich?!?

    > >> They are calling you from Zuccotti Park, you hear them?

    > > Clueless, android-like "company man."  Lemme guess grandpa; you worked
    > > for the same firm for 40 years right?  Never questioned anything and
    > > never advanced much either.

    > No dufus, I have run my own photography/video business for 33 years and am
    > now retired with 1200 shares of AAPL among other investments.
    >
    > Hear THAT, Rich?  APPLE - your nemesis. The Devil Jobs himself!!!!
    >
    > Retired at 61 last year. Hell, you probably have seen some of my album
    > covers from the 70's and don't even know it.
    >
    > That, opposed to you, a closet commie claiming to be conservative who
    > doesn't like anything. Your childhood must have been miserable with all the
    > big kids and older brothers' taunting and baiting. Nothing else could
    > explain your attitude.
    >
    > You are a sad sack

    "Sad Sack?"
    The more you talk, the more you date yourself.
    RichA, Nov 9, 2011
  20. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 08:19:30 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
    <> wrote:

    >On Nov 9, 3:14 pm, John A. <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 03:28:06 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
    >>

    >> <> wrote:

    >> >http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/nov/07/theresa-may-admits-passport-...

    >> >well checking passports  etc has been 'relaxed' so there's about
    >> >140,000 people that have entered
    >> >the UK without being check .

    >> >Or you could ask why they need to travel in the first place
    >> >considering modern technologies
    >> >like skype.

    >> I have a feeling that would give a prospective client or partner the
    >> impression you like to cut corners.

    >That's true it could also show a prospective client or partner that
    >you don't waste money.
    >This would be very important for the person funding or a tax payer
    >for example.
    >
    >here's an intersting one.
    >http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/boriss-4000-taxi-bill/20098215
    >"The figures also show the Mayor incurred costs to the taxpayer of
    >more than £320 for two claims listed as ‘Newspaper delivered to
    >Mayor’s home’ between 25th May and 2nd August 2008."
    >
    >I wonder if the CEO/Mayor had to pay for these sort of things out of
    >their own salery they'd still
    >choose the same options.
    >
    >I think universities have a similar problem, we have a thing called'
    >distance learning' where we have about
    >500+ students studying in china, so our lecturesers go to china to
    >teach..... which obviously means they can't be teaching
    >in London at the same time, so we have to emply someone else to do
    >their work and I assume that isn;t a cheap
    >as employing a chinese person in china.

    No doubt. But I'm sure the lecturer's experiences in China are worth
    something as well, perhaps increasing their worth as educators.

    >But then we have in the past brought 20 laptops in the UK installed
    >software and shiped them to china
    >where they re-insalled everythihng themselves. Do you hiunk it's
    >cheaper to buy laptops in the UK then ship them to china
    >or buy them in china ?.
    >I don;t actually know but logically, I don;t think the UK is cheaper
    >than china for this sort of stuff.

    Are there maybe tighter restrictions on sending computers to China
    these days?
    John A., Nov 9, 2011