Kodak C743 won't recognise SD card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bongo, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. bongo

    bongo Guest

    "Pedro" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > My wife bought a Kodak C743 camer the other day and a 1gb Sandisk SD
    > card. Problem we've found is that the camera asks to format the card,
    > shows the hour glass like it's doing it for 1.5secs and then defaults
    > back asking to format it again.
    >
    > I thought the card might be faulty but my pc recognises it. I also
    > took it to my parents and their Kodak did the same, but their Canon
    > digital camera used it no worries.
    >
    > So all up I'm a bit perplexed with what to do. At this point I'm
    > thinking of sending the camera back and giving the card to my Mum for
    > her Canon
    >
    > I've searched the net too, but can't find an answer. It's obvioulsy a
    > Kodak camera related issue for both cameras to do it.
    >
    > Any pointers would be apprciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Pete

    do the camera take a 1GB card? some are not made to except large cards.

    have you tried to format the card on your computer, using "FAT" not fat32 or
    ntfs.

    if the card shows up on your comp as another hard-drive, rught click on it
    and select format, then select it to do a full format using FAT

    Pedro, Nov 15, 2006

  3. bongo

    Pedro Guest

    bongo wrote:
    > "Pedro" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > My wife bought a Kodak C743 camer the other day and a 1gb Sandisk SD
    > > card. Problem we've found is that the camera asks to format the card,
    > > shows the hour glass like it's doing it for 1.5secs and then defaults
    > > back asking to format it again.
    > >
    > > I thought the card might be faulty but my pc recognises it. I also
    > > took it to my parents and their Kodak did the same, but their Canon
    > > digital camera used it no worries.
    > >
    > > So all up I'm a bit perplexed with what to do. At this point I'm
    > > thinking of sending the camera back and giving the card to my Mum for
    > > her Canon
    > >
    > > I've searched the net too, but can't find an answer. It's obvioulsy a
    > > Kodak camera related issue for both cameras to do it.
    > >
    > > Any pointers would be apprciated.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Pete
    > >

    > do the camera take a 1GB card? some are not made to except large cards.
    >
    > have you tried to format the card on your computer, using "FAT" not fat32 or
    > ntfs.
    >
    > if the card shows up on your comp as another hard-drive, rught click on it
    > and select format, then select it to do a full format using FAT

    Yes my Mum has a Sandisk 1gb and it worked in my camera. I've also
    formatted it as FAT on my pc. Still comes up with the same thing.
    Pedro, Nov 15, 2006
  4. bongo

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Pedro wrote:
    > Hi,
    > My wife bought a Kodak C743 camer the other day and a 1gb Sandisk SD
    > card. Problem we've found is that the camera asks to format the card,
    > shows the hour glass like it's doing it for 1.5secs and then defaults
    > back asking to format it again.
    >
    > I thought the card might be faulty but my pc recognises it. I also
    > took it to my parents and their Kodak did the same, but their Canon
    > digital camera used it no worries.
    >
    > So all up I'm a bit perplexed with what to do. At this point I'm
    > thinking of sending the camera back and giving the card to my Mum for
    > her Canon
    >
    > I've searched the net too, but can't find an answer. It's obvioulsy a
    > Kodak camera related issue for both cameras to do it.
    >
    > Any pointers would be apprciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Pete

    New cards often have problems with the contacts not making good
    connection. Try inserting and removing the card several times with the
    camera off and see if that clears up the problem. New cards, and new
    cameras often have some deposits on the contacts.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 15, 2006
  5. bongo

    Bill Funk Guest

    On 15 Nov 2006 05:22:50 -0800, "Pedro" <> wrote:

    > bongo wrote:
    >> "Pedro" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> > My wife bought a Kodak C743 camer the other day and a 1gb Sandisk SD
    >> > card. Problem we've found is that the camera asks to format the card,
    >> > shows the hour glass like it's doing it for 1.5secs and then defaults
    >> > back asking to format it again.
    >> >
    >> > I thought the card might be faulty but my pc recognises it. I also
    >> > took it to my parents and their Kodak did the same, but their Canon
    >> > digital camera used it no worries.
    >> >
    >> > So all up I'm a bit perplexed with what to do. At this point I'm
    >> > thinking of sending the camera back and giving the card to my Mum for
    >> > her Canon
    >> >
    >> > I've searched the net too, but can't find an answer. It's obvioulsy a
    >> > Kodak camera related issue for both cameras to do it.
    >> >
    >> > Any pointers would be apprciated.
    >> >
    >> > Cheers,
    >> >
    >> > Pete
    >> >

    >> do the camera take a 1GB card? some are not made to except large cards.
    >>
    >> have you tried to format the card on your computer, using "FAT" not fat32 or
    >> ntfs.
    >>
    >> if the card shows up on your comp as another hard-drive, rught click on it
    >> and select format, then select it to do a full format using FAT

    >Yes my Mum has a Sandisk 1gb and it worked in my camera. I've also
    >formatted it as FAT on my pc. Still comes up with the same thing.

    Then, in all probability, the problem is with the card.
    There's a troubleshooting tree that goes something like this:
    You have a card that works in devices *other than* your camera.
    You have another card that works in those *other devices*, *AND* in
    your camera.
    The original card has a problem that won't let it work in your camera.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Nov 15, 2006