    date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
    cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
    resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?
    eganders, Nov 25, 2006

  2. eganders

    Mike Fields Guest

    "eganders" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
    > batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would if
    > replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their default,
    > the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do
    > this
    > with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.
    >
    > I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no. The
    > tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little
    > while
    > for a battery change.
    >
    > I put off sending it back.
    >
    > I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
    > return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
    > date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
    > cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
    > resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?

    Don't know about that specific one but different cameras
    "remember" the date/time for different lengths of time.
    My Nikon D70s seems to have no problem if I have the
    battery out over night. My Minolta 7Hi has a small internal
    battery that supplies power while you have the batteries out.
    My Olympus D470Z will remember for about 10 minutes
    or so then forgets (I suspect it just has a large capacitor
    in there to hold a temp charge). Since I rename all my
    pix based on the EXIF date/time stamp, I *really* hate
    it when the Olympus forgets what time it is (Just goes to
    all 0's and stays there).

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Nov 25, 2006

  3. eganders

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:

    > "eganders" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
    >> batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would if I
    >> replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their default,
    >> the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do this
    >> with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.
    >>
    >> I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no. The
    >> tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little while
    >> for a battery change.
    >>
    >> I put off sending it back.
    >>
    >> I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
    >> return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
    >> date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
    >> cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
    >> resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?
    >>

    > Don't know about that specific one but different cameras
    > "remember" the date/time for different lengths of time.
    > My Nikon D70s seems to have no problem if I have the
    > battery out over night. My Minolta 7Hi has a small internal
    > battery that supplies power while you have the batteries out.
    > My Olympus D470Z will remember for about 10 minutes
    > or so then forgets (I suspect it just has a large capacitor
    > in there to hold a temp charge). Since I rename all my
    > pix based on the EXIF date/time stamp, I *really* hate
    > it when the Olympus forgets what time it is (Just goes to
    > all 0's and stays there).
    >
    > mikey

    Hi Mikey...

    With regard to your Oly... if you don't have a spare set
    of batts to swap when you're re-charging, just grab a set
    of "used up" ordinarily alkalines (something that won't
    any longer run the kids cd players, or a flashlight) and
    put them in it while the nimh's recharge.

    The data saving portion of your camera requires almost zero
    energy, so even "dead" batteries will hold it. Just don't turn
    the camera on while they're in it, and don't forget and leave
    them in it for fear they may leak.

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Nov 26, 2006
  4. eganders

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Ken Weitzel" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Fields wrote:
    >>
    >> "eganders" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
    >>> batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would
    >>> if I
    >>> replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their
    >>> default,
    >>> the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do
    >>> this
    >>> with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.
    >>>
    >>> I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no.
    >>> The
    >>> tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little
    >>> while
    >>> for a battery change.
    >>>
    >>> I put off sending it back.
    >>>
    >>> I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
    >>> return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
    >>> date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
    >>> cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
    >>> resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?
    >>>

    >> Don't know about that specific one but different cameras
    >> "remember" the date/time for different lengths of time.
    >> My Nikon D70s seems to have no problem if I have the
    >> battery out over night. My Minolta 7Hi has a small internal
    >> battery that supplies power while you have the batteries out.
    >> My Olympus D470Z will remember for about 10 minutes
    >> or so then forgets (I suspect it just has a large capacitor
    >> in there to hold a temp charge). Since I rename all my
    >> pix based on the EXIF date/time stamp, I *really* hate
    >> it when the Olympus forgets what time it is (Just goes to
    >> all 0's and stays there).
    >>
    >> mikey

    > Hi Mikey...
    >
    > With regard to your Oly... if you don't have a spare set
    > of batts to swap when you're re-charging, just grab a set
    > of "used up" ordinarily alkalines (something that won't
    > any longer run the kids cd players, or a flashlight) and
    > put them in it while the nimh's recharge.
    >
    > The data saving portion of your camera requires almost zero
    > energy, so even "dead" batteries will hold it. Just don't turn
    > the camera on while they're in it, and don't forget and leave
    > them in it for fear they may leak.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    Yes, I realize that and have not problem with doing that.
    On the other hand, training my wife to do that is another
    story all together (does the term "herding cats" mean
    anything :) )

    She takes the camera, shoots a bunch of pix then, when
    I go to transfer them to the computer, I notice they all
    have the same date 00000. Grrrrrrrr. Bought her a
    Canon A640 :) You gotta know how to work the
    problem ...

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Nov 26, 2006
  5. eganders

    eganders Guest

    Please note that I gave the example that I poped the battery door open
    and immediately (within about 30 seconds) closed the door again (on a
    freshly charged set of batteries). The camera has virtually NO
    retention of the date/time once I open the battery door. The latest
    email from Kodak said that this was normal. I am hoping that someone
    with this C360 or nearly the same Kodak model can verify that he is
    correct or not.

    Usually you are trying to get a shot quickly and changing the batteries
    is bad enoungh without being told that you have to set the time/date.
    It is hard to believe the camera is designed like this, but I need
    confirmation from someone that KNOWS this camera (C360) or a very
    similar model Kodak to it.

    eganders, Nov 26, 2006
  6. eganders

    ASAAR Guest

    On 26 Nov 2006 06:22:30 -0800, eganders wrote:

    > Please note that I gave the example that I poped the battery door open
    > and immediately (within about 30 seconds) closed the door again (on a
    > freshly charged set of batteries). The camera has virtually NO
    > retention of the date/time once I open the battery door. The latest
    > email from Kodak said that this was normal. I am hoping that someone
    > with this C360 or nearly the same Kodak model can verify that he is
    > correct or not.

    What does your manual have to say about this? It seems *very*
    unlikely that the C360 would be designed to do this. I don't have
    any Kodak digital cameras but some time ago I downloaded the manual
    for several Kodak cameras. In the troubleshooting section of the
    C360's manual, for "Date and time have been reset" it says:

    > Cause
    > This is the first time you turned on the camera;
    > or the batteries have been removed for an extended
    > period of time; or the batteries are exhausted.

    An extended period of time should be at least several minutes, if
    not hours or days. Certainly not 30 seconds. But if the battery
    door is open for a shorter period, such as 5 seconds, is the date
    and time still lost? I assume that when you opened the battery door
    that the camera was powered off. :)

    Kodak's website has a FAQ for the C360 which deals with this
    problem. Unfortunately it provides no additional information:

    > Question:
    > The camera screen displays "Date/Time have been reset." What should I do?
    >
    > Answer: Answer last updated:09-22-06
    > This is the first time you turned on the camera, the battery has been removed
    > for an extended period of time, or the battery is exhausted. Reset the clock.
    >
    > See your camera user's guide for more information.

    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuer...6_26507.shtm&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=15869

    And no, the user's guide didn't suggest checking the online FAQ
    for more information. <g>
    ASAAR, Nov 26, 2006
  7. eganders

    eganders Guest

    ASAAR,

    Thanks for the check of FAQ on Kodak's web site. That tells me what I
    want to know. It appears that the tech was in a hurry giving his
    response.

    eganders, Nov 26, 2006
  8. eganders

    John Turco Guest

    eganders wrote:

    > I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
    > batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would if I
    > replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their default,
    > the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do this
    > with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.
    >
    > I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no. The
    > tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little while
    > for a battery change.
    >
    > I put off sending it back.
    >
    > I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
    > return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
    > date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
    > cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
    > resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?

    Hello,

    I already knew that my P850 and DX6490 (both Kodak digicams) would
    "forget" the time and date, when their batteries were removed, for very
    long. However, as an experiment, I just left the DX6490's "KLIC-5000"
    Li-ion pack out of the camera, for a few seconds, and then put it back
    in.

    To my surprise, the DX6490 retained its settings.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Nov 28, 2006
  9. eganders

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    John Turco wrote:
    > eganders wrote:
    >> I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
    >> batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would if I
    >> replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their default,
    >> the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do this
    >> with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.
    >>
    >> I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no. The
    >> tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little while
    >> for a battery change.
    >>
    >> I put off sending it back.
    >>
    >> I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
    >> return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
    >> date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
    >> cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
    >> resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?

    > Hello,
    >
    > I already knew that my P850 and DX6490 (both Kodak digicams) would
    > "forget" the time and date, when their batteries were removed, for very
    > long. However, as an experiment, I just left the DX6490's "KLIC-5000"
    > Li-ion pack out of the camera, for a few seconds, and then put it back
    > in.
    >
    > To my surprise, the DX6490 retained its settings.

    There may be a coin-type clock battery which needs
    replaced every few years. True in my (non-Kodak)
    digicams and other devices.

    Phil
    Phil Wheeler, Nov 28, 2006
  10. eganders

    eganders Guest

    I got a reply from Kodak that the camera, being out of warranty, would
    incurr charges. They knew that I had gotten an RA number back in July
    when it was in warranty, but now, even though I am asking for a
    warranty repair for the same thing, they will not honor the old RA or
    fix it under warranty. I know they have every right to maintain that
    position, but it would seem a positive move to honor it since it is
    obvious that the camera was defective during the warranty period.
    Welcome to the mechanical new millennium!!!

    eganders, Nov 29, 2006
  11. eganders

    Ron Hunter Guest

    eganders wrote:
    > I got a reply from Kodak that the camera, being out of warranty, would
    > incurr charges. They knew that I had gotten an RA number back in July
    > when it was in warranty, but now, even though I am asking for a
    > warranty repair for the same thing, they will not honor the old RA or
    > fix it under warranty. I know they have every right to maintain that
    > position, but it would seem a positive move to honor it since it is
    > obvious that the camera was defective during the warranty period.
    > Welcome to the mechanical new millennium!!!

    You might try emailing about your problem. He
    visits this group often, and has some influence with customer service,
    and a good attitude toward customers.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 29, 2006
  12. eganders

    John Turco Guest

    Phil Wheeler wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > > I already knew that my P850 and DX6490 (both Kodak digicams) would
    > > "forget" the time and date, when their batteries were removed, for very
    > > long. However, as an experiment, I just left the DX6490's "KLIC-5000"
    > > Li-ion pack out of the camera, for a few seconds, and then put it back
    > > in.
    > >
    > > To my surprise, the DX6490 retained its settings.
    > >

    > There may be a coin-type clock battery which needs
    > replaced every few years. True in my (non-Kodak)
    > digicams and other devices.
    >
    > Phil

    Hello, Phil:

    I'm fairly certain that Kodak doesn't employ the "button cells" you're
    referring to.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Nov 30, 2006
  13. eganders

    John Turco Guest

    eganders wrote:

    > I got a reply from Kodak that the camera, being out of warranty, would
    > incurr charges. They knew that I had gotten an RA number back in July
    > when it was in warranty, but now, even though I am asking for a
    > warranty repair for the same thing, they will not honor the old RA or
    > fix it under warranty. I know they have every right to maintain that
    > position, but it would seem a positive move to honor it since it is
    > obvious that the camera was defective during the warranty period.
    > Welcome to the mechanical new millennium!!!

    <deleted previous messages, for brevity>

    Hello, eganders:

    I heartily concur, Kodak should give you a break. Still, if that's the
    only problem you're having with your C360, is it truly so bad?

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Nov 30, 2006
  14. eganders

    eganders Guest

    Until I have to change the battery, no, the problem is not so bad.
    That is why I have been dragging my feet. I really like the thing.
    For example, I can't believe the type of movies a "still" camera
    produces and the shots are easily taken and of good quality. Couldn't
    ask for more. The problem is you are usually in quite a hurry to
    change the batteries when they go out, because you are trying to get an
    important shot. Sometimes I just default through the time/date so I
    can get the shot. Of course I have no clue when the shot was taken,
    which is not a good thing.

    eganders, Nov 30, 2006
  15. eganders

    eganders Guest

    Thanks for the lead. I emailed Ron the info and my email dialog to
    Kodak

    eganders, Nov 30, 2006
  16. eganders

    John Turco Guest

    eganders wrote:

    > On Nov 30, 5:21 am, John Turco <> wrote:
    > > eganders wrote:
    > >
    > > > I got a reply from Kodak that the camera, being out of warranty, would
    > > > incurr charges. They knew that I had gotten an RA number back in July
    > > > when it was in warranty, but now, even though I am asking for a
    > > > warranty repair for the same thing, they will not honor the old RA or
    > > > fix it under warranty. I know they have every right to maintain that
    > > > position, but it would seem a positive move to honor it since it is
    > > > obvious that the camera was defective during the warranty period.
    > > > Welcome to the mechanical new millennium!!!

    > > <deleted previous messages, for brevity>
    > >
    > > Hello, eganders:
    > >
    > > I heartily concur, Kodak should give you a break. Still, if that's the
    > > only problem you're having with your C360, is it truly so bad?
    > >
    > > Cordially,
    > > John Turco <>

    > Until I have to change the battery, no, the problem is not so bad.
    > That is why I have been dragging my feet. I really like the thing.
    > For example, I can't believe the type of movies a "still" camera
    > produces and the shots are easily taken and of good quality. Couldn't
    > ask for more. The problem is you are usually in quite a hurry to
    > change the batteries when they go out, because you are trying to get an
    > important shot. Sometimes I just default through the time/date so I
    > can get the shot. Of course I have no clue when the shot was taken,
    > which is not a good thing.

    Hello, eganders:

    Well, my old Kodak DC3200's internal clock was permanently disabled, at
    the factory; this was a problem, with that particular model (thanks,
    Kodak!). Consequently, all the photos stored on the camera's CF card
    defaulted to "1/1/00 12:00 AM."

    Eventually, I found a freeware program that enabled me to correct the
    images' dates/times (on my hard drive), in a batch mode. Here it is:

    Free Downloads Center - File Date Changer 1.61
    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...e_and_Repair_Utilities/File_Date_Changer.html

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Dec 2, 2006
  17. eganders

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John Turco wrote:
    > eganders wrote:

    >>> <deleted previous messages, for brevity>
    >>>
    >>> Hello, eganders:
    >>>
    >>> I heartily concur, Kodak should give you a break. Still, if that's the
    >>> only problem you're having with your C360, is it truly so bad?
    >>>
    >>> Cordially,
    >>> John Turco <>

    >> Until I have to change the battery, no, the problem is not so bad.
    >> That is why I have been dragging my feet. I really like the thing.
    >> For example, I can't believe the type of movies a "still" camera
    >> produces and the shots are easily taken and of good quality. Couldn't
    >> ask for more. The problem is you are usually in quite a hurry to
    >> change the batteries when they go out, because you are trying to get an
    >> important shot. Sometimes I just default through the time/date so I
    >> can get the shot. Of course I have no clue when the shot was taken,
    >> which is not a good thing.

    > Hello, eganders:
    >
    > Well, my old Kodak DC3200's internal clock was permanently disabled, at
    > the factory; this was a problem, with that particular model (thanks,
    > Kodak!). Consequently, all the photos stored on the camera's CF card
    > defaulted to "1/1/00 12:00 AM."
    >
    > Eventually, I found a freeware program that enabled me to correct the
    > images' dates/times (on my hard drive), in a batch mode. Here it is:
    >
    > Free Downloads Center - File Date Changer 1.61
    > http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...e_and_Repair_Utilities/File_Date_Changer.html
    >
    > Good luck!
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    This problem is common enough that such software as Photoshop Elements
    has the feature built in. What it (v3) does NOT do is offer to change
    the file date to the EXIF date, which is what I REALLY would like.
    What do I CARE what date I got around to transferring the pictures from
    the camera to me HD?
    Ron Hunter, Dec 2, 2006
  18. eganders

    John Turco Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > > Well, my old Kodak DC3200's internal clock was permanently disabled, at
    > > the factory; this was a problem, with that particular model (thanks,
    > > Kodak!). Consequently, all the photos stored on the camera's CF card
    > > defaulted to "1/1/00 12:00 AM."
    > >
    > > Eventually, I found a freeware program that enabled me to correct the
    > > images' dates/times (on my hard drive), in a batch mode. Here it is:
    > >
    > > Free Downloads Center - File Date Changer 1.61
    > > http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...e_and_Repair_Utilities/File_Date_Changer.html
    > >
    > > Good luck!
    > >

    > > Cordially,
    > > John Turco <>

    > This problem is common enough that such software as Photoshop Elements
    > has the feature built in. What it (v3) does NOT do is offer to change
    > the file date to the EXIF date, which is what I REALLY would like.
    > What do I CARE what date I got around to transferring the pictures from
    > the camera to me HD?

    Hello, Ron:

    Now that you mention it, I just noticed that "File Date Changer" doesn't
    alter any EXIF info, either. No big deal, to me, as I'd rather that
    the date(s) the photos were actually taken, show up when the files are
    viewed normally (e.g., in Windows Explorer).

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Dec 4, 2006
  19. eganders

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John Turco wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> John Turco wrote:

    > <edited, for brevity>
    >
    >>> Well, my old Kodak DC3200's internal clock was permanently disabled, at
    >>> the factory; this was a problem, with that particular model (thanks,
    >>> Kodak!). Consequently, all the photos stored on the camera's CF card
    >>> defaulted to "1/1/00 12:00 AM."
    >>>
    >>> Eventually, I found a freeware program that enabled me to correct the
    >>> images' dates/times (on my hard drive), in a batch mode. Here it is:
    >>>
    >>> Free Downloads Center - File Date Changer 1.61
    >>> http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...e_and_Repair_Utilities/File_Date_Changer.html
    >>>
    >>> Good luck!
    >>>

    >>> Cordially,
    >>> John Turco <>

    >> This problem is common enough that such software as Photoshop Elements
    >> has the feature built in. What it (v3) does NOT do is offer to change
    >> the file date to the EXIF date, which is what I REALLY would like.
    >> What do I CARE what date I got around to transferring the pictures from
    >> the camera to me HD?

    > Hello, Ron:
    >
    > Now that you mention it, I just noticed that "File Date Changer" doesn't
    > alter any EXIF info, either. No big deal, to me, as I'd rather that
    > the date(s) the photos were actually taken, show up when the files are
    > viewed normally (e.g., in Windows Explorer).
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    It seems like such a simple idea. Put the date on the FILE that comes
    from the EXIF data, not the date I got back from my trip and loaded the
    shots onto my computer. Even carrying my laptop, I might not get around
    to emptying my flash cards every day. Sigh.
    Who WRITES these darn programs anyway?
    Ron Hunter, Dec 4, 2006