Kodak C310 and 2G memory card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sailingharry, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. Sailingharry

    Sailingharry Guest

    Greetings to all,

    Hopefully Ron Baird will see this. He seems to usually have ALL the
    answers!

    I have a Kodak C310, with ROM 1.0100. It works fine with a 512M card.
    I just bought a Kingston 2G card, and it won't accept it. A quick
    Google of C310 and 2G shows many sources selling 2G SD cards for the
    C310, and even some selling the C310 *with* a 2G card. I even found a
    message where Ron said it ought to work (and, no, I'm not slamming Ron,
    or blaming him. Just pointing out that the available information
    varies). I also found Kodak's site where it says it won't work.

    I have tried:

    The card works in my Kodak DX3700 (which I think is an older camera!)
    The card works in my HP iPaq
    I have partitioned the card to 900 MB (not easy, but can be done
    through the PocketPC).
    I have borrowed a Sandisk 2GB card.
    I have NOT thrown the camera against the wall (not yet, but I'm willing
    to try it....)

    Any thoughts? I'm OK with formatting it to 900 MB, if anyone can even
    tell me how to get that to work. For the $9 I paid for the card, 900MB
    is better than the 512 I have right now.

    Thanks!

    Harry
    Sailingharry, Jan 22, 2007

  2. Sailingharry

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 06:07:01 -0800, Sailingharry wrote:

    > Greetings to all,
    >
    > Hopefully Ron Baird will see this. He seems to usually have ALL the
    > answers!
    >
    > I have a Kodak C310, with ROM 1.0100. It works fine with a 512M card.
    > I just bought a Kingston 2G card, and it won't accept it. A quick
    > Google of C310 and 2G shows many sources selling 2G SD cards for the
    > C310, and even some selling the C310 *with* a 2G card. I even found a
    > message where Ron said it ought to work (and, no, I'm not slamming Ron,
    > or blaming him. Just pointing out that the available information
    > varies). I also found Kodak's site where it says it won't work.
    >
    > I have tried:
    >
    > The card works in my Kodak DX3700 (which I think is an older camera!)
    > The card works in my HP iPaq
    > I have partitioned the card to 900 MB (not easy, but can be done
    > through the PocketPC).
    > I have borrowed a Sandisk 2GB card.
    > I have NOT thrown the camera against the wall (not yet, but I'm willing
    > to try it....)
    >
    > Any thoughts? I'm OK with formatting it to 900 MB, if anyone can even
    > tell me how to get that to work. For the $9 I paid for the card, 900MB
    > is better than the 512 I have right now.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Harry

    Just out of curiosity, are you certain it won't work? Could you describe
    what happens when you put the card it? Have you actually tried to format
    and use it? And, where did you find a 2gb card for $9 - I got a 2gb SD
    card from OfficeMax for $25 - but that's as good as I've seen.
    ray, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Sailingharry

    Sailingharry Guest

    The card was on Buy.com. $45 with free shipping, $35 rebate. No
    taxes! But it's expired.

    It surely doesn't work. I put it in, it says card full, then it says
    card must be formatted, then after telling it to format, it gives an
    error code. Googling the error code has not been helpful. I have
    formatted it using my PocketPC, the C310, and my other Kodak -- the
    C310 fails and the others format successfully, but it still doesn't
    work in the C310.

    Sailingharry, Jan 22, 2007
  4. Sailingharry

    Paul Rubin Guest

    ray <> writes:
    > and use it? And, where did you find a 2gb card for $9 - I got a 2gb SD
    > card from OfficeMax for $25 - but that's as good as I've seen.

    newegg.com has various 2gb cards in the $18 range.
    Paul Rubin, Jan 22, 2007
  5. Sailingharry

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:34:54 -0800, Sailingharry wrote:

    > The card was on Buy.com. $45 with free shipping, $35 rebate. No
    > taxes! But it's expired.
    >
    > It surely doesn't work. I put it in, it says card full, then it says
    > card must be formatted, then after telling it to format, it gives an
    > error code. Googling the error code has not been helpful. I have
    > formatted it using my PocketPC, the C310, and my other Kodak -- the
    > C310 fails and the others format successfully, but it still doesn't
    > work in the C310.

    Just was curious - it sounds as though you've tried pretty much what I
    would have. If you have access to some partitioning software on a
    computer, or a PC you can fiddle with, I might suggest the GParted Linux
    Live CD - it is a full linux distro on a CD which will boot and run from
    the CD. It will bring up a fully functional program designed to partition
    and format various media. I've never tried partitioning a memory card, but
    it may get you somewhere - and would definitely be interesting. It should
    be quite simple to undo whatever you do there.

    ray, Jan 22, 2007
  6. Sailingharry

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Harry,

    Glad to try and help.

    In general, most Kodak cameras will work with any of the Kodak memory cards.
    Since we now sell a 2 gig card, I would suspect that the camera will work
    with it. It may be, however, that the firmware or for some other quirk, that
    size card may not work. I am checking on it for you. For now I would say
    yes. If things change I will be back with more.

    You are asking and I am not sure why. Are you not getting the use of the
    card in the camera. Does the card show up as a 2 gig resource in Windows?

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jan 26, 2007