    Too bad. I could use those AA in any number of devices
    at home too.

    That, along with the fall off lens cap are two bad ideas.

    hfs2, Apr 13, 2004

  2. hfs2

    Andrew Guest

    On 13 Apr 2004 04:33:36 -0700, (hfs2) wrote:

    >I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
    >li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
    >Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
    >consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
    >If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
    >it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
    >I suppose it's all for style and size.

    I think the idea is that can recharge them, which you can also do
    while on vacation.
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

    Andrew, Apr 13, 2004

  3. hfs2

    Charlie Self Guest

    Andrew responds:

    >>I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
    >>li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
    >>Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
    >>consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
    >>If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
    >>it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
    >>I suppose it's all for style and size.

    >I think the idea is that can recharge them, which you can also do
    >while on vacation.

    Recharge them? You mean I can't recharge my NiMH and NiCad AAs?

    Damn. Wish I'd known that before I got to 500 charges on one set of NiHMs.

    Charlie Self
    "If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our
    institutions, great is our sin." Charles Darwin

    Charlie Self, Apr 13, 2004
  4. "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
    > On 13 Apr 2004 04:33:36 -0700, (hfs2) wrote:
    >
    > >I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
    > >li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
    > >Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
    > >consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
    > >If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
    > >it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
    > >I suppose it's all for style and size.

    > I think the idea is that can recharge them, which you can also do
    > while on vacation.

    Having had the problem of my rechargeable batteries running down and
    being able to buy replacement AAs immediately, I will take a lot of
    convincing to make me buy a camera that does not use them. I suppose
    the life time of a, doubtless expensive, Li battery may be greater but
    I don't think it is worth it.

    --
    James V. Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland, USA

    James Silverton, Apr 13, 2004
  5. hfs2

    Ron Hunter Guest

    hfs2 wrote:
    > I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
    > li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
    > Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
    > consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
    > If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
    > it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
    > I suppose it's all for style and size.
    >
    > Too bad. I could use those AA in any number of devices
    > at home too.
    >
    > That, along with the fall off lens cap are two bad ideas.

    I agree, so check out the DX6440. Now if they just hadn't gone to the
    SD flash format.... sigh.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 13, 2004
  6. hfs2

    Trevor S Guest

    "James Silverton" <> wrote in news:407be186$0
    $2759$:

    <snip>

    > Having had the problem of my rechargeable batteries running down and
    > being able to buy replacement AAs immediately, I will take a lot of
    > convincing to make me buy a camera that does not use them.

    or you could get more organised and ensure it doesn't happen.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Apr 14, 2004
  7. On 13 Apr 2004 04:33:36 -0700, (hfs2) wrote:

    >I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
    >li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
    >Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
    >consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
    >If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
    >it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
    >I suppose it's all for style and size.
    >
    >Too bad. I could use those AA in any number of devices
    >at home too.
    >
    >That, along with the fall off lens cap are two bad ideas.

    Far to many problem with using AA Batteries and broken doors and bad contacts,
    2 AA have 4 contacts, and the flimsy door has to make contact under pressure.

    Good move drop AA ...

    Yes I am a service tech and see all these problems..

    Robert Mathews, Apr 14, 2004
  8. hfs2

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Robert Mathews wrote:
    > On 13 Apr 2004 04:33:36 -0700, (hfs2) wrote:
    >

    >>I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
    >>li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
    >>Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
    >>consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
    >>If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
    >>it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
    >>I suppose it's all for style and size.
    >>
    >>Too bad. I could use those AA in any number of devices
    >>at home too.
    >>
    >>That, along with the fall off lens cap are two bad ideas.

    > Far to many problem with using AA Batteries and broken doors and bad contacts,
    > 2 AA have 4 contacts, and the flimsy door has to make contact under pressure.
    >

    > Good move drop AA ...
    >
    > Yes I am a service tech and see all these problems..

    > Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

    Too bad you don't agree with the users. Seems Kodak sees only what you
    are seeing. Better design of the doors and contacts would correct the
    problems while leaving the convenience factor.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 14, 2004
  9. hfs2

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings hfs2,

    Kodak has always reviewed and used the latest in technology for its
    products. In the case of the newer cameras we are using lithium batteries
    as they provide longer lasting power, and are easily recharged. Please also
    note that general use AA batteries are not recommended for Kodak digital
    cameras and I suspect that is likely true for most digital cameras that
    accept that format.

    Rather, it is important to be aware of the high power requirements of
    digital cameras. These cameras require a very specific amount of power to
    operate correctly (much more than a traditional film camera), and that is
    the reason we suggested the use of a 'rechargeable' NiMH battery. Other
    good power sources were identified as lithium batteries, such as the KODAK
    PHOTOLIFE Lithum Battery, CRV3 (similar in size and shape to the
    rechargeables). Many digital camera users will keep a lithium battery as a
    back-up in case their photographic needs extend beyond the usable charge of
    a NiMH battery set. You can review the power options we offer by going to
    the following page of our web site and choosing the 'Power Options' link:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/accessories

    The OXY Alkaline batteries that we included with some cameras, were included
    with your camera to "get you started quickly." Though they will work, they
    were not intended for long-term use. These first batteries may last for
    only a few shots because of the high power requirements of digital cameras
    and upon initial use the use of camera features and sharing the camera may
    deplete them or others quickly.

    Truth is, hfs2, we had you in mind, and I think you will find that the new
    lithium batteries that are now being used will serve you as well or much
    better.

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Apr 14, 2004
  10. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    Hah. You are funny.

    hfs2, Apr 14, 2004
  11. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    Oh yah, I'll just plug in my charger on that double dimond hill :)

    hfs2, Apr 14, 2004
  12. hfs2

    Trevor S Guest

    (hfs2) wrote in

    > Hah. You are funny.

    Yeah, thats what Robin Williams said to Eddie Murphy when finding him nude
    in his bathroom...

    On the other hand, two and a 1/2 decades of using properitary batteries for
    various electronic devices and I have not been cuaght out once, this
    "emergency" use argument for having AA's is, IMO, spurious.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Apr 15, 2004
  13. hfs2

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron Baird wrote:
    > Greetings hfs2,
    >
    > Kodak has always reviewed and used the latest in technology for its
    > products. In the case of the newer cameras we are using lithium batteries
    > as they provide longer lasting power, and are easily recharged. Please also
    > note that general use AA batteries are not recommended for Kodak digital
    > cameras and I suspect that is likely true for most digital cameras that
    > accept that format.
    >
    > Rather, it is important to be aware of the high power requirements of
    > digital cameras. These cameras require a very specific amount of power to
    > operate correctly (much more than a traditional film camera), and that is
    > the reason we suggested the use of a 'rechargeable' NiMH battery. Other
    > good power sources were identified as lithium batteries, such as the KODAK
    > PHOTOLIFE Lithum Battery, CRV3 (similar in size and shape to the
    > rechargeables). Many digital camera users will keep a lithium battery as a
    > back-up in case their photographic needs extend beyond the usable charge of
    > a NiMH battery set. You can review the power options we offer by going to
    > the following page of our web site and choosing the 'Power Options' link:
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/accessories
    >
    > The OXY Alkaline batteries that we included with some cameras, were included
    > with your camera to "get you started quickly." Though they will work, they
    > were not intended for long-term use. These first batteries may last for
    > only a few shots because of the high power requirements of digital cameras
    > and upon initial use the use of camera features and sharing the camera may
    > deplete them or others quickly.
    >
    > Truth is, hfs2, we had you in mind, and I think you will find that the new
    > lithium batteries that are now being used will serve you as well or much
    > better.
    >
    > Talk to you soon,
    >
    > Ron Baird
    > Eastman Kodak Company

    The reason many of us like the AA batteries is that the NIMH are cheap,
    and readily available anywhere. It is also easy to get CRV3 and the new
    Lithium AA cells just about anywhere these days. Getting a new
    proprietary lithium battery is somewhat difficult, and charging it isn't
    nearly as easy as just popping in a fresh battery that cost less than $10.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 15, 2004
  14. hfs2

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Trevor S wrote:

    > (hfs2) wrote in
    >

    >>Hah. You are funny.

    > Yeah, thats what Robin Williams said to Eddie Murphy when finding him nude
    > in his bathroom...
    >
    > On the other hand, two and a 1/2 decades of using properitary batteries for
    > various electronic devices and I have not been cuaght out once, this
    > "emergency" use argument for having AA's is, IMO, spurious.

    Perhaps for those with a predictable lifestyle. Many are more
    'spontaneous' and don't plan every action weeks in advance.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 15, 2004
  15. hfs2

    Trevor S Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > Perhaps for those with a predictable lifestyle.

    They might better be know as those that can't plan more then 2 hours into
    the future.

    > Many are more
    > 'spontaneous' and don't plan every action weeks in advance.

    So for those "types" I would have thought a charged battery would be
    derigeur... ie I have no idea what I am going to be doing in two hours so
    I had better charge my camera battery or I may get caught out.

    Sounds to me a case of laziness, inepeitutde or the inablity to plan more
    then not having an AA battery slot in a bit of equipment. Personally I
    love the Li batteries, eg I went two weeks camping and touring in outback
    Australia, days between towns (ie no ability to buy any AA batteries at a
    corner store) let alone have access to mains electricity, with a single
    battery for my SONY camcorder and never bothered to take a charger etc as I
    knew the battery would have more then enough life in it to last the trip,
    which it did, easily.

    Works for me...

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Apr 15, 2004
  16. hfs2

    WayneC Guest

    > > >I see some new cameras at Kodak use a square
    > > >li cell. Too bad. The AAs are a great common battery.
    > > >Now its just another 'particular', a professional supply, a
    > > >consumable that will cost more and render less utility.
    > > >If you need a quick battery on a vacation,
    > > >it will be difficult now to run into the next drugstore.
    > > >I suppose it's all for style and size.

    > > I think the idea is that can recharge them, which you can also do
    > > while on vacation.

    > Having had the problem of my rechargeable batteries running down and
    > being able to buy replacement AAs immediately, I will take a lot of
    > convincing to make me buy a camera that does not use them. I suppose
    > the life time of a, doubtless expensive, Li battery may be greater but
    > I don't think it is worth it.

    May be a little OT but as a backpacker it has become a primary requirement
    that an electronic device uses AA batteries. My wife and I each have digital
    cameras and when on the trail also carry AA flashlights, a AA powered white
    LED lantern and a AA powered GPS. We carry enough AA NiMH batteries to cover
    our expected usage but if we use one device more then expected we can cover
    it with batteries from another. When I bought my GPS I could have purchased
    one with the same functionality and a little lighter but it used AAA
    batteries. When I purchased my wife's digital cam AA batteries were a
    consideration (although secondary). Just my $.02

    WayneC, Apr 15, 2004
  17. hfs2

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Trevor S wrote:
    > Ron Hunter <> wrote in
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Perhaps for those with a predictable lifestyle.

    > They might better be know as those that can't plan more then 2 hours into
    > the future.
    >

    >>Many are more
    >>'spontaneous' and don't plan every action weeks in advance.

    > So for those "types" I would have thought a charged battery would be
    > derigeur... ie I have no idea what I am going to be doing in two hours so
    > I had better charge my camera battery or I may get caught out.
    >
    > Sounds to me a case of laziness, inepeitutde or the inablity to plan more
    > then not having an AA battery slot in a bit of equipment. Personally I
    > love the Li batteries, eg I went two weeks camping and touring in outback
    > Australia, days between towns (ie no ability to buy any AA batteries at a
    > corner store) let alone have access to mains electricity, with a single
    > battery for my SONY camcorder and never bothered to take a charger etc as I
    > knew the battery would have more then enough life in it to last the trip,
    > which it did, easily.
    >
    > Works for me...

    Because something works for you, and you see no need for any other
    method doesn't mean those who do need alternatives are stupid, or
    unprepared.

    I keep 4 sets of NIMH charged and ready for my camera and GPS. I also
    have a CRV3 available for emergencies. THAT'S prepared. However, I
    still have an option to pick up another CRV3 at a convenient Wal-Mart if
    I don't have time to recharge the NIMH while on a trip. I like options,
    even though I have never had to exercise that particular one. Believe
    it or not, there are times when charging batteries is not uppermost in
    one's mind, such as my recent trip to my sister's funeral.. The wild
    flowers were beautiful on the way home and I was on my last set of
    charged batteries, which lasted the trip, but I still had options.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 15, 2004
  18. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    I use NiMh AAs, 2200mAh.

    hfs2, Apr 15, 2004
  19. hfs2

    hfs2 Guest

    Ditto - Have you had problems with your AAAs leaking? I've lost a
    tv remove and flashlight to it. I've even seen packages in stores
    with leaking cells.

    hfs2, Apr 15, 2004
  20. hfs2

    Ron G Guest

    I agree. Although I have a charger for new CR-V3's for use in my trusty
    Oly D-560, I left it home in favor of NiMh's on my recent trip to the
    UK. Why? Who wants to carry extra chargers when a nifty tiny Panasonic
    quick charger can take care of radio, MP3 player, GPS, and camera? By
    and large, four batteries (the camera takes two at a time), recharged in
    an hour or so, gave me much more than a day's shooting with lcd on,
    reviewing, etc. The CR-V3 rechargeables are good for a 'day or two out'
    at home, but for the road give me AA's any time. Oh, and if the bag with
    the charger goes missing one can find a new charger anywhere and there
    are always off the shelf lithiums.

    Ron G, Apr 15, 2004