Kodak 6490

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry Caldwell, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. Larry Caldwell, Oct 5, 2003

  2. Larry Caldwell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Larry Caldwell wrote:

    > Has anyone used the new Kodak 6490 yet? It's a 4 mp camera with a 10x
    > Schneider-Kreuzenach Variogon zoom lens. I see Dell is selling it for
    > $449 this weekend, and I'm really tempted. It comes with its own battery
    > charger docking station.
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?B28132B16
    >
    > How sharp is the lens?

    How high is high?

    Concensus is that Schneider makes very good lenses.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 5, 2003

  3. (Ron Hunter) writes:
    > Larry Caldwell wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone used the new Kodak 6490 yet? It's a 4 mp camera with a 10x
    > > Schneider-Kreuzenach Variogon zoom lens. I see Dell is selling it for
    > > $449 this weekend, and I'm really tempted. It comes with its own battery
    > > charger docking station.
    > >
    > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?B28132B16
    > >
    > > How sharp is the lens?
    > >

    > How high is high?
    >
    > Concensus is that Schneider makes very good lenses.

    Sorry I wasn't more specific. Ultra zooms are pretty rare on compact
    digital cameras. I have an Olympus 720 with an 8x zoom, but the lens is
    pretty soft in the corners. You don't need a test grid, you can see the
    effect in every shot. Leaves in the corner of the shot are blurry, while
    they are sharp in the center of the frame. In order to get corner to
    corner sharpness, you have to switch to manual exposure and stop the lens
    down. It's the one big wart the camera has. The long zoom lens is nice
    for composition. I have seen articles on the 10x zoom on the Olympus
    740, and it shares the same wart.

    So, specifically, is the Kodak 6490 noticeably soft in the corners when
    shooting wide open? If Kodak has put a corner to corner sharp 10x ultra
    zoom on a 4 mp compact camera, I think they are going to sell a lot of
    them.

    As you say, Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon lenses have a really good rep,
    which is what got my attention.

    --
    http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

    Larry Caldwell, Oct 5, 2003
  4. Larry Caldwell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Larry Caldwell wrote:

    > (Ron Hunter) writes:
    >
    >>Larry Caldwell wrote:
    >>

    >>>Has anyone used the new Kodak 6490 yet? It's a 4 mp camera with a 10x
    >>>Schneider-Kreuzenach Variogon zoom lens. I see Dell is selling it for
    >>>$449 this weekend, and I'm really tempted. It comes with its own battery
    >>>charger docking station.
    >>>
    >>>http://makeashorterlink.com/?B28132B16
    >>>
    >>>How sharp is the lens?
    >>>

    >>How high is high?
    >>
    >>Concensus is that Schneider makes very good lenses.

    > Sorry I wasn't more specific. Ultra zooms are pretty rare on compact
    > digital cameras. I have an Olympus 720 with an 8x zoom, but the lens is
    > pretty soft in the corners. You don't need a test grid, you can see the
    > effect in every shot. Leaves in the corner of the shot are blurry, while
    > they are sharp in the center of the frame. In order to get corner to
    > corner sharpness, you have to switch to manual exposure and stop the lens
    > down. It's the one big wart the camera has. The long zoom lens is nice
    > for composition. I have seen articles on the 10x zoom on the Olympus
    > 740, and it shares the same wart.
    >
    > So, specifically, is the Kodak 6490 noticeably soft in the corners when
    > shooting wide open? If Kodak has put a corner to corner sharp 10x ultra
    > zoom on a 4 mp compact camera, I think they are going to sell a lot of
    > them.
    >
    > As you say, Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon lenses have a really good rep,
    > which is what got my attention.

    Try looking here, and judge for yourself. Also, read the review.
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx6490-review/gallery.shtml

    Ron Hunter, Oct 5, 2003
  5. (Ron Hunter) writes:

    > Try looking here, and judge for yourself. Also, read the review.
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx6490-review/gallery.shtml

    Thanks for the link, but I have my doubts about the reviewer. His tested
    camera had a serious flaw, and he evidently didn't spot it in the photos.
    He certainly didn't mention it.

    Take a look at

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/dx6490-review/103_0246.JPG

    In the concrete rim to the right hand side of the fountain, you can see
    the edge detail vanish and reappear. There was either a smear on the
    lens, a flaw in the lens or a flaw in the CCD. Maybe he got a water drop
    on the lens from the fountain? It looks too big for that.

    Judging from the EXIF information, the S-K lens doesn't perform much
    better than the Olympus lens. It is also soft in the corners. I think
    they are trying to make the lenses too small in all of these cameras.
    Maybe a little more glass would improve the corner performance.

    The center of the frame performance looks very nice, but it's not enough
    to make me want to upgrade my Olympus yet.

    --
    http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

    Larry Caldwell, Oct 5, 2003
  6. Larry Caldwell

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Larry,

    Great camera and a great price. I have used it a few times and it produced
    some very good results. What I like most are the manual settings, external
    flash, the electronic viewfinder, and the 10 X lens. Does everything I want
    a digital camera to do. I am experimenting with some close up work in a
    number of ways. Does a great job and I know you would like it. Try it out
    at local dealers but if not, you would like it anyway.

    I suggest a review of Steves Digicam Review and some of the other sites such
    as DPReview and Image Resources.

    Of course for details and technical specs direct, go to the Kodak site

    http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6490

    Talk to you soon. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

    Ron Baird
    Kodak

    Ron Baird, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Larry Caldwell

    Ben Guest

    When I was at BestBuy the other day I saw the same camera only it was only
    3.2 mp, but had the 10x zoom and everything else, I went in today and it
    wasn't there anymore? Is there a 3.2 mp version?

    Thanks,
    Ben

    Ben, Oct 7, 2003
  8. Larry Caldwell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ben wrote:
    > When I was at BestBuy the other day I saw the same camera only it was only
    > 3.2 mp, but had the 10x zoom and everything else, I went in today and it
    > wasn't there anymore? Is there a 3.2 mp version?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ben
    >
    > "Ron Baird" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Hi Larry,
    >>
    >>Great camera and a great price. I have used it a few times and it

    > produced
    >
    >>some very good results. What I like most are the manual settings,

    > external
    >
    >>flash, the electronic viewfinder, and the 10 X lens. Does everything I

    > want
    >
    >>a digital camera to do. I am experimenting with some close up work in a
    >>number of ways. Does a great job and I know you would like it. Try it

    > out
    >
    >>at local dealers but if not, you would like it anyway.
    >>
    >>I suggest a review of Steves Digicam Review and some of the other sites

    > such
    >
    >>as DPReview and Image Resources.
    >>
    >>Of course for details and technical specs direct, go to the Kodak site
    >>
    >>http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6490
    >>
    >>Talk to you soon. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    >>
    >>Ron Baird
    >>Kodak
    >>

    >>"Larry Caldwell" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Has anyone used the new Kodak 6490 yet? It's a 4 mp camera with a 10x
    >>>Schneider-Kreuzenach Variogon zoom lens. I see Dell is selling it for
    >>>$449 this weekend, and I'm really tempted. It comes with its own

    > battery
    >
    >>>charger docking station.
    >>>
    >>>http://makeashorterlink.com/?B28132B16
    >>>
    >>>How sharp is the lens?
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

    There is a 6440 that has 3.2 MP and a 4x zoom, plus digital zoom.
    Perhaps that is what you saw. Check out the pictures of the cameras at
    the kodak site. You will surely see the difference in the cameras.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 7, 2003
  9. Larry Caldwell

    Ben Guest

    THE ONLY difference was it said 3.2 mp on the front, same black case, same
    10x lens, the price was $237.50! First I went home and found only the info
    on the 6490, so felt it was a great one time only, one of a kind, kind of
    deal, I went back to buy it, only to find a 4.0 mp 6490 and a $499 price
    tag. Cie la vie.

    Ben, Oct 7, 2003
  10. Larry Caldwell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ben wrote:

    > THE ONLY difference was it said 3.2 mp on the front, same black case, same
    > 10x lens, the price was $237.50! First I went home and found only the info
    > on the 6490, so felt it was a great one time only, one of a kind, kind of
    > deal, I went back to buy it, only to find a 4.0 mp 6490 and a $499 price
    > tag. Cie la vie.
    >
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>There is a 6440 that has 3.2 MP and a 4x zoom, plus digital zoom.
    >>Perhaps that is what you saw. Check out the pictures of the cameras at
    >>the kodak site. You will surely see the difference in the cameras.

    He who hesitates is lost, I guess.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 7, 2003
  11. The 6490 is a 4Mpixel camera, there is no 3.2Mpix variant

    There is a 3 and 4Mpix variant of the 6x40 camera (substitute 3 or 4 to get
    the pixel count)

    what you saw must have been an error (that appears to have been corrected)
    in the retail presentation at Best Buy

    William Jackson, Oct 7, 2003
  12. (William Jackson) writes:
    > The 6490 is a 4Mpixel camera, there is no 3.2Mpix variant
    >
    > There is a 3 and 4Mpix variant of the 6x40 camera (substitute 3 or 4 to get
    > the pixel count)

    Yeah, a 3mp would be a 6390, or as you note, a x340 would be a 3 mp
    camera with a 4x optical zoom, an x430 would be a 4 mp camera with a 3x
    optical zoom.

    I guess the 6490 got its numbers because 9 was the biggest number they
    could put in for a 10x zoom.

    --
    http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

    Larry Caldwell, Oct 7, 2003
  13. Larry Caldwell

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi Larry,

    The number scheme relates to the camera and features. For example, the 6
    relates to the series 6xxx, the 4 relates to megapixels of the CCD, the 9
    does relate to the optical features of the camera, i.e. 9x or in reality 10x
    optical zoom.

    Hope this helps. Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird, Oct 16, 2003