Kodak 6340/6440 vs Sony P72/P8 vs Olympus C 730/740

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Siddhartha Jain, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I am looking for a new digital camera. I am clear about my
    requirements:
    1. Pref 3MP or above.

    2. Small and lightweight. I have a small 2.1 MP CMOS camera now which
    fits in my shirt pocket. And I take lots of pics with it because it is
    so easy to carry around. I doubt that would be the case if I switched
    to a bigger camera.

    3. Auto-focus.

    4. Major requirement - Ability to shoot indoors, in low-light and
    generally brighter photos. My current humble camera gives me shots
    like this in daylight
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0003.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0030.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0163.JPG

    Indoors and low-light is simply BAD:
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0007.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0001.JPG
    http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0054.jpg

    As you can see the shaded areas turn up bad and low-light is a
    disaster. Although, the camera has white-balance modes like shadow and
    sunlight, which I guess, would solve some of the problems but I want
    point-and-shoot. Not because I can't do manual adjustments but because
    many-a-times the moment slips away while you fiddle with the
    adjustments.

    My friend just bought a Olympus C-350 - 3.2 MP.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008WD8Y/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/202-8017177-4663865

    I took some photos indoors in the night and to my amazement the photos
    were just as bad as my 2.1-CMOS camera's!!!

    So I looked for reviews of C-730, 740 and 750 which seem good except
    that they are big and I don't really need all that zoom. I can't ever
    recall using zoom. Though I appreciate good macro mode photos.

    So to sum-up,
    1. 3MP or above.
    2. Point-and-shoot
    3. Low-light and indoors.
    4. Light-weight and small.
    5. Auto-focus

    So I looked and read on the net. And Am I looking at Kodak 6340/6440
    or Sony P72/P8 or Olympus C-730/740 (compare without the zooms)?

    TIA,

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    **Firre** Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking for a new digital camera. I am clear about my
    > requirements:
    > 1. Pref 3MP or above.
    >
    > 2. Small and lightweight. I have a small 2.1 MP CMOS camera now which
    > fits in my shirt pocket. And I take lots of pics with it because it is
    > so easy to carry around. I doubt that would be the case if I switched
    > to a bigger camera.
    >
    > 3. Auto-focus.
    >
    > 4. Major requirement - Ability to shoot indoors, in low-light and
    > generally brighter photos. My current humble camera gives me shots
    > like this in daylight
    > http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0003.jpg
    > http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0030.jpg
    > http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0163.JPG
    >
    > Indoors and low-light is simply BAD:
    > http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0007.jpg
    > http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0001.JPG
    > http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000/private/DSCI0054.jpg
    >
    > As you can see the shaded areas turn up bad and low-light is a
    > disaster. Although, the camera has white-balance modes like shadow and
    > sunlight, which I guess, would solve some of the problems but I want
    > point-and-shoot. Not because I can't do manual adjustments but because
    > many-a-times the moment slips away while you fiddle with the
    > adjustments.
    >
    > My friend just bought a Olympus C-350 - 3.2 MP.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008WD8Y/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/202-8017177-4663865

    > I took some photos indoors in the night and to my amazement the photos
    > were just as bad as my 2.1-CMOS camera's!!!
    >
    > So I looked for reviews of C-730, 740 and 750 which seem good except
    > that they are big and I don't really need all that zoom. I can't ever
    > recall using zoom. Though I appreciate good macro mode photos.
    >
    > So to sum-up,
    > 1. 3MP or above.
    > 2. Point-and-shoot
    > 3. Low-light and indoors.
    > 4. Light-weight and small.
    > 5. Auto-focus
    >
    > So I looked and read on the net. And Am I looking at Kodak 6340/6440
    > or Sony P72/P8 or Olympus C-730/740 (compare without the zooms)?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Siddhartha

    I would go for the Kodak 6340/6440. I have a CX6230 and this is the one that
    had the "best in test" in the pricegroup up to 250US$, and i think it was
    the most end best for the money. It had a good grip and it had all the
    cameras up to 650US$ had.

    /M
    **Firre**, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Siddhartha Jain

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Siddhartha,

    I can appreciate your frustration. I do want to help you.

    From the examples you have shared it is apparent that your shots have been
    underexposed. Since you do not have control over the exposure with the
    camera you have chosen you may want to move up a click to the DX6490 model,
    which has external flash connections. You can attach a more powerful flash
    that will significantly extend the flash range and good results. Be sure to
    use a flash with an external sensor as auto flashes will not synch with the
    camera. Rather, it only The camera will accept a low voltage pulse option
    to fire your flash. The noted camera does have many options for setting
    aperture, and shutter to also improve results.

    Read over the following pages to get more details.
    http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6490 and http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6440

    Once you have reviewed these options, let me know if you want more
    information and I will be glad to help further. You do have some control
    over your exposure with the DX6440 so you can improve results such as under
    or over exposure. Just choose the PAS mode so you can adjust your camera
    for aperture priority, shutter priority, or program. You can make your own
    selections.

    Hope this helps, Siddhartha, but if you have other questions, let me know
    and I will follow through for you.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Hello Ron,

    Thanks for the information. I went to the Kodak/Olympus dealer here in
    Muscat, Oman looking forward to compare Kodak 6440/6490 and Olympus
    C-4000/730/750. Unfortunately, they did not have the Kodak 6440/6490
    is stock and weren't expecting it arrive anytime sooner than a month.
    So I bought a Olympus C-750.

    Anyways, I still have a budget for buying another digicam for
    girlfriend. Now that could be a Kodak :) I really liked the ease of
    use and interface of the 6340.

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 2, 2003