kodack announced another 10,000 layoffs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by burnsdavidj@yahoo.com, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Jul 20, 2005

  2. Bill Hilton Guest

    >Kodak continues to take a beating.

    After a while these press releases all start to sound alike, whether
    it's Kodak or Agfa or Ilford or Polaroid or film camera makers. Every
    one of them seems to include a quote like this ... "to counter a
    faster-than-expected decline in consumer film sales", as if they are
    baffled by events beyond their understanding.

    You would think that if it happens five years in a row it wouldn't be
    so "unexpected" anymore. It's not like the trend hasn't been clear for
    some time now.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Jul 20, 2005

  3. King Sardon Guest

    On 20 Jul 2005 07:09:15 -0700, "Bill Hilton" <>
    wrote:

    >>Kodak continues to take a beating.

    >After a while these press releases all start to sound alike, whether
    >it's Kodak or Agfa or Ilford or Polaroid or film camera makers. Every
    >one of them seems to include a quote like this ... "to counter a
    >faster-than-expected decline in consumer film sales", as if they are
    >baffled by events beyond their understanding.
    >
    >You would think that if it happens five years in a row it wouldn't be
    >so "unexpected" anymore. It's not like the trend hasn't been clear for
    >some time now.
    >
    >Bill

    True... there must be a lot of denial happening.

    IMHO most camera stores may also disappear because of competition from
    the discount electronic/computer/office stores. And used camera stores
    which are loaded to the ceiling with (formerly expensive and
    treasured) old film gear are imperiled.

    K.S.
    King Sardon, Jul 20, 2005
  4. "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    > > Kodak continues to take a beating.

    > After a while these press releases all start to sound alike, whether it's
    > Kodak or Agfa or Ilford or Polaroid or film camera makers. Every one of
    > them seems to include a quote like this ... "to counter a
    > faster-than-expected decline in consumer film sales", as if they are
    > baffled by events beyond their understanding.
    >
    > You would think that if it happens five years in a row it wouldn't be so
    > "unexpected" anymore. It's not like the trend hasn't been clear for some
    > time now.
    >
    > Bill

    The decline in film sales and hence film cameras has probably been
    accelerated beyond the business predictions. Maybe they didn't take into
    account the inexplicable behaviour of some staff at film processing labs.

    In latter years in the UK there were several high profile cases where
    innocent celebrities were reported by processing workers for taking child
    abuse photographs. Photographs that eventually after somewhat protracted
    police gravitas, turned out to be harmless family snaps. A naked son or
    daughter in the bath, that sort of thing.

    The celebrity cases were probably just the tip of the iceberg which surfaced
    into the media spotlight. How many other cases involving innocent ordinary
    family snapshotters went unnoticed? It's anybody's guess. Didn't these
    snoopers realise their actions massively publicised one of the main
    advantages of a new photographic technology? One which obviates the need for
    their expensive services and therefore puts them straight out of a job?

    Talk about turkeys voting for Christmas!

    --
    T Ritchie (Sr)
    no.canned.pork, Jul 20, 2005
  5. Mark Roberts Guest

    Mark Roberts, Jul 20, 2005
  6. Mark Roberts Guest

    Re: kodak announced another 10,000 layoffs

    Mark Roberts <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050720/earns_eastman_kodak.html?.v=9

    >Details in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle:
    >http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050720/BUSINESS/50720001

    And not that I'm even suggesting there's any truth to the "HP buying
    Kodak" rumour, but today's drop in Kodak's stock price certainly means
    HP now would have to spend much less to do so.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing
    Mark Roberts, Jul 20, 2005
  7. Yes, it is true. Film sales in China were well below expectations. On
    a positive note, Kodak's Digital business grew by more than 40%. The
    company is in transition - moving away from a film based photographic
    company to a digital one.

    Alan

    Alan Wonsowski, Jul 21, 2005
  8. JohnR66 Guest

    "King Sardon" <> wrote in message
    > On 20 Jul 2005 07:09:15 -0700, "Bill Hilton" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>>Kodak continues to take a beating.

    >>After a while these press releases all start to sound alike, whether
    >>it's Kodak or Agfa or Ilford or Polaroid or film camera makers. Every
    >>one of them seems to include a quote like this ... "to counter a
    >>faster-than-expected decline in consumer film sales", as if they are
    >>baffled by events beyond their understanding.
    >>
    >>You would think that if it happens five years in a row it wouldn't be
    >>so "unexpected" anymore. It's not like the trend hasn't been clear for
    >>some time now.
    >>
    >>Bill

    > True... there must be a lot of denial happening.
    >
    > IMHO most camera stores may also disappear because of competition from
    > the discount electronic/computer/office stores. And used camera stores
    > which are loaded to the ceiling with (formerly expensive and
    > treasured) old film gear are imperiled.
    >
    > K.S.

    So true. There's a nice camera store in my town that used to carry Canon,
    Nikon and Pentax. They had nearly every SLR in the lines, Even carried
    medium format. MF was the first to go years ago. Now I walk in the store and
    there's not a single SLR. "Digital has been hard on us.", comments the
    owner. "I can't afford to buy anything to stock the shelves".

    I was there in May, kind of surprised to see that they were still open.
    Shelves still bare. The owner is always talkative and in good spirits. I
    think the owner has a huge personal stash of cash and just keeps it open as
    a hobby. I'm sure he'll give in and shut it down. I can be there for an hour
    chatting about cameras and such and only one customer can walk in and buy
    film or look at a camera. It will be sad when it finally dies. It was a
    great store where I purchased a lot of photo stuff over the years.
    John
    JohnR66, Jul 21, 2005
  9. Father Kodak Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:21:38 -0400, Alan Wonsowski
    <> wrote:

    >Yes, it is true. Film sales in China were well below expectations. On
    >a positive note, Kodak's Digital business grew by more than 40%. The
    >company is in transition - moving away from a film based photographic
    >company to a digital one.

    The big difference for Kodak now in a Digital world is that they don't
    have dominant market shares. Big market shares always mean better
    profit margins. And Kodak has to share the market with very
    lean-and-mean computer peripheral companies (printers) and consumer
    electronics companies that have great brands (Sony).

    I'm glad I don't own any Kodak stock.
    Father Kodak, Jul 21, 2005
  10. Father Kodak Guest

    wrote:

    >>Kodak continues to take a beating.

    >After a while these press releases all start to sound alike, whether
    >it's Kodak or Agfa or Ilford or Polaroid or film camera makers. Every
    >one of them seems to include a quote like this ... "to counter a
    >faster-than-expected decline in consumer film sales", as if they are
    >baffled by events beyond their understanding.
    >
    >You would think that if it happens five years in a row it wouldn't be
    >so "unexpected" anymore. It's not like the trend hasn't been clear for
    >some time now.

    It never ceases to amaze me how many CEOs and their boards of
    directors have such a large capacity for denial. Hardly confined to
    Kodak or even to Rochester, NY. Look at the declining market shares
    for General Motors.

    Father Kodak
    Father Kodak, Jul 21, 2005
  11. Jeremy Guest

    Father Kodak wrote:

    > The big difference for Kodak now in a Digital world is that they don't
    > have dominant market shares.

    You've hit the nail squarely on the head.

    Digital imaging is a completely new technology--and companies like Sony,
    Panasonic and HO--companies that would never have gotten even a toehold
    in traditional film camera businesses--are dominant players in the
    digital market.

    If Kodak loses its reputation as a photo leader, how can that help it
    retain digital market share? Kodal will be perceived as just another
    also-ran.

    I really am sorry for their predicament. Despite their recent
    shortcomings, that company was singlehandedly responsible for bring
    photography to the everyday person. We are, in a sense, indebted to
    them. It is sad to watch them struggle in an industry that they
    themselves created.
    Jeremy, Jul 21, 2005
  12. I think film, paper and chemical sales are highly profitable. I.e., low
    cost per unit and high markup. I believe sales of electronic equipment
    (cameras, computers, etc), is not nearly as profitable. So when Kodak
    is trying to transition between a highly profitable area where they are
    the market leader, to a not so profitable area where they are
    following, it's tough. Of course Kodak has made a number of poor
    decisions over the years which hasn't helped. Even now they announce
    they want to be a out of traditional photography by such-and-such year
    (as I remember). Why not let the business just die rather than kill if
    off (considering the profit above).

    Jay Wenner
    Bjorn A. Payne Diaz, Jul 21, 2005
  13. Father Kodak Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:39:19 GMT, Jeremy <> wrote:

    >Father Kodak wrote:
    >
    >> The big difference for Kodak now in a Digital world is that they don't
    >> have dominant market shares.

    >You've hit the nail squarely on the head.
    >
    >Digital imaging is a completely new technology--and companies like Sony,
    >Panasonic and HO--companies that would never have gotten even a toehold
    >in traditional film camera businesses--are dominant players in the
    >digital market.
    >
    >If Kodak loses its reputation as a photo leader, how can that help it
    >retain digital market share? Kodal will be perceived as just another
    >also-ran.
    >
    >I really am sorry for their predicament. Despite their recent
    >shortcomings, that company was singlehandedly responsible for bring
    >photography to the everyday person. We are, in a sense, indebted to
    >them. It is sad to watch them struggle in an industry that they
    >themselves created.

    True enough, but this evolution is classic. Almost every time there
    is a "disruptive" change, the current market leaders are too slow and
    too late to react effectively. Digital photography is disruptive. So
    was the shift away from mainframes, where IBM was absolutely dominant.
    The shift to fuel-efficient cars after the 1970s oil embargoes gave
    Japanese car companies an opening in the US market.

    Remember daisywheel printers and Diablo Systems? No? Before laser
    printers, daisywheels were the standard for high quality printing.
    Etc., etc., etc.

    It's tough for a company to know when to shift away from their current
    products to the "new" technology. How do you know that the latest
    innovation is really important and will become popular. How do you
    manage to keep your existing sales going when it is obvious that you
    are not going to improve them. How do you face reality and admit the
    need for a change that will devalue a lot of the stuff that you have
    worked many years to put into place.

    Tough decisions.

    Father Kodak
    Father Kodak, Jul 21, 2005