    to change the gamma to high levels and I am never really satisfied
    with the result ...

    Who had encountered this kind of problem? Thank you for help!

    GD, Jul 30, 2004

  2. GD

    Bob Williams Guest

    GD wrote:
    > I'am encountering problems scanning Kodachrome slides with an Elite
    > 5400 scan.
    > The pictures are rather dark and sometimes the colors saturated
    > In fact, the scan is of poor quality vs what I can see on the slide
    > I'm very surprised as I had no problem with negative films where I had
    > only to use automatic correction in Photoshop; With the slides I have
    > to change the gamma to high levels and I am never really satisfied
    > with the result ...
    >
    > Who had encountered this kind of problem? Thank you for help!

    There is something weird about Kodachrome.
    Unless the scanner has a special setting for Kodachrome, you usually get
    off colors. I don't know why, because to the eyes it looks just like
    Ektachrome. There must be some kind of UV filter coating that affects
    the transmission of certain visible wavelengths. I tried to make digital
    copies of Kodachrome slides with a Nikon 4300 and a slide copier.
    They came out way too orange. Ektachrome was fine.....Go figure.
    I was able to fix the Kodachrome images in Photoshop but it took a lot
    of fiddling around.
    Maybe someone else knows the precise explanation for the Kodachrome Anomaly.

    Bob Williams, Jul 30, 2004

  3. GD

    Mike Powers Guest

    Kodachrome has more Red, Ektachrome favors blue

    Mike Powers, Jul 30, 2004
  4. GD

    Anoni Moose Guest

    (GD) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'am encountering problems scanning Kodachrome slides with an Elite
    > 5400 scan.
    > The pictures are rather dark and sometimes the colors saturated
    > In fact, the scan is of poor quality vs what I can see on the slide
    > I'm very surprised as I had no problem with negative films where I had
    > only to use automatic correction in Photoshop; With the slides I have
    > to change the gamma to high levels and I am never really satisfied
    > with the result ...
    >
    > Who had encountered this kind of problem? Thank you for help!

    One of the generic answers for this kind of question is to ask
    if you've tried to use VueScan with it (hamrick.com). It's good
    software for a very reasonable price (esp for those of us who bought
    it a zillion years ago and still using the "forever upgrades for free"
    policy. Also works with most scanners, not a one-scanner software like
    silverfast.

    So... if you haven't tried it (think its got a Kodachrome as one of its
    listed film modes), give it a try -- trying is free, or used to be anyway. :)

    If you succeed, please post results here. I've been thinking about getting
    one of those scanners and probably 20% of my slides are Kodachrome (although
    that will be declining as Kodachrome seems to be on it's last legs).

    Mike

    Anoni Moose, Jul 30, 2004
  5. GD

    Hecate Guest

    On 30 Jul 2004 10:22:32 -0700, (Anoni Moose) wrote:

    > (GD) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> I'am encountering problems scanning Kodachrome slides with an Elite
    >> 5400 scan.
    >> The pictures are rather dark and sometimes the colors saturated
    >> In fact, the scan is of poor quality vs what I can see on the slide
    >> I'm very surprised as I had no problem with negative films where I had
    >> only to use automatic correction in Photoshop; With the slides I have
    >> to change the gamma to high levels and I am never really satisfied
    >> with the result ...
    >>
    >> Who had encountered this kind of problem? Thank you for help!

    There is always a problem with Kodachrome, whatever scanner you use.
    Kodachromes are far denser and have a different colour balance to
    other slide films.

    What you have to do is scan and adjust manually until you get the
    right setting. Then save the settings as a job. Use that job each
    time, but make sure you check each slide before committing a save. I
    love Kodachrome as a film (especially the reds which come out as
    almost 3D) but I've switched to Velvia for this very reason.

    >One of the generic answers for this kind of question is to ask
    >if you've tried to use VueScan with it (hamrick.com). It's good
    >software for a very reasonable price (esp for those of us who bought
    >it a zillion years ago and still using the "forever upgrades for free"
    >policy. Also works with most scanners, not a one-scanner software like
    >silverfast.
    >
    >So... if you haven't tried it (think its got a Kodachrome as one of its
    >listed film modes), give it a try -- trying is free, or used to be anyway. :)

    No, don't try it with a Minolta. Vuescan just doesn't work with the
    Scan Elite.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One

    veni, vidi, reliqui