Know anyone that's a Mac User?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by ~BD~, Apr 17, 2009.

  1. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    An email message received from a friend today says:-

    "Then let them know that malware researchers have discovered what appears to
    be the first Mac OSX botnet, aka MacBot or iBotnet and its receiving a
    substantial amount of industry and media interest.

    Early estimates suggest that thousands of people have unknowingly downloaded
    the infected files. Don't let yourself be one of them...

    In a nutshell the botnet is launching a number of malware variants inside
    pirated copies of popular Mac based software in order to take control of the
    infected Mac machine.

    First and foremost make sure that you and your fellow Mac users, exercise
    caution, have Mac specific security software installed and that your
    existing version of iAntiVirus is up to date - there's a free version or you
    can purchase a version with full functionality and support for only $29.95.
    It's also vital that you enable and install the latest Mac security
    updates".

    Regards
    PC Tools Team

    http://www.iantivirus.com/

    Has anyone here any thoughts about the need for this product and/or
    knowledge of the alleged Mac botnet?

    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Apr 17, 2009

  2. ~BD~

    Todd H. Guest

    "~BD~" <> writes:

    > An email message received from a friend today says:-
    >
    > "Then let them know that malware researchers have discovered what appears to
    > be the first Mac OSX botnet, aka MacBot or iBotnet and its receiving a
    > substantial amount of industry and media interest.
    >
    > Early estimates suggest that thousands of people have unknowingly downloaded
    > the infected files. Don't let yourself be one of them...
    >
    > In a nutshell the botnet is launching a number of malware variants inside
    > pirated copies of popular Mac based software in order to take control of the
    > infected Mac machine.
    >
    > First and foremost make sure that you and your fellow Mac users, exercise
    > caution, have Mac specific security software installed and that your
    > existing version of iAntiVirus is up to date - there's a free version or you
    > can purchase a version with full functionality and support for only $29.95.
    > It's also vital that you enable and install the latest Mac security
    > updates".
    >
    > Regards
    > PC Tools Team
    >
    > http://www.iantivirus.com/

    > Has anyone here any thoughts about the need for this product and/or
    > knowledge of the alleged Mac botnet?

    My first suspicion is "How very convenient that they recommend
    iAntiVirus."

    But I have no doubts that if you run trojaned software, you'll get
    owned no matter what platform you run. And if it's well trojaned, AV
    won't be terribly useful in detecting it.

    I had seen some press about a mac specific botnet though, and the
    platform is by no means bulletproof.

    Wish I had more informed commentary to give ya though. Maybe others
    with more of a malware bent can add something more constructive.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Apr 19, 2009

  3. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "~BD~" <> writes:
    >
    >> An email message received from a friend today says:-
    >>
    >> "Then let them know that malware researchers have discovered what appears to
    >> be the first Mac OSX botnet, aka MacBot or iBotnet and its receiving a
    >> substantial amount of industry and media interest.
    >>
    >> Early estimates suggest that thousands of people have unknowingly downloaded
    >> the infected files. Don't let yourself be one of them...
    >>
    >> In a nutshell the botnet is launching a number of malware variants inside
    >> pirated copies of popular Mac based software in order to take control of the
    >> infected Mac machine.
    >>
    >> First and foremost make sure that you and your fellow Mac users, exercise
    >> caution, have Mac specific security software installed and that your
    >> existing version of iAntiVirus is up to date - there's a free version or you
    >> can purchase a version with full functionality and support for only $29.95.
    >> It's also vital that you enable and install the latest Mac security
    >> updates".
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> PC Tools Team
    >>
    >> http://www.iantivirus.com/

    >> Has anyone here any thoughts about the need for this product and/or
    >> knowledge of the alleged Mac botnet?

    > My first suspicion is "How very convenient that they recommend
    > iAntiVirus."
    >
    > But I have no doubts that if you run trojaned software, you'll get
    > owned no matter what platform you run. And if it's well trojaned, AV
    > won't be terribly useful in detecting it.
    >
    > I had seen some press about a mac specific botnet though, and the
    > platform is by no means bulletproof.
    >
    > Wish I had more informed commentary to give ya though. Maybe others
    > with more of a malware bent can add something more constructive.
    >

    > Best Regards,

    Thanks for your reply, Todd.

    I'm always a bit suspicious too - and have never before heard of
    iantivirus!

    There don't seem to be many anti-malware programmes designed for a Mac
    and those that I have looked at seem to be aimed at Windows malware
    which might be inadvertently passed on by a Mac user to someone using
    Windows.

    I checked out your 'bunnie videos' again (on your web site) but still
    get a message saying "Not Found" and (for example) "The requested URL
    /users/kmorgan/todd/clean_snow_jord.avi was not found on this server".

    Do the links work for anyone else? TIA
    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Apr 19, 2009