Know any good Binoculars shops in/near LONDON, UK? (for quality binoculars)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Shiperton Henethe, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
    in the UK!

    I have now done quite a lot of surfing and I still
    can't find a single shop in the UK that seems to stock
    a decent range of quality binoculars... (let alone
    describe them online). There is practically nothing
    in Google...

    Fwiw, the there is a (IMHO) fabulous resource
    on www.epinions.com listing most (all?) of the top
    binoculars models and is a great place to compare
    features. The opinions there are a start but
    limited in numbers and slightly trashy one suspects.

    Trouble is that it's all USA based of course.
    Pah! Why cant the brits do something similar/better?!

    Out of desperation I tried buying birdwatching
    magazines but Brixton is clean out of stock of
    such a thing...

    ==> Meanwhile can anyone suggest any physical shops
    in (Central-ish) London with a decent range
    of top quality binoculars to try out??

    I know about http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/home.php
    and intend to visit them though their range of stock
    may prove limited (judging by their website...)!

    With thanks

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe, Aug 6, 2003

  2. "Shiperton Henethe" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
    > in the UK!
    >
    > I have now done quite a lot of surfing and I still
    > can't find a single shop in the UK that seems to stock
    > a decent range of quality binoculars... (let alone
    > describe them online). There is practically nothing
    > in Google...

    I've already emailed you privately but had no reply so I'll try again.

    If you can manage it, the Bird Fair at Rutland Water is coming up
    (15-17th August) A great day out and you can compare every single
    model under field conditions. Warning - don't buy there though. Do
    what everyone else does and go home and order from either Ace Optics
    or Warehouse Express - much cheaper and first class service.

    http://www.birdfair.org.uk/

    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/

    http://www.acecameras.co.uk/

    If you want descriptions of individual models, go to the appropriate
    manufacturer's web page, Leica, Swarovski etc

    If you want reviews etc, several people have pointed you to the better
    view desired pages.

    We're doing all we can to help you ...

    Gordon
    Gordon Hamlett, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Shiperton Henethe

    Daje Guest

    > Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
    > in the UK!
    >
    > I have now done quite a lot of surfing and I still
    > can't find a single shop in the UK that seems to stock
    > a decent range of quality binoculars... (let alone
    > describe them online). There is practically nothing
    > in Google...
    >
    > Fwiw, the there is a (IMHO) fabulous resource
    > on www.epinions.com listing most (all?) of the top
    > binoculars models and is a great place to compare
    > features. The opinions there are a start but
    > limited in numbers and slightly trashy one suspects.
    >
    > Trouble is that it's all USA based of course.
    > Pah! Why cant the brits do something similar/better?!
    >
    > Out of desperation I tried buying birdwatching
    > magazines but Brixton is clean out of stock of
    > such a thing...
    >
    > ==> Meanwhile can anyone suggest any physical shops
    > in (Central-ish) London with a decent range
    > of top quality binoculars to try out??
    >
    > I know about http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/home.php
    > and intend to visit them though their range of stock
    > may prove limited (judging by their website...)!
    >
    > With thanks
    >

    > Ship

    Infocus have an outlet at The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, London Wetland
    Centre, Queen Elizabeth's Walk, Barnes, London SW13 9WT Tel: 020 8409 4433.
    Haven't been to this particular shop but if it is the same as their roving
    outlet that visits various sites round the UK they should have a good range
    of quality bins that you can test and compare. SW13 may not be very central
    but the Wetland Centre sounds better than Oxford street for testing
    binoculars.

    Dave
    Daje, Aug 6, 2003
  4. Shiperton Henethe

    Osprey Guest

    "Alan Gardiner" <> wrote in message

    > "Shiperton Henethe" <> wrote in message
    > > Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
    > > in the UK!
    > >

    > I did suggest the London Camera exchange in the Strand (No 98 telephone
    > 0207 379 0200 ) http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/shop.php?id=5.
    >
    > It's definitely central London and would at least be worth a phone call
    > to see what they stock.

    He He. They have the reputation for optics as the
    preverbial................. & the rest of their outlets are the same.

    Osprey
    Osprey, Aug 6, 2003
  5. "Daje" <> wrote:

    >Infocus have an outlet at The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, London Wetland
    >Centre, Queen Elizabeth's Walk, Barnes, London SW13 9WT Tel: 020 8409 4433.
    >Haven't been to this particular shop but if it is the same as their roving
    >outlet that visits various sites round the UK they should have a good range
    >of quality bins that you can test and compare. SW13 may not be very central
    >but the Wetland Centre sounds better than Oxford street for testing
    >binoculars.

    The only problem with In Focus is that they don't stock Leica binoculars and
    anyone thinking of buying good quality bins. should be including Leica on their
    comparison list.

    --
    Mike Humberston
    Barnes, London

    WARNING: Spam trap in operation. Send any e-mail reply to mike, not oblivion.
    Mike Humberston, Aug 6, 2003
  6. Shiperton Henethe

    Osprey Guest

    "Mike Humberston" <> wrote in message
    > "Daje" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Infocus have an outlet at The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, London

    Wetland
    > >Centre, Queen Elizabeth's Walk, Barnes, London SW13 9WT Tel: 020 8409

    4433.
    > >Haven't been to this particular shop but if it is the same as their

    roving
    > >outlet that visits various sites round the UK they should have a good

    range
    > >of quality bins that you can test and compare. SW13 may not be very

    central
    > >but the Wetland Centre sounds better than Oxford street for testing
    > >binoculars.

    > The only problem with In Focus is that they don't stock Leica binoculars

    and
    > anyone thinking of buying good quality bins. should be including Leica on

    their
    > comparison list.

    Not surprised! Over rated to be sure and at least comparable Bino's are
    cheaper.

    Osprey
    Osprey, Aug 6, 2003
  7. In article <>,
    Mike Humberston <> wrote:

    > Go to Kay Optical in Morden, South London. If you are in Brixton then it's not
    > that far from you. Their web site http://www.kayoptical.co.uk/ is little more
    > than a list of models and prices but I would only make a decision about
    > binocular purchase after making comparison by actually handling and using them,
    > not by reading reviews in magazines (which rely on manufacturers for advertising
    > revenue) or on the Internet where many of the reviews are little more than
    > self-justifications for purchases.
    >
    > Kay have models from all the top manufacturers although I would telephone them
    > in advance of visiting them. They also run field days at various reserves in
    > the South-east on Sundays - see their web site for details.
    >
    > I have purchased from them and have found them to be helpful people to do
    > business with.

    I would concur. I've bought a number of bins and several scopes from Kay
    [not the London shop] over the years from our local rep (now retired) who
    toured various of the reserves. Ever helpful and I was always happy to go
    back.

    The nice things was being able to try out on my local reserve in normal
    conditions [dull, drizzly and cold].
    Simon Gardner, Aug 7, 2003
  8. "Osprey" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Humberston" <> wrote in message
    > > "Daje" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Infocus have an outlet at The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, London

    > Wetland
    > > >Centre, Queen Elizabeth's Walk, Barnes, London SW13 9WT Tel: 020 8409

    > 4433.
    > > >Haven't been to this particular shop but if it is the same as their

    > roving
    > > >outlet that visits various sites round the UK they should have a good

    > range
    > > >of quality bins that you can test and compare. SW13 may not be very

    > central
    > > >but the Wetland Centre sounds better than Oxford street for testing
    > > >binoculars.

    > > The only problem with In Focus is that they don't stock Leica binoculars

    > and
    > > anyone thinking of buying good quality bins. should be including Leica

    on
    > their
    > > comparison list.

    > Not surprised! Over rated to be sure and at least comparable Bino's are
    > cheaper.

    But Swaros are more expensive.
    Nikons may prove nearly as good
    but heavier than both. Weight
    though not physical size is
    terribly important to me
    (as I shall be doing extreme
    hillwalking with them).

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe, Aug 7, 2003
  9. Excellent. Thanks

    Ship

    Shiperton Henethe, Aug 7, 2003
  10. Shiperton Henethe

    Malcolm Guest

    In article <3f327c06$0$10766$>, Shiperton
    Henethe <> writes

    >"Gordon Hamlett" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Shiperton Henethe" <> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
    >> > in the UK!
    >> >
    >> > I have now done quite a lot of surfing and I still
    >> > can't find a single shop in the UK that seems to stock
    >> > a decent range of quality binoculars... (let alone
    >> > describe them online). There is practically nothing
    >> > in Google...
    >> >

    >> I've already emailed you privately but had no reply so I'll try again.
    >>
    >> If you can manage it, the Bird Fair at Rutland Water is coming up
    >> (15-17th August) A great day out and you can compare every single
    >> model under field conditions. Warning - don't buy there though. Do
    >> what everyone else does and go home and order from either Ace Optics
    >> or Warehouse Express - much cheaper and first class service.
    >>
    >> http://www.birdfair.org.uk/

    >Not abad plan but..
    >Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >Why cant people design website properly??
    >Where the heck is this fair?
    >Where is Rutland Water ?
    >And how would I get there by public transport?
    >*Which* Oakham is it near.
    >Streetmap.co.uk has about 19!

    If you go back to Streetmap, you'll find there is just one Rutland
    Water!

    And what on earth's wrong with the website? If you go back to it and
    look in the left hand column of the home page you will see a very
    obvious link labelled "Travel & accommodation" which contains everything
    to answer your questions. Indeed, when you click on it, the very first
    item that appears is "Where is Rutland Water", and that is followed by
    links to "By car or coach" and "By Train".

    >> We're doing all we can to help you ...

    >Yes much appreciated!!

    Good :))

    --
    Malcolm
    Malcolm, Aug 7, 2003
  11. In article <3f327ccd$0$10769$>,
    "Shiperton Henethe" <> wrote:

    > Nikons may prove nearly as good

    Nope. Not a chance.
    Simon Gardner, Aug 7, 2003
  12. On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:37:29 +0100, "James"
    <> wrote:

    >The best binocular shop I know is Kay Optical in Morden. I got my Swaroski
    >10x40 for £800 a few weeks ago. They are great and the guy doesn't bullshit
    >me like they do at In focus
    >
    >James

    Look thru a pair of Swarovski binocs and you will never want to be
    restricted to your own eyeballs again. :)

    P.S.: I don't work for Swarovski.
    Blair Maynard, Aug 7, 2003
  13. Shiperton Henethe

    Paul Guest

    > "Osprey" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike Humberston" <> wrote in message

    > > Wetland

    > > 4433.

    > > roving

    > > range

    > > central
    > > >
    > > > The only problem with In Focus is that they don't stock Leica

    binoculars
    > > and
    > > > anyone thinking of buying good quality bins. should be including Leica

    > on
    > > their
    > > > comparison list.

    > > Not surprised! Over rated to be sure and at least comparable Bino's are
    > > cheaper.

    > But Swaros are more expensive.
    > Nikons may prove nearly as good
    > but heavier than both. Weight
    > though not physical size is
    > terribly important to me
    > (as I shall be doing extreme
    > hillwalking with them).
    >
    > Ship

    At a bit of a tangent.

    What is extreme hillwalking??

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 7, 2003
  14. Shiperton Henethe

    James Guest

    "Blair Maynard" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:37:29 +0100, "James"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >The best binocular shop I know is Kay Optical in Morden. I got my

    Swaroski
    > >10x40 for £800 a few weeks ago. They are great and the guy doesn't

    bullshit
    > >me like they do at In focus
    > >
    > >James

    > Look thru a pair of Swarovski binocs and you will never want to be
    > restricted to your own eyeballs again. :)
    >
    > P.S.: I don't work for Swarovski.

    I know what you mean
    James, Aug 7, 2003
  15. > >> If you can manage it, the Bird Fair at Rutland Water is coming up
    > >> (15-17th August) A great day out and you can compare every single
    > >> model under field conditions. Warning - don't buy there though. Do
    > >> what everyone else does and go home and order from either Ace Optics
    > >> or Warehouse Express - much cheaper and first class service.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.birdfair.org.uk/

    > >Not abad plan but..
    > >Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > >Why cant people design website properly??
    > >Where the heck is this fair?
    > >Where is Rutland Water ?
    > >And how would I get there by public transport?
    > >*Which* Oakham is it near.
    > >Streetmap.co.uk has about 19!
    > >

    > If you go back to Streetmap, you'll find there is just one Rutland
    > Water!
    >
    > And what on earth's wrong with the website? If you go back to it and
    > look in the left hand column of the home page you will see a very
    > obvious link labelled "Travel & accommodation" which contains everything
    > to answer your questions. Indeed, when you click on it, the very first
    > item that appears is "Where is Rutland Water", and that is followed by
    > links to "By car or coach" and "By Train".

    Okay I confess I entirely missed the critical button.
    Dimwit!! (Too many hours staring at a computer does yr head in.)

    HOWEVER, in my defence I still find the site deeply frustrating.
    It just doesn't deliver the basics fast enough.
    *Where the heck is the Fair held?
    *What time does it open?
    *And close?
    *How far is it from that Railway station,
    should the buses fail etc?
    *What a rubbish map of the UK!
    And the site and exhibitor plan unnecessarily
    hard to read...

    So travelling from London I could theoretically
    just about do a day trip by public transport.

    I'll give it some serious thought.

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe, Aug 7, 2003
  16. Shiperton Henethe

    Paul Guest

    > At a bit of a tangent.
    > >
    > > What is extreme hillwalking??
    > >

    > Walking in a manner which (for my body) is
    > extreme that involves hills...
    >
    > Several thousand foot mountains all day
    > expeditions. Central Scotland.
    > Peregrine. Eagles. Merlins.
    > Getting the picture?

    Okay, I wasn't sure if it was some fangled new sport. Since these days the
    'extreme' tag seems to mean throwing yourself out of a plane or being on a
    skateboard!

    I carried my scope while trekking through the Pyrynees in May. There where
    great moments when I was so glad I'd brought it along (Lammergeier, Rock
    thrush) and others (after about 15 miles) when I could have thrown it into
    the nearest river or over a cliff.

    When I'm next trekking it'll be a tough call as to whether my scope comes
    with me.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 7, 2003
  17. Shiperton Henethe

    Malcolm Guest

    In article <3f32c098$0$10772$>, Shiperton
    Henethe <> writes

    >> >Not abad plan but..
    >> >Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >> >Why cant people design website properly??
    >> >Where the heck is this fair?
    >> >Where is Rutland Water ?
    >> >And how would I get there by public transport?
    >> >*Which* Oakham is it near.
    >> >Streetmap.co.uk has about 19!
    >> >

    >> If you go back to Streetmap, you'll find there is just one Rutland
    >> Water!
    >>
    >> And what on earth's wrong with the website? If you go back to it and
    >> look in the left hand column of the home page you will see a very
    >> obvious link labelled "Travel & accommodation" which contains everything
    >> to answer your questions. Indeed, when you click on it, the very first
    >> item that appears is "Where is Rutland Water", and that is followed by
    >> links to "By car or coach" and "By Train".

    >Okay I confess I entirely missed the critical button.
    >Dimwit!! (Too many hours staring at a computer does yr head in.)

    Which explains a lot about all of us!

    >HOWEVER, in my defence I still find the site deeply frustrating.
    >It just doesn't deliver the basics fast enough.
    >*Where the heck is the Fair held?
    >*What time does it open?
    >*And close?
    >*How far is it from that Railway station,
    > should the buses fail etc?
    >*What a rubbish map of the UK!
    >And the site and exhibitor plan unnecessarily
    >hard to read...
    >
    >So travelling from London I could theoretically
    >just about do a day trip by public transport.
    >
    >I'll give it some serious thought.

    I think you might find it worth it.

    --
    Malcolm
    Malcolm, Aug 7, 2003
  18. "Simon Gardner" <[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote in message
    > In article <3f327ccd$0$10769$>,
    > "Shiperton Henethe" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Nikons may prove nearly as good

    > Nope. Not a chance.

    Well,
    almost the only review site anyone has come up
    with so far would beg to differ...
    http://www.betterviewdesired.com

    Rather a slow focus mechanism lets them down
    apparently...!

    I presume you've tried the ultra expensive
    Nikons? (is it "EHG", "High Grade", "HG/DCF"
    I cant work it out but they seem even pricier
    than the Swaros [at 10x32]...

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe, Aug 7, 2003
  19. In article <3f32c94a$0$10783$>,
    "Shiperton Henethe" <> wrote:

    > "Simon Gardner" <[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote in message
    > > In article <3f327ccd$0$10769$>,
    > > "Shiperton Henethe" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Nikons may prove nearly as good

    > > Nope. Not a chance.
    > >

    > Well,
    > almost the only review site anyone has come up
    > with so far would beg to differ...
    > http://www.betterviewdesired.com
    >
    > Rather a slow focus mechanism lets them down
    > apparently...!
    >
    > I presume you've tried the ultra expensive
    > Nikons? (is it "EHG", "High Grade", "HG/DCF"
    > I cant work it out but they seem even pricier
    > than the Swaros [at 10x32]...

    I stand by what I said.
    Simon Gardner, Aug 8, 2003
  20. Shiperton Henethe

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    In message <z42yCJphHoM$>, Malcolm
    <> writes
    >And what on earth's wrong with the website?

    No alt text on images used for navigation, and Javascript used of
    navigation, for a start. It's a mess.

    Speaking of websites...

    (FU set)
    --
    Andy Mabbett
    USA imprisons children without trial, at Guantanamo Bay:
    Andy Mabbett, Aug 8, 2003