Knoppix

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Waylon Kenning, Nov 20, 2004.

  1. It seems like Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:08:19 -0500 was when Baldman
    <nhowe@*nospam*sanfa.co.nz> said Blah blah blah...

    >...is it wrong to want to hug a CD?

    Possibly:) I'll admit to me my K12LTSP CDs have been worth their
    weight in gold me for me.

    Now I have to download K12LTSP based around Fedora Core 3! Another 4
    ISOs on dialup, here I come!
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Baldman said the following on 21/11/2004 11:08:
    > Hells teeth - I spent the few bucks I needed to at DSE, and bought
    > myself a shiny new Knoppix CD.
    >
    > I LOVE IT!
    >
    > All my browsing and reading are now faster and better looking, and
    > windows has been reduced to nought but a game playing platform.
    >
    > I'm bloody impressed, sound, graphics, everything just works - why have
    > I not tried this before?
    >
    > ...is it wrong to want to hug a CD?

    Welcome to the dark side :cool:
    I am looking at the same excersise myself next week.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Waylon Kenning

    Jax Guest

    > Possibly:) I'll admit to me my K12LTSP CDs have been worth their
    > weight in gold me for me.
    >
    > Now I have to download K12LTSP based around Fedora Core 3! Another 4
    > ISOs on dialup, here I come!

    Are these out now??
    Where is the link?
    Jax, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Waylon Kenning

    Jax Guest

    Jax wrote:

    >> Possibly:) I'll admit to me my K12LTSP CDs have been worth their
    >> weight in gold me for me.
    >>
    >> Now I have to download K12LTSP based around Fedora Core 3! Another 4
    >> ISOs on dialup, here I come!

    > Are these out now??
    > Where is the link?

    I mean I thought it was based on Fedora core 2

    K12 Terminal Server Project K12LTSP 4.1.0 released< = true; K12LTSP
    4.1.0 is finally available for your downloading pleasure.

    This release was a long time in coming, 144 days since the last release.
    K12LTSP 4.1.0 is the combination of Fedora Core 2 and LTSP 4.1. The hard
    work of these two projects shows in this release, this is the fastest,
    most refined release of K12LTSP to date. We owe the Fedora and LTSP
    projects a big thank-you.

    Fedora Core 2 release notes:
    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/

    LTSP 4.1 release notes:
    http://www.k12ltsp.org/download.html
    will be updated as the mirrors sync up.
    Jax, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Waylon Kenning

    steve Guest

    Baldman wrote:

    > Hells teeth - I spent the few bucks I needed to at DSE, and bought
    > myself a shiny new Knoppix CD.
    >
    > I LOVE IT!
    >
    > All my browsing and reading are now faster and better looking, and
    > windows has been reduced to nought but a game playing platform.
    >
    > I'm bloody impressed, sound, graphics, everything just works - why have
    > I not tried this before?
    >
    > ...is it wrong to want to hug a CD?

    Have you installed Knoppix to a partition on your hard drive yet? It's even
    better that way.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    steve, Nov 20, 2004
  6. Waylon Kenning

    Mark Guest

    Knoppix absolutely rocks!

    -**-
    www.myoddjobs.co.nz :- Job auction website
    -**-
    Replace the Z with the e to reply

    Baldman, Nov 20, 2004
  8. It seems like Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:30:10 GMT was when Jax
    <jax@127.0.0.1> said Blah blah blah...

    >> Now I have to download K12LTSP based around Fedora Core 3! Another 4
    >> ISOs on dialup, here I come!

    >Are these out now??
    >Where is the link?

    ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/4.2.0alpha/

    Based around FC3, but it's an alpha build, don't use it anywhere close
    to production.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 20, 2004
  9. Waylon Kenning

    S Roby Guest

    In article <1100945255.752317@ftpsrv1>, Baldman <nhowe@*nospam*sanfa.co.nz> wrote:
    >Hells teeth - I spent the few bucks I needed to at DSE, and bought
    >myself a shiny new Knoppix CD.

    Its got uses for Win users as well.
    Great for data recovery of dead Win installs.
    Great for testing hardware. Used it to test a TV TUNER, didnt have to muck
    about with drivers & software, the TVTuner 'just worked' with knoppix.
    Used it to see if a Win sound card issue was software or hardware
    S Roby, Nov 21, 2004
  10. Waylon Kenning

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:51:53 +0000, S Roby wrote:

    > In article <1100945255.752317@ftpsrv1>, Baldman <nhowe@*nospam*sanfa.co.nz> wrote:
    >>Hells teeth - I spent the few bucks I needed to at DSE, and bought
    >>myself a shiny new Knoppix CD.
    >>

    > Its got uses for Win users as well.
    > Great for data recovery of dead Win installs.
    > Great for testing hardware. Used it to test a TV TUNER, didnt have to muck
    > about with drivers & software, the TVTuner 'just worked' with knoppix.
    > Used it to see if a Win sound card issue was software or hardware

    Ms Penguin is rather flattered, she was often accused of waddling around
    way behind the crowd. Looks like she is floating everyones boat.
    Gordon, Nov 21, 2004
  11. Waylon Kenning

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:34:51 -0500, Baldman wrote:

    > I even have my wife asking about it, she's currently using a manky old
    > celeron 400 with Win2k, and it's running like a dog - so might pop the
    > CD in and see if she likes it, she doesn't appear to have an instant
    > hate for the look of it on my PC, and all she does is read pregnancy
    > message boards and recipe sites

    Just remember, a HD install goes so much faster. I have an "old" 350
    machine which goes just fine on the web when it gets there. Bang for the
    buck, good once there. ;-)
    Gordon, Nov 21, 2004
  12. Waylon Kenning

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:31:33 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > Now I have to download K12LTSP based around Fedora Core 3! Another 4
    > ISOs on dialup, here I come!

    Good grief, this in rather like Kiwi music, once there was nothing now,
    there is more good stuff than you can shake a stick at.

    Somehow, the Swiss army knife no longer has as many cutting edges.
    Gordon, Nov 21, 2004
  13. Waylon Kenning

    Baldman Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Baldman wrote:
    >

    >>Hells teeth - I spent the few bucks I needed to at DSE, and bought
    >>myself a shiny new Knoppix CD.
    >>
    >>I LOVE IT!
    >>
    >>All my browsing and reading are now faster and better looking, and
    >>windows has been reduced to nought but a game playing platform.
    >>
    >>I'm bloody impressed, sound, graphics, everything just works - why have
    >>I not tried this before?
    >>
    >>...is it wrong to want to hug a CD?

    > Have you installed Knoppix to a partition on your hard drive yet? It's even
    > better that way.

    Not yet... still in play mode at the moment - but all things going well,
    that might just happen one day soon...

    I even have my wife asking about it, she's currently using a manky old
    celeron 400 with Win2k, and it's running like a dog - so might pop the
    CD in and see if she likes it, she doesn't appear to have an instant
    hate for the look of it on my PC, and all she does is read pregnancy
    message boards and recipe sites (which explains why she's moody, and I'M
    the one getting fat!)

    And even better, I can play with substantially reduced fear of breaking
    stuff... ahhhh... the joy!
    Baldman, Nov 21, 2004
  14. Waylon Kenning

    John S. Guest

    Baldman <nhowe@*nospam*sanfa.co.nz> wrote:

    >Hells teeth - I spent the few bucks I needed to at DSE, and bought
    >myself a shiny new Knoppix CD.
    >
    >I LOVE IT!
    >
    >All my browsing and reading are now faster and better looking, and
    >windows has been reduced to nought but a game playing platform.
    >
    >I'm bloody impressed, sound, graphics, everything just works - why have
    >I not tried this before?
    >
    >...is it wrong to want to hug a CD?

    Just wondering, what version of Knoppix did you get, and does
    your printer work with it?

    I bought the Knoppix 3.4 CD from Dick Smith and couldn't print
    from it (tried 3 different printers) - tried everything I could
    think of.

    I recently bought the "Mandrake 10" CDs but haven't been brave
    enough to try them yet.

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S., Nov 21, 2004
  15. On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:51:53 GMT, S Roby wrote:

    > In article <1100945255.752317@ftpsrv1>, Baldman <nhowe@*nospam*sanfa.co.nz> wrote:
    >>Hells teeth - I spent the few bucks I needed to at DSE, and bought
    >>myself a shiny new Knoppix CD.
    >>

    > Its got uses for Win users as well.
    > Great for data recovery of dead Win installs.
    > Great for testing hardware. Used it to test a TV TUNER, didnt have to muck
    > about with drivers & software, the TVTuner 'just worked' with knoppix.
    > Used it to see if a Win sound card issue was software or hardware

    Yes, that is my main use for Knoppix too. Worked a charm to grab ome data
    off dodgy hard drive that left windows unable to be used (even via recovery
    console, safe mode etc).

    I've used it jut to make sure the hardware overall is okay (I'd use the
    great Ultimate Boot CD to run HD dignostics etc). Often used to quikly get
    the Ethernet Address of the NIC for registration on a network.

    Also good for doing demos of Linux and turning locked down windows boxes
    into useful machines ;-)
    wogers nemesis, Nov 21, 2004