    it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed to be
    installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as good?
    I have tried debian and others before, but have always been disappointed.

    David, Dec 16, 2004

  2. David

    Chris Hope Guest

    David wrote:

    > Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
    > well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
    > to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
    > good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
    > disappointed.

    As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:

    mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
    kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
    gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix

    Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
    default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.

    I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
    early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but I
    won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as spamming
    (it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).

    Chris Hope, Dec 16, 2004

  3. David

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope, Dec 16, 2004
  4. David

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    David wrote:
    > Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how well
    > it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed to be
    > installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as good?
    > I have tried debian and others before, but have always been disappointed.

    Xandros has good hardware detection
    Knoppix is assembled from debian packages, uses apt etc, have a look in
    /etc/apt/sources.list to figure out what Klaus currently uses as the
    base distro.
    Knoppix also has an installer

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 16, 2004
  5. David

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 16, 2004
  6. David

    David Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >

    >>Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
    >>well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
    >>to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
    >>good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
    >>disappointed.

    > As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
    >
    > mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
    > kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
    > gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix
    >
    > Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
    > default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.
    >
    > I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
    > early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but I
    > won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as spamming
    > (it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).

    Sorry, I forgot to mention I was wanting a HD installed distro that
    worked as well as knoppix, rather than a live cd :D

    David, Dec 16, 2004
  7. David

    David Guest

    David, Dec 16, 2004
  8. David wrote:
    >>> Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
    >>> well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
    >>> to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
    >>> good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
    >>> disappointed.

    >> As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
    >> mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
    >> kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
    >> gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix

    > Sorry, I forgot to mention I was wanting a HD installed distro that
    > worked as well as knoppix, rather than a live cd :D

    Knoppix HDinstall or Xandros are all good.

    the last version of Mandrake I tried(9 I think) was pretty good, and
    they usually only get better.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 16, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 16, 2004
  10. David

    Chris Hope Guest

    David wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> David wrote:
    >>

    >>>Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
    >>>well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
    >>>to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look
    >>>as good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
    >>>disappointed.

    >> As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
    >>
    >> mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
    >> kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
    >> gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix
    >>
    >> Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
    >> default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.
    >>
    >> I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
    >> early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but
    >> I won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as
    >> spamming (it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).
    >>

    > Sorry, I forgot to mention I was wanting a HD installed distro that
    > worked as well as knoppix, rather than a live cd :D

    You can install Mepis to the HD after playing around with it (I've done
    it myself to test it out). I'm assuming you can do the same with
    Gnoppix and Kanotix as well.

    The other big popular distros are Mandrake, SUSE, Fedora, Gentoo, Ubuntu
    and Xandros. I think they've all got screenshots on their sites and you
    can get a fair idea of the "prettiness" of the system from those,
    although I'm not sure how much info they have about hardware detection
    - you can get the appropriate links to their sites from distrowatch as
    well.

    As far as I am aware Knoppix has the best hardware detection, although
    the latest versions of SUSE (9.2) and Mandrake (10.1) are supposed to
    be pretty good as well.

    I've used Ubuntu on my iBook (although I recently wiped that with an
    install of Yellow Dog to try it out) and it seemed like a pretty nice
    distro. It's also based on debian and uses the Gnome desktop. There's a
    package management front end called synaptic which lets you select new
    stuff to install and update.

    Chris Hope, Dec 16, 2004
  11. David

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope, Dec 16, 2004
  12. David

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > David wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Hope wrote:

    >>> As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
    >>>
    >>> mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
    >>> kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
    >>> gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix
    >>>
    >>> Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
    >>> default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.
    >>>
    >>> I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
    >>> early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but
    >>> I won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as
    >>> spamming (it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).
    >>>

    >> Sorry, I forgot to mention I was wanting a HD installed distro that
    >> worked as well as knoppix, rather than a live cd :D

    > You can install Mepis to the HD after playing around with it (I've
    > done it myself to test it out). I'm assuming you can do the same with
    > Gnoppix and Kanotix as well.
    >
    > The other big popular distros are Mandrake, SUSE, Fedora, Gentoo,
    > Ubuntu and Xandros. I think they've all got screenshots on their sites
    > and you can get a fair idea of the "prettiness" of the system from
    > those, although I'm not sure how much info they have about hardware
    > detection - you can get the appropriate links to their sites from
    > distrowatch as well.
    >
    > As far as I am aware Knoppix has the best hardware detection, although
    > the latest versions of SUSE (9.2) and Mandrake (10.1) are supposed to
    > be pretty good as well.
    >
    > I've used Ubuntu on my iBook (although I recently wiped that with an
    > install of Yellow Dog to try it out) and it seemed like a pretty nice
    > distro. It's also based on debian and uses the Gnome desktop. There's
    > a package management front end called synaptic which lets you select
    > new stuff to install and update.

    Oh and I forgot to mention to you can install Knoppix to your HDD as
    well. And because it's Debian based you get APT package management too.
    I'm not sure if the synaptic front end comes with Knoppix or not but
    I'm sure it would be easy enough to install. But installing on debian
    based distros is a breeze from the command line anyway -> "apt-get
    install packagename"

    Chris Hope, Dec 16, 2004
  13. David

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope, Dec 16, 2004
  14. Chris Hope said the following on 17/12/2004 10:37 a.m.:
    > David wrote:
    >

    >>Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
    >>well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
    >>to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
    >>good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
    >>disappointed.

    > As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
    >
    > mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
    > kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
    > gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix
    >
    > Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
    > default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.
    >
    > I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
    > early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but I
    > won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as spamming
    > (it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).

    Post away with the Url, the net nazis can hang themselves. So long as
    the site is informative as much as commercial and its a simple single
    post being informative i see no problem.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 16, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 16, 2004
  16. David

    David Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Chris Hope said the following on 17/12/2004 10:37 a.m.:
    >
    >> David wrote:
    >>

    >>> Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
    >>> well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
    >>> to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
    >>> good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
    >>> disappointed.

    >> As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
    >>
    >> mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
    >> kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
    >> gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix
    >>
    >> Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
    >> default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.
    >>
    >> I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
    >> early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but I
    >> won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as spamming
    >> (it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).
    >>

    > Post away with the Url, the net nazis can hang themselves. So long as
    > the site is informative as much as commercial and its a simple single
    > post being informative i see no problem.

    Mr microsoft post links to MS pages all the time.

    David, Dec 17, 2004
  17. David

    David Guest

    David, Dec 17, 2004
  18. David

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:37:39 +1300, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    >David wrote:
    >
    >> Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
    >> well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
    >> to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
    >> good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
    >> disappointed.

    >As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
    >
    >mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
    >kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
    >gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix
    >
    >Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
    >default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.
    >
    >I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
    >early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but I
    >won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as spamming
    >(it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).

    December PC User mag has Mandrake Move CD.

    GraB, Dec 17, 2004
  19. David

    GraB, Dec 17, 2004
  20. David

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >

    >>David wrote:

    >>>Sorry, I forgot to mention I was wanting a HD installed distro that
    >>>worked as well as knoppix, rather than a live cd :D

    >>You can install Mepis to the HD after playing around with it (I've
    >>done it myself to test it out). I'm assuming you can do the same with
    >>Gnoppix and Kanotix as well.
    >>
    >>The other big popular distros are Mandrake, SUSE, Fedora, Gentoo,
    >>Ubuntu and Xandros. I think they've all got screenshots on their sites
    >>and you can get a fair idea of the "prettiness" of the system from
    >>those, although I'm not sure how much info they have about hardware
    >>detection - you can get the appropriate links to their sites from
    >>distrowatch as well.
    >>
    >>As far as I am aware Knoppix has the best hardware detection, although
    >>the latest versions of SUSE (9.2) and Mandrake (10.1) are supposed to
    >>be pretty good as well.
    >>
    >>I've used Ubuntu on my iBook (although I recently wiped that with an
    >>install of Yellow Dog to try it out) and it seemed like a pretty nice
    >>distro. It's also based on debian and uses the Gnome desktop. There's
    >>a package management front end called synaptic which lets you select
    >>new stuff to install and update.

    > Oh and I forgot to mention to you can install Knoppix to your HDD as
    > well. And because it's Debian based you get APT package management too.
    > I'm not sure if the synaptic front end comes with Knoppix or not but
    > I'm sure it would be easy enough to install. But installing on debian
    > based distros is a breeze from the command line anyway -> "apt-get
    > install packagename"

    You can also use aptitude which displays all the packages available,
    search with </> select with <+> and install with <g> or
    apt-get install synaptic

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 18, 2004