Knoppix "Closed due to Softare Patents"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    This looks like a protest in advance of an imminent decision in the EU
    regarding software patents.

    Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.

    This is a huge issue for everyone right now. There are a LOT of really
    stupid patents out there....and moves are afoot to make these
    enforceable.....which will badly effect everyone, everywhere.

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

    Closed because of "Software-Patents"

    In the next few days, the European Parliament will decide about the
    legalisation and adoption of so-called "software patents" in Europe,
    which are already used by large companies in other countries to put
    competitors out of business. This can lead to the termination of many
    software projects such as KNOPPIX, at least within Europe, because the
    holders of the over 30,000 already granted "software patents" (currently
    without a legal foundation) can claim exclusive rights and collect
    license fees for trivial things like "progress bars", "mouseclicks on
    online order forms", "scrolling within a window" and similar. That way,
    software developers will have to pay the "software-patentholders" for
    using these features, even in their own, completely self-developed
    applications, which can completely stall the development of innovative
    software for small and medium companies. Apart from this, the expense
    for patent inquiries and legal assistence is high, for even trying to
    find out if the self-developed software is possibly violating
    "software-patents", if you want to continue to market your software.
    Contrary to real patents, "software-patents" are, in the current draft,
    monopolization of business ideas and methods, even without any tangible
    technical implementation.

    More about the current major problem at http://swpat.ffii.org/index.en.html
    steve, Aug 29, 2003

  2. steve

    Redbaiter Guest

    Re: Withers Gets Twisted Knickers Over Nix

    steve says...
    > This looks like a protest in advance of an imminent decision in the EU
    > regarding software patents.
    >
    > Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.
    >
    > This is a huge issue for everyone right now. There are a LOT of really
    > stupid patents out there....and moves are afoot to make these
    > enforceable.....which will badly effect everyone, everywhere.
    >
    > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
    >
    > Closed because of "Software-Patents"

    How unbearably tragic...

    --
    Redbaiter
    In the leftist's lexicon, the lowest of the low
    Redbaiter, Aug 29, 2003

  3. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: Withers Gets Twisted Knickers Over Nix

    "Redbaiter" wrote
    > How unbearably tragic...

    Are you being serious, or taking the piss...
    My opinion is yeah, it sucks, but hey, it is Linux, isnt this the community
    that is meant to make a way to do everything, where there is a need, it will
    be filled... what one distro cant do, one soon will, and also all that
    freedom crap?
    T.N.O., Aug 29, 2003
  4. steve

    Gib Bogle Guest

    steve wrote:

    > This looks like a protest in advance of an imminent decision in the EU
    > regarding software patents.
    >
    > Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.
    >
    > This is a huge issue for everyone right now. There are a LOT of really
    > stupid patents out there....and moves are afoot to make these
    > enforceable.....which will badly effect everyone, everywhere.
    >
    > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
    >
    > Closed because of "Software-Patents"
    >
    > In the next few days, the European Parliament will decide about the
    > legalisation and adoption of so-called "software patents" in Europe,
    > which are already used by large companies in other countries to put
    > competitors out of business. This can lead to the termination of many
    > software projects such as KNOPPIX, at least within Europe, because the
    > holders of the over 30,000 already granted "software patents" (currently
    > without a legal foundation) can claim exclusive rights and collect
    > license fees for trivial things like "progress bars", "mouseclicks on
    > online order forms", "scrolling within a window" and similar. That way,
    > software developers will have to pay the "software-patentholders" for
    > using these features, even in their own, completely self-developed
    > applications, which can completely stall the development of innovative
    > software for small and medium companies. Apart from this, the expense
    > for patent inquiries and legal assistence is high, for even trying to
    > find out if the self-developed software is possibly violating
    > "software-patents", if you want to continue to market your software.
    > Contrary to real patents, "software-patents" are, in the current draft,
    > monopolization of business ideas and methods, even without any tangible
    > technical implementation.
    >
    > More about the current major problem at http://swpat.ffii.org/index.en.html

    It is hard to believe that the Europeans will go along with this.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Aug 29, 2003
  5. steve

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:43:34 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Redbaiter" wrote
    >> How unbearably tragic...

    > Are you being serious, or taking the piss...
    > My opinion is yeah, it sucks, but hey, it is Linux, isnt this the community
    > that is meant to make a way to do everything, where there is a need, it will
    > be filled... what one distro cant do, one soon will, and also all that
    > freedom crap?

    Right you are, dude.

    Nothing to stop people from sticking up Knoppix forks on servers not
    residing in countries that don't enforce these stupid patents.
    Evil Bastard, Aug 29, 2003
  6. Re: Withers Gets Twisted Knickers Over Nix

    "Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:43:34 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    > > "Redbaiter" wrote
    > >> How unbearably tragic...

    > > Are you being serious, or taking the piss...
    > > My opinion is yeah, it sucks, but hey, it is Linux, isnt this the

    community
    > > that is meant to make a way to do everything, where there is a need, it

    will
    > > be filled... what one distro cant do, one soon will, and also all that
    > > freedom crap?

    > Right you are, dude.
    >
    > Nothing to stop people from sticking up Knoppix forks on servers not
    > residing in countries that don't enforce these stupid patents.

    Its just a protest closure to draw attention to the issue of software
    patents.
    How typical off Redbaiter to miss the issue just to play the man.
    Howard Johnson, Aug 29, 2003
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "Redbaiter" wrote
    >
    >>How unbearably tragic...

    > Are you being serious, or taking the piss...

    It's just Redbaitor.

    He simulataneously (and incoherrently) argues in support of BOTH:

    - personal liberty

    - whoever has their jackboot on your face at the mo'.

    Think of him as an "authoritarian anarcho-libertarian fascist"..with a
    dash of ignorant pig added for 'flavour'.
    steve, Aug 29, 2003
  8. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:26:27 +1200, steve wrote:

    > This looks like a protest in advance of an imminent decision in the EU
    > regarding software patents.
    >
    > Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.
    >
    > This is a huge issue for everyone right now. There are a LOT of really
    > stupid patents out there....and moves are afoot to make these
    > enforceable.....which will badly effect everyone, everywhere.
    >
    > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
    >
    > Closed because of "Software-Patents"

    My Father when he was alive once commented that the then NZ Government was
    full of lawyers and that they would in effect feather their own nest.

    To date, this era is not over. Bugger! I await the day it is.

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, not the future yes?
    Gordon, Aug 29, 2003
  9. steve

    Gordon Guest

    Re: Withers Gets Twisted Knickers Over Nix

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:43:34 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Redbaiter" wrote
    >> How unbearably tragic...

    > Are you being serious, or taking the piss...

    Rethorical question.

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.
    Gordon, Aug 29, 2003
  10. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:46:59 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Nothing to stop people from sticking up Knoppix forks on servers not
    > residing in countries that don't enforce these stupid patents.

    Until they do. Get into the GLOBAL world MATE!

    Gordon, Aug 29, 2003
  11. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:45:19 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:

    [snip]

    > It is hard to believe that the Europeans will go along with this.

    Let Time prove this to be so. Some encouragement by us would help.

    Gordon, Aug 29, 2003
  12. steve

    back again Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > This looks like a protest in advance of an imminent decision in the EU
    > regarding software patents.
    >
    > Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.
    >
    > This is a huge issue for everyone right now. There are a LOT of really
    > stupid patents out there....and moves are afoot to make these
    > enforceable.....which will badly effect everyone, everywhere.
    >
    > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
    >
    > Closed because of "Software-Patents"
    >
    > In the next few days, the European Parliament will decide about the
    > legalisation and adoption of so-called "software patents" in Europe,
    > which are already used by large companies in other countries to put
    > competitors out of business. This can lead to the termination of many
    > software projects such as KNOPPIX, at least within Europe, because the
    > holders of the over 30,000 already granted "software patents"
    > (currently without a legal foundation) can claim exclusive rights and
    > collect license fees for trivial things like "progress bars",
    > "mouseclicks on online order forms", "scrolling within a window" and
    > similar.

    I wonder if I can patent smiles, hand waving, handshakes, and obscene
    words. Sounds just a sensible to me.
    back again, Aug 29, 2003
  13. steve

    Redbaiter Guest

    Gordon says...
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:26:27 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    > > This looks like a protest in advance of an imminent decision in the EU
    > > regarding software patents.
    > >
    > > Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.
    > >
    > > This is a huge issue for everyone right now. There are a LOT of really
    > > stupid patents out there....and moves are afoot to make these
    > > enforceable.....which will badly effect everyone, everywhere.
    > >
    > > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
    > >
    > > Closed because of "Software-Patents"
    > >

    > My Father when he was alive once commented that the then NZ Government was
    > full of lawyers and that they would in effect feather their own nest.
    >
    > To date, this era is not over. Bugger! I await the day it is.

    Gee, amazing political insight your father.. what's the saying
    again, about apples and trees?

    Bet he was proud of you Gordon....

    Redbaiter, Aug 29, 2003
  14. steve

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Possible Slashdot Censorship

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:26:27 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.

    <snip>

    I posted the story to Slashdot, but it was rejected in record time.

    Makes me wonder if the /. editors are paranoid about running with anything
    that could increase the fear in the free community.
    Evil Bastard, Aug 29, 2003
  15. steve

    steve Guest

    Re: Possible Slashdot Censorship

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:26:27 +1200, steve wrote:
    >

    >>Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.

    > <snip>
    >
    > I posted the story to Slashdot, but it was rejected in record time.
    >
    > Makes me wonder if the /. editors are paranoid about running with anything
    > that could increase the fear in the free community.

    Any chance it was posted by someone else earlier?
    steve, Aug 29, 2003
  16. Re: Possible Slashdot Censorship

    In article <QJD3b.62$>, steve <> wrote:
    >Evil Bastard wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >Any chance it was posted by someone else earlier?

    Since when do the /. editors care about that? :p

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
    Matthew Poole, Aug 29, 2003
  17. steve

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:59:44 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Evil Bastard wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:26:27 +1200, steve wrote:
    >>

    >>>Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> I posted the story to Slashdot, but it was rejected in record time.
    >>
    >> Makes me wonder if the /. editors are paranoid about running with anything
    >> that could increase the fear in the free community.
    >>

    > Any chance it was posted by someone else earlier?

    It hadn't appeared.

    But then again, /. often sit on the same story for a while.
    With a lot of their by-lines, they say 'we have received hundreds of
    submissions about...'
    Evil Bastard, Aug 29, 2003
  18. Re: Withers Gets Twisted Knickers Over Nix

    "Redbaiter" <don'> wrote in message
    > steve says...
    > > This looks like a protest in advance of an imminent decision in the EU
    > > regarding software patents.
    > >
    > > Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.
    > >
    > > This is a huge issue for everyone right now. There are a LOT of really
    > > stupid patents out there....and moves are afoot to make these
    > > enforceable.....which will badly effect everyone, everywhere.
    > >
    > > http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
    > >
    > > Closed because of "Software-Patents"
    > >

    > How unbearably tragic...

    Once again Ratty shows how little of the world he understands. What a fool.

    Philip
    Philip Crookes, Aug 29, 2003
  19. Re: Possible Slashdot Censorship

    >>> <snip>
    >>> I posted the story to Slashdot, but it was rejected in record time.
    >>> Makes me wonder if the /. editors are paranoid about running with anything
    >>> that could increase the fear in the free community.

    >> Any chance it was posted by someone else earlier?

    > It hadn't appeared.
    >
    > But then again, /. often sit on the same story for a while.
    > With a lot of their by-lines, they say 'we have received hundreds of
    > submissions about...'

    The too-slashdot crew don't care about anything except maintaining their
    spots on the silicon valley party list. If it has political overtones
    that really matter -- they will not touch it.

    Mark
    Mark Bondurant, Aug 29, 2003
  20. Re: Possible Slashdot Censorship

    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:26:27 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    > > Whatever, Klaus Knopper has closed down Knoppix.

    > <snip>
    >
    > I posted the story to Slashdot, but it was rejected in record time.
    >
    > Makes me wonder if the /. editors are paranoid about running with anything
    > that could increase the fear in the free community.

    They have run stories about EU software patents quite regularly.
    A protest notice on a project site isn't news.
    Howard Johnson, Aug 30, 2003