knoppix 3.4 out

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 4, 2004.

  1. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 4, 2004

  2. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Athura Guest

    Athura, May 4, 2004

  3. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > In case some of you missed it... Knoppix 3.4 is out, it's just been
    > posted on /. so good luck if you can get it.
    >
    > It is available via Bittorrent too...
    >
    > I followed this link
    > http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:69...hash=ea07c5d44f83e137578bfb4cc44aa2f2a4f086b3

    I've got 42% of it - so far - via Bit Torrent.

    There are about 600 seeders and 2,200 leechers at the mo'. Earlier, it
    was 45 seeders and 500 leechers....so the ratio is improving. :)
    steve, May 4, 2004
  4. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    GJ Guest

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 14:46:44 +1200, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > In case some of you missed it... Knoppix 3.4 is out, it's just been
    > posted on /. so good luck if you can get it.
    >
    > It is available via Bittorrent too...
    >
    > I followed this link
    > http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:69...hash=ea07c5d44f83e137578bfb4cc44aa2f2a4f086b3

    Just downloading from debian.co.nz. Holding strong at 243KB/s

    Even better is I just upgraded my Saturn Cable from 128K to the 2meg
    download speed (500k upload). Very nice. For around $65 per month I get a
    2Mb connection with 5Gb of traffic. I had a look and nothing out there
    seems to be comparable. [Waits for the great unwashed masses, geeks, to
    prove him wrong].

    GJ
    GJ, May 4, 2004
  5. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    GJ wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 May 2004 14:46:44 +1200, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> In case some of you missed it... Knoppix 3.4 is out, it's just been
    >> posted on /. so good luck if you can get it.
    >>
    >> It is available via Bittorrent too...
    >>
    >> I followed this link

    http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:69...hash=ea07c5d44f83e137578bfb4cc44aa2f2a4f086b3

    > Just downloading from debian.co.nz. Holding strong at 243KB/s
    >
    > Even better is I just upgraded my Saturn Cable from 128K to the 2meg
    > download speed (500k upload). Very nice. For around $65 per month I get a
    > 2Mb connection with 5Gb of traffic. I had a look and nothing out there
    > seems to be comparable. [Waits for the great unwashed masses, geeks, to
    > prove him wrong].
    >
    > GJ

    Sounds great to me, except for the data cap. 5Gb is (IMO) hardly anything.
    2Mb/s would be nice though.

    I'm currently maxing out my 256kb/s connection downloading it from the
    torrent. Should take about 6.5 hours to download all 700Mb.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, May 4, 2004
  6. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 4, 2004
  7. steve wrote:
    > I've got 42% of it - so far - via Bit Torrent.
    > There are about 600 seeders and 2,200 leechers at the mo'. Earlier, it
    > was 45 seeders and 500 leechers....so the ratio is improving. :)

    I left mine open all night, uploaded a total of 6GB.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 4, 2004
  8. GJ wrote:
    > I had a look and nothing out there
    > seems to be comparable. [Waits for the great unwashed masses, geeks, to
    > prove him wrong].

    keep waiting. :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 4, 2004
  9. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, May 4, 2004
  10. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    GJ Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > GJ wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 04 May 2004 14:46:44 +1200, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>

    >>>In case some of you missed it... Knoppix 3.4 is out, it's just been
    >>>posted on /. so good luck if you can get it.
    >>>
    >>>It is available via Bittorrent too...
    >>>
    >>>I followed this link
    >>>

    > http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:69...hash=ea07c5d44f83e137578bfb4cc44aa2f2a4f086b3
    >
    >>Just downloading from debian.co.nz. Holding strong at 243KB/s
    >>
    >>Even better is I just upgraded my Saturn Cable from 128K to the 2meg
    >>download speed (500k upload). Very nice. For around $65 per month I get a
    >>2Mb connection with 5Gb of traffic. I had a look and nothing out there
    >>seems to be comparable. [Waits for the great unwashed masses, geeks, to
    >>prove him wrong].
    >>
    >>GJ

    > Sounds great to me, except for the data cap. 5Gb is (IMO) hardly anything.
    > 2Mb/s would be nice though.
    >
    > I'm currently maxing out my 256kb/s connection downloading it from the
    > torrent. Should take about 6.5 hours to download all 700Mb.
    >
    > Allistar.

    I had a look at my usage over the last year. For me the usage ranged
    from 1.2-2.2 Gb so I am comfortable for 5Gb for our use.

    GJ
    GJ, May 5, 2004
  11. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    GJ wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> GJ wrote:

    http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:69...hash=ea07c5d44f83e137578bfb4cc44aa2f2a4f086b3

    >>>Just downloading from debian.co.nz. Holding strong at 243KB/s
    >>>
    >>>Even better is I just upgraded my Saturn Cable from 128K to the 2meg
    >>>download speed (500k upload). Very nice. For around $65 per month I get a
    >>>2Mb connection with 5Gb of traffic. I had a look and nothing out there
    >>>seems to be comparable. [Waits for the great unwashed masses, geeks, to
    >>>prove him wrong].
    >>>
    >>>GJ

    >> Sounds great to me, except for the data cap. 5Gb is (IMO) hardly
    >> anything. 2Mb/s would be nice though.
    >>
    >> I'm currently maxing out my 256kb/s connection downloading it from the
    >> torrent. Should take about 6.5 hours to download all 700Mb.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > I had a look at my usage over the last year. For me the usage ranged
    > from 1.2-2.2 Gb so I am comfortable for 5Gb for our use.
    >
    > GJ

    Fair enough. As always YMMV. I have done a few < 1.5Gb months, but often it
    is >8Gb (mainly .iso downloads and remote development over X and/or VNC).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, May 5, 2004
  12. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    scoobs Guest

    Re: knoppix 3.4 out (i want a cd burnt please)

    <> wrote:

    > In case some of you missed it... Knoppix 3.4 is out

    <snip>
    > I followed this link
    > http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:69...hash=ea07c5d44f83e137578bfb4cc44aa2f2a4f086b3

    hey you guys, i dont have a fast link as i live
    rural (clevedon, auckland) but i would be willing
    to pay a fee, say $5 plus postage if one one you
    kind gents could burn a cd and courier to me i
    would be gratefull times a thousand.

    pleeeaasseee!!!

    John.
    City of Sails
    Auckland, New Zealand
    delete _removethis and _nospam2me from return
    address and place @NG in subject in order to reply
    plus get round that pesky junkmail filter....
    scuubydu_removethis@slingshot_nospam2me.co.nz
    scoobs, May 11, 2004
  13. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Peter Guest

    Peter, May 11, 2004
  14. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Max Barwell Guest

    Re: knoppix 3.4 out (i want a cd burnt please)

    > hey you guys, i dont have a fast link as i live
    > rural (clevedon, auckland) but i would be willing
    > to pay a fee, say $5 plus postage if one one you
    > kind gents could burn a cd and courier to me i
    > would be gratefull times a thousand.
    >
    > pleeeaasseee!!!

    i'll do it for nothing if you send me your address, also have some other
    distros if your interested, i have a fast connection, a source of dirt
    cheap cd's, and too much time on my hands ;)

    regards,

    -- Max
    Max Barwell, May 11, 2004