    Now, the filter "unread messages" or a new one can be changed to "not
    contain" Re: and "apply to THREAD" instead of "single message".
    That surely hides threads without a originating post.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jul 27, 2007

  2. wisdomkiller & pain

    Mike Easter Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > Found a nice feature of knode filters:
    > While killing googlegroupers via leafnode filterfile,
    > I always get a long list of "Re:" (non-GG replies to
    > GG Posters) which make a mess out of the threads.
    > Now, the filter "unread messages" or a new one can be changed to "not
    > contain" Re: and "apply to THREAD" instead of "single message".
    > That surely hides threads without a originating post.

    In the group news.software.readers where many discussions about the many
    different ways of filtering GGers occur, that strategy might be debated.

    Some people would like to filter eliminate every thread which was
    initiated by a GGer, and some would prefer to filter what the GGer said,
    but not what some other regular respondents had to say.

    Some people prefer to filter some GGers, but not all. There are also
    discussions of the likelihood that some regular poster might be
    temporarily using GG because of temporary restrictions on their normal
    posting connectivity.

    The fact that the subject is complicated and involves the filtering
    power of various newsagents is why it gets discussed in depth in n.s.r.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 27, 2007

  3. wisdomkiller & pain

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-27, wisdomkiller & pain <> wrote:
    > Found a nice feature of knode filters:
    > While killing googlegroupers via leafnode filterfile,
    > I always get a long list of "Re:" (non-GG replies to
    > GG Posters) which make a mess out of the threads.
    > Now, the filter "unread messages" or a new one can be changed to "not
    > contain" Re: and "apply to THREAD" instead of "single message".
    > That surely hides threads without a originating post.

    Leafnode could block replies to Google articles, if you add a filter to
    catch Google MIDs in the References header as well as in the Message-ID
    header. That would save bandwidth too. You could even fine-tune it so
    that you don't block the entire thread or sub-thread if the Google article
    was more than X steps back up the thread (although perhaps Leafnode's
    filter file isn't the easiest way to manage that particular finesse).

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 27, 2007