    without chapter stops but at least you can fast-forward them. Here you can
    jump through quickly but not fast forward between stops. Seems pretty
    pointless.

    Werz Mungle, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Werz Mungle

    Moviezzz Guest

    Yes, Polanski had them do this to the disc.

    Like the whole Lynch no chapter stops, it makes me wonder if directors realize
    that people are watching these films at home and may not always have the luxury
    of 2 or more hours to watch a film without interruption. May get a phone call,
    kids may be acting up, have something else to do in the middle so you have to
    stop it.
    But Lynch and Polanski can watch the film in their private home theatres and
    not worry about having to go to work the next day so that they can afford to
    buy DVDs.

    Moviezzz, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Werz Mungle

    B.T. Guest

    "Moviezzz" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, Polanski had them do this to the disc.
    >
    > Like the whole Lynch no chapter stops, it makes me wonder if directors

    realize
    > that people are watching these films at home and may not always have the

    luxury
    > of 2 or more hours to watch a film without interruption. May get a phone

    call,
    > kids may be acting up, have something else to do in the middle so you have

    > stop it.
    > But Lynch and Polanski can watch the film in their private home theatres

    and
    > not worry about having to go to work the next day so that they can afford

    > buy DVDs.

    That's crazy to inflict that on the consumer..for what real logical reason?

    B.T., Oct 17, 2003
  4. Werz Mungle

    Guest

    B.T. wrote:

    > "Moviezzz" <> wrote in message
    > > Yes, Polanski had them do this to the disc.
    > >
    > > Like the whole Lynch no chapter stops, it makes me wonder if directors

    > realize
    > > that people are watching these films at home and may not always have the

    > luxury
    > > of 2 or more hours to watch a film without interruption. May get a phone

    > call,
    > > kids may be acting up, have something else to do in the middle so you have

    > > stop it.
    > > But Lynch and Polanski can watch the film in their private home theatres

    > and
    > > not worry about having to go to work the next day so that they can afford

    > > buy DVDs.

    > That's crazy to inflict that on the consumer..for what real logical reason?

    Rip the movie to DVDR and you will have a copy that can be fast
    forwarded.

    , Oct 17, 2003
  5. Werz Mungle

    Werz Mungle Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > B.T. wrote:
    > >
    > > "Moviezzz" <> wrote in message
    > > > Yes, Polanski had them do this to the disc.
    > > >
    > > > Like the whole Lynch no chapter stops, it makes me wonder if directors

    > > realize
    > > > that people are watching these films at home and may not always have

    the
    > > luxury
    > > > of 2 or more hours to watch a film without interruption. May get a

    phone
    > > call,
    > > > kids may be acting up, have something else to do in the middle so you

    have
    > > > stop it.
    > > > But Lynch and Polanski can watch the film in their private home

    theatres
    > > and
    > > > not worry about having to go to work the next day so that they can

    afford
    > > > buy DVDs.

    > > That's crazy to inflict that on the consumer..for what real logical

    reason?

    > Rip the movie to DVDR and you will have a copy that can be fast
    > forwarded.

    It's dual-layered.

    Werz Mungle, Oct 17, 2003
  6. Werz Mungle

    Skid Guest

    "Werz Mungle" <> wrote in message
    > > Rip the movie to DVDR and you will have a copy that can be fast
    > > forwarded.

    > It's dual-layered.

    So? You could still make a copy on a single DVD-R or +R. If you leave off
    the extras, you don't even have to compress it.

    Skid, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Werz Mungle

    Werz Mungle Guest

    "Skid" <> wrote in message

    > "Werz Mungle" <> wrote in message
    > > > Rip the movie to DVDR and you will have a copy that can be fast
    > > > forwarded.

    > > It's dual-layered.

    > So? You could still make a copy on a single DVD-R or +R. If you leave off
    > the extras, you don't even have to compress it.

    The movie file alone is 6 or 7 Gigs in size.

    Werz Mungle, Oct 17, 2003
  8. Werz Mungle

    > "Skid" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Werz Mungle" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > It's dual-layered.

    > > So? You could still make a copy on a single DVD-R or +R. If you leave

    off
    > > the extras, you don't even have to compress it.

    > The movie file alone is 6 or 7 Gigs in size.

    Do you have a source for that? The film's running time is just 94 minutes,
    and the extras include eight short films and a couple of video interviews in
    addition to stills and a subtitle translation by Polanski.

    Even if the main title is as big as you say, it would fit on a single disc
    with compression.

    Skid, Oct 17, 2003
  9. Werz Mungle

    Werz Mungle Guest

    "Skid" <> wrote in message

    > "Werz Mungle" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Skid" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Werz Mungle" <> wrote in message

    > > > So? You could still make a copy on a single DVD-R or +R. If you leave

    > off
    > > > the extras, you don't even have to compress it.

    > > The movie file alone is 6 or 7 Gigs in size.

    > Do you have a source for that? The film's running time is just 94 minutes,
    > and the extras include eight short films and a couple of video interviews

    in
    > addition to stills and a subtitle translation by Polanski.
    >
    > Even if the main title is as big as you say, it would fit on a single disc
    > with compression.

    The feature is 5,992,232 KB according to DVD Decrypter. The short films are
    on a second disk.
    Sure you could compress it but that's pretty pointless if you want the DVD
    medium for the best picture quality it can provide.

    Werz Mungle, Oct 17, 2003
  10. Werz Mungle wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>B.T. wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Moviezzz" <> wrote in message

    >>>realize

    > the
    >
    >>>luxury

    > phone
    >
    >>>call,

    > have

    > theatres
    >
    >>>and

    > afford

    >>>That's crazy to inflict that on the consumer..for what real logical

    > reason?
    >
    >>Rip the movie to DVDR and you will have a copy that can be fast
    >>forwarded.

    > It's dual-layered.

    Or you could buy the R2 Anchor Bay version, which has the same extras,
    is approved by Polanski and can be fast-forwarded (although I don't know
    why this is such a big deal).

    Tallulah Blanket, Oct 18, 2003
  11. Werz Mungle

    > "Skid" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Werz Mungle" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Skid" <> wrote in message

    (snip)
    > > Even if the main title is as big as you say, it would fit on a single

    disc
    > > with compression.

    > The feature is 5,992,232 KB according to DVD Decrypter. The short films

    are
    > on a second disk.
    > Sure you could compress it but that's pretty pointless if you want the DVD
    > medium for the best picture quality it can provide.

    It's also pretty pointless to rip the disc just so you can fast forward,
    which is where this thread started. My point was that it can be done, not
    that it should be done.

    Skid, Oct 18, 2003