knackard laptop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by k9nick, May 30, 2007.

  1. k9nick

    k9nick Guest

    Hey all. Mrs's laptop shagged itself. couple of keyboard keys dont
    work, have been using a regular keyboard plugged into the usb. Mouse
    pad is unreliable. And now I think the hard drive is stuffed as it
    comes up with a message, "cannot find operating system". Went through
    the set up area prior to booting and checked all those settings. no
    sign of life on the hard drive light on the laptop. It's an old acer
    btw. 1.5 is is the processing speed so its a usable lappy. Anyway, I
    wondered what the thoughts might be on either binning it, or fixing it
    up on the cheap. Thought I might play around with it and install
    linux or something.

    Btw. Mrs went out and bought a new compaq. runs vista. geesh its
    slow. But there you are. ANyway. Your thoughts gents ? SHould I
    bin it and if I go about getting another hard drive for it, replace
    the keyboard, perhaps look at getting the keyboard fixed, not vital as
    Im happy with the keyboard in the usb, would it be worth it. Or
    should I play with the hardware bits and pieces to see how the thing
    goes together as Ive never pulled a lappy apart.

    P.S. Can and have built desktops and upgraded a couple, but never
    laptops.

    Anyway, what do you think ?.
    k9nick, May 30, 2007

  2. k9nick

    k9nick Guest

    On May 31, 10:31 am, k9nick <> wrote:
    > Hey all. Mrs's laptop shagged itself. couple of keyboard keys dont
    > work, have been using a regular keyboard plugged into the usb. Mouse
    > pad is unreliable. And now I think the hard drive is stuffed as it
    > comes up with a message, "cannot find operating system". Went through
    > the set up area prior to booting and checked all those settings. no
    > sign of life on the hard drive light on the laptop. It's an old acer
    > btw. 1.5 is is the processing speed so its a usable lappy. Anyway, I
    > wondered what the thoughts might be on either binning it, or fixing it
    > up on the cheap. Thought I might play around with it and install
    > linux or something.
    >
    > Btw. Mrs went out and bought a new compaq. runs vista. geesh its
    > slow. But there you are. ANyway. Your thoughts gents ? SHould I
    > bin it and if I go about getting another hard drive for it, replace
    > the keyboard, perhaps look at getting the keyboard fixed, not vital as
    > Im happy with the keyboard in the usb, would it be worth it. Or
    > should I play with the hardware bits and pieces to see how the thing
    > goes together as Ive never pulled a lappy apart.
    >
    > P.S. Can and have built desktops and upgraded a couple, but never
    > laptops.
    >
    > Anyway, what do you think ?.

    ps. tried reformatting with a ligit xp disk, goes through the process
    of installing then says it cant find a hard disk. So yeah, h/d stuffed
    I recon
    k9nick, May 30, 2007

  3. k9nick

    Fred Guest

    "k9nick" <> wrote in message
    > On May 31, 10:31 am, k9nick <> wrote:
    >> Hey all. Mrs's laptop shagged itself. couple of keyboard keys dont
    >> work, have been using a regular keyboard plugged into the usb. Mouse
    >> pad is unreliable. And now I think the hard drive is stuffed as it
    >> comes up with a message, "cannot find operating system". Went through
    >> the set up area prior to booting and checked all those settings. no
    >> sign of life on the hard drive light on the laptop. It's an old acer
    >> btw. 1.5 is is the processing speed so its a usable lappy. Anyway, I
    >> wondered what the thoughts might be on either binning it, or fixing it
    >> up on the cheap. Thought I might play around with it and install
    >> linux or something.
    >>
    >> Btw. Mrs went out and bought a new compaq. runs vista. geesh its
    >> slow. But there you are. ANyway. Your thoughts gents ? SHould I
    >> bin it and if I go about getting another hard drive for it, replace
    >> the keyboard, perhaps look at getting the keyboard fixed, not vital as
    >> Im happy with the keyboard in the usb, would it be worth it. Or
    >> should I play with the hardware bits and pieces to see how the thing
    >> goes together as Ive never pulled a lappy apart.
    >>
    >> P.S. Can and have built desktops and upgraded a couple, but never
    >> laptops.
    >>
    >> Anyway, what do you think ?.

    > ps. tried reformatting with a ligit xp disk, goes through the process
    > of installing then says it cant find a hard disk. So yeah, h/d stuffed
    > I recon

    Have you priced a keyboard for that model? I put a new one in my laptop. It
    was surisingly cheap. Check connection to hard drive before you go too far.
    Fred, May 30, 2007
  4. k9nick

    Richard Guest

    k9nick wrote:
    > Hey all. Mrs's laptop shagged itself. couple of keyboard keys dont
    > work, have been using a regular keyboard plugged into the usb. Mouse
    > pad is unreliable. And now I think the hard drive is stuffed as it
    > comes up with a message, "cannot find operating system". Went through
    > the set up area prior to booting and checked all those settings. no
    > sign of life on the hard drive light on the laptop. It's an old acer
    > btw. 1.5 is is the processing speed so its a usable lappy. Anyway, I
    > wondered what the thoughts might be on either binning it, or fixing it
    > up on the cheap. Thought I might play around with it and install
    > linux or something.
    >
    > Btw. Mrs went out and bought a new compaq. runs vista. geesh its
    > slow. But there you are. ANyway. Your thoughts gents ? SHould I
    > bin it and if I go about getting another hard drive for it, replace
    > the keyboard, perhaps look at getting the keyboard fixed, not vital as
    > Im happy with the keyboard in the usb, would it be worth it. Or
    > should I play with the hardware bits and pieces to see how the thing
    > goes together as Ive never pulled a lappy apart.
    >
    > P.S. Can and have built desktops and upgraded a couple, but never
    > laptops.
    >
    > Anyway, what do you think ?.

    laptop hdds are really cheap now, I remember paying over 400 for a 40
    gig once, and thinking it was a good deal, now you cant pay that much
    for the biggest ones

    Look on trademe for someone parting out a similar laptop, keyboards are
    usually just one screw on the bottom to swap out, since they have to be
    easily changed for all the weird euro layouts that they have over there.
    Richard, May 31, 2007
  5. k9nick

    Jerry Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > k9nick wrote:
    >> Hey all. Mrs's laptop shagged itself. couple of keyboard keys dont
    >> work, have been using a regular keyboard plugged into the usb. Mouse
    >> pad is unreliable. And now I think the hard drive is stuffed as it
    >> comes up with a message, "cannot find operating system". Went through
    >> the set up area prior to booting and checked all those settings. no
    >> sign of life on the hard drive light on the laptop. It's an old acer
    >> btw. 1.5 is is the processing speed so its a usable lappy. Anyway, I
    >> wondered what the thoughts might be on either binning it, or fixing it
    >> up on the cheap. Thought I might play around with it and install
    >> linux or something.
    >>
    >> Btw. Mrs went out and bought a new compaq. runs vista. geesh its
    >> slow. But there you are. ANyway. Your thoughts gents ? SHould I
    >> bin it and if I go about getting another hard drive for it, replace
    >> the keyboard, perhaps look at getting the keyboard fixed, not vital as
    >> Im happy with the keyboard in the usb, would it be worth it. Or
    >> should I play with the hardware bits and pieces to see how the thing
    >> goes together as Ive never pulled a lappy apart.
    >>
    >> P.S. Can and have built desktops and upgraded a couple, but never
    >> laptops.
    >>
    >> Anyway, what do you think ?.
    >>

    > laptop hdds are really cheap now, I remember paying over 400 for a 40
    > gig once, and thinking it was a good deal, now you cant pay that much
    > for the biggest ones
    >
    > Look on trademe for someone parting out a similar laptop, keyboards are
    > usually just one screw on the bottom to swap out, since they have to be
    > easily changed for all the weird euro layouts that they have over there.

    I just paid that much for one, but it comes in a nice case
    http://www.flashcards.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_188&products_id=1149
    Jerry, May 31, 2007
  6. Re: knackered laptop

    In message <>, k9nick
    wrote:

    > ps. tried reformatting with a ligit xp disk, goes through the process
    > of installing then says it cant find a hard disk. So yeah, h/d stuffed
    > I recon

    Try using a Linux live CD as a rescue system to check the state of your
    hardware. Gives you a few more options for poking around than just running
    a Windows install.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 31, 2007