    ****************
    Just got rid of my spam attracting email address and wish to slow the
    spread of junk to my new address!!

    LyndonX, Jan 1, 2007

  2. LyndonX <> wrote:

    > I have been a long time Pentax user, but lately have been
    > dpoing more dig photo. I would like to kknow what options
    > are out there for those who have kmounts lenses and would
    > like to keep using them in dig photography.

    Easy, buy a Pentax or Samsung DSLR. Your 24mm will become a 36mm.
    If you want to wet your feet at minimal expense, try a Pentax K110D body.

    --
    Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
    Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

    Charles Gillen, Jan 1, 2007

  3. LyndonX

    Tony Belding Guest

    On 2007-01-01 12:56:14 -0600, LyndonX <> said:

    > I have been a long time Pentax user, but lately have been
    > dpoing more dig photo. I would like to kknow what options
    > are out there for those who have kmounts lenses and would
    > like to keep using them in dig photography. I have a 24mm
    > that I like to use.

    The good news is, if you get a new Pentax DSLR it will take practically
    any Pentax K-mount lens ever made. With an adaptor it can also take
    the older M42 screw-mount lenses. However, there are some limitations
    you need to be aware of.

    There is a 1.5X "crop factor" due to the small sensor, which means
    every lens acts as though it were 50% longer. So a 50mm normal lens
    become a short tele, and provides the field of view you would expect
    from a 75mm. A 28mm or 35mm acts as a normal lens on the DSLR. Your
    telephotos get longer, your wide angle lenses become normal lenses, and
    you may have to buy new wide angles.

    Some of the older third-party lenses may not work without modification.
    I got a Tokina 28mm lens that had to be modified before it would go on
    the camera. Worse, there are Ricoh lenses (including I think some
    Sears branded) that can get STUCK on your camera and present a serious
    repair problem to get them loose. These lenses can be modified to work
    but you have to think about it beforehand, not after.

    Finally. . . The Pentax K100/110d and K10d are not able to read the
    aperture setting when you set it manually using the F-stop ring. That
    means K and M and M42 lenses -- anything prior to the Pentax-A series
    -- cannot meter continuously. You have to use the camera in manual
    mode and take discrete meter readings. When you press the AE-L button
    it stops down the aperture, takes a reading and sets the shutter speed,
    and releases the aperture. This is similar in principle to how the old
    Spotmatic cameras worked. It actually works pretty well, but may slow
    you down a little.

    --
    Tony Belding, Hamilton Texas

    Tony Belding, Jan 1, 2007