Kiwibank scam

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Roger_Nickel, Oct 8, 2011.

  1. Roger_Nickel

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    I got this email:-

    "Dear Valued Customer,

    You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
    cannot be
    completed due to errors present in your account information.

    You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
    immediately.

    https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ

    Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call Customer
    Service at the
    number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days
    a week.

    We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to use.
    Yours sincerely... "

    O.K, its strange, Kiwibank would know who I am but the interesting thing
    is that the URL looks reasonably kosher. So much for that!, the URL
    resolves as http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php and I didn't try
    to visit. How do they do it?, have they hijacked a part of the kiwibank
    domain?. kiwibank.co.nz/ takes you to the Kiwibank webpage and the
    Kiwibank login url is https://www.ib.kiwibank.co.nz/
    Roger_Nickel, Oct 8, 2011

  2. On 8 Oct 2011 12:12:16 +1300, Roger_Nickel <> wrote:

    >I got this email:-
    >
    >"Dear Valued Customer,
    >
    >You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
    >cannot be
    >completed due to errors present in your account information.
    >
    >You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
    >immediately.
    >
    >https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
    >
    >Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call Customer
    >Service at the
    >number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days
    >a week.
    >

    >We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to use.
    >Yours sincerely... "
    >

    >O.K, its strange, Kiwibank would know who I am but the interesting thing
    >is that the URL looks reasonably kosher. So much for that!, the URL
    >resolves as http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php and I didn't try
    >to visit. How do they do it?, have they hijacked a part of the kiwibank
    >domain?. kiwibank.co.nz/ takes you to the Kiwibank webpage and the
    >Kiwibank login url is https://www.ib.kiwibank.co.nz/

    Had 2 of them and ASB and ANZ and stacks from Clear.net, very very
    normal.

    Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..
    Frank Williams, Oct 8, 2011

  3. Roger_Nickel

    Enkidu Guest

    On 08/10/11 12:12, Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > I got this email:-
    >
    > "Dear Valued Customer,
    >
    > You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
    > cannot be
    > completed due to errors present in your account information.
    >
    > You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
    > immediately.
    >
    > https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
    >
    > Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call Customer
    > Service at the
    > number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days
    > a week.
    >

    > We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to use.
    > Yours sincerely... "
    >
    > O.K, its strange, Kiwibank would know who I am but the interesting thing
    > is that the URL looks reasonably kosher. So much for that!, the URL
    > resolves as http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php and I didn't try
    > to visit. How do they do it?, have they hijacked a part of the kiwibank
    > domain?. kiwibank.co.nz/ takes you to the Kiwibank webpage and the
    > Kiwibank login url is https://www.ib.kiwibank.co.nz/

    Is the link actually what it seems to be? When you hover over the link,
    does the status line show kiwibank's URL or the pet shop's?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Oct 8, 2011
  4. On 8 Oct 2011 12:12:16 +1300, Roger_Nickel <> wrote:

    >I got this email:-
    >
    >"Dear Valued Customer,
    >
    >You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
    >cannot be
    >completed due to errors present in your account information.
    >
    >You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
    >immediately.
    >
    >https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
    >
    >Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call Customer
    >Service at the
    >number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days
    >a week.
    >

    >We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to use.
    >Yours sincerely... "
    >

    >O.K, its strange, Kiwibank would know who I am but the interesting thing
    >is that the URL looks reasonably kosher. So much for that!, the URL
    >resolves as http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php and I didn't try
    >to visit. How do they do it?, have they hijacked a part of the kiwibank
    >domain?. kiwibank.co.nz/ takes you to the Kiwibank webpage and the
    >Kiwibank login url is https://www.ib.kiwibank.co.nz/

    When reading a web page, you have to realise that the visible text for
    a link is just whatever the author writes for it - just any old text.
    The actual link is a different bit of HTML code that you do not see
    unless you get your web browser to show you. For example, here is a
    bit of a Western Digital support page:

    Available on Major U.S. Holidays</a>

    What you see on the web page is the text "Available on Major U.S.
    Holidays" as a clickable link. The actual link is the
    "http://support.wdc.com/contact/usholidays.asp?lang=en" bit, and that
    is what your web browser will probably show you if you hover over the
    link.

    So if I wanted to create the link you have in the scam email, I would
    simply write this in the HTML:

    <a
    href="http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php">https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ</a>
    Stephen Worthington, Oct 8, 2011
  5. Roger_Nickel

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-10-08, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > On 8 Oct 2011 12:12:16 +1300, Roger_Nickel <> wrote:
    >
    >>I got this email:-
    >>
    >>"Dear Valued Customer,
    >>
    >>You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
    >>cannot be
    >>completed due to errors present in your account information.
    >>
    >>You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
    >>immediately.
    >>
    >>https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
    >>
    >>Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call Customer
    >>Service at the
    >>number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days
    >>a week.
    >>

    >>We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to use.
    >>Yours sincerely... "
    >>

    >>O.K, its strange, Kiwibank would know who I am but the interesting thing
    >>is that the URL looks reasonably kosher. So much for that!, the URL
    >>resolves as http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php and I didn't try
    >>to visit. How do they do it?, have they hijacked a part of the kiwibank
    >>domain?. kiwibank.co.nz/ takes you to the Kiwibank webpage and the
    >>Kiwibank login url is https://www.ib.kiwibank.co.nz/

    > Had 2 of them and ASB and ANZ and stacks from Clear.net, very very
    > normal.
    >
    > Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..

    They do.

    The point is that they would *NEVER* ask for to "click" with them.

    Look, Ms Penguin say *deny all*. Then when a person comes to your door they
    better have a valid reason for doing so. Otherwise they will be tracked down
    and eaten.

    Come on people, *think*, as in sleep on it before clicking.

    Break the link. "Attack" from another angle, if it is real you will arrive at
    the same place, if not you will be wiser
    Gordon, Oct 8, 2011
  6. On 8 Oct 2011 04:41:28 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2011-10-08, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >> On 8 Oct 2011 12:12:16 +1300, Roger_Nickel <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I got this email:-
    >>>
    >>>"Dear Valued Customer,
    >>>
    >>>You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
    >>>cannot be
    >>>completed due to errors present in your account information.
    >>>
    >>>You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
    >>>immediately.
    >>>
    >>>https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
    >>>
    >>>Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call Customer
    >>>Service at the
    >>>number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days
    >>>a week.
    >>>

    >>>We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to use.
    >>>Yours sincerely... "
    >>>

    >>>O.K, its strange, Kiwibank would know who I am but the interesting thing
    >>>is that the URL looks reasonably kosher. So much for that!, the URL
    >>>resolves as http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php and I didn't try
    >>>to visit. How do they do it?, have they hijacked a part of the kiwibank
    >>>domain?. kiwibank.co.nz/ takes you to the Kiwibank webpage and the
    >>>Kiwibank login url is https://www.ib.kiwibank.co.nz/

    >> Had 2 of them and ASB and ANZ and stacks from Clear.net, very very
    >> normal.
    >>
    >> Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..
    >>

    >They do.

    No they don't had I have never given them my email addy.

    Frank Williams, Oct 8, 2011
  7. Roger_Nickel

    bugalugs Guest

    On 8/10/2011 7:25 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    > On 8 Oct 2011 04:41:28 GMT, Gordon<> wrote:

    >>> Had 2 of them and ASB and ANZ and stacks from Clear.net, very very
    >>> normal.
    >>>
    >>> Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..
    >>>

    >> They do.

    > No they don't had I have never given them my email addy.

    You are so wrong.

    I have had a number of emails from my bank. And I have replied to them.

    --
    I'm not too handy with tools. I once got my finger caught in
    a screwdriver
    bugalugs, Oct 8, 2011
  8. Roger_Nickel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-10-08, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >> On 8 Oct 2011 12:12:16 +1300, Roger_Nickel <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I got this email:-
    >>>
    >>> "Dear Valued Customer,
    >>>
    >>> You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This
    >>> transaction cannot be
    >>> completed due to errors present in your account information.
    >>>
    >>> You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
    >>> immediately.
    >>>
    >>> https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
    >>>
    >>> Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call
    >>> Customer Service at the
    >>> number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7
    >>> days a week.
    >>>

    >>> We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient
    >>> to use. Yours sincerely... "
    >>>

    >>> O.K, its strange, Kiwibank would know who I am but the interesting
    >>> thing is that the URL looks reasonably kosher. So much for that!,
    >>> the URL resolves as http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php
    >>> and I didn't try to visit. How do they do it?, have they hijacked a
    >>> part of the kiwibank domain?. kiwibank.co.nz/ takes you to the
    >>> Kiwibank webpage and the Kiwibank login url is
    >>> https://www.ib.kiwibank.co.nz/

    >> Had 2 of them and ASB and ANZ and stacks from Clear.net, very very
    >> normal.
    >>
    >> Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..
    >>

    > They do.
    >
    > The point is that they would *NEVER* ask for to "click" with them.
    >
    > Look, Ms Penguin say *deny all*. Then when a person comes to your
    > door they better have a valid reason for doing so. Otherwise they
    > will be tracked down and eaten.
    >
    > Come on people, *think*, as in sleep on it before clicking.
    >
    > Break the link. "Attack" from another angle, if it is real you will
    > arrive at the same place, if not you will be wiser

    Sleep on it? But there's money supposed to come into my account and, unless
    they have the right details pronto I won't get it.

    ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Oct 8, 2011
  9. Roger_Nickel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    > On 8/10/2011 7:25 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >> On 8 Oct 2011 04:41:28 GMT, Gordon<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2011-10-08, Frank Williams<> wrote:

    [snip]

    >>> They do.

    >> No they don't had I have never given them my email addy.

    > You are so wrong.
    >
    > I have had a number of emails from my bank. And I have replied to
    > them.

    Same here. I mean, why wouldn't they send emails? This isn't the 1700s (or
    whenever it was Woger was spawned), any business that doesn't use available
    tools to it's advantage is going to get left behind.

    ~misfit~, Oct 8, 2011
  10. Roger_Nickel

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:10:22 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > On 08/10/11 12:12, Roger_Nickel wrote:
    >> I got this email:-
    >>
    >> "Dear Valued Customer,
    >>
    >> You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
    >> cannot be
    >> completed due to errors present in your account information.
    >>
    >> You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
    >> immediately.
    >>
    >> https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
    >>
    >> Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call
    >> Customer Service at the
    >> number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7
    >> days a week.
    >>

    >> We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to
    >> use. Yours sincerely... "
    >>
    >> O.K, its strange, Kiwibank would know who I am but the interesting
    >> thing is that the URL looks reasonably kosher. So much for that!, the
    >> URL resolves as http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php and I
    >> didn't try to visit. How do they do it?, have they hijacked a part of
    >> the kiwibank domain?. kiwibank.co.nz/ takes you to the Kiwibank webpage
    >> and the Kiwibank login url is https://www.ib.kiwibank.co.nz/
    > >

    > Is the link actually what it seems to be? When you hover over the link,
    > does the status line show kiwibank's URL or the pet shop's?
    >
    > Cheers,

    OK, a bit more poking around and I think that I have found the problem.
    Firefox complains that the ssl certificate is issued to www.kiwibank.co.nz
    (not:- kiwibank.co.nz). The browser automatically adds the www if the url
    is entered into the address bar but not if clicking directly on the link
    from within the email. Cunning; I missed it the first time, but now it
    seems so simple. A chink in the Kiwibank armour.
    Roger_Nickel, Oct 8, 2011
  11. Roger_Nickel

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:05:24 +1300, Frank Williams
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..

    Au contraire. It doesn't happen often - banks love paper - but my bank
    occasionally sends me an email to promote some thing or another.
    Ironically, the last one to promote "paperless" statements.
    Donchano, Oct 8, 2011
  12. Roger_Nickel

    Enkidu Guest

    On 09/10/11 11:06, Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:10:22 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> On 08/10/11 12:12, Roger_Nickel wrote:
    >>> I got this email:-
    >>>
    >>> "Dear Valued Customer,
    >>>
    >>> You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
    >>> cannot be
    >>> completed due to errors present in your account information.
    >>>
    >>> You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
    >>> immediately.
    >>>
    >>> https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
    >>>
    >>> Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call
    >>> Customer Service at the
    >>> number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7
    >>> days a week.
    >>>

    >>> We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to
    >>> use. Yours sincerely... "
    >>>
    >>> O.K, its strange, Kiwibank would know who I am but the interesting
    >>> thing is that the URL looks reasonably kosher. So much for that!, the
    >>> URL resolves as http://www.helensburghpetshop.com/Login.php and I
    >>> didn't try to visit. How do they do it?, have they hijacked a part of
    >>> the kiwibank domain?. kiwibank.co.nz/ takes you to the Kiwibank webpage
    >>> and the Kiwibank login url is https://www.ib.kiwibank.co.nz/
    >> >

    >> Is the link actually what it seems to be? When you hover over the link,
    >> does the status line show kiwibank's URL or the pet shop's?
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > OK, a bit more poking around and I think that I have found the problem.
    > Firefox complains that the ssl certificate is issued to www.kiwibank.co.nz
    > (not:- kiwibank.co.nz). The browser automatically adds the www if the url
    > is entered into the address bar but not if clicking directly on the link
    > from within the email. Cunning; I missed it the first time, but now it
    > seems so simple. A chink in the Kiwibank armour.

    That still doesn't divert the user to the pet shop.

    Enkidu, Oct 9, 2011
  13. Roger_Nickel

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-10-08, Roger_Nickel <> wrote:

    > OK, a bit more poking around and I think that I have found the problem.
    > Firefox complains that the ssl certificate is issued to www.kiwibank.co.nz
    > (not:- kiwibank.co.nz). The browser automatically adds the www if the url
    > is entered into the address bar but not if clicking directly on the link
    > from within the email. Cunning; I missed it the first time, but now it
    > seems so simple. A chink in the Kiwibank armour.

    Not really, rather the reverse. You thought that you just stroll in with
    near enough is good enough attitude. First attempt failed, albeit to Firefox
    saying, Hey! ssl certificate is not right. You then have to decide to allow
    or not the other address. A phishing chink is more to the point.
    Gordon, Oct 9, 2011
  14. Roger_Nickel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:05:24 +1300, Frank Williams
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..

    > Au contraire. It doesn't happen often - banks love paper - but my bank
    > occasionally sends me an email to promote some thing or another.
    > Ironically, the last one to promote "paperless" statements.

    That's not irony is it?

    ~misfit~, Oct 9, 2011
  15. Roger_Nickel

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 8/10/2011 12:12 p.m., Roger_Nickel wrote:
    > I got this email:-
    >
    > "Dear Valued Customer,
    >
    > You have an incoming payment slated for your account. This transaction
    > cannot be
    > completed due to errors present in your account information.
    >
    > You are required to click on the link below to fix this problem
    > immediately.
    >
    > https://kiwibank.co.nz/myaccount/Login.do?=41256SQ
    >
    > Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please call Customer
    > Service at the
    > number on the back of your card. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days
    > a week.
    >

    > We hope you find our Internet Banking service easy and convenient to use.
    > Yours sincerely... "

    What's impressive is the lack of grammar/spelling mistakes. They
    usually give the game away.
    Gib Bogle, Oct 9, 2011
  16. Roger_Nickel

    Your Name Guest

    In article <j6rgli$lih$>, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > > On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:05:24 +1300, Frank Williams
    > > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    > >
    > >> Just think Banks don't send Emails at all ever..

    > > Au contraire. It doesn't happen often - banks love paper - but my bank
    > > occasionally sends me an email to promote some thing or another.
    > > Ironically, the last one to promote "paperless" statements.

    > That's not irony is it?

    Nope. Irony is when you want to remove the creases from your statements. ;-)
    Your Name, Oct 9, 2011
  17. Roger_Nickel

    Enkidu Guest

    On 10/10/11 09:01, Your Name wrote:
    > In article<j6rgli$lih$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:05:24 +1300, Frank Williams
    >>> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Au contraire. It doesn't happen often - banks love paper - but my bank
    >>> occasionally sends me an email to promote some thing or another.
    >>> Ironically, the last one to promote "paperless" statements.

    >> That's not irony is it?

    > Nope. Irony is when you want to remove the creases from your statements. ;-)

    Nope. A chocolate cake is chocolatey and an iron bar is irony.

    Enkidu, Oct 9, 2011
  18. Roger_Nickel

    Your Name Guest

    In article <4e91ffa2$>, Enkidu
    <> wrote:

    > On 10/10/11 09:01, Your Name wrote:
    > > In article<j6rgli$lih$>, "~misfit~"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> That's not irony is it?

    > > Nope. Irony is when you want to remove the creases from your statements.
    > > ;-)

    > Nope. A chocolate cake is chocolatey and ...

    A sponge cake is spongey, a fruit cake is fruity, a lemon icing is lemony,
    but what does that make a toast with honey? Honeyey? ;-)

    > ... an iron bar is irony.

    Unless you leave it out in the rain, in which case an iron bar is just
    rusty. ;-)
    Your Name, Oct 9, 2011
  19. In article <j6pais$8e6$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:

    >[snip]
    >>> No they don't had I have never given them my email addy.

    >> You are so wrong.
    >>
    >> I have had a number of emails from my bank. And I have replied to
    >> them.

    >Same here. I mean, why wouldn't they send emails? This isn't the 1700s (or
    >whenever it was Woger was spawned), any business that doesn't use available
    >tools to it's advantage is going to get left behind.

    Sure ... but come on ... what does ... "we have some money for you but need
    to confirm your account and password data" sound like to you ? :) :)

    Remember also ... "banks will never ask for your password by email", and I
    suggest that a phone call would resolve the "problem". :)

    Of course, the OP didn't mention if they were expecting 'some money" or not.
    :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 10, 2011
  20. Roger_Nickel

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <j6pais$8e6$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:

    >> [snip]
    >>> You are so wrong.
    >>>
    >>> I have had a number of emails from my bank. And I have replied to
    >>> them.

    >> Same here. I mean, why wouldn't they send emails? This isn't the
    >> 1700s (or whenever it was Woger was spawned), any business that
    >> doesn't use available tools to it's advantage is going to get left
    >> behind.

    > Sure ... but come on ... what does ... "we have some money for you
    > but need
    > to confirm your account and password data" sound like to you ? :) :)

    Heh!

    > Remember also ... "banks will never ask for your password by email",
    > and I
    > suggest that a phone call would resolve the "problem". :)

    Mate, I don't know if it's just me but I get several NZ bank scam emails a
    week, mostly for banks with whom I don't hold an account. The difference
    between a real bank email and a scam is chalk and cheese.

    > Of course, the OP didn't mention if they were expecting 'some money"
    > or not. :)

    Aren't we always though? I'm still waiting for my boat to come in. <g>

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2011