Kiwi syslogging of Cisco 2811 through outside interface of Pix 501

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by pix help, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. pix help

    pix help Guest

    Hello,

    Hope someone can share thoughts on how best to set this up. I am
    trying to pass syslog from outside interface to server that sits
    behind pix firewall. Details as follows.

    Cisco2811
    192.168.1.1 (LAN)
    255.255.255.0
    Kiwi Syslog on UDP port 514

    Cisco Pix
    192.168.1.2 (Outside Interface)
    192.168.150.1 (Inside Interface)
    255.255.255.0

    Syslog sitting on:
    192.168.150.27
    255.255.225.0

    I setup the 2811 to pass the syslog to 192.168.1.2
    Trying to get the Pix to route all inbound UPD 514 traffic from the
    Cisco 2811 to 192.168.150.27. I would like to keep the outside Cisco
    2811 traffic visable in the syslog so I can tell between Pix, 2811,
    and VPN 2005 that is logging to..

    Does anyof this make sense? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

    pix help, Jan 28, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    pix help <> wrote:
    >Hope someone can share thoughts on how best to set this up. I am
    >trying to pass syslog from outside interface to server that sits
    >behind pix firewall. Details as follows.

    >Cisco2811
    >192.168.1.1 (LAN)
    >255.255.255.0
    >Kiwi Syslog on UDP port 514

    >Cisco Pix
    >192.168.1.2 (Outside Interface)
    >192.168.150.1 (Inside Interface)
    >255.255.255.0

    >Syslog sitting on:
    >192.168.150.27
    >255.255.225.0

    static (inside,outside) udp interface 53 192.168.150.27 53
    access-list out2in permit udp host 192.168.1.1 interface eq 53
    access-group out2in in interface outside

    Walter Roberson, Jan 28, 2007

  3. pix help

    pix help Guest

    On Jan 28, 1:08 pm, "pix help" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Hope someone can share thoughts on how best to set this up. I am
    > trying to pass syslog from outside interface to server that sits
    > behind pix firewall. Details as follows.
    >
    > Cisco2811
    > 192.168.1.1 (LAN)
    > 255.255.255.0
    > Kiwi Syslog on UDP port 514
    >
    > Cisco Pix
    > 192.168.1.2 (Outside Interface)
    > 192.168.150.1 (Inside Interface)
    > 255.255.255.0
    >
    > Syslog sitting on:
    > 192.168.150.27
    > 255.255.225.0
    >
    > I setup the 2811 to pass the syslog to 192.168.1.2
    > Trying to get the Pix to route all inbound UPD 514 traffic from the
    > Cisco 2811 to 192.168.150.27. I would like to keep the outside Cisco
    > 2811 traffic visable in the syslog so I can tell between Pix, 2811,
    > and VPN 2005 that is logging to..
    >
    > Does anyof this make sense? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

    Hello,

    Thank you for the suggestion. It works, well kinda. Here is the deal.
    The syslog is listeniing on UDP 514. All other network devices are
    logging to this port. The Cisco 2811 is setup for logging but nothing
    comes through on UDP 514. When I allow all UDP traffic from Cisco 2811
    through Pix firewall to syslog it works. It would not be good to allow
    all UDP traffic. What gives here? Anyone with suggestion of feedback
    on this? I researched and could not find anything helpful.

    I guess the question is what ports(s) does the Cisco 2811 use for
    syslog?

    Thanks!

    pix help, Jan 31, 2007