Kiwi Supercomputer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Jun 29, 2007.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    See:

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10448696

    >>The University of Canterbury's new IBM Blue Gene supercomputer is not

    yet operational, but already it is being officially recognised as one of
    the 100 most powerful supercomputers in the world.<<

    And these brutes run Linux. Toy operating systems are just not up to it
    for this kind of computing power. In any case the University would go
    broke if it had to buy a trunk full of licences for the software.

    peterwn, Jun 29, 2007

  2. peterwn

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <4684f8f4$>, peterwn <>
    wrote:

    > See:
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10448696
    >
    > >>The University of Canterbury's new IBM Blue Gene supercomputer is not

    > yet operational, but already it is being officially recognised as one of
    > the 100 most powerful supercomputers in the world.<<
    >
    > And these brutes run Linux. Toy operating systems are just not up to it
    > for this kind of computing power. In any case the University would go
    > broke if it had to buy a trunk full of licences for the software.

    "System X won't retain its No. 3 spot when this year's Top 500 list is
    published: Other more powerful systems have come online since 2003 that
    will supercede System X in raw computing power. But few, if any, are
    likely to compare to System X when it comes to price-performance ratio. "

    System X ran Mac OSX and was at the number 3 spot in 2003. The hardware
    comes with an unlimited server licence, but number 3 is a damn sight
    better than somewhere maybe in the top 100.

    whoisthis, Jun 29, 2007

  3. peterwn

    Peter Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <4684f8f4$>, peterwn <>
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10448696
    >> The University of Canterbury's new IBM Blue Gene supercomputer is not
    >> yet operational, but already it is being officially recognised as one of
    >> the 100 most powerful supercomputers in the world.<<
    >> And these brutes run Linux. Toy operating systems are just not up to it
    >> for this kind of computing power.

    > System X ran Mac OSX and was at the number 3 spot in 2003. The hardware
    > comes with an unlimited server licence, but number 3 is a damn sight
    > better than somewhere maybe in the top 100.

    To make number 3 in 2003, that must have been some computer! However, OSX
    and Microsoft Windows are rarely chosen for supercomputers. In fact, they
    don't have enough market share to even get out of the "other" category.
    http://www.top500.org/charts/list/29/osfam

    By far the most widely used OS is Linux, with over 75% of systems. The next
    biggest is Unix. The biggest supercomputers in NZ use Linux (Helix,
    Helix2, Weta Digital, et al).

    Peter

    Peter, Jun 29, 2007
  4. peterwn

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <1183153329.151465@ftpsrv1>, Peter <>
    wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    > > In article <4684f8f4$>, peterwn <>
    > >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10448696
    > >> The University of Canterbury's new IBM Blue Gene supercomputer is not
    > >> yet operational, but already it is being officially recognised as one of
    > >> the 100 most powerful supercomputers in the world.<<
    > >> And these brutes run Linux. Toy operating systems are just not up to it
    > >> for this kind of computing power.

    > > System X ran Mac OSX and was at the number 3 spot in 2003. The hardware
    > > comes with an unlimited server licence, but number 3 is a damn sight
    > > better than somewhere maybe in the top 100.

    > To make number 3 in 2003, that must have been some computer! However, OSX
    > and Microsoft Windows are rarely chosen for supercomputers. In fact, they
    > don't have enough market share to even get out of the "other" category.
    > http://www.top500.org/charts/list/29/osfam
    >
    > By far the most widely used OS is Linux, with over 75% of systems. The next
    > biggest is Unix. The biggest supercomputers in NZ use Linux (Helix,
    > Helix2, Weta Digital, et al).
    >

    > Peter

    OSX is Unix, BSD actually.
    And it consisted of over 1100 dual core G4 machines which were later
    upgraded to Xserves.

    Helix and Helix2 suffer from reliability issues !

    whoisthis, Jun 29, 2007
  5. In message <>, whoisthis wrote:

    > System X ran Mac OSX and was at the number 3 spot in 2003.

    And it wasn't there for long.

    I think the record holder for keeping the top spot for the longest time was
    NEC's Earth Simulator, which was number 1 for over 2 years.

    And guess what operating system that was running...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 30, 2007
  6. peterwn

    Peter Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, whoisthis wrote:
    >
    >> System X ran Mac OSX and was at the number 3 spot in 2003.

    > And it wasn't there for long.
    >
    > I think the record holder for keeping the top spot for the longest time
    > was NEC's Earth Simulator, which was number 1 for over 2 years.
    >
    > And guess what operating system that was running...

    Super-UX
    http://www.top500.org/system/5628

    IIRC this is a purpose built OS, for this particular supercomputer, is that
    correct?

    Peter, Jun 30, 2007
  7. peterwn

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:48:10 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >

    >> And guess what operating system that was running...

    > Super-UX
    > http://www.top500.org/system/5628
    >
    > IIRC this is a purpose built OS, for this particular supercomputer, is
    > that correct?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUPER-UX
    SUPER-UX, sometimes also spelled SuperUx or Super-UX, is the version of
    the Unix operating system that is used on NEC SX architecture
    supercomputers. It is a port of System V Release 4.2MP (SVR4.2MP), but
    includes many features adopted from BSD and Linux, along with some
    additional proprietary features specific to a supercomputing environment.

    SUPER-UX supports the Supercomputer File System (SFS).

    El Chippy, Jun 30, 2007