    Anybody knows other brands, having an ethernet on board?
    Thanks,
    -JK

    JK, Jul 13, 2003

  2. JK

    Mike Davis Guest

    Kez wrote:
    > JK wrote:
    >
    >>Are there more DVD-players like the Kiss 500 DVD ethernet?
    >>I like the technique, but I don't like the looks ...
    >>
    >>Anybody knows other brands, having an ethernet on board?
    >>Thanks,
    >>-JK

    > XBOX

    Idiot,
    Most of the fully loaded DVD players come out of HK. If you really want
    something that can play Divx4, etc. this is your best bet. I'll give you
    one link, after that you are one your own. Note that some of the best HK
    rigs do upscaling for projectors:
    https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dvdplayer/main_frame.htm
    Check out the 1080i output, you sure don't see than in the States! All
    the best, Mike

    Mike Davis, Jul 14, 2003

  3. JK

    Kez Guest

    "Mike Davis" <> wrote in message
    > Kez wrote:
    > > JK wrote:
    > >
    > >>Are there more DVD-players like the Kiss 500 DVD ethernet?
    > >>I like the technique, but I don't like the looks ...
    > >>
    > >>Anybody knows other brands, having an ethernet on board?
    > >>Thanks,
    > >>-JK

    > > XBOX
    > >

    > Idiot,
    > Most of the fully loaded DVD players come out of HK. If you really want
    > something that can play Divx4, etc. this is your best bet. I'll give you
    > one link, after that you are one your own. Note that some of the best HK
    > rigs do upscaling for projectors:
    > https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dvdplayer/main_frame.htm
    > Check out the 1080i output, you sure don't see than in the States! All
    > the best, Mike

    who's the idiot? my xbox will play any media, and has component output for
    PAL and NTSC

    it'll even play games, too

    *plonk*

    Kez, Jul 14, 2003
  4. JK

    Gav Guest

    Mike Davis <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Kez wrote:
    > > JK wrote:
    > >
    > >>Are there more DVD-players like the Kiss 500 DVD ethernet?
    > >>I like the technique, but I don't like the looks ...
    > >>
    > >>Anybody knows other brands, having an ethernet on board?
    > >>Thanks,
    > >>-JK

    > > XBOX
    > >

    > Idiot,
    > Most of the fully loaded DVD players come out of HK. If you really want
    > something that can play Divx4, etc. this is your best bet. I'll give you
    > one link, after that you are one your own. Note that some of the best HK
    > rigs do upscaling for projectors:
    > https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dvdplayer/main_frame.htm
    > Check out the 1080i output, you sure don't see than in the States! All
    > the best, Mike

    There's nothing idiotic about the guy's suggestion of an Xbox as a
    multi-player. It needs a mod chip for full effect of course, but you
    can get a pre-modded one quite cheaply.

    With the mod, it can play just about any video and audio format
    under the sun off of DVD, CD, internal HD or even streamed over an
    ethernet connection from another machine. It's just about the most
    cost effective/living room friendly player solution that you can get
    for an A/V enthusiast who might view the games as a bonus.

    Gav

    Gav, Jul 14, 2003
  5. JK

    homer Guest

    What's it like streaming over ethernet? This is what I really want (so I
    can more or less shove my media collections in a closet).

    I am interested primarily in streaming high bit rate mpeg2 files (ripped
    dvds) and CD/DA (ripped CD that I don't want to encode). Would Xbox fit
    this role? I have about 500 CDs and about 50 DVDs and hate the storage
    options so I would like to just rip them to huge hard drives and stream them
    as needed.

    Also, does Xbox provide progressive scan DVD playback (like the new Gateway
    and GoVideo networked DVD players?).

    Jay

    homer, Jul 16, 2003
  6. JK

    Gav Guest

    "homer" <> wrote in message news:<MO1Ra.103049$>...
    > What's it like streaming over ethernet? This is what I really want (so I
    > can more or less shove my media collections in a closet).

    You'd be better asking that in the Xbox groups where you can talk
    to people who are actually doing it. In theory there shouldn't be any
    degradation in quality as the box has a 100mbit/sec connection ...
    more than enough to meet the max bitrate of a DVD (10 mbit/sec).

    > I am interested primarily in streaming high bit rate mpeg2 files (ripped
    > dvds) and CD/DA (ripped CD that I don't want to encode). Would Xbox fit
    > this role? I have about 500 CDs and about 50 DVDs and hate the storage
    > options so I would like to just rip them to huge hard drives and stream them
    > as needed.
    >
    > Also, does Xbox provide progressive scan DVD playback (like the new Gateway
    > and GoVideo networked DVD players?).

    A modchipped box (which you will need to do all the media stuff)
    can output prog-scan and even hi-def signals with the appropriate
    cable pack.

    Gav

    Gav, Jul 16, 2003
  7. JK

    Frode Guest

    Frode, Jul 16, 2003
  8. JK

    SirScrub Guest

    DVDs look fan-freaking-tastic when played on the xbox.

    --
    SirScrub
    www.sirscrub.com

    SirScrub, Jul 16, 2003
  9. JK

    al kieda Guest

    "homer" <> wrote in message news:<XL1Ra.103040$>...
    > Gateway started selling a networked player a couple of weeks ago. GoVideo
    > will start selling one within the next month. The Wall Street Journal
    > reviewed them both (Gateway is preferred because of better controls and
    > cheaper price).
    >
    > Gateway's costs $250 while GoVideo costs $300. I believe both use the same
    > software.
    >
    > Unfortunately, although each can stream mpeg1 and 2 and MP3 files, they
    > cannot (as of yet) stream cd/da, which means I cannot stream unencoded audio
    > files (a la Turtle Beach's Audiotron). Don't know if Xbox will but if it
    > does, it would be the most robust solution out there.
    >
    > Jay
    >
    > "JK" <> wrote in message
    > > Are there more DVD-players like the Kiss 500 DVD ethernet?
    > > I like the technique, but I don't like the looks ...
    > >
    > > Anybody knows other brands, having an ethernet on board?
    > > Thanks,
    > > -JK

    CNET just did a review of the GoVideo player and gave it pretty good marks:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/GoVideo_D2730/4505-6473_7-20791423.html?tag=dir

    You should also check out the Oritron player.
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90123771&loc=111

    It claims to also support MPEG-4 and DivX.

    al kieda, Jul 18, 2003