    from the safety of across a pond the diminutive Kingfisher cannot
    escape the 40D, the Forgotten 400 w/the 1.4x TC, and the window clamp
    ballhead mounted on the new Altima.

    Annika1980, Jan 10, 2008

  2. Annika1980

    Scott W Guest

    On Jan 9, 2:37 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > They're small, they're fast, and they're flighty as hell, but even
    > from the safety of across a pond the diminutive Kingfisher cannot
    > escape the 40D, the Forgotten 400 w/the 1.4x TC, and the window clamp
    > ballhead mounted on the new Altima.

    Wonderful photo.

    Rita, take note that the sticks in the background are not showing up
    double, this is how a photo should look.

    Great capture Bret.

    Scott
    Scott W, Jan 10, 2008

  3. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 9, 7:47 pm, Scott W <> wrote:

    > >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91462097/original

    > Wonderful photo.
    >
    > Rita, take note that the sticks in the background are not showing up
    > double, this is how a photo should  look.

    Rita will claim the the Nikon must have twice the resolution of the
    Canon.
    Hence, the double sticks.
    Annika1980, Jan 10, 2008
  4. Annika1980

    PixelPix Guest

    On Jan 10, 10:49 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > On Jan 9, 7:47 pm, Scott W <> wrote:
    >
    > > >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91462097/original

    > > Wonderful photo.

    > > Rita, take note that the sticks in the background are not showing up
    > > double, this is how a photo should  look.

    > Rita will claim the the Nikon must have twice the resolution of the
    > Canon.
    > Hence, the double sticks.

    I think Rita enjoys being beaten with sticks! lol
    PixelPix, Jan 10, 2008
  5. "Scott W" <> wrote in message

    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91462097/original

    > Wonderful photo.
    > Rita, take note that the sticks in the background are not showing up
    > double, this is how a photo should look.
    > Great capture Bret.

    LOL!

    Sure, if it came straight out of the camera that way. We all know that it
    didn't. The kingfisher is so over Photoshoped that it lacks any detail and
    is lucky to have 16-colors. I'll stick with top notch images straight out
    of the camera and let the trickery up to the people that can't take a decent
    picture and need to draw them in Photoshop.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 10, 2008
  6. Annika1980

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Annika1980 is quoted & my replies are inline below :
    > They're small, they're fast, and they're flighty as hell, but even
    > from the safety of across a pond the diminutive Kingfisher cannot
    > escape the 40D, the Forgotten 400 w/the 1.4x TC, and the window clamp
    > ballhead mounted on the new Altima.

    That's a cracker of a shot! Love it. Good to see not much IQ
    lost with the 1.4x too.

    --
    Troy Piggins
    Please feel free to provide constructive criticism on any photos I post. I'm
    Troy Piggins, Jan 10, 2008
  7. Annika1980

    Guest

    On Jan 9, 7:37 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > They're small, they're fast, and they're flighty as hell, but even
    > from the safety of across a pond the diminutive Kingfisher cannot
    > escape the 40D, the Forgotten 400 w/the 1.4x TC, and the window clamp
    > ballhead mounted on the new Altima.

    I couldn't agree more with Scott in that this is how a photo should
    look.
    Gorgeous color and detail of the bird's feathers. Superb
    composition. Belted Kingfishers are extremely flighty, very fast and
    easily frightened.
    To die for capture.
    And FWIW, there is no "trickery" done here, because I KNOW how
    Kingfishers look.
    Just pure talent, diligence and patience from a great wildlife
    photographer.
    Helen
    , Jan 10, 2008
  8. Annika1980

    Bob AZ Guest

    , but even
    > from the safety of across a pond the diminutive Kingfisher cannot
    > escape the 40D, the Forgotten 400 w/the 1.4x TC, and the window clamp
    > ballhead mounted on the new Altima.

    Annika

    Should print nice. Will let you know.

    Where does one find Kingfishers?

    Bob AZ
    Bob AZ, Jan 10, 2008
  9. Annika1980

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Bob AZ is quoted & my replies are inline below :
    > , but even
    >> from the safety of across a pond the diminutive Kingfisher cannot
    >> escape the 40D, the Forgotten 400 w/the 1.4x TC, and the window clamp
    >> ballhead mounted on the new Altima.

    > Annika
    >
    > Should print nice. Will let you know.
    >
    > Where does one find Kingfishers?

    On their thronefishers?

    Sorry, that was terrible...

    Chasing their mistressfishers?

    Oh god, Troy. Stop now...

    Troy Piggins, Jan 10, 2008
  10. Annika1980

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:45:50 -0500, Rita Berkowitz wrote:

    > "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91462097/original

    >> Wonderful photo.
    >> Rita, take note that the sticks in the background are not showing up
    >> double, this is how a photo should look. Great capture Bret.

    > LOL!
    >
    > Sure, if it came straight out of the camera that way. We all know that
    > it didn't. The kingfisher is so over Photoshoped that it lacks any
    > detail and is lucky to have 16-colors. I'll stick with top notch images
    > straight out of the camera and let the trickery up to the people that
    > can't take a decent picture and need to draw them in Photoshop.
    >

    > Rita

    Sorry Rita, Your voice is muffled, could you open up the gap in your hat
    a little please.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l
    Neil Ellwood, Jan 10, 2008
  11. Annika1980

    Walter Banks Guest

    One finds Kingfishers flying away at a great rate of knots.
    There was a pair last summer nesting about 300 yards
    from my house. I have exactly one picture of a dot
    sitting on a wire.

    w..

    Walter Banks, Jan 10, 2008
  12. Annika1980

    Walter Banks Guest

    Well done..

    Walter Banks, Jan 10, 2008
  13. Annika1980

    Draco Guest

    On Jan 9, 7:37 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > They're small, they're fast, and they're flighty as hell, but even
    > from the safety of across a pond the diminutive Kingfisher cannot
    > escape the 40D, the Forgotten 400 w/the 1.4x TC, and the window clamp
    > ballhead mounted on the new Altima.

    Very good quality image of the Kingfisher. I placed it next to Rita's
    on screen and yours has a deeper, richer color saturation than does
    Rita's. Both are very sharp and given the focal lenths involved the
    backgrounds arenot very busy at all.
    Rita's does have a better angle of the light. But Bret's has a
    better saturation of color. Both are very good.

    Draco
    Draco, Jan 10, 2008
  14. Annika1980

    jean Guest

    "Neil Ellwood" <> a écrit dans le message de
    news: ...

    >>> Wonderful photo.
    >>> Rita, take note that the sticks in the background are not showing up
    >>> double, this is how a photo should look. Great capture Bret.

    >> LOL!
    >>
    >> Sure, if it came straight out of the camera that way. We all know that
    >> it didn't. The kingfisher is so over Photoshoped that it lacks any
    >> detail and is lucky to have 16-colors. I'll stick with top notch images
    >> straight out of the camera and let the trickery up to the people that
    >> can't take a decent picture and need to draw them in Photoshop.
    >>

    >> Rita

    > Sorry Rita, Your voice is muffled, could you open up the gap in your hat
    > a little please.

    Feet in mouth do that too.

    Jean
    jean, Jan 10, 2008
  15. Annika1980

    jean Guest

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91462097/original

    >> Wonderful photo.
    >> Rita, take note that the sticks in the background are not showing up
    >> double, this is how a photo should look.
    >> Great capture Bret.

    > LOL!
    >
    > Sure, if it came straight out of the camera that way. We all know that it
    > didn't. The kingfisher is so over Photoshoped that it lacks any detail
    > and
    > is lucky to have 16-colors. I'll stick with top notch images straight out
    > of the camera and let the trickery up to the people that can't take a
    > decent
    > picture and need to draw them in Photoshop.

    So phtoshop yours to see if it is better than Bret's!

    Jean
    jean, Jan 10, 2008
  16. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 10, 1:13 am, Bob AZ <> wrote:

    > Where does one find Kingfishers?

    Over creeks and ponds. You'll need a long lens because they are
    flighty buggers.
    Annika1980, Jan 10, 2008
  17. Annika1980

    jean Guest

    "Annika1980" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > They're small, they're fast, and they're flighty as hell, but even
    > from the safety of across a pond the diminutive Kingfisher cannot
    > escape the 40D, the Forgotten 400 w/the 1.4x TC, and the window clamp
    > ballhead mounted on the new Altima.

    EXIF data shows only the 400, was the TC on too? (not a Canon TC??)

    Jean
    jean, Jan 10, 2008
  18. Draco wrote:

    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/91462097/original

    > Very good quality image of the Kingfisher. I placed it next to Rita's
    > on screen and yours has a deeper, richer color saturation than does
    > Rita's. Both are very sharp and given the focal lenths involved the
    > backgrounds arenot very busy at all.

    I'm not sure how you can call either one sharp? Bret's was over processed
    and lacks detail and depth, natural or otherwise. My crop was taken from a
    100% image that was clearly beyond the range of having a usable image. This
    was taken handheld at 500mm and is a bit soft. There is no post processing
    other than cropping. Even with the blown highlights it has much more
    natural detail and depth.

    > Rita's does have a better angle of the light. But Bret's has a
    > better saturation of color. Both are very good.

    That's because when you try to create an animation in Photoshop you need to
    have skills sufficient enough to be able to get these small details good
    enough to pull of the deception.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 10, 2008
  19. jean wrote:

    >> Sure, if it came straight out of the camera that way. We all know
    >> that it didn't. The kingfisher is so over Photoshoped that it lacks
    >> any detail and
    >> is lucky to have 16-colors. I'll stick with top notch images
    >> straight out of the camera and let the trickery up to the people
    >> that can't take a decent
    >> picture and need to draw them in Photoshop.
    >>

    > So phtoshop yours to see if it is better than Bret's!

    NO! That's not the point or goal. I could do an animation like Bret's but
    that's not my goal. First off, this isn't a Photoshop group and I have no
    intentions of creating the plastic excrement that Bret puts out and try to
    pass them off as photographs.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 10, 2008
  20. Rita Berkowitz, Jan 10, 2008