King Kong (2005) - will there be a 4-DVD extended edition?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mark, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I was surprised to read that Peter Jackson's King Kong will only be a
    2-DVD edition when released on March 28th. I thought for sure we'd get
    a 4-DVD extended edition like his similarly long Lord of the Rings
    movies got from New Line, but then I realized this was a Universal
    rather than New Line release and that would be like expecting Toyota
    quality out of a US auto maker.

    Lately it seems Universal likes to announce 2-DVD editions (such as
    The Blues Brothers, The Frighteners DC, or Dune EE) and then decides
    to use a single DVD-18 (usually Made in Mexico which many people
    report having playback problems) in place of 2 DVD-9s.

    Does anyone know if we will only be getting a 2-DVD edition of King
    Kong this year or if Universal is planning a stealth double-dip with a
    4-DVD extended edition later this year?

    I have respect for New Line having the decency to announce the 4-DVD
    LOTR movies before the 2-DVD releases so I knew to wait, but I believe
    most other studios purposefully plan to double-dip. Unless I have
    reasonable confidence no 4-DVD edition is coming I'll have to pass on
    this upcoming release. I've been double and triple dipped by most
    studios too many times.

    Mark, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Mark

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:02:23 GMT, Mark <> wrote:

    >I was surprised to read that Peter Jackson's King Kong will only be a
    >2-DVD edition when released on March 28th. I thought for sure we'd get
    >a 4-DVD extended edition like his similarly long Lord of the Rings

    why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
    about that movie?

    AZ Nomad, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Mark

    Bratboy Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:02:23 GMT, Mark <> wrote:
    >

    >>I was surprised to read that Peter Jackson's King Kong will only be a
    >>2-DVD edition when released on March 28th. I thought for sure we'd get
    >>a 4-DVD extended edition like his similarly long Lord of the Rings

    > why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
    > about that movie?

    Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
    make the 2 of the 4 disc's. For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
    movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

    Bratboy, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Bratboy wrote:
    > "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:02:23 GMT, Mark <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I was surprised to read that Peter Jackson's King Kong will only be a
    >>>2-DVD edition when released on March 28th. I thought for sure we'd get
    >>>a 4-DVD extended edition like his similarly long Lord of the Rings

    >>why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
    >>about that movie?

    > Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
    > make the 2 of the 4 disc's. For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
    > movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

    In this case, though, we already got it before the theatrical movie:
    http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MCA029472

    Derek Janssen (...Nnnn-next question?)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 3, 2006
  5. Mark

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:52:12 -0700, Bratboy <> wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:02:23 GMT, Mark <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I was surprised to read that Peter Jackson's King Kong will only be a
    >>>2-DVD edition when released on March 28th. I thought for sure we'd get
    >>>a 4-DVD extended edition like his similarly long Lord of the Rings

    >> why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
    >> about that movie?

    >Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
    >make the 2 of the 4 disc's.

    four hours worth of extra scenes? I thought 45 minutes was usually about the
    limit.

    >For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
    >movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

    Are they even dual layer disks?

    AZ Nomad, Feb 3, 2006
  6. Mark

    Bratboy Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:52:12 -0700, Bratboy
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message

    >>> why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
    >>> about that movie?

    >>Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies
    >>that
    >>make the 2 of the 4 disc's.

    > four hours worth of extra scenes? I thought 45 minutes was usually about
    > the
    > limit.
    >

    >>For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
    >>movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

    > Are they even dual layer disks?

    I had to dig out my set to check for sure but with the LotR's extendeds the
    answer is yes. Disc 1 of FotR is just shy of 7 gig.

    Bratboy, Feb 3, 2006
  7. Mark

    selaboc Guest

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > >Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
    > >make the 2 of the 4 disc's.

    > four hours worth of extra scenes? I thought 45 minutes was usually about the
    > limit.

    No. that's about 4 hours counting the original running time (even in
    theathres the running time was nearly 3 hours) plus the added scenes
    (nearly a hours worth) which is a bit much to jam onto a single disc,
    so it's split between two discs with the other two holding all the
    other extras.

    selaboc, Feb 3, 2006
  8. Mark

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On 3 Feb 2006 12:25:35 -0800, selaboc <> wrote:

    >AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> >Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
    >> >make the 2 of the 4 disc's.

    >> four hours worth of extra scenes? I thought 45 minutes was usually about the
    >> limit.

    >No. that's about 4 hours counting the original running time (even in
    >theathres the running time was nearly 3 hours) plus the added scenes
    >(nearly a hours worth) which is a bit much to jam onto a single disc,
    >so it's split between two discs with the other two holding all the
    >other extras.

    4 hours is not too much for 2 disks, or even 3. Why 4?
    Is there 5 hours worth of extra stuff?

    AZ Nomad, Feb 3, 2006
  9. Mark

    Jay G. Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 22:18:48 GMT, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On 3 Feb 2006 12:25:35 -0800, selaboc <> wrote:
    >
    >>No. that's about 4 hours counting the original running time (even in
    >>theathres the running time was nearly 3 hours) plus the added scenes
    >>(nearly a hours worth) which is a bit much to jam onto a single disc,
    >>so it's split between two discs with the other two holding all the
    >>other extras.

    > 4 hours is not too much for 2 disks, or even 3. Why 4?
    > Is there 5 hours worth of extra stuff?

    In the case of ROTK, 4 hours is just the film itself, at a high video
    bitrate, with DTS 6.1 and DD 5.1EX surround tracks, a doubly surround
    track, and 4 audio commentaries. So the first 2 discs are packed.

    The next 2 discs are all extras, including documentaries that altoether
    total around 6 hours of material, not counting other extras and easter egss
    on the discs.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Feb 4, 2006
  10. Mark

    Jay G. Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:33:32 -0500, Derek Janssen wrote:

    > Bratboy wrote:
    >> "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message

    >>>why the **** would anybody want to watch eight hours worth of material
    >>>about that movie?

    >> Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
    >> make the 2 of the 4 disc's. For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
    >> movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

    > In this case, though, we already got it before the theatrical movie:
    > http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MCA029472

    None of those documentaries will be on the Kong DVD. As anyone who's seen
    those diaries can attest to, there's actually very little content about the
    movie itself in those documentaries. They're great though, and essential
    viewing for fans of filmmaking in general, even if you didn't like Kong.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Feb 4, 2006
  11. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 22:45:57 -0600, "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:

    >>> Well, at least in the past, PJ has added scene's to his extended movies that
    >>> make the 2 of the 4 disc's. For example all 3 of his LotR 4 disc sets - Each
    >>> movie is spread over 2 disc's and then the other 2 are extras and such.

    >> In this case, though, we already got it before the theatrical movie:
    >> http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MCA029472

    >None of those documentaries will be on the Kong DVD. As anyone who's seen
    >those diaries can attest to, there's actually very little content about the
    >movie itself in those documentaries. They're great though, and essential
    >viewing for fans of filmmaking in general, even if you didn't like Kong.

    The real question for me is this: is the likelihood of a double-dip
    with a 3 or 4 DVD edition very high? I'd like to know if I should buy
    the 2 DVD edition coming out in March or wait for a better edition.

    Obviously it's only a guess, but I was hoping someone "in the know"
    might have an idea how likely a 3 or 4 DVD edition is. If it were Fox
    or Sony I would say it's a virtual certainty, but Universal is a
    little harder to predict in this area.

    Mark, Feb 7, 2006
  12. Mark

    Jay G. Guest

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 06:42:44 GMT, Mark wrote:

    > The real question for me is this: is the likelihood of a double-dip
    > with a 3 or 4 DVD edition very high? I'd like to know if I should buy
    > the 2 DVD edition coming out in March or wait for a better edition.

    Jackson has said that he has 30-40 minutes of excised footage he could put
    into an extended cut, but has stated that Universal hasn't yet greenlit a
    longer cut.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Feb 8, 2006
  13. On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 22:45:09 -0600, "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 06:42:44 GMT, Mark wrote:
    >>
    >> The real question for me is this: is the likelihood of a double-dip
    >> with a 3 or 4 DVD edition very high? I'd like to know if I should buy
    >> the 2 DVD edition coming out in March or wait for a better edition.

    >Jackson has said that he has 30-40 minutes of excised footage he could put
    >into an extended cut, but has stated that Universal hasn't yet greenlit a
    >longer cut.
    >
    >-Jay

    One confired extra being added is a documentary about the plight of
    gorillas. Jackson has teamed up with the International Gorilla
    Conservation Program to help prevent the extinction of the species
    which in the case of the mountain gorilla, is estimated to number less
    than 1000, in the wild. Andy Serkis, has recently become a trustee of
    the Diane Fossey Gorilla Fund and numerous film crew members have
    joined an "adopt-a-gorilla" scheme.

    Charles
    nzvideos.org

    Charles Eggen, Feb 8, 2006
  14. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:08:16 -0800, Charles Eggen <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 22:45:09 -0600, "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:
    >>On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 06:42:44 GMT, Mark wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The real question for me is this: is the likelihood of a double-dip
    >>> with a 3 or 4 DVD edition very high? I'd like to know if I should buy
    >>> the 2 DVD edition coming out in March or wait for a better edition.

    >>Jackson has said that he has 30-40 minutes of excised footage he could put
    >>into an extended cut, but has stated that Universal hasn't yet greenlit a
    >>longer cut.

    >One confired extra being added is a documentary about the plight of
    >gorillas. Jackson has teamed up with the International Gorilla
    >Conservation Program to help prevent the extinction of the species
    >which in the case of the mountain gorilla, is estimated to number less
    >than 1000, in the wild. Andy Serkis, has recently become a trustee of
    >the Diane Fossey Gorilla Fund and numerous film crew members have
    >joined an "adopt-a-gorilla" scheme.
    >
    >Charles
    >nzvideos.org

    Is this extra you mention being added to the 2-DVD edition coming out
    in March or are you saying you have information confirming that there
    will be a more extensive King Kong edition coming out later?

    Mark, Feb 9, 2006
  15. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 05:20:43 GMT, ies (Mark) wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:08:16 -0800, Charles Eggen <> wrote:

    >>>Jackson has said that he has 30-40 minutes of excised footage he could put
    >>>into an extended cut, but has stated that Universal hasn't yet greenlit a
    >>>longer cut.

    >>One confired extra being added is a documentary about the plight of
    >>gorillas. Jackson has teamed up with the International Gorilla
    >>Conservation Program to help prevent the extinction of the species
    >>which in the case of the mountain gorilla, is estimated to number less
    >>than 1000, in the wild. Andy Serkis, has recently become a trustee of
    >>the Diane Fossey Gorilla Fund and numerous film crew members have
    >>joined an "adopt-a-gorilla" scheme.
    >>
    >>Charles
    >>nzvideos.org

    >Is this extra you mention being added to the 2-DVD edition coming out
    >in March or are you saying you have information confirming that there
    >will be a more extensive King Kong edition coming out later?

    Yes to the former, no to the latter.

    Charles
    nzvideos.org

    Charles Eggen, Feb 9, 2006
  16. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Under the 2/14/06 and 2/13/06 updates at the rumor mill on
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

    It says there are rumors of extended editions of both The Chronicles
    of Narnia and King Kong.

    I hate to say it, but this is exactly what I expected. The decent
    thing would be for the studios to announce it officially, but I think
    many studios do their best to hide their pre-planned double/triple
    dips from the public. Tricking people into buying multiple versions of
    the same movie seems to be an integral part of the marketing strategy,
    and it offends me greatly.

    I'm surprised the studios allowed these rumors to slip out in the
    first place because now I won't buy either The Chronicles of Narnia or
    King Kong when they are released in March and April. I'll have to wait
    another 6 months to a year to get the extended editions they should've
    released in the first place. It seems like the studios' strategies
    lately are trying to turn people into renters instead of buyers. It's
    very rare that you can buy the first DD release of any movie these
    days without a high probability of a double dip. Just my opinions.

    Mark, Feb 15, 2006
  17. Mark wrote:

    > Under the 2/14/06 and 2/13/06 updates at the rumor mill on
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
    >
    > It says there are rumors of extended editions of both The Chronicles
    > of Narnia and King Kong.
    >
    > I'm surprised the studios allowed these rumors to slip out in the
    > first place because now I won't buy either The Chronicles of Narnia or
    > King Kong when they are released in March and April. I'll have to wait
    > another 6 months to a year to get the extended editions they should've
    > released in the first place. It seems like the studios' strategies
    > lately are trying to turn people into renters instead of buyers. It's
    > very rare that you can buy the first DD release of any movie these
    > days without a high probability of a double dip. Just my opinions.

    Since these arguments date back to our fond old-school memories of
    "Huh?--Two versions of LOTR?...Why don't they put them both out right
    away??" and "Hey, why won't George Lucas put out Episode 1?", it's
    rather convenient to note that they were *both* answered by the single
    response, "Because they haven't FINISHED making the new scenes yet."

    In Narnia's case, it's that Adamson is too busy and would rather finish
    work on a *new* film before making an old one, and not that Peter
    Jackson's plate is particularly empty as we speak, either.

    ....It may be oversimplifying to say, but "THAT'S why."

    Derek Janssen (sometimes, the answers we seek lie in the past)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 15, 2006
  18. Mark wrote:
    > It seems like the studios' strategies
    > lately are trying to turn people into renters instead of buyers. It's
    > very rare that you can buy the first DD release of any movie these
    > days without a high probability of a double dip.

    ....Why?--What was WRONG with the Daredevil: Extended Edition?

    Derek Janssen (what, some "Ben Affleck is evil" thing?)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 15, 2006
  19. Mark

    Justin Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote on [Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:08:42 -0500]:
    > Mark wrote:
    >> It seems like the studios' strategies
    >> lately are trying to turn people into renters instead of buyers. It's
    >> very rare that you can buy the first DD release of any movie these
    >> days without a high probability of a double dip.

    > ...Why?--What was WRONG with the Daredevil: Extended Edition?

    Apart from the movie sucking?

    Justin, Feb 16, 2006
  20. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:40:03 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Mark wrote:
    >> I'm surprised the studios allowed these rumors to slip out in the
    >> first place because now I won't buy either The Chronicles of Narnia or
    >> King Kong when they are released in March and April. I'll have to wait
    >> another 6 months to a year to get the extended editions they should've
    >> released in the first place. It seems like the studios' strategies
    >> lately are trying to turn people into renters instead of buyers. It's
    >> very rare that you can buy the first DD release of any movie these
    >> days without a high probability of a double dip. Just my opinions.

    >Since these arguments date back to our fond old-school memories of
    >"Huh?--Two versions of LOTR?...Why don't they put them both out right
    >away??" and "Hey, why won't George Lucas put out Episode 1?", it's
    >rather convenient to note that they were *both* answered by the single
    >response, "Because they haven't FINISHED making the new scenes yet."
    >
    >In Narnia's case, it's that Adamson is too busy and would rather finish
    >work on a *new* film before making an old one, and not that Peter
    >Jackson's plate is particularly empty as we speak, either.
    >
    >...It may be oversimplifying to say, but "THAT'S why."

    Well, that would explain the delay in the release of the extended
    editions for these movies, but if the studios know they are going to
    be doing extended editions they should publicly announce these plans
    before the first releases come out so people who don't want to have to
    double-dip can wait.

    The problem is I never know when to buy because I don't know if a
    better edition is coming out soon, but if I wait then sometimes better
    editions don't occur and I waited for nothing. Since I'm backlogged on
    things I want to watch, I've been erring on the side of waiting.

    Mark, Feb 16, 2006