King Kong (1933): Region 2.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    I am anxiously awaiting the rumored Region 1, "2-Disk Special Edition"
    of _King Kong_ (1933) that Warner is supposedly going to release in
    2004. But what's going on here? The original _King Kong_ was part of the
    RKO catalog, which was bought by Turner and now Time-Warner owns the
    title.

    However, the details for the Region 2 DVD say that Universal Pictures is
    also involved. (I know that this is not a misprint because I have
    actually held this Region 2 DVD in my hand and read the back cover):

    Technical Information

    Release Information:
    Studio: Universal Pictures Video
    DVD Release Date: 1 January, 2001
    Run Time: 100 minutes

    Edition Details:
    .. Region 2 encoding (Europe, Middle East & Japan only)
    .. PAL, Black & White
    .. ASIN: B0000558OS
    .. Catalogue Number: 0780802

    This review sounds pretty good:

    "On the DVD: Although a little light on extras, this is happily the
    Director's Cut, restoring scenes that were censored after the film's
    original 1933 run, including Kong peeling off Fay Wray's clothes like a
    banana, and our hirsute hero using unfortunate natives as dental floss.
    The ratio of 4:3 is correct for a film of this age; the picture and
    (mono) sound are perfectly acceptable without being revelatory. The
    25-minute "making of" documentary from 1992 is a 60th anniversary
    tribute to the film, which details all of Kong's many ground-breaking
    contributions to cinema, from Willis O'Brien's use of stop-motion and
    rear projection effects to Max Steiner's music score. There are
    contributions from film historians, modern admirers of the film
    including composer Jerry Goldsmith--who admits that Steiner created a
    template that Hollywood composers are still following--and a few
    surviving participants such as sound effects man Murray Spivak.
    Apparently, director Merian C. Cooper's original idea was to capture
    live gorillas, transport them to the island of Komodo and film them
    fighting the giant lizards! Thanks to Willis O'Brien's pioneering
    effects work good sense prevailed and a cinema classic was born. --Mark
    Walker"

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...S/tech-info/ref=ed_tec_dp/026-7144370-9181234
    Scot Gardner, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Scot Gardner

    mazinz Guest

    well it could be that universal has the rights to it outside the US
    mazinz, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Scot Gardner

    jayembee Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    >I am anxiously awaiting the rumored Region 1, "2-Disk Special Edition"
    >of _King Kong_ (1933) that Warner is supposedly going to release in
    >2004. But what's going on here? The original _King Kong_ was part of the
    >RKO catalog, which was bought by Turner and now Time-Warner owns the
    >title.
    >
    >However, the details for the Region 2 DVD say that Universal Pictures is
    >also involved. (I know that this is not a misprint because I have
    >actually held this Region 2 DVD in my hand and read the back cover):

    It has to do with distribution deals made long ago. I'm stunned that
    you don't know this, as it's one of the major reasons for region
    coding.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    >... the details for the Region 2 DVD say that Universal Pictures
    >is also involved. (I know that this is not a misprint because
    >I have actually held this Region 2 DVD in my hand and read
    >the back cover):

    <<It has to do with distribution deals made long ago. I'm stunned that
    you don't know this, as it's one of the major reasons for region
    coding. -- jayembee>>

    Well, that's a relief.

    I was afraid that Universal might have a hand in the film restoration
    and mastering of the new DVD. I would hate to have that happen, after
    seeing some of the latest Universal DVDs.
    Scot Gardner, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "mazinz" <> wrote in message
    > well it could be that universal has the rights to it outside the US

    True, at least in the case of the German _King Kong_ DVD.

    Strange things happen in Germany. I have a German import James Taylor CD
    called _James Taylor Classic Songs_ which is on the CBS/WEA label.

    The first 8 songs were only available in the States on Warner and the
    last 8 were only available in the States on Columbia. But in Germany,
    CBS and Warner-Elektra-Asylum joined to make this CD.

    And of course, this import CD has a booklet which includes the lyrics to
    all of the songs.
    Scot Gardner, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Scot Gardner

    Robert Kent Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    I am anxiously awaiting the rumored Region 1, "2-Disk Special Edition"
    of _King Kong_ (1933) that Warner is supposedly going to release in
    2004. But what's going on here? The original _King Kong_ was part of the
    RKO catalog, which was bought by Turner and now Time-Warner owns the
    title.

    I heard that King Kong is now in the public domain. Does anyone know if this
    is true?
    Robert Kent, Jan 19, 2004
  7. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Robert Kent" <> wrote in message

    > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > I heard that King Kong is now in the public domain. Does anyone know
    > if this is true?

    My guess is that this can't be true.

    All of the off-brands (such as Madacy, Delta, USA, Laserlight and
    Brentwood) would have released their inferior $7.99 versions by now.
    Scot Gardner, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Scot Gardner

    jayembee Guest

    "Robert Kent" <> wrote:

    >I heard that King Kong is now in the public domain. Does anyone
    >know if this is true?

    Where the hell did you hear that. It's definitely NOT true.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Scot Gardner

    Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:16:59 -0800, "Scot Gardner"
    <> wrote:

    >I am anxiously awaiting the rumored Region 1, "2-Disk Special Edition"
    >of _King Kong_ (1933) that Warner is supposedly going to release in
    >2004. But what's going on here? The original _King Kong_ was part of the
    >RKO catalog, which was bought by Turner and now Time-Warner owns the
    >title.
    >
    >However, the details for the Region 2 DVD say that Universal Pictures is
    >also involved. (I know that this is not a misprint because I have
    >actually held this Region 2 DVD in my hand and read the back cover):
    >
    >Technical Information
    >
    >Release Information:
    >Studio: Universal Pictures Video
    >DVD Release Date: 1 January, 2001
    >Run Time: 100 minutes
    >
    >Edition Details:
    >. Region 2 encoding (Europe, Middle East & Japan only)
    >. PAL, Black & White
    >. ASIN: B0000558OS
    >. Catalogue Number: 0780802
    >
    >This review sounds pretty good:
    >
    >"On the DVD: Although a little light on extras, this is happily the
    >Director's Cut, restoring scenes that were censored after the film's
    >original 1933 run, including Kong peeling off Fay Wray's clothes like a
    >banana, and our hirsute hero using unfortunate natives as dental floss.
    >The ratio of 4:3 is correct for a film of this age; the picture and
    >(mono) sound are perfectly acceptable without being revelatory. The
    >25-minute "making of" documentary from 1992 is a 60th anniversary
    >tribute to the film, which details all of Kong's many ground-breaking
    >contributions to cinema, from Willis O'Brien's use of stop-motion and
    >rear projection effects to Max Steiner's music score. There are
    >contributions from film historians, modern admirers of the film
    >including composer Jerry Goldsmith--who admits that Steiner created a
    >template that Hollywood composers are still following--and a few
    >surviving participants such as sound effects man Murray Spivak.
    >Apparently, director Merian C. Cooper's original idea was to capture
    >live gorillas, transport them to the island of Komodo and film them
    >fighting the giant lizards! Thanks to Willis O'Brien's pioneering
    >effects work good sense prevailed and a cinema classic was born. --Mark
    >Walker"
    >
    >http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...S/tech-info/ref=ed_tec_dp/026-7144370-9181234

    This is a fine transfer,....

    S.
    , Jan 19, 2004
  10. Scot Gardner

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Scot Gardner <> wrote:

    > My guess is that this can't be true.

    By my reckoning, worldwide "out of coypright" is 2008...
    Peter Briggs, Jan 19, 2004
  11. Scot Gardner

    Robert Kent Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert Kent" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I heard that King Kong is now in the public domain. Does anyone
    > >know if this is true?

    > Where the hell did you hear that. It's definitely NOT true.

    I saw a couple copies of King Kong at a video store and they had different
    labels. Someone commented that that was because the copyright had expired
    and other companies could sell it.
    Robert Kent, Jan 19, 2004
  12. Any chance that the sequel, "Son of Kong" might be on the "2-Disk Special
    Edition"? (Or, that it might be released spearately...?)

    Richard Gordon, Jan 22, 2004
  13. Scot Gardner

    jayembee Guest

    "Robert Kent" <> wrote:

    > "jayembee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Robert Kent" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I heard that King Kong is now in the public domain.
    >>> Does anyone know if this is true?

    >> Where the hell did you hear that. It's definitely NOT true.

    > I saw a couple copies of King Kong at a video store and
    > they had different labels. Someone commented that that
    > was because the copyright had expired and other companies
    > could sell it.

    Nope. Sorry. The thing is that the rights to the RKO catalog
    has changed hands over the years, and with each change, the
    home video licenses get sold to different labels.

    Back in the 80s, whoever owned the RKO catalog (RKO itself?
    I'm not sure) licensed their titles to several smaller labels
    on tape and LD. One of my earlier pre-recorded videotape
    (Beta) purchases, for example, was KING KONG on the Nostalgia
    Merchant label. And the earliest editions on LD came from
    both Image Entertainment and Criterion.

    But when Ted Turner acquired the RKO catalog in the mid-80s,
    his own company, Turner Home Entertainment, started releasing
    the RKO titles, including KONG, on VHS and LD. Eventually,
    when Turner got into bed with AOL-Time Warner, they got ahold
    of the catalog, and the most recent VHS release (from just a
    few years ago) came from Warner Home Video.

    So, I suspect that the "different labels" you saw at the video
    store were releases from different points in time.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jan 22, 2004