Kinect sells 1 million units in 10 days

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughlin, Nov 16, 2010.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Nov 16, 2010

  2. In message
    <>, Nik
    Coughlin wrote:

    > Just another Microsoft lemon I guess

    Wonder why they made so much fuss over the open-source drivers. The only
    conclusion I could come up with was that they must be selling these at a
    loss.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 16, 2010

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    On Nov 17, 11:37 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Nik
    >
    > Coughlin wrote:
    > > Just another Microsoft lemon I guess

    > Wonder why they made so much fuss over the open-source drivers. The only
    > conclusion I could come up with was that they must be selling these at a
    > loss.

    Presumably, yeah. Operating under the razor blade model:
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_and_blades_business_model>

    I wonder if they couldn't have sold a version intended to be used in
    other ecosystems at a higher price to allow for that.

    I can't think of any precendents offhand but I'm sure there are some.
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 16, 2010
  4. In message
    <>, Nik
    Coughlin wrote:

    > I wonder if they couldn't have sold a version intended to be used in
    > other ecosystems at a higher price to allow for that.

    Too late!
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 17, 2010
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    On Nov 17, 3:07 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin"  wrote in message

    > > On Nov 17, 11:37 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > > > In message
    > > > <>, Nik

    > > > Wonder why they made so much fuss over the open-source drivers.

    > Hmmm...Some two-bit  company in NYC that sells electronic parts decides to
    > exploit Microsoft's intellectual property, so it offers a $3000 bounty to
    > any hacker who can crack the Kinect code. Excellent business model! Just
    > what I'd expect from Larry D'Loser.
    >
    > > The only
    > > > conclusion I could come up with was that they must be selling these at a
    > > > loss.

    > > Presumably, yeah.

    > Yeah, right. Kinect is going to earn Microsoft a fortune -- hackers or no
    > hackers.

    It's reasonably likely that they're selling the hardware at or below
    cost and recouping this from software, it's normal practice in this
    business space.

    It's some pretty amazing technology, I'm very impressed.
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 17, 2010
  6. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    On Nov 17, 5:44 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin"  wrote in message
    > On Nov 17, 3:07 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > > > "Nik Coughlin"  wrote in message

    > > > Hmmm...Some two-bit  company in NYC that sells electronic parts decides
    > > > exploit Microsoft's intellectual property, so it offers a $3000 bounty
    > > > any hacker who can crack the Kinect code. Excellent business model! Just
    > > > what I'd expect from Larry D'Loser.

    > > > Yeah, right. Kinect is going to earn Microsoft a fortune -- hackers or
    > > > no
    > > > hackers.

    > > It's reasonably likely that they're selling the hardware at or below
    > > cost and recouping this from software, it's normal practice in this
    > > business space.

    > The Kinect hardware sells for US$149. That's hardly a giveaway price.  Once
    > source estimates the component costs  to be no more than US$56,  leaving
    > plenty to cover R&D, marketing, production, and a tidy payout to
    > shareholders.

    > > It's some pretty amazing technology, I'm very impressed.

    Ah well, I was only guessing that it was selling at a loss, I'm even
    more impressed now.

    All these people decrying everything Microsoft comes out with lately
    make me shake my head in wonder, the new versions of .NET, C#, Windows
    7, WP7, they're all very, very nice to work with.

    Almost makes you think they've taken an ideological stance against
    anything Microsoft without actually personally comparing using them.
    Surely not.
    Nik Coughlin, Nov 17, 2010
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Richard Guest

    On 17/11/2010 5:44 p.m., impossible wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin" wrote in message
    >
    > On Nov 17, 3:07 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> > "Nik Coughlin" wrote in message

    >> <>, >

    >> > Hmmm...Some two-bit company in NYC that sells electronic parts

    >> decides > to
    >> > exploit Microsoft's intellectual property, so it offers a $3000

    >> bounty > to
    >> > any hacker who can crack the Kinect code. Excellent business model!

    >> Just
    >> > what I'd expect from Larry D'Loser.

    >> these > > > at a

    >> > Yeah, right. Kinect is going to earn Microsoft a fortune -- hackers

    >> or > no
    >> > hackers.

    >> It's reasonably likely that they're selling the hardware at or below
    >> cost and recouping this from software, it's normal practice in this
    >> business space.
    >>

    > The Kinect hardware sells for US$149. That's hardly a giveaway price.
    > Once source estimates the component costs to be no more than US$56,
    > leaving plenty to cover R&D, marketing, production, and a tidy payout to
    > shareholders.
    >
    > http://www.ubmtechinsights.com/repo...market-reports/Report-Profile/?ReportKey=7084
    >

    >> It's some pretty amazing technology, I'm very impressed.

    We dont know the licensing costs or terms for the IP in those chips and
    the software that goes on the xbox end of it.

    May very well be at a loss, or else the hackers are now using the stuff
    out of the terms of the license which may cause microsoft problems since
    they didnt do enough to protect it.
    Richard, Nov 17, 2010
  8. In message
    <>, Nik
    Coughlin wrote:

    > All these people decrying everything Microsoft comes out with lately
    > make me shake my head in wonder ...

    Who was doing that? All I asked was: why were Microsoft making legal threats
    against those who just wanted to make their own use of their own
    legitimately-purchased Kinect hardware?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 17, 2010
  9. Nik Coughlin

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <0f167bee-5c0e-4773-86ba-941363660df4
    @z19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, , Nik Coughlin says...

    > On Nov 17, 5:44 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > > "Nik Coughlin"  wrote in message

    > > > It's reasonably likely that they're selling the hardware at or below
    > > > cost and recouping this from software, it's normal practice in this
    > > > business space.

    > > The Kinect hardware sells for US$149. That's hardly a giveaway price.  Once
    > > source estimates the component costs  to be no more than US$56,  leaving
    > > plenty to cover R&D, marketing, production, and a tidy payout to
    > > shareholders.

    > > > It's some pretty amazing technology, I'm very impressed.

    > Ah well, I was only guessing that it was selling at a loss, I'm even
    > more impressed now.
    >
    > All these people decrying everything Microsoft comes out with lately
    > make me shake my head in wonder, the new versions of .NET, C#, Windows
    > 7, WP7, they're all very, very nice to work with.

    Speaking of which, I tried out the IE9 beta - wow! Lightening fast,
    reasonably CSS3 compliant LOL, clean looks. Might have to ditch Google
    Chrome - infact I already have LOL.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 17, 2010
  10. Re: Kinect sells 1 million units in 10 days, Does it Really Matter.?

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:04:21 -0800 (PST), Nik Coughlin
    <>

    How boring this posting about a Crap MS product.
    William Brown, Nov 17, 2010
  11. In message <ibvs48$pde$>, EMB wrote:

    > On 17/11/2010 11:37 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message
    >> <>, Nik
    >> Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just another Microsoft lemon I guess

    >> Wonder why they made so much fuss over the open-source drivers. The only
    >> conclusion I could come up with was that they must be selling these at a
    >> loss.

    > That seems extremely doubtful.

    So the question remains. With such a successful product, there would surely
    be no need to act like a jerk about it. Yet that’s what they did.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 17, 2010
  12. In message <ic02na$v50$>, EMB wrote:

    > On 17/11/2010 8:53 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> That seems extremely doubtful.

    >> So the question remains. With such a successful product, there would
    >> surely be no need to act like a jerk about it. Yet that’s what they did.

    > Buggy unproven software from some furry-toothed hacker nerd is likely to
    > devalue the product image.

    Is that an excuse for Microsoft to make legal threats against those who just
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 17, 2010
  13. Nik Coughlin

    Richard Guest

    >> Buggy unproven software from some furry-toothed hacker nerd is likely to
    >> devalue the product image.

    > Is that an excuse for Microsoft to make legal threats against those who just
    > wanted to make their own use of their own legitimately-purchased Kinect
    > hardware?

    Its a camera in a loungeroom where kids are playing, and people are
    talking about hacking it. Go figure they dont want it to be seen to be
    hacked.

    Bad choice of words, but I suspect done to get attention.

    If they announced they would be re-purposing the controller, or making
    it compatible with open source software, it would not have got anywhere
    near the press it did. Couple the "hacking" with ignorant legal team at
    microsoft and you have a PR goldmine for adafruit. Well played on their
    part I think.
    Richard, Nov 17, 2010