Kilowatt Computers;

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Sep 4, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    There sure is a difference between power-sipping boxen like the EEE bow
    which would be hard-pressed to pull 30W from the wall outlet and the PCs
    described here:

    "Nvidia, AMD gaming graphics buck green-PC trend"

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10028703-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

    Some of which have 1.2KW PSUs and can pull 800W for GPUs alone. That's some
    serious power consumption and not the sort of machine you'd leave running
    24/7. Maybe run an EEE Box for torrents, email and browsing and just fire up
    the beast for games. Actually, that approach would probably save power in
    the long run as opposed to running a mid-powered machine 24/7.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 4, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing2" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> There sure is a difference between power-sipping boxen like the EEE
    >> bow which would be hard-pressed to pull 30W from the wall outlet and
    >> the PCs described here:
    >>
    >> "Nvidia, AMD gaming graphics buck green-PC trend"
    >>
    >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10028703-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
    >>
    >> Some of which have 1.2KW PSUs and can pull 800W for GPUs alone.
    >> That's some serious power consumption and not the sort of machine
    >> you'd leave running 24/7. Maybe run an EEE Box for torrents, email
    >> and browsing and just fire up the beast for games. Actually, that
    >> approach would probably save power in the long run as opposed to
    >> running a mid-powered machine 24/7.

    > Yep....for this I think I'd head for a basic laptop myself...buy a
    > separate screen, keyboard and mouse and its then portable as well if
    > needed....in-built battery keeps it going for those critical
    > downloads....
    > ;]

    Heh! Yeah, good point. However I'm talking 'Atom' based machines, very
    frugal with power, and I don't know about availability in laptop format.
    Also, laptops tend to cost more than desktop boxen.and can be limited when
    it comes to external resolution.

    <g> Also, I don't get out much so portability wouldn't be an issue and
    conflicts a bit with the '24/7 running' concept. Battery back-up would be
    good although when the power's out chances are the 'net's not accessable.

    I was thinking an EEE box, maybe with an external USB HDD for 'data'. LOL,
    not that I can afford either mind you. ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    impossible Guest

    "thing2" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> There sure is a difference between power-sipping boxen like the EEE bow
    >> which would be hard-pressed to pull 30W from the wall outlet and the PCs
    >> described here:
    >>
    >> "Nvidia, AMD gaming graphics buck green-PC trend"
    >>
    >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10028703-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
    >>
    >> Some of which have 1.2KW PSUs and can pull 800W for GPUs alone. That's
    >> some serious power consumption and not the sort of machine you'd leave
    >> running 24/7. Maybe run an EEE Box for torrents, email and browsing and
    >> just fire up the beast for games. Actually, that approach would probably
    >> save power in the long run as opposed to running a mid-powered machine
    >> 24/7.

    > Yep....for this I think I'd head for a basic laptop myself...buy a
    > separate screen, keyboard and mouse and its then portable as well if
    > needed....in-built battery keeps it going for those critical downloads....

    Which, of course, explains why you opted yourself to buy an eneregy-guzzling
    AMD 6000-6400+...

    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/7c68569a45a42696

    .....and why your pet parott ~misfit~ applauded your selection. Then, too,
    you'll both be back here soon reporting that you've decided to upgrade to
    one of the same ultra-energy-guzzling graphics cards you now smirk at. Just
    admit it: you don't give a toss about energy conservation, but the gameware
    you want is just too pricey for you.
    impossible, Sep 5, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing2" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing2" typed:

    >>> Yep....for this I think I'd head for a basic laptop myself...buy a
    >>> separate screen, keyboard and mouse and its then portable as well if
    >>> needed....in-built battery keeps it going for those critical
    >>> downloads....
    >>> ;]

    >> Heh! Yeah, good point. However I'm talking 'Atom' based machines,
    >> very frugal with power, and I don't know about availability in
    >> laptop format. Also, laptops tend to cost more than desktop boxen.

    > A basic Acer or compaq laptop at DSE is $700...

    Don't go there.... Suffice it to say that I'm just cooking up a batch of
    'weed soup', stinging nettles, dandelions and sow thistle ("puha") with an
    onion and a potato. (Great for the health BTW, especially the nettles.)

    > and can be limited when
    >> it comes to external resolution.

    > How high a resolution do you need for a video and Internet machine
    > though?

    Not massive but it's good to get enough on-screen at a time so you don't
    have to do excess scrolling.

    >> <g> Also, I don't get out much so portability wouldn't be an issue
    >> and conflicts a bit with the '24/7 running' concept. Battery back-up
    >> would be good although when the power's out chances are the 'net's
    >> not accessable. I was thinking an EEE box, maybe with an external USB HDD
    >> for
    >> 'data'. LOL, not that I can afford either mind you. ;-)

    > I need to take a look at the EEE box...we are looking at wyse
    > terminals for a job/duty which are overpriced IMHO...

    Mmmmm. That Atom board that oneofus linked to at Ascent is bloody good...

    http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=366857

    I didn't know it was available locally (didn't look truth be told). In
    reviews I've read the biggest complaint is using old-tech chipset with
    new-tech CPU. The NB consumes way more power than the CPU. In the pic the
    big HS with the fan is the NB, the little passive 'sink is the CPU.

    LOL, it has the 'P4' 12V connector for the CPU power! And they say Americans
    don't get irony. <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "oneofus" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing2" typed:

    >>> Yep....for this I think I'd head for a basic laptop myself...buy a
    >>> separate screen, keyboard and mouse and its then portable as well if
    >>> needed....in-built battery keeps it going for those critical
    >>> downloads....
    >>> ;]

    >> Heh! Yeah, good point. However I'm talking 'Atom' based machines,
    >> very frugal with power, and I don't know about availability in
    >> laptop format. Also, laptops tend to cost more than desktop
    >> boxen.and can be limited when it comes to external resolution.
    >>
    >> <g> Also, I don't get out much so portability wouldn't be an issue
    >> and conflicts a bit with the '24/7 running' concept. Battery back-up
    >> would be good although when the power's out chances are the 'net's
    >> not accessable. I was thinking an EEE box, maybe with an external USB HDD
    >> for
    >> 'data'. LOL, not that I can afford either mind you. ;-)
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > There are several Atom powered sub notebooks around now with 8.9-10"
    > screens, selling for ~$800
    > http://www.liliputing.com/liliputers
    > $746 for the Acer

    I figured that there might be by now. I've been conspicuously avoiding
    finding out actually.

    <digression>

    I've just hit the credit card with some gardening essentials. I decided
    that, with food prices going up and all, I'd grow my own food as much as
    possible from now on. Except that it's costing me a bloody fortune to set
    up. I need raised beds as I can't bend down too well.... It's amazing what
    you can do when you have compromised health if you have the time, and can
    stop when it hurts too much and go back to it later. It'll take a few years
    for the investment to pay off but I'm looking forward to eating fresh,
    home-grown veges again. (Dad used to garden.)

    Toying with the idea of a few hens... Expensive to set up though..

    </digression>

    > I'm posting with an Asus eee 4g which is $398 at DSE

    Wow! That *is* cheap!

    > plus a 16GB SD
    > card that I can leave on all night for torrents, its 22W and I have
    > it set up so I can close the lid and use it with KVM at home.

    That sounds awesome actually. Unfortunately my dreams are reigned in by my
    wallet.

    > There
    > is a huge amount of support for them at the eeeuser.com wiki
    > I'm just waiting for the eeebox to appear in the regular retail
    > channels, or I might just make one with the Intel Atom motherboard
    > and a n itx case
    >
    > Check this one, you can probably stick it in wit some case and
    > hardware you have already as a low consumption box
    > http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=366857

    That is bloody brilliant! Cheap too. (I've seen reviews of it but didn't
    know it was available locally at a reasonable price, see my reply to thing.)

    All we need now is a line of power supplies designed for efficiency and
    sub-100W. If I powered that board with one of the generic 400W PSUs I have
    lying around the PSU would probably use more power than the mobo.

    Cheers,
    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "oneofus" typed:

    [snip]

    > I'm posting with an Asus eee 4g which is $398 at DSE

    Heh! I'm a DSE VIP (Woohooo!) and when I log into this page:

    <http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XC5818>

    It tells me the regular price is $398.00 but the VIP price is $0.00

    Unfortunately there is an E&OE claus at the bottom of the page. :-(
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "oneofus" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "oneofus" typed:
    >>> Check this one, you can probably stick it in wit some case and
    >>> hardware you have already as a low consumption box
    >>> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=366857

    >> That is bloody brilliant! Cheap too. (I've seen reviews of it but
    >> didn't know it was available locally at a reasonable price, see my
    >> reply to thing.) All we need now is a line of power supplies designed for
    >> efficiency
    >> and sub-100W. If I powered that board with one of the generic 400W
    >> PSUs I have lying around the PSU would probably use more power than
    >> the mobo.

    > Can't see why, a switching PSU should only be drawing what its load
    > uses, and it comes in handy for the drives

    It depends on the quality of the PSU. I've seen figures on PSUs that are *on
    average* 85% efficient that drop to ~60% at really low draw situations.

    > There are some DC-DC dongles which will allow you to run these boards
    > off a 12V external adapter.
    > http://www.itx.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=338

    Handy. Shame about the price though.

    > That restricts you a bit with drives, and is probably why the eeebox
    > has a laptop HD.

    Yeah, that and the fact that a modern laptop drive is all the EEE box would
    need. It's on a 133MHz FSB and, with a modern desktop drive the thing would
    probably be bottle-necked by the RAM / chipset speed anyway. The current
    crop of lappy HDDs are pretty good, more than adequate for a machine of
    these specs.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing2" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > 8><----
    >
    >> Don't go there.... Suffice it to say that I'm just cooking up a
    >> batch of 'weed soup', stinging nettles, dandelions and sow thistle
    >> ("puha") with an onion and a potato. (Great for the health BTW,
    >> especially the nettles.)

    > hey, my Grandmother if she was still alive would have fought you for
    > that concoction....sow thistle, hmmm I dont know about but the rest
    > are reputed to have good medicinal properties.

    Yeah, sow thistle, nettles and dandelions are all great for you. I don't eat
    just any weeds. ;-)

    Young tender nettles are supposed to give your system a real boost, 'wake it
    up' for summer after a cold wet winter. I used to eat them straight off the
    plant as a kid on the way to / from school. I hear that they're made into a
    tonic too.

    > She used to make "pop"
    > out of dandelions and burdock....I remember it
    > being......distinctive...
    > ;]
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_and_burdock

    Aye, I remember trying that when I was a nipper. IIRC I wasn't overly fond
    of it.

    > She used to use nettles for tea/soup or something as well....
    >
    > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-cooking-nettle-pudding-ancient-recipes.html

    Really interesting link, thanks. I can't find any torrents of the programme
    though.

    > good for hair / baldness apparently as well as joints...

    Damn! I should have eaten more nettles before my hair started falling out!

    > The other great one was when she used to take us collecting seaweed
    > and cockles off the beach I used to love lavabread, lots of iron I
    > think...my granda loved cockles...you had to get the insides out with
    > a sewing pin.

    LOL, that brings back memories too. I think you're thinking of winkles (or
    maybe whelks). I came to NZ with the folks when I was 11 or so. I remember
    eating winkles at the seaside from a stall using a toothpick. They'd been
    steamed and sat in vinegar IIRC and they were chewy but quite nice.

    > I so miss lavabread since I came out here....

    Lavabread's a new one on me, must get Googling...

    > that and Joe's icecream
    > best in the world...
    >
    > http://joes.webmediaworks.co.uk/

    Heh! Never had that either. I see that it's from Swansea. .... and that
    lavabread is a Welsh delicacy, the seaweed you mentioned. Co-incidently I
    had the afore-mentioned winkles while on holiday in South Wales.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-09-04, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > There sure is a difference between power-sipping boxen like the EEE bow
    > which would be hard-pressed to pull 30W from the wall outlet and the PCs
    > described here:
    >
    > "Nvidia, AMD gaming graphics buck green-PC trend"
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10028703-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
    >
    > Some of which have 1.2KW PSUs and can pull 800W for GPUs alone. That's some
    > serious power consumption and not the sort of machine you'd leave running
    > 24/7. Maybe run an EEE Box for torrents, email and browsing and just fire up
    > the beast for games. Actually, that approach would probably save power in
    > the long run as opposed to running a mid-powered machine 24/7.

    The human brain requires 25% of the body's blood supply to run. Of that 25%,
    25% is expended on vision. So, assuming no weight increase, 4% of a human's
    fuel is used on on vision alone. Never mind the task of keeping warm.

    Seems graphics in computers agree.
    Gordon, Sep 5, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-09-05, oneofus <> wrote:

    > There are several Atom powered sub notebooks around now with 8.9-10"
    > screens, selling for ~$800
    > http://www.liliputing.com/liliputers
    > $746 for the Acer
    > I'm posting with an Asus eee 4g which is $398 at DSE plus a 16GB SD card
    > that I can leave on all night for torrents, its 22W and I have it set up
    > so I can close the lid and use it with KVM at home. There is a huge
    > amount of support for them at the eeeuser.com wiki
    > I'm just waiting for the eeebox to appear in the regular retail
    > channels, or I might just make one with the Intel Atom motherboard and a
    > n itx case

    ASUS, really did start off a trend with their 701.

    It ios good to see. For torrents do not need anything like the power of a
    modern desktop PC.

    The CPU/microprocessor is developing.

    ASUS saw that people wanted small and portable. Right up on those heels are
    not costly to run.

    Chips are *many* more places than fast food shops. A 20 ton excavator is
    "controlled" by them.

    The decendents of the transistor are all around and are becoming as varied
    as the human race.
    Gordon, Sep 5, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Puddle" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "oneofus" typed:
    >>> Check this one, you can probably stick it in wit some case and
    >>> hardware you have already as a low consumption box
    >>> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=366857

    >> That is bloody brilliant! Cheap too. (I've seen reviews of it but
    >> didn't know it was available locally at a reasonable price, see my
    >> reply to thing.) All we need now is a line of power supplies designed for
    >> efficiency
    >> and sub-100W. If I powered that board with one of the generic 400W
    >> PSUs I have lying around the PSU would probably use more power than
    >> the mobo.

    > Spend a few extra dollars and get this one :)
    > http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=8114843
    >
    > Dual core and only uses 1-2 more watts.
    >
    > They look great, such a huge power saving. I am tempted, would save a
    > bit on electricity if it is going to replace a server running 24/7
    > especially, be fine for a desktop machine too for general use. I am
    > sure there will be more and more demand for these types of energy
    > saving cpu's and chipsets etc. All good.

    Wow! Dual core, 1.6GHz, 1MB L2 cache Atom CPU... That's about as much power
    than any of the P4 line produced and for less than one tenth of the power
    use. (Remember the PrescHOT?)

    Including mobo, GST and delivered for $154.60? Wicked! You can get a 2Gb
    stick of RAM for it from Ascent for $70 delivered too.

    Hard to find good info on it though.

    I wish I had some cash to play with now. :)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 5, 2008
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Brendan" typed:
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:05:51 GMT, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "thing2" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yep....for this I think I'd head for a basic laptop myself...buy a
    >>> separate screen, keyboard and mouse and its then portable as well if
    >>> needed....in-built battery keeps it going for those critical
    >>> downloads....
    >>>

    >> Which, of course, explains why you opted yourself to buy an
    >> eneregy-guzzling AMD 6000-6400+...
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/7c68569a45a42696
    >>
    >> ....and why your pet parott ~misfit~ applauded your selection. Then,
    >> too, you'll both be back here soon reporting that you've decided to
    >> upgrade to one of the same ultra-energy-guzzling graphics cards you
    >> now smirk at. Just admit it: you don't give a toss about energy
    >> conservation, but the gameware you want is just too pricey for you.

    > I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it just me or is this guy
    > a complete fucking arsehole or what?

    This guy claims to be a girl and, no, it's not just you.

    "impossible" is really upset with me as I have him/her killfiled so takes
    every opportunity to attack me behind my back.

    LOL! Call me sexist but I'm suddenly starting to think it could be female.
    ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 8, 2008
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 8, 2008
  14. ~misfit~

    impossible Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:05:51 GMT, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "thing2" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yep....for this I think I'd head for a basic laptop myself...buy a
    >>> separate screen, keyboard and mouse and its then portable as well if
    >>> needed....in-built battery keeps it going for those critical
    >>> downloads....
    >>>

    >> Which, of course, explains why you opted yourself to buy an
    >> eneregy-guzzling
    >> AMD 6000-6400+...
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/7c68569a45a42696
    >>
    >> ....and why your pet parott ~misfit~ applauded your selection. Then, too,
    >> you'll both be back here soon reporting that you've decided to upgrade to
    >> one of the same ultra-energy-guzzling graphics cards you now smirk at.
    >> Just
    >> admit it: you don't give a toss about energy conservation, but the
    >> gameware
    >> you want is just too pricey for you.

    > I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it just me or is this guy a
    > complete fucking arsehole or what?

    Brendan the Plonker -- can't carry a conversation beyond a single sentence
    without resorting to f--------, or a-----------. Tsk, tsk. How's that
    impotence thing woking for you these days?
    impossible, Sep 8, 2008
  15. ~misfit~

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Sep 8, 2008
  16. ~misfit~

    impossible Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Brendan" typed:
    >> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:05:51 GMT, impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> "thing2" <> wrote in message

    >>> Which, of course, explains why you opted yourself to buy an
    >>> eneregy-guzzling AMD 6000-6400+...
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/7c68569a45a42696
    >>>
    >>> ....and why your pet parott ~misfit~ applauded your selection. Then,
    >>> too, you'll both be back here soon reporting that you've decided to
    >>> upgrade to one of the same ultra-energy-guzzling graphics cards you
    >>> now smirk at. Just admit it: you don't give a toss about energy
    >>> conservation, but the gameware you want is just too pricey for you.

    >> I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it just me or is this guy
    >> a complete fucking arsehole or what?

    > This guy claims to be a girl and, no, it's not just you.
    >
    > "impossible" is really upset with me as I have him/her killfiled so takes
    > every opportunity to attack me behind my back.
    >
    > LOL! Call me sexist but I'm suddenly starting to think it could be female.
    > ;-)

    Good call! But over 15 so not your type, creapo.
    impossible, Sep 8, 2008
  17. ~misfit~

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Sep 8, 2008
  18. ~misfit~

    impossible Guest

    "thing2" <> wrote in message
    > Brendan wrote:
    >> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:05:51 GMT, impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> "thing2" <> wrote in message

    >>> Which, of course, explains why you opted yourself to buy an
    >>> eneregy-guzzling AMD 6000-6400+...
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/7c68569a45a42696
    >>>
    >>> ....and why your pet parott ~misfit~ applauded your selection. Then,
    >>> too, you'll both be back here soon reporting that you've decided to
    >>> upgrade to one of the same ultra-energy-guzzling graphics cards you now
    >>> smirk at. Just admit it: you don't give a toss about energy
    >>> conservation, but the gameware you want is just too pricey for you.

    >> I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it just me or is this guy a
    >> complete fucking arsehole or what?
    >>

    > You are right.....complete asshole...

    Sticks and stones and all that....no matter I'm still going to be here to
    expose your lies. Maybe it's time you learned to research facts and to
    string together a couple of sentences summarizing those. Might be a nice
    change of pace for you.
    impossible, Sep 9, 2008
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Puddle" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Puddle" typed:
    >>> Spend a few extra dollars and get this one :)
    >>> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=8114843
    >>>
    >>> Dual core and only uses 1-2 more watts.
    >>>
    >>> They look great, such a huge power saving. I am tempted, would
    >>> save a bit on electricity if it is going to replace a server
    >>> running 24/7 especially, be fine for a desktop machine too for
    >>> general use. I am sure there will be more and more demand for these
    >>> types of energy saving cpu's and chipsets etc. All good.

    >> Wow! Dual core, 1.6GHz, 1MB L2 cache Atom CPU... That's about as
    >> much power than any of the P4 line produced and for less than one
    >> tenth of the power use. (Remember the PrescHOT?)
    >>
    >> Including mobo, GST and delivered for $154.60? Wicked! You can get a
    >> 2Gb stick of RAM for it from Ascent for $70 delivered too.
    >>
    >> Hard to find good info on it though.
    >>
    >> I wish I had some cash to play with now. :)
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > I ended up getting one, they are great little things, XP flies on it
    > as you would expect. The only thing I would have loved would have
    > been a dvi connection or hdmi connector to turn it into a great media
    > player. It does have svideo out at least. I was reading the single
    > core atom struggled with 1080 content but probably this dual core can
    > handle it. The cpu can throttle back to .01 watts at idle which is
    > pretty awesome. For the vast majority of people out there this would
    > be all they need and then some.

    That sounds to be exactly what I'd expect. I agree with you, unless you're
    agamer that machine would probably be more than sufficient. At least for 90%
    of the population.

    It'd be nice to get one that uses an equally efficient northbridge such as
    the laptop chipsets. However, I think that they're laptop only.

    I envy you your new toy. Thanks for the report.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 9, 2008