Killing "query suggestions" or "search assist" popups

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by letterman@invalid.com, Sep 21, 2008.

  1. Guest

    First came the spam popups. Popup blockers were created. Now there
    seems to be a flood of "query suggestions" or "search assist" on
    website search boxes. These are just as annoying. First Google did
    it...... you begin to type in your search word or phrase and google
    pops up all kinds of matching (and not matching) words and lines of
    words, which not only distract your typing, but the damn popup covers
    the "Google Search" (GO) button. After a few days of that annoyance,
    I switched to "Alta Vista" as my default search engine. Within the
    past week or so, I find that Youtube, Ebay, and several other search
    engines are doing the same damn thing. We badly need some sort of
    blocker to stop these damn things.

    While some people might find this helpful (dont ask me how), I find it
    most irritating and almost makes me want to scream everytime I see the
    goddamn things.

    Yes, I know that google has the option in their preferences to disable
    it under this line "Provide query suggestions in the search box". But
    that means I have to save cookies, and I destroy all cookies as soon
    as I close any of my browsers. (For security reasons). I am not
    willing to keep resetting the preferences either.
    I'm sure this will be on almost every website with a search box, by
    the end of the year. By that time I will likely quit using the web
    entirely if I got to live with that annoyance.

    Does anyone know of any addon for Firefox, or any generic freeware or
    shareware program that will block this shit on ALL browsers and do it
    globally on all websites?

    Please post url.

    Thanks
    LM
    , Sep 21, 2008

  2. Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:32:52 -0500, Justin <>
    wrote:

    > wrote on [Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:44:40 -0500]:
    >> First came the spam popups. Popup blockers were created. Now there
    >> seems to be a flood of "query suggestions" or "search assist" on
    >> website search boxes. These are just as annoying. First Google did
    >> it...... you begin to type in your search word or phrase and google
    >> pops up all kinds of matching (and not matching) words and lines of
    >> words, which not only distract your typing, but the damn popup covers
    >> the "Google Search" (GO) button. After a few days of that annoyance,
    >> I switched to "Alta Vista" as my default search engine. Within the
    >> past week or so, I find that Youtube, Ebay, and several other search
    >> engines are doing the same damn thing. We badly need some sort of
    >> blocker to stop these damn things.
    >>
    >> While some people might find this helpful (dont ask me how), I find it
    >> most irritating and almost makes me want to scream everytime I see the
    >> goddamn things.
    >>
    >> Yes, I know that google has the option in their preferences to disable
    >> it under this line "Provide query suggestions in the search box". But
    >> that means I have to save cookies, and I destroy all cookies as soon
    >> as I close any of my browsers. (For security reasons). I am not
    >> willing to keep resetting the preferences either.
    >> I'm sure this will be on almost every website with a search box, by
    >> the end of the year. By that time I will likely quit using the web
    >> entirely if I got to live with that annoyance.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of any addon for Firefox, or any generic freeware or
    >> shareware program that will block this shit on ALL browsers and do it
    >> globally on all websites?
    >>
    >> Please post url.

    >Use the search bar in firefox, right click in the field, uncheck show
    >suggestions.

    I'm assuming you mean to clicl on TOOLS, then WEB SEARCH, which brings
    up a google page. However I cant find the "show suggestions", and
    right clicking in the field dont have anything like that. I am
    running FF 2.0.0.14.
    , Sep 22, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:20:22 -0500, Justin <>
    wrote:

    > wrote on [Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:22:28 -0500]:
    >> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:32:52 -0500, Justin <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Use the search bar in firefox, right click in the field, uncheck show
    >>>suggestions.

    >> I'm assuming you mean to clicl on TOOLS, then WEB SEARCH, which brings
    >> up a google page. However I cant find the "show suggestions", and
    >> right clicking in the field dont have anything like that. I am
    >> running FF 2.0.0.14.

    >Then you are assuming incorrectly.
    >
    >There is a search box on the top toolbar in FF, by default. Right click
    >in it and uncheck show suggestions.
    >
    >I don't know if this will work in 2.0

    I dont think it exists in FF2. I just looked at everything in the top
    toolbar. It's not there. Since I run Win98 (by choice), I cant
    install FF3.
    , Sep 22, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:17:35 -0500, Justin <>
    wrote:

    > wrote on [Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:53:58 -0500]:
    >> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:20:22 -0500, Justin <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Then you are assuming incorrectly.
    >>>
    >>>There is a search box on the top toolbar in FF, by default. Right click
    >>>in it and uncheck show suggestions.
    >>>
    >>>I don't know if this will work in 2.0

    >> I dont think it exists in FF2. I just looked at everything in the top
    >> toolbar. It's not there. Since I run Win98 (by choice), I cant
    >> install FF3.

    >Sounds like it's time to enter the 21st century.

    No Thanks!

    When I can no longer run Win98, I'll be buying a Mac.
    I refuse to use any of the latest shit made by MS. XP was horrible,
    Vista is much worse.
    , Sep 24, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:57:28 -0500, Justin <>
    wrote:

    >> When I can no longer run Win98, I'll be buying a Mac.
    >> I refuse to use any of the latest shit made by MS. XP was horrible,
    >> Vista is much worse.

    >Yes, and? Firefox runs on Mac too.

    Yes, I know, and I will be using it on the Mac.
    , Sep 24, 2008