Killer App/Nifty App

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. In article <rHspe.5899$>, "PAM." <> wrote:
    >Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
    >finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
    >of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
    >
    >Tell me about it
    >:)

    Audacity. Haven't used it yet ... but it looks neat ... and the price is
    right :)

    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    PAM., Jun 8, 2005

  3. PAM. wrote:
    > Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
    > finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
    > of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
    >
    > Tell me about it

    UltraVNC - remote admining of things.

    This piece of VB script...
    ************Begin script********************
    Option Explicit

    Dim objShell, objExec, strUserName, strOutput, intLine
    Dim intPosition, strIP, arrEntrySplit, strComputerName, intRemote

    Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    strUserName = InputBox("Please enter a user name:" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & _
    "(Press [ENTER] or click [CANCEL] to exit...)", _
    "User Computer Name Locator", "")

    Do While strUserName <> ""

    'This next line is where the server name should be entered!!!!!!!!!!

    Set objExec = objShell.Exec("NETSH WINS SERVER \\chatto SHOW NAME " _
    & strUserName & " 03")
    For intLine = 1 To 4
    objExec.StdOut.ReadLine
    Next
    If objExec.StdOut.ReadLine <> "The name does not exist in the WINS
    database." Then
    For intLine = 1 To 5
    objExec.StdOut.ReadLine
    Next
    strOutput = objExec.StdOut.ReadLine
    If Left(strOutput,10) <> "IP Address" Then
    strOutput = objExec.StdOut.ReadLine
    End If
    intPosition = InStr(strOutput, ":")
    strIP = Right(strOutput, (Len(strOutput) - intPosition) - 1)
    Set objExec = objShell.Exec("NBTSTAT -A " & strIP)
    Do While Not objExec.StdOut.AtEndOfStream
    strOutput = objExec.StdOut.ReadLine
    If InStr(strOutput,"<03>") <> 0 Then
    arrEntrySplit = Split(strOutput)
    If UCase(arrEntrySplit(4)) <> UCase(strUserName) And _
    UCase(arrEntrySplit(4)) <> UCase(strComputerName) And _
    UCase(arrEntrySplit(4)) <> strComputerName & "$" Then
    strComputerName = strComputerName & UCase(arrEntrySplit(4))
    End If
    End If
    Loop
    If strComputerName <> "" Then
    MsgBox "The requested user '" & strUserName & _
    "' is logged on to: " & strComputerName,,"User Computer
    Name Locator"
    Else
    MsgBox "The requested user '" & strUserName & _
    "' doesn't appear to logged on to the network. "
    End If
    Else
    MsgBox "The user was not found in the WINS database. ",, _
    "User Computer Name Locator"
    End If
    strComputerName = ""
    strUserName = InputBox("Please enter a user name:" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & _
    "(Press [ENTER] or click [CANCEL] to exit...)", _
    "User Computer Name Locator", "")
    Loop
    ****************end script************************
    Basically it looks in the winz database for a logged on user, and gives
    you the name of the Pc that they're logged into.

    It may be more easily written, but hey, it does the job.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    PAM. Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message

    > Audacity. Haven't used it yet ... but it looks neat ... and the price is
    > right :)
    > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    Can one use it to string files together?
    EG. If I decided to download Dr. Who in 23 parts from alt.binaries.nl, could
    I use it to combine all 23 parts together to show me the programme?
    I shall check it out.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 8, 2005
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    thing2 Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <rHspe.5899$>, "PAM." <> wrote:
    >
    >>Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
    >>finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
    >>of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
    >>
    >>Tell me about it
    >>:)

    > Audacity. Haven't used it yet ... but it looks neat ... and the price is
    > right :)
    >
    > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    >

    > Bruce

    good choice....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Jun 8, 2005
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    PAM. Guest

    > UltraVNC - remote admining of things.
    > This piece of VB script...

    <snip>

    'Ultra' VNC. I've used VNC. It's pretty good. What's the differece between
    them and the difference between Ultra and Linux's rDesktop and WinXP's
    Remote Desktop Connection, if one is a user just wanting to connect and work
    on a remote machine accessing programs through GUI only?

    As for the script. Hmmm. Might be good but I don't care who's on the
    network, I'm a programmer.
    Actually I'm a Business Analyst at the moment but whatever.

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 8, 2005
  7. In article <l5tpe.5910$>, "PAM." <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message
    >
    >> Audacity. Haven't used it yet ... but it looks neat ... and the price is
    >> right :)
    >> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    >Can one use it to string files together?
    >EG. If I decided to download Dr. Who in 23 parts from alt.binaries.nl, could
    >I use it to combine all 23 parts together to show me the programme?
    >I shall check it out.

    Let me know how you get on. It looks seriously good to me.

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 8, 2005
  8. In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <rHspe.5899$>, "PAM."

    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
    >>>finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
    >>>of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
    >>>
    >>>Tell me about it
    >>>:)

    >> Audacity. Haven't used it yet ... but it looks neat ... and the price is
    >> right :)
    >>
    >> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    >good choice....

    Have you tried it ?

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 8, 2005
  9. PAM. wrote:
    >>UltraVNC - remote admining of things.
    >>This piece of VB script...

    > 'Ultra' VNC. I've used VNC. It's pretty good. What's the differece between
    > them and the difference between Ultra and Linux's rDesktop and WinXP's
    > Remote Desktop Connection, if one is a user just wanting to connect and work
    > on a remote machine accessing programs through GUI only?

    Ultra VNC is just like VNC only with more options... or atleast it had
    more last time.

    comparing it to rDesktop and XPs remote desktop is kinda hard, they have
    different markets... we use VNC at work where we need access to see what
    a user has on his/her screen, I guess it could be handy to have as a
    programmer as in you wouldn't have to rely on what the user told you or
    screen shots, as you could actually see whats on their screen... it
    would depend on what sort of programming you do though.

    > As for the script. Hmmm. Might be good but I don't care who's on the
    > network, I'm a programmer.
    > Actually I'm a Business Analyst at the moment but whatever.

    I do network admin stuff, so my tools re-volve around that :)

    we probably share some things, others we wouldn't know what the hell we
    were looking at.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    DaveG Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > PAM. wrote:
    >
    >> Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
    >> finding out if there's another application out there that I've never
    >> heard
    >> of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
    >>
    >> Tell me about it

    > UltraVNC - remote admining of things.
    >
    > This piece of VB script...

    [snipped]

    > ****************end script************************
    > Basically it looks in the winz database for a logged on user, and gives

    ^^^^
    > you the name of the Pc that they're logged into.
    >
    > It may be more easily written, but hey, it does the job.

    oops, unfortunate slip of the keyboard. I'm sure the winz database ins't
    that easy to hack ... What's that marching sound I hear in the background ??

    DaveG, Jun 8, 2005
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    PAM. Guest

    > Ultra VNC is just like VNC only with more options... or atleast it had
    > more last time.
    >
    > comparing it to rDesktop and XPs remote desktop is kinda hard, they have
    > different markets... we use VNC at work where we need access to see what
    > a user has on his/her screen, I guess it could be handy to have as a
    > programmer as in you wouldn't have to rely on what the user told you or
    > screen shots, as you could actually see whats on their screen... it
    > would depend on what sort of programming you do though.

    I thought that might be the difference between UltraVNC and VNC. For me,
    they all do the same thing so being Mr. Tidy & Neat, Neat & Tidy, I don't
    install software if I've got something that does near enough the same thing
    in my view. So on a PC, I use RDC and on my pc at home I use rDesktop. Get's
    e access to the terminal server so that's all I need.
    :)
    Although sometimes, I have to access my physical PC at work so I use VNC on
    the terminal server to do that
    :)

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 8, 2005
  12. >
    >> ****************end script************************
    >> Basically it looks in the winz database for a logged on user, and gives

    > ^^^^
    >
    >> you the name of the Pc that they're logged into.
    >>
    >> It may be more easily written, but hey, it does the job.

    > oops, unfortunate slip of the keyboard. I'm sure the winz database ins't
    > that easy to hack ... What's that marching sound I hear in the
    > background ??

    hah... yeah, slip of the keyboard... we have software called winz here
    too, and had some trouble with it this morning, report about it due this
    arvo... and here I am on news groups, but it was high on my mind.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005
  13. Bruce Sinclair

    S Roby Guest

    Total Commander (was Win Commander)
    Great for those who remember Xtree
    Great plugins available too.
    Use it every day.

    http://www.ghisler.com/

    S Roby, Jun 8, 2005
  14. Bruce Sinclair

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "PAM." <> wrote in news:MYtpe.5924$U4.834910
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > I thought that might be the difference between UltraVNC and VNC.

    UltraVNC has file transfer. It is much closer to RDP than any VNC.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 8, 2005
  15. Bruce Sinclair

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "PAM." <> wrote in

    > Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested
    > in finding out if there's another application out there that I've
    > never heard of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
    >
    > Tell me about it
    >:)
    >
    > PAM.

    Xnews because OE is crap at doing nntp
    Winamp because it plays tunes
    Media Player Classic because it is leaner than WMP10 and has nifty features
    if you go digging.
    ffdshow to play codecs.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 8, 2005
  16. Bruce Sinclair

    Peter S Guest

    "PAM." <> wrote in message
    > Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
    > finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
    > of and I may find useful in my home/work life.
    >
    > Tell me about it
    > :)
    >
    > PAM.

    I think I would rate Google Desktop Search as the one program I couldn't do
    without. I installed it out of curiosity, but its value is immense at work -
    finding emails you sent months or years ago on a subject instantly, all
    files on a topic - its brilliant.

    Not sure of its URL but I'm sure a Google on Google Desktop Search will find
    something.

    Peter S, Jun 8, 2005
  17. Bruce Sinclair

    Adam Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:26:13 GMT, S Roby wrote:

    >Total Commander (was Win Commander)
    >Great for those who remember Xtree

    Ouch! Someone almost as old as me!!!

    XTree was a beaut.

    Adam.

    Adam, Jun 8, 2005
  18. PAM. wrote:
    > Got a fave app that you want to tell me about and why? I'm intrerested in
    > finding out if there's another application out there that I've never heard
    > of and I may find useful in my home/work life.

    Ethereal for packet sniffing. It took me ages to find a decent free
    packet sniffer, and this is it. Very useful for diagnosing network
    problems or developing software that uses TCP/IP.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jun 8, 2005
  19. Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>I thought that might be the difference between UltraVNC and VNC.

    > UltraVNC has file transfer. It is much closer to RDP than any VNC.

    heh, have you ever had it work?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005
  20. In article <>, wrote:
    >On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:26:13 GMT, S Roby wrote:
    >
    >>Total Commander (was Win Commander)
    >>Great for those who remember Xtree

    >Ouch! Someone almost as old as me!!!
    >
    >XTree was a beaut.