Kill the Microsoft Skype 'home' window...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Sep 4, 2011.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/killskypehome/

    I ditched MSN/Live Messenger years ago due to it's obtrusive advertising
    - and now that Microsoft have added an obtrusive 'home' window on Skype
    startup - I'd like to ditch Skype too.

    (I reckon Microsoft are intentionally killing off Skype, now that they
    own it).

    This wee util will kill off the 'home' window that pops up in the latest
    Skype.

    That'll do for me now, while I find an alternative. So um... can anyone
    suggest a good, free, video/voice based chat client? TIA.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 4, 2011

  2. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    , Dave Doe says...

    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/killskypehome/
    >
    > I ditched MSN/Live Messenger years ago due to it's obtrusive advertising
    > - and now that Microsoft have added an obtrusive 'home' window on Skype
    > startup - I'd like to ditch Skype too.
    >
    > (I reckon Microsoft are intentionally killing off Skype, now that they
    > own it).
    >
    > This wee util will kill off the 'home' window that pops up in the latest
    > Skype.
    >
    > That'll do for me now, while I find an alternative. So um... can anyone
    > suggest a good, free, video/voice based chat client? TIA.

    There is a pretty large list I'm looking at here...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients

    Although I have a Linux box, I'd prefer to run it on my Win7 lappie (so
    I'd prefer a Windows based client).

    My current shortlist is: aMSN, Google Talk (says it requires a plugin
    for video though) and Pidgin.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 4, 2011

  3. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >In article <-september.org>,
    >, Dave Doe says...
    >>
    >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/killskypehome/
    >> I ditched MSN/Live Messenger years ago due to it's obtrusive advertising
    >> - and now that Microsoft have added an obtrusive 'home' window on Skype
    >> startup - I'd like to ditch Skype too.
    >> (I reckon Microsoft are intentionally killing off Skype, now that they
    >> own it).
    >> This wee util will kill off the 'home' window that pops up in the latest
    >> Skype.
    >> That'll do for me now, while I find an alternative. So um... can anyone
    >> suggest a good, free, video/voice based chat client? TIA.

    >There is a pretty large list I'm looking at here...
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients
    >Although I have a Linux box, I'd prefer to run it on my Win7 lappie (so
    >I'd prefer a Windows based client).
    >My current shortlist is: aMSN, Google Talk (says it requires a plugin
    >for video though) and Pidgin.

    What about this ... The EVO (Enabling Virtual Organizations) System
    (http://evo.caltech.edu) ?
    Last I saw of the "meeting/video call feature", it was pretty good. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 5, 2011
  4. On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 23:31:43 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >http://sourceforge.net/projects/killskypehome/
    >
    >I ditched MSN/Live Messenger years ago due to it's obtrusive advertising
    >- and now that Microsoft have added an obtrusive 'home' window on Skype
    >startup - I'd like to ditch Skype too.
    >
    >(I reckon Microsoft are intentionally killing off Skype, now that they
    >own it).
    >
    >This wee util will kill off the 'home' window that pops up in the latest
    >Skype.
    >
    >That'll do for me now, while I find an alternative. So um... can anyone
    >suggest a good, free, video/voice based chat client? TIA.

    Logitech Vid HD is one ....... also OoVoo

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Sep 5, 2011
  5. On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 19:00:53 +1200, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 23:31:43 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >>http://sourceforge.net/projects/killskypehome/
    >>
    >>I ditched MSN/Live Messenger years ago due to it's obtrusive advertising
    >>- and now that Microsoft have added an obtrusive 'home' window on Skype
    >>startup - I'd like to ditch Skype too.
    >>
    >>(I reckon Microsoft are intentionally killing off Skype, now that they
    >>own it).
    >>
    >>This wee util will kill off the 'home' window that pops up in the latest
    >>Skype.
    >>
    >>That'll do for me now, while I find an alternative. So um... can anyone
    >>suggest a good, free, video/voice based chat client? TIA.

    >Logitech Vid HD is one ....... also OoVoo

    OcVoo is not free.

    The Big problem is no one else uses it to why bother.

    Frank Williams, Sep 5, 2011