    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Now killing all posts made from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Blinky the Shark

    Scraggy Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > I know it can be done by tinkering with a proxy -- I used to do that
    > with The Proxomitron, back when I was in my Windows phase, but I
    > haven't got around to messing with the equivalent in Linux.
    >
    > So...check this out:
    >
    > http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
    >
    > Info and other tools on home page:
    >
    > http://www.scroogle.org

    Cool. Thanks.
    --
    My wife lost all her credit cards, but I'm not going to report it.
    Whoever found them spends less than she does. -- Henny Youngman
    Scraggy, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Blinky the Shark

    philo Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > I know it can be done by tinkering with a proxy -- I used to do that
    > with The Proxomitron, back when I was in my Windows phase, but I
    > haven't got around to messing with the equivalent in Linux.
    >
    > So...check this out:
    >
    > http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
    >
    > Info and other tools on home page:
    >
    > http://www.scroogle.org

    a good one!
    thanks
    philo, Feb 14, 2005
  4. Blinky the Shark

    elaich Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > I know it can be done by tinkering with a proxy -- I used to do that
    > with The Proxomitron, back when I was in my Windows phase, but I
    > haven't got around to messing with the equivalent in Linux.
    >
    > So...check this out:
    >
    > http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm
    >
    > Info and other tools on home page:
    >
    > http://www.scroogle.org

    Nice but one wonders who's paying the bills.

    I see one glaring difference - when it finds a page that is a subset of the
    main page, it does not indent it to the right like Google does.

    On a related note, is there any way to get rid of those floating title bars
    like the one used in Google Groups search?
    elaich, Feb 15, 2005
  5. elaich wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >> I know it can be done by tinkering with a proxy -- I used to do that
    >> with The Proxomitron, back when I was in my Windows phase, but I
    >> haven't got around to messing with the equivalent in Linux.

    >> So...check this out:

    >> http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

    >> Info and other tools on home page:

    >> http://www.scroogle.org

    > Nice but one wonders who's paying the bills.

    > I see one glaring difference - when it finds a page that is a subset of the
    > main page, it does not indent it to the right like Google does.

    Didn't notice that. Minor, IMO.

    > On a related note, is there any way to get rid of those floating title bars
    > like the one used in Google Groups search?

    <looking at scroogle>

    In three browsers (FF, Opera, Konqueror), I don't see anything I'd call
    a "floating title bar". Can you describe what you are referring to?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Blinky the Shark

    elaich Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > In three browsers (FF, Opera, Konqueror), I don't see anything I'd call
    > a "floating title bar". Can you describe what you are referring to?

    Go do any search on Google Groups, look at a result (any result) and notice
    that annoying bar that follows you down the page. Adblock won't touch it.
    I've seen it elsewhere, too.
    elaich, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Blinky the Shark

    Guest

    On 16 Feb 2005 06:25:38 GMT, elaich <> wrote:

    |> Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    |>
    |> > In three browsers (FF, Opera, Konqueror), I don't see anything I'd call
    |> > a "floating title bar". Can you describe what you are referring to?
    |>
    |> Go do any search on Google Groups, look at a result (any result) and notice
    |> that annoying bar that follows you down the page. Adblock won't touch it.
    |> I've seen it elsewhere, too.

    Your right :) and it has to be a result, never saw it before.

    Just use this address http://www.google.co.uk/ it doesn't have it.

    --
    , Feb 16, 2005
  8. elaich wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >> In three browsers (FF, Opera, Konqueror), I don't see anything I'd call
    >> a "floating title bar". Can you describe what you are referring to?

    > Go do any search on Google Groups, look at a result (any result) and notice
    > that annoying bar that follows you down the page. Adblock won't touch it.
    > I've seen it elsewhere, too.

    I have no such thing with any of my browsers.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 16, 2005
  9. elaich wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >> In three browsers (FF, Opera, Konqueror), I don't see anything I'd call
    >> a "floating title bar". Can you describe what you are referring to?

    > Go do any search on Google Groups, look at a result (any result) and notice
    > that annoying bar that follows you down the page. Adblock won't touch it.
    > I've seen it elsewhere, too.

    SECOND RESPONSE: I see it; I didn't notice you were talking about
    Google *Groups*. My bad. Well, it's up at the very top of the
    viewport; doesn't really get in the way.[1] If it ever does, I'll use one
    of my text browsers; it sure won't be seen there. :)

    [1]And it's broken, too, as is most of G2. If you scroll down slowly,
    you'll see certain elements (like the list of sponsored hits on the
    right side of the window) cover it (in, at least, Opera and Konqueror).

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 16, 2005
  10. It was on Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:17:32 +0000, that Blinky the Shark
    contributed:

    > elaich wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >>> In three browsers (FF, Opera, Konqueror), I don't see anything I'd call
    >>> a "floating title bar". Can you describe what you are referring to?

    >> Go do any search on Google Groups, look at a result (any result) and
    >> notice that annoying bar that follows you down the page. Adblock won't
    >> touch it. I've seen it elsewhere, too.

    > I have no such thing with any of my browsers.

    Nor have I. It doesn't appear in Firefox, Opera, Galleon or konqueror.
    I wonder if it only affects windows users?
    Perce P. Cassidy, Feb 16, 2005
  11. Perce P. Cassidy wrote:
    > It was on Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:17:32 +0000, that Blinky the Shark
    > contributed:

    >> elaich wrote:

    >>> Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >>> Go do any search on Google Groups, look at a result (any result) and
    >>> notice that annoying bar that follows you down the page. Adblock won't
    >>> touch it. I've seen it elsewhere, too.

    >> I have no such thing with any of my browsers.

    > Nor have I. It doesn't appear in Firefox, Opera, Galleon or konqueror.
    > I wonder if it only affects windows users?

    See my correction. I was looking for it in Google; didn't notice he
    was talking about Google Groups. I have it there, in Opera, FF and
    Konqueror. But it's at the very top of the viewport, so you might just
    be missing it, especially if you're scrolling down relatively quickly,
    as I was. It's small. And I think it's new -- I don't remember it
    from a three or four days ago.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 16, 2005
  12. On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:06:52 +0000, "Perce P. Cassidy"
    <> wrote:

    >>> Go do any search on Google Groups, look at a result (any result) and
    >>> notice that annoying bar that follows you down the page. Adblock won't
    >>> touch it. I've seen it elsewhere, too.

    >> I have no such thing with any of my browsers.

    >Nor have I. It doesn't appear in Firefox, Opera, Galleon or konqueror.
    >I wonder if it only affects windows users?

    Nope, no such bar here.

    Swill

    --
    As far as I'm concerned, heroin should be available for free
    in vending machines. Think of it as evolution in action.
    Governor Swill, Feb 16, 2005
  13. On 16 Feb 2005 17:30:02 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >See my correction. I was looking for it in Google; didn't notice he
    >was talking about Google Groups. I have it there, in Opera, FF and
    >Konqueror. But it's at the very top of the viewport, so you might just
    >be missing it, especially if you're scrolling down relatively quickly,
    >as I was. It's small. And I think it's new -- I don't remember it
    >from a three or four days ago.

    Ah, I see it now. It stays at the top over on the right and doesn't
    block anything. Basically it gives the name of the thread I'm looking
    at and has a link that sends the view back to the top of the results
    page.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Feb 16, 2005