  1. Does anyone know what differences (if any) there are between the US and Japan
    DVDs of Kill Bill vol 2?

    Thanks
    Elliot Mantle, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Elliot Mantle

    Dragon Guest

    "Elliot Mantle" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Does anyone know what differences (if any) there are between the US and

    Japan
    > DVDs of Kill Bill vol 2?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi eeliott I was also wondering this my self but I don't think there is much
    difference compared to the first kill bill which had the colour scene and
    extra fight scenes in full, hope someone can tell us

    Dave

    ---
    Dragon, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Elliot Mantle

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > Does anyone know what differences (if any) there are between the US

    and Japan
    > DVDs of Kill Bill vol 2?

    There are no differences in the cut of the film, other than that the
    Japanese DVD defaults to Japanese subtitles during the Chinese-language
    scenes rather than English subtitles as the US DVD does.
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 10, 2004
  4. Elliot Mantle

    buck16 Guest

    Legit DVD burning question (to "repair" my Nighthawks 16:9)

    OK, I bought the newer 16:9 Nighthawks and, as I mentioned in a threat
    a while back, the soundtrack was altered. I was wonding if I could
    rip the audio off the older disc, rip just the video off the newer
    disc, and merge the two? Then I'd have a a PROPER, complete version
    of Nighthawks.

    Thanks,
    Matt
    buck16, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Elliot Mantle

    Tom Brehony Guest

    Yes, the Japanese version is the only completely uncut version available.

    There are numerous differences, the fight at the House of the Blue Leaves
    does not
    go into black and white, when the Bride has Sofie in the boot of her car she
    cuts her
    second arm off, etc.

    I found a web site which reviewed and detailed the comparisons, but
    unfortunately I
    cannot remember what it was. Sorry!

    Tom.

    Tom Brehony, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Elliot Mantle

    Dragon Guest

    hi tom

    what you are describing is volume 1 not 2

    "Tom Brehony" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, the Japanese version is the only completely uncut version available.
    >
    > There are numerous differences, the fight at the House of the Blue Leaves
    > does not
    > go into black and white, when the Bride has Sofie in the boot of her car

    she
    > cuts her
    > second arm off, etc.
    >
    > I found a web site which reviewed and detailed the comparisons, but
    > unfortunately I
    > cannot remember what it was. Sorry!
    >
    > Tom.
    >
    > "Elliot Mantle" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what differences (if any) there are between the US and
    > > Japan
    > > DVDs of Kill Bill vol 2?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    ---
    Dragon, Aug 26, 2004
  7. On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Tom Brehony wrote:

    > Yes, the Japanese version is the only completely uncut version available.
    >
    > There are numerous differences, the fight at the House of the Blue Leaves
    > does not go into black and white, when the Bride has Sofie in the boot
    > of her car she cuts her second arm off, etc.
    >
    > I found a web site which reviewed and detailed the comparisons, but
    > unfortunately I cannot remember what it was. Sorry!

    The most recent Video Watchdog also lists all the differences, if you're
    handy a place that sells it.

    swac
    Stephen Cooke, Aug 26, 2004
  8. Elliot Mantle

    unclejr Guest

    "Tom Brehony" <> wrote...
    > Yes, the Japanese version is the only completely uncut version available.

    The OP's question was about VOLUME 2, not Vol. 1. Here's $0.02...
    now, go buy a clue.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Aug 26, 2004
  9. Elliot Mantle

    Chasey Guest

    "unclejr" <> wrote in message
    > "Tom Brehony" <> wrote...
    > > Yes, the Japanese version is the only completely uncut version

    available.

    > The OP's question was about VOLUME 2, not Vol. 1. Here's $0.02...
    > now, go buy a clue.
    >
    > -Junior

    No need to be too harsh!
    Of course you don't make mistakes?
    Chasey, Aug 26, 2004
  10. Elliot Mantle

    Tom Brehony Guest

    My apologies.

    Tom Brehony, Aug 26, 2004
  11. Elliot Mantle

    jayembee Guest

    "Tom Brehony" <> wrote:

    > There are numerous differences, the fight at the House
    > of the Blue Leaves does not go into black and white, [...]

    You say that like it's a good thing.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Aug 26, 2004
  12. Elliot Mantle

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > "Tom Brehony" <> wrote:
    >
    > > There are numerous differences, the fight at the House
    > > of the Blue Leaves does not go into black and white, [...]

    > You say that like it's a good thing.

    Aiiee! You're tampering with the filmmakers' original intent here,
    Jerry.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
    Dale Hicks, Aug 27, 2004
  13. Elliot Mantle

    jayembee Guest

    Dale Hicks <> wrote:

    > says...
    >> "Tom Brehony" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are numerous differences, the fight at the House
    >>> of the Blue Leaves does not go into black and white, [...]

    >> You say that like it's a good thing.

    > Aiiee! You're tampering with the filmmakers' original
    > intent here, Jerry.

    Are you saying it wasn't Q's idea to go to black & white?

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Aug 27, 2004
  14. Elliot Mantle

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message

    > >> You say that like it's a good thing.

    > > Aiiee! You're tampering with the filmmakers' original
    > > intent here, Jerry.

    > Are you saying it wasn't Q's idea to go to black & white?

    It was Q's idea to have two versions of the movie. Both are legitimate.
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 27, 2004
  15. Elliot Mantle

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <elFXc.219$>,
    says...
    > "jayembee" <> wrote in message

    > > > Aiiee! You're tampering with the filmmakers' original
    > > > intent here, Jerry.

    > > Are you saying it wasn't Q's idea to go to black & white?

    > It was Q's idea to have two versions of the movie. Both are legitimate.

    But one was made under duress, no? Because he decides to decolorize it,
    doesn't mean that he wanted to. So if people snip out some sections of
    the film because a morals board wants them to, it's okay, because it was
    the director excising the bits?

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
    Dale Hicks, Aug 27, 2004
  16. Elliot Mantle

    Cernovog Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:12:02 -0400, Dale Hicks wrote
    (in message <>):

    > Aiiee! You're tampering with the filmmakers' original intent here,

    It's funny how people kick and scream to see movies "the way the director
    intended" when it comes to widescreen, director's cuts, unrated versions,
    etc., but often times the same people kick and scream just as vehemently when
    "the way the director intended" doesn't jive with what they want. Case in
    point: Lucas' constant tinkering with Star Wars.
    Cernovog, Aug 27, 2004
  17. Elliot Mantle

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:12:02 -0400, Dale Hicks wrote
    > (in message <>):
    >
    > > Aiiee! You're tampering with the filmmakers' original intent here,

    > It's funny how people kick and scream to see movies "the way the director
    > intended" when it comes to widescreen, director's cuts, unrated versions,
    > etc., but often times the same people kick and scream just as vehemently when
    > "the way the director intended" doesn't jive with what they want. Case in
    > point: Lucas' constant tinkering with Star Wars.

    I'll just point out the word "original" above.

    Once it's in the world, it's art, and adding brushstroke after
    brushstroke afterwards is, as any painter can tell you, asking for
    trouble. At some point, the work has to be "done".

    For SW, I say that was May whatevest, 1977.

    If he wants a Star Wars Directors Cut or Star Wars Special Edition, I
    don't see anything wrong with that. I just don't have to enjoy it as
    much as I did Star Wars.

    Plenty of people like that crappy narration on Blade Runner. It's the
    same thing. They should get a chance at that version of the film, as
    well as the DC.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
    Dale Hicks, Aug 27, 2004
  18. Elliot Mantle

    T Guest

    Cernovog wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:12:02 -0400, Dale Hicks wrote
    > (in message <>):
    >

    >>Aiiee! You're tampering with the filmmakers' original intent here,

    > It's funny how people kick and scream to see movies "the way the director
    > intended" when it comes to widescreen, director's cuts, unrated versions,
    > etc., but often times the same people kick and scream just as vehemently when
    > "the way the director intended" doesn't jive with what they want. Case in
    > point: Lucas' constant tinkering with Star Wars.

    Or the Director's Cut of Blade Runner.

    I *liked* Decker's overlay monologue.

    TBerk
    T, Aug 27, 2004
  19. Elliot Mantle

    jayembee Guest

    Dale Hicks <> wrote:

    > says...
    >>
    >> "jayembee" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Are you saying it wasn't Q's idea to go to black & white?

    >> It was Q's idea to have two versions of the movie. Both
    >> are legitimate.

    > But one was made under duress, no?

    Was it?

    > Because he decides to decolorize it, doesn't mean that he
    > wanted to.

    That's what I'm asking: did he want that entire section in
    color? I haven't heard one way or the other on this point.

    My thinking is that it's the way he wanted it:

    Q makes extensive use of B&W sections throughout both films.
    There's nothing about the House of Blue Leaves section that
    suggests that it was singled out for decolorizing.

    OK. Blood by the metric ton. But there are enough sequences
    in the film -- including the HoBL section -- where we get
    excessive amounts of blood in vibrant color. When Gogo
    eviscerates that poor guy she was "flirting" with, for
    example, and his entrails spill out onto the floor.

    > So if people snip out some sections of the film because a
    > morals board wants them to, it's okay, because it was the
    > director excising the bits?

    That depends on whether the director believes that it harms
    the work. It's one thing if he believes that the work suffers,
    and another thing if he things it would be better one way,
    but still works well enough the other way.

    Q knows as well as anyone that when someone else is footing
    the bills, compromise may be called for.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Aug 27, 2004
  20. Elliot Mantle

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > That's what I'm asking: did he want that entire section in
    > color? I haven't heard one way or the other on this point.

    While Tarantino has, on several occasions, claimed that the Japanese
    version, which features the House of Blue Leaves sequence in full
    colour as well as various other shots that were deleted or altered to
    avoid an NC-17 rating in the Western prints, is not a =3Fdirector=3Fs
    cut=3F but simply an alternative version, this would seem to contradict
    his repeated marketing of the film in Japan as =3Ffull-strength Kill
    Bill=3F.

    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=11327

    Lots of deletions as well as the color change. Even though it is silly
    cartoon violence, there are strong appearances that the changes were
    made solely for the MPAA.

    It's cool and stylistic and all, but I don't really think that he made
    it B&W to be cool and stylistic -- else why show a color version to the
    Japanese? Are they known as a culture to disdain all things B&W,
    colorizing their old films?

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net
    Dale Hicks, Aug 27, 2004