    could see a rube missing the shot but even under duress she should
    have been able to make a body shot.

    , Apr 23, 2004

  2. damnfine Guest

    <> wrote:
    > I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was taken
    > right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't she a
    > trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the kitchen
    > when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box notwithstanding. I
    > could see a rube missing the shot but even under duress she should
    > have been able to make a body shot.

    It's genre. Bad guys, good aim. Good guys, bad aim.

    --
    /^\damnfine/^\
    "Somewhere in Texas, a village is being deprived of its idiot."

    damnfine, Apr 23, 2004

  3. damnfine Guest

    "damnfine" wrote:
    > > I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was taken
    > > right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't she a
    > > trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the kitchen
    > > when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box notwithstanding. I
    > > could see a rube missing the shot but even under duress she should
    > > have been able to make a body shot.

    > It's genre. Bad guys, good aim. Good guys, bad aim.

    Wow, I'm incredibly stupid. But you know what I meant.

    damnfine, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Mike Kohary Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was taken
    > right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't she a
    > trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the kitchen
    > when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box notwithstanding. I
    > could see a rube missing the shot but even under duress she should
    > have been able to make a body shot.

    Sometimes you just need to suspend disbelief, a trait that seems to become
    increasingly more difficult as our societies become increasingly cynical.
    Try anyway, though. ;)

    On a more serious note, if you own a gun, try it for yourself to see just
    how hard it really is. Take it far out into the country away from other
    people. Stand 10 feet away from a tree, then turn around to face away from
    the tree. Now, spin and fire at the tree and see if you can hit it. It's
    much, much harder than it seems that it should be.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 23, 2004
  5. Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:17:33 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was taken
    >> right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't she a
    >> trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the kitchen
    >> when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box notwithstanding. I
    >> could see a rube missing the shot but even under duress she should
    >> have been able to make a body shot.

    >Sometimes you just need to suspend disbelief, a trait that seems to become
    >increasingly more difficult as our societies become increasingly cynical.
    >Try anyway, though. ;)
    >
    >On a more serious note, if you own a gun, try it for yourself to see just
    >how hard it really is.

    snip

    Yeah, but dude I'm not a trained assassin and as far as suspending
    disbelief I am able to do that at the drop of a Dakota Fanning
    pretentious smile but this just shook me right out of my suspension. I
    would rather have seen Uma take a shoulder shot at the very least.

    , Apr 23, 2004
  6. Roger Zoul Guest

    wrote:
    :: On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:17:33 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <>
    :: wrote:
    ::
    ::: <> wrote in message
    ::: news:...
    ::::
    :::: I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was
    :::: taken right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't
    :::: she a trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the
    :::: kitchen when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box
    :::: notwithstanding. I could see a rube missing the shot but even
    :::: under duress she should have been able to make a body shot.
    :::
    ::: Sometimes you just need to suspend disbelief, a trait that seems to
    ::: become increasingly more difficult as our societies become
    ::: increasingly cynical. Try anyway, though. ;)
    :::
    ::: On a more serious note, if you own a gun, try it for yourself to
    ::: see just how hard it really is.
    ::
    :: snip
    ::
    :: Yeah, but dude I'm not a trained assassin and as far as suspending
    :: disbelief I am able to do that at the drop of a Dakota Fanning
    :: pretentious smile but this just shook me right out of my suspension.
    :: I would rather have seen Uma take a shoulder shot at the very least.

    I wondered the same thing....however, also consider that her character was
    supposedly good with a knife....not a gun.

    Roger Zoul, Apr 23, 2004
  7. Justin Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote on [Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:22:54 -0400]:
    > wrote:
    >:: On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:17:33 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <>
    >:: wrote:
    >::
    >::: <> wrote in message
    >::: news:...
    >::::
    >:::: I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was
    >:::: taken right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't
    >:::: she a trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the
    >:::: kitchen when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box
    >:::: notwithstanding. I could see a rube missing the shot but even
    >:::: under duress she should have been able to make a body shot.
    >:::
    >::: Sometimes you just need to suspend disbelief, a trait that seems to
    >::: become increasingly more difficult as our societies become
    >::: increasingly cynical. Try anyway, though. ;)
    >:::
    >::: On a more serious note, if you own a gun, try it for yourself to
    >::: see just how hard it really is.
    >::
    >:: snip
    >::
    >:: Yeah, but dude I'm not a trained assassin and as far as suspending
    >:: disbelief I am able to do that at the drop of a Dakota Fanning
    >:: pretentious smile but this just shook me right out of my suspension.
    >:: I would rather have seen Uma take a shoulder shot at the very least.
    >
    > I wondered the same thing....however, also consider that her character was
    > supposedly good with a knife....not a gun.

    And aiming through a cereal box.

    Justin, Apr 23, 2004
  8. Mark W Guest

    "damnfine" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote:
    > > I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was taken
    > > right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't she a
    > > trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the kitchen
    > > when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box notwithstanding. I
    > > could see a rube missing the shot but even under duress she should
    > > have been able to make a body shot.

    Oh! The reason for that must be that it's a reference to something else, or
    an in-joke, which you obviously missed. How uncool!

    Mark W, Apr 23, 2004
  9. kevins_news2 Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:39:59 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >Roger Zoul wrote on [Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:22:54 -0400]:
    >> wrote:
    >>:: On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:17:33 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <>
    >>:: wrote:
    >>::
    >>::: <> wrote in message
    >>::: news:...
    >>::::
    >>:::: I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was
    >>:::: taken right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't
    >>:::: she a trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the
    >>:::: kitchen when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box
    >>:::: notwithstanding. I could see a rube missing the shot but even
    >>:::: under duress she should have been able to make a body shot.
    >>:::
    >>::: Sometimes you just need to suspend disbelief, a trait that seems to
    >>::: become increasingly more difficult as our societies become
    >>::: increasingly cynical. Try anyway, though. ;)
    >>:::
    >>::: On a more serious note, if you own a gun, try it for yourself to
    >>::: see just how hard it really is.
    >>::
    >>:: snip
    >>::
    >>:: Yeah, but dude I'm not a trained assassin and as far as suspending
    >>:: disbelief I am able to do that at the drop of a Dakota Fanning
    >>:: pretentious smile but this just shook me right out of my suspension.
    >>:: I would rather have seen Uma take a shoulder shot at the very least.
    >>
    >> I wondered the same thing....however, also consider that her character was
    >> supposedly good with a knife....not a gun.
    >>

    >And aiming through a cereal box.

    I thought a good explanation would have been for them to somehow
    incoporate a small metal hotwheels car (or some other toy in the
    bottom of the cereal box) as the reason for the deflected bullet.

    But of course i guess it's just as improbable a small toy would
    deflect the bullet as it is for a trained assasin to miss. I was
    willing to go with the knife being her weapon of choice thing.

    kevins_news2, Apr 23, 2004
  10. Dan P. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Sp
    >

    > I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was taken
    > right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't she a
    > trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the kitchen
    > when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box notwithstanding. I
    > could see a rube missing the shot but even under duress she should
    > have been able to make a body shot.

    You never saw Pulp Fiction, did you? If you did, then the answer is that
    God moved the bullets away from Uma.

    Dan

    Dan P., Apr 23, 2004
  11. Anon Guest

    I guess you've never seen a Samurai movie. Wait till later in Kill Bill,
    when 88 trained killers attacker with swords all at once. In Samurai movie,
    nobody would strike her from behind, nor would they attack her all at once.
    You have to go along with the program and ignore these "miscues" if you want
    to enjoy the movie.

    Anon, Apr 23, 2004
  12. BubbCoop Guest

    <<Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the kitchen
    > > when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box notwithstanding. I
    > > could see a rube missing the shot but even under duress she should
    > > have been able to make a body shot.

    Oh! The reason for that must be that it's a reference to something else, or
    an in-joke, which you obviously missed. How uncool!

    Divine intervention?

    BubbCoop, Apr 24, 2004
  13. Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:33:24 GMT, wrote:

    >Sp
    >

    >I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was taken
    >right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't she a
    >trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the kitchen
    >when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box notwithstanding. I
    >could see a rube missing the shot but even under duress she should
    >have been able to make a body shot.

    And the rest of the film is so believeable. Ya mope

    , Apr 24, 2004
  14. JMayer Guest

    And she's 3, 4 years out of practice, married and raising kids takes time
    away from keeping gun skills sharp

    JMayer, Apr 24, 2004
  15. This is a movie where blood spurts out of torsos like water fountains and
    people are woried about suspension of disbelief when it comes to aiming
    through a box of cereal?

    Hazzle Meredith, Apr 24, 2004
  16. Shinner Guest

    (BubbCoop) wrote in news:20040423190500.03209.00000125@mb-
    m28.aol.com:

    > Divine intervention?

    Naw, the script called for it :)

    Shinner, Apr 25, 2004
  17. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have only just begun watching the DVD but very early on I was taken
    > right out of the movie by Fox's miscues. Isn't she or wasn't she a
    > trained assassin. Then how could she miss hitting Uma in the kitchen
    > when she was only 10 or so feet away, cereal box notwithstanding. I
    > could see a rube missing the shot but even under duress she should
    > have been able to make a body shot.

    Her specialty was edged weapons, not firearms.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 25, 2004
  18. Mike Jackson Guest

    > And aiming through a cereal box.

    If they had been Lucky Charms, on the other hand...

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Apr 27, 2004
  19. Tad Bitt Guest

    "Mike Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > > And aiming through a cereal box.

    > If they had been Lucky Charms, on the other hand...
    >
    > Mike Jackson
    > Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    > www.dvdverdict.com

    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    Would it be physically possible for Beatrix to break out of a coffin while
    underground? The first thing we should realise is the "burial" part of the
    scene only lasted a few minutes. With all that earth being piled on top of
    the coffin, it seemed like a lot, however, it wasnt. This was not a full 6
    foot hole they dug or filled. Probably more like 2.5 foot. Still, B would
    have to withstand at least 2 minutes of no breathing while she works her way
    against the earth's weight. She could stick her arm right upwards and create
    an airway. Anyway, do you think this would be possible YEs or No?

    Tad Bitt, Apr 29, 2004
  20. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Tad Bitt" <> wrote in message news:Sq5kc.4374> >
    >>>SPoiler Ahead, do not read if you havent seen both VOL 1 and

    2<<<<<<<<<
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > ..
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > Would it be physically possible for Beatrix to break out of a coffin

    while
    > underground? The first thing we should realise is the "burial" part of

    the
    > scene only lasted a few minutes. With all that earth being piled on

    top of
    > the coffin, it seemed like a lot, however, it wasnt. This was not a

    full 6
    > foot hole they dug or filled. Probably more like 2.5 foot. Still, B

    would
    > have to withstand at least 2 minutes of no breathing while she works

    her way
    > against the earth's weight. She could stick her arm right upwards and

    create
    > an airway. Anyway, do you think this would be possible YEs or No?

    You're arguing plausibility in a movie where a superhero woman slices up
    dozens of Japanese gangsters and watches their bodies gush with geysers
    of blood?

    Suspension of disbelief, dude.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 29, 2004