    --
    "Don't Be An Asshole, Vote Democratic"
    http://www.blackstarsblog.com/bushin41point2.htm
    Snow, Apr 25, 2004

  2. Snow

    Ollie T Guest

    You should be seeing the subtitles. The Japanese parts have the subtitles
    on my DVD and were the same in the theater. Do you have a region 1 DVD?
    Maybe your DVD player automatically turns off all subtitles even if they are
    supposed to be there.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Ollie T, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Snow

    Snow Guest

    "Ollie T" <> wrote in message
    > You should be seeing the subtitles. The Japanese parts have the subtitles
    > on my DVD and were the same in the theater. Do you have a region 1 DVD?
    > Maybe your DVD player automatically turns off all subtitles even if they

    are
    > supposed to be there.

    Yes, I do have the region 1 DVD. I just got it from Netflix today. Maybe it
    is my dvd player. Thanks for the info.
    Snow, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Snow

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:45:43 -0400, "Snow" <> wrote:

    >I'm just now seeing Kill Bill Vol. 1 for the first time on DVD, and I was
    >just wondering why in the parts of the movie that people are speaking
    >Japanese, why is ther no subtitles in the movie. Only when I turn on the
    >subtitles on the dvd do I know what they are saying. Was this the way the
    >movie was shown in the theatres?

    Are zooming the picture? If so, you're cutting off the text. On the
    Anamorphic version, the subtitles for the Japanese is in the lower
    "black bar" portion.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Snow

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Snow" <> wrote in message
    > I'm just now seeing Kill Bill Vol. 1 for the first time on DVD, and I

    was
    > just wondering why in the parts of the movie that people are speaking
    > Japanese, why is ther no subtitles in the movie. Only when I turn on

    the
    > subtitles on the dvd do I know what they are saying. Was this the way

    the
    > movie was shown in the theatres?

    The disc appears to be glitchy. The subtitles are supposed to pop up
    automatically over the Japanese speaking parts. On most DVD players this
    works fine, but apparently certain brands have problems getting it to
    work right.
    Joshua Zyber, Apr 25, 2004
  6. Snow

    Del March Guest

    << I'm just now seeing Kill Bill Vol. 1 for the first time on DVD, and I was
    just wondering why in the parts of the movie that people are speaking
    Japanese, why is ther no subtitles in the movie. Only when I turn on the
    subtitles on the dvd do I know what they are saying. Was this the way the
    movie was shown in the theatres? >><BR><BR>

    The disc is supposed to default to Subtitle Track 1 on, which is just the
    Japanese dialog translated. Track 2 shows all the dialog subtitled. With the
    subs off, the show is presented textless. Track 1 is basically how it was seen
    in theaters.
    Del March, Apr 26, 2004
  7. Snow

    Snow Guest

    "Del March" <> wrote in message
    > << I'm just now seeing Kill Bill Vol. 1 for the first time on DVD, and I

    was
    > just wondering why in the parts of the movie that people are speaking
    > Japanese, why is ther no subtitles in the movie. Only when I turn on the
    > subtitles on the dvd do I know what they are saying. Was this the way the
    > movie was shown in the theatres? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > The disc is supposed to default to Subtitle Track 1 on, which is just the
    > Japanese dialog translated. Track 2 shows all the dialog subtitled. With

    the
    > subs off, the show is presented textless. Track 1 is basically how it was

    seen
    > in theaters.

    The problem was with my dvd player. The subtitles worked fine on my
    Playstation.
    Snow, Apr 26, 2004
  8. Snow

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Del March" <> wrote in message
    > The disc is supposed to default to Subtitle Track 1 on, which is just

    the
    > Japanese dialog translated. Track 2 shows all the dialog subtitled.

    With the
    > subs off, the show is presented textless. Track 1 is basically how it

    was seen
    > in theaters.

    It's also worth noting that Track 2 isn't just English subtitles. It's
    English captions for the hearing-inpaired, including the spelling out of
    sound effects and song lyrics.
    Joshua Zyber, Apr 26, 2004
  9. "Snow" <> wrote in message
    > I'm just now seeing Kill Bill Vol. 1 for the first time on DVD, and I was
    > just wondering why in the parts of the movie that people are speaking
    > Japanese, why is ther no subtitles in the movie. Only when I turn on the
    > subtitles on the dvd do I know what they are saying. Was this the way the
    > movie was shown in the theatres?
    >

    > --
    > "Don't Be An Asshole, Vote Democratic"
    > http://www.blackstarsblog.com/bushin41point2.htm

    if it is around the part where the crazy 88 are asking charlie brown for
    pizza there is one scene which has no subs in any version, he is telling a
    dirty joke and thought i t would be fun to have it left open to
    interpretation, though iirc the joke was, he went out with a girl found out
    he was a she, though that didnt bother him, the thing that bothered him was
    that he/she had a bigger d*ck than him!
    PJ
    PJ \(the original!\), Apr 28, 2004
  10. Snow

    Snow Guest

    "PJ (the original!)" <> wrote in message

    > "Snow" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm just now seeing Kill Bill Vol. 1 for the first time on DVD, and I

    was
    > > just wondering why in the parts of the movie that people are speaking
    > > Japanese, why is ther no subtitles in the movie. Only when I turn on the
    > > subtitles on the dvd do I know what they are saying. Was this the way

    the
    > > movie was shown in the theatres?
    > >

    > > --
    > > "Don't Be An Asshole, Vote Democratic"
    > > http://www.blackstarsblog.com/bushin41point2.htm
    > >

    > if it is around the part where the crazy 88 are asking charlie brown for
    > pizza there is one scene which has no subs in any version, he is telling

    > dirty joke and thought i t would be fun to have it left open to
    > interpretation, though iirc the joke was, he went out with a girl found

    out
    > he was a she, though that didnt bother him, the thing that bothered him

    was
    > that he/she had a bigger d*ck than him!
    > PJ

    LOL, I was wondering what that joke was.
    Snow, Apr 28, 2004