Kill Bill, part 1 - Anyone seen it yet? I have and....

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Riffraff, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. Riffraff

    Riffraff Guest

    Hello everybody,

    I just got around to seeing Kill Bill, the fourth outing from Quentin Tarantino.
    Seeing how I'm a really big fan of his first three movies (Resevoir Dogs, Pulp
    Fiction, and Jackie Brown - got 'em all on DVD), I was greatly anticipating
    seeing what he could do with the modern day "Japanese Western".

    The majority of the reviews I've read pretty much fall on either side of the
    fence in that it's either just a gory piece of trash or a cinematic masterpiece.

    Well, I can safely say that this is definitely not a ciinematic masterpiece. In
    fact, it comes no where close to being anything more than a really big budget
    B-movie. Don't get me wrong, there's some excellent cinematography in this
    film. But great cinematography does not a great masterpiece make.

    I kinda see this as Quentiin's take (more or less) on Japanese cinema with a
    bit of the Italian Western thrown in for good measure (which was influenced
    itself by Japanese cinema). I can see influences ranging from The Hidden
    Fortress to High Plains Drifter to Duel to the Death but unfortunately it doesn't
    work anywhere near as well as intended and the whole package suffers. .

    Uma Thurman's casting in this movie is expected as she did an excellent job
    in Pulp Fiction making that character quite memorable and she does her best
    to do an admirable job here making this character something only she can do.

    Luci Liu does a bang up job too as the half Chinese/half American assassin
    who takes over the Tokyo mob. I found her character to be very convincing.
    Vivica A. Fox also does a hell of a job and really earned her money for the
    short time she was on screen. I just love her in anything she does.

    I absolutely adore Daryl Hannah but she was completely laughable as a female
    assassin. What the hell was Quentin thinking? That eye patch had me rolling
    on the floor laughing my ass off!!! Not believable one bit.

    As for the unseen Bill, the only reason I can see casting David Carradine is as
    a reward for his days in Kung-fu and all those crap ass movies he had to do to
    make a living back in the day. He's a good actor though and I like him. He did
    alright given his limited screen time in this flick.

    The full cast of asian actors (too numerous to list here, so I won't bother) do a
    pretty good job, especially with the martial arts scenes. Overall, I find these
    scenes to be better than your average martial arts film.

    Other than that, I find this movie to be about half hit and half miss. Pretty much
    all of the dialogue is stilted and just plain sucks... nobody talks like that!!! Not
    even in crappy low budget B-flicks! What happened to the finely crafted
    dialogue we saw in Quentin's first three movies? Nowhere to be seen here.

    I'm sure eveyone who has seen this movie can plainly notice that he is once
    again following the same style & pattern of his first three movies, i.e. doing the
    movie completely out of sequence. It worked great in the first three movies but
    come on Quentin, give it a rest. Now if he had carried over the dialogue...

    Although there are some greatly filmed scenes, particularly the restaurant shot
    (when the camera follows Uma down the stairs and into the ladies bathroom)
    and the restaurant fight scenes themselves, I found the rest of the film to be
    rather boring and I therefore lost interest in most of the movie. No scenes that
    really have that "Tarantino" stamp on them that makes them memorable.

    The anime sequence was interesting in and of itself because I'm not a real
    big fan of anime and I therefore don't seek it out for viewing. I thought it was
    something that only Quentin would do and so I think it works beautifully.

    I didn't care much for about half of the soundtrack I felt that alot of the songs
    and musical themes were inappropriate and detracted from the scenes they
    accompanied. The stand out music: Tomoyasu Hotei's "Battle Without Honor
    or Humanity and Zamfir's "The Lonely Shepard". I just loved 'em.

    What else can I say about this movie? Although it clocks in at just about 2
    hours in length, it's too damn long. It drags in alot of places, especially the
    fight at the end between Uma's and Luci's characters. The whole movie
    could use a bit of snipping here and there to pick up the pace. Some may
    find this comment strange in light of the fact that Pulp Fiction and Jackie
    Brown are a bit longer than this but I feel they do not suffer from any of the
    flaws that simply jump off the screen in this mediocre movie.

    And let's not forget the two biggest mistakes Quentin makes in this movie,
    both having to do with the fight sequence in the restaurant, and it' doesn't
    have anything to do with the violence. I have absolutely no problem with the
    violence in this movie as I'm a major action and horror nut so I say bring it on.
    I also have absolutely no problem with large quantities of blood either, for the
    same reason I stated above. I think Quentin did one hell of a job in both
    Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction where lots of blood is used very effectively.

    So what is the first major problem with the final fight scene in the restaurant?
    The vast quantities of blood that's visible in this film. Contradictory? No. Why?
    Without spoiling the movie for those of you who haven't seen it, I'll just say that
    there a couple of bloody scenes in that fight sequence that were so completely
    unrealistic that I was laughing through most of it along with most of the people
    in the theatre. It was so much of a distraction that it brought all of the viewers
    out of the scene and back into the theatre which is a big no-no for a movie.

    The second major problem with the final fight scene in the restaurant is that a
    good sized chunk of it was presented in black & white, which completely threw
    all of us in the theatre for a loop. I lost count of the number of people in the
    theatre who yelled "What the hell's going on?". There were people yelling up
    at the projectionist booth because it looked like something was wrong with
    the film. Most of the viewers were pissed off about the abrupt change in the
    scene from color to black & white that they stopped paying attention to the
    movie and talked amongst themselves about how much it sucked. I really
    believe Quentin royally dropped the ball with this and should restore color to it.

    Of course, I'm just armchair-quarterbacking what Quentin should have done
    and it's just my own opinion but I think he needs to do some major re-editing
    of this movie to bring it up to par with his first three movies and so that it will
    be looked on favorably in the years to come instead of as the dissapoinment
    and mediocre eyesore it is now. Years down the road, as this film exists now,
    it will not be looked upon with any sort of favor. It will be seen as a largely
    flawed film that could have been much better than it turned out to be and
    Quentin will be seen as a director who bit off more than he could chew
    when he decided to make this film. Say it ain't so, Tarantino. This is one
    film that will definitely not find a place in my dvd collection.

    Just my 2 cents,
    Riffraff
     
    Riffraff, Oct 29, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Riffraff

    Paul Guest

    > The second major problem with the final fight scene in the restaurant is
    that a
    > good sized chunk of it was presented in black & white, which completely

    threw
    > all of us in the theatre for a loop. I lost count of the number of people

    in the

    This was done to get the film an R rating in the US. Without the black &
    white, it would have gotten an NC-17 from the MPAA, which is death for a
    major film release. In Japan, and other Asian countries, the scene is in
    full colour and the film also contains extra footage throughout. Hopefully
    this version will get released on the R1 DVD!

    Paul

    --
    Get Paid... With Your Free Email at
    http://www.zwallet.com/index.html?user=pauld61
     
    Paul, Oct 29, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Riffraff

    Chris Banzai Guest

    Greetings,

    Well...I'm no QT fan, but I like swordfights so I checked out the
    movie and enjoyed the heck out of it. Particularly the use of Al
    Hirt's "Green Hornet" theme. I've loved this tune since I can
    remember.

    The over-the-top blood was silly, yes, but also right in line with the
    70s movies he "paid tribute" to in this film.

    I thought while watching it that the switch to b&w had more to do with
    toning down the gore so the film could get an R rating.

    My favorite review of the film came from my dad's wife, who hates
    blood/gore. She said it was the bloodiest film she's ever seen and she
    never ever wants to see it again. But she wants to see the second one.



    Chris
    "Lately the only thing keeping me from being a serial killer is my
    distaste
    for manual labor." - Dogbert

    Highlander - Buckaroo Banzai - Buffy - Kolchak - Jon Sable - Ceirdwyn
    The Sims - Doc Savage
    all can be found at:
    http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant
     
    Chris Banzai, Oct 29, 2003
    #3
  4. I agree that Kill Bill, Vol. 1 is not up with Quentin's other mivies,
    but I still thought it wasn't bad (and I am certainly going to see the
    next one). I personally enjoyed the music and surreal blood as it kept
    the movie comical. The major let down for me was the dialog, no where
    near Pulp Fiction. I didn't mind the black & white, but now I am
    curious to see it with color. I also think this is a horrible movie to
    bring your kids to (there were two families with kids that looked about
    8 or younger when I saw it - one of which walked out).

    Adios,
    ~Nick
     
    Nicholas Andrade, Oct 29, 2003
    #4
  5. Riffraff

    TCS Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:48:28 GMT, Riffraff <I'> wrote:
    > Hello everybody,


    No it's amazing. It's been out for over a week and not one person has
    seen it.

    Wait a minute! You say you've seen it? Then why the **** are you asking
    if anyone has seen it?
     
    TCS, Oct 29, 2003
    #5
  6. Riffraff

    Riffraff Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:56:38 GMT, Nicholas Andrade <> wrote:

    >I agree that Kill Bill, Vol. 1 is not up with Quentin's other mivies,
    >but I still thought it wasn't bad (and I am certainly going to see the
    >next one). I personally enjoyed the music and surreal blood as it
    >kept >the movie comical. The major let down for me was the dialog,
    >no where near Pulp Fiction. I didn't mind the black & white, but now
    >I am curious to see it with color. I also think this is a horrible movie to
    >bring your kids to (there were two families with kids that looked about
    >8 or younger when I saw it - one of which walked out).
    >
    >Adios,
    >~Nick


    You're right, the movie wasn't that bad. I was just saying that I was
    expecting much, much more from Quentin due to the high quality of
    his first three movies. Although I was somewhat disappointed from
    having too high an expectation for this movie, I will go to see the
    second part, if only to see the story through to the end.

    Riffraff
     
    Riffraff, Oct 30, 2003
    #6
  7. Riffraff

    Riffraff Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:53:41 GMT, "Paul" <> wrote:

    >> The second major problem with the final fight scene in the restaurant
    >> is that a good sized chunk of it was presented in black & white, which
    >> completely threw all of us in the theatre for a loop. I lost count of the
    >> number of people in the

    >
    >This was done to get the film an R rating in the US. Without the black &
    >white, it would have gotten an NC-17 from the MPAA, which is death for a
    >major film release. In Japan, and other Asian countries, the scene is in
    >full colour and the film also contains extra footage throughout. Hopefully
    >this version will get released on the R1 DVD!
    >
    >Paul


    Hey Paul,

    I'll have to agree with you here. I'm sure it would have received an NC-17
    or an X rating had the scene been presented in color. It's been rumoured
    that the special edition boxset of these two movies that will be coming out
    after part 2 comes out on video will contain the scene restored to color. If
    that happens, I think I will be interested in getting the boxset but I certainly
    won't be buying the individual dvd releases.

    Riffraff
     
    Riffraff, Oct 30, 2003
    #7
  8. Riffraff

    Riffraff Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:07:26 GMT, Chris Banzai <> wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >Well...I'm no QT fan, but I like swordfights so I checked out the
    >movie and enjoyed the heck out of it. Particularly the use of Al
    >Hirt's "Green Hornet" theme. I've loved this tune since I can
    >remember.


    Yep, Al Green's the man!

    >The over-the-top blood was silly, yes, but also right in line with the
    >70s movies he "paid tribute" to in this film.


    I'll agree with you here but that doesn't mean I have to like it :)

    >I thought while watching it that the switch to b&w had more to do with
    >toning down the gore so the film could get an R rating.


    You're probably correct on this point. Had Quentin released the film
    here in the US with the scene in color, it would most likely have an
    NC-17 or X rating. It's rumoured the asian prints of the film are in color
    and that the Director's Cut boxset will have the scene restored.

    >My favorite review of the film came from my dad's wife, who hates
    >blood/gore. She said it was the bloodiest film she's ever seen and she
    >never ever wants to see it again. But she wants to see the second one.


    Same here. I want to see part 2 to see what happens.

    Riffraff
     
    Riffraff, Oct 30, 2003
    #8
  9. Riffraff

    Riffraff Guest

    On 29 Oct 2003 20:41:13 GMT, TCS <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:48:28 GMT, Riffraff <I'> wrote:
    >> Hello everybody,

    >
    >No it's amazing. It's been out for over a week and not one person
    > has seen it.
    >

    Oh no... I'm "so" offended! Is that your impression of a wise ass?
    You must feel so much better getting that out of your system, moron.
    >
    >Wait a minute! You say you've seen it? Then why the **** are you
    > asking if anyone has seen it?
    >

    I was simply trying to get other people who have seen it to give their
    comments on the movie. It's quite obvious that you have not seen the
    movie nor have you bothered to read my entire post.

    I imagine if you actually had seen the movie and read my entire post,
    the complete lack of verbal skills you obviously don't have would quite
    likely prevent you from every giving any constructive comments about
    the film. Fortunate for us since you are neither civil nor lack respect for
    anyone who tries to post here.

    You shouldn't let your anger over suffering from impotence and having
    a small dick interfere with your engaging in meaning conversation. But
    then again, you are one petty and sad little man.

    And now... welcome to my killfile.

    Riffraff
     
    Riffraff, Oct 30, 2003
    #9

  10. > >I agree that Kill Bill, Vol. 1 is not up with Quentin's other mivies,
    > >but I still thought it wasn't bad


    You're right, it wasn't bad...it was terrible.

    >>The major let down for me was the dialog,


    Right on the money. Clunky, simplistic, moronic, and juvenile pretty much
    sum it up. I read a recent interview in Empire and that's pretty much the
    way he's talking these days. He sounds like a meth. freak

    IMHO, violence for the sake of violence isn't good film making it just shows
    that your writer is out of ideas.
    Was I offended by the violence? No, I just thought it was a cop out to get
    around the fact that there really is no reason to see this movie.

    Personally I think the film dialogue could have improved if it were written
    by Ed Wood.

    Just my opinion.
     
    ominousspiritous, Oct 30, 2003
    #10
  11. Riffraff

    Louis Guest

    I intend to reserve judgement until I see the _entire_ film (ie, parts 1 &
    2). I wish he had released the whole thing as one flick.

    As it is, the opinions in this thread are premature.

    L
    "Riffraff" <I'> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I just got around to seeing Kill Bill, the fourth outing from Quentin

    Tarantino.
    > Seeing how I'm a really big fan of his first three movies (Resevoir Dogs,

    Pulp
    > Fiction, and Jackie Brown - got 'em all on DVD), I was greatly

    anticipating
    > seeing what he could do with the modern day "Japanese Western".
    >
    > The majority of the reviews I've read pretty much fall on either side of

    the
    > fence in that it's either just a gory piece of trash or a cinematic

    masterpiece.
    >
    > Well, I can safely say that this is definitely not a ciinematic

    masterpiece. In
    > fact, it comes no where close to being anything more than a really big

    budget
    > B-movie. Don't get me wrong, there's some excellent cinematography in this
    > film. But great cinematography does not a great masterpiece make.
    >
    > I kinda see this as Quentiin's take (more or less) on Japanese cinema with

    a
    > bit of the Italian Western thrown in for good measure (which was

    influenced
    > itself by Japanese cinema). I can see influences ranging from The Hidden
    > Fortress to High Plains Drifter to Duel to the Death but unfortunately it

    doesn't
    > work anywhere near as well as intended and the whole package suffers. .
    >
    > Uma Thurman's casting in this movie is expected as she did an excellent

    job
    > in Pulp Fiction making that character quite memorable and she does her

    best
    > to do an admirable job here making this character something only she can

    do.
    >
    > Luci Liu does a bang up job too as the half Chinese/half American assassin
    > who takes over the Tokyo mob. I found her character to be very convincing.
    > Vivica A. Fox also does a hell of a job and really earned her money for

    the
    > short time she was on screen. I just love her in anything she does.
    >
    > I absolutely adore Daryl Hannah but she was completely laughable as a

    female
    > assassin. What the hell was Quentin thinking? That eye patch had me

    rolling
    > on the floor laughing my ass off!!! Not believable one bit.
    >
    > As for the unseen Bill, the only reason I can see casting David Carradine

    is as
    > a reward for his days in Kung-fu and all those crap ass movies he had to

    do to
    > make a living back in the day. He's a good actor though and I like him. He

    did
    > alright given his limited screen time in this flick.
    >
    > The full cast of asian actors (too numerous to list here, so I won't

    bother) do a
    > pretty good job, especially with the martial arts scenes. Overall, I find

    these
    > scenes to be better than your average martial arts film.
    >
    > Other than that, I find this movie to be about half hit and half miss.

    Pretty much
    > all of the dialogue is stilted and just plain sucks... nobody talks like

    that!!! Not
    > even in crappy low budget B-flicks! What happened to the finely crafted
    > dialogue we saw in Quentin's first three movies? Nowhere to be seen here.
    >
    > I'm sure eveyone who has seen this movie can plainly notice that he is

    once
    > again following the same style & pattern of his first three movies, i.e.

    doing the
    > movie completely out of sequence. It worked great in the first three

    movies but
    > come on Quentin, give it a rest. Now if he had carried over the

    dialogue...
    >
    > Although there are some greatly filmed scenes, particularly the restaurant

    shot
    > (when the camera follows Uma down the stairs and into the ladies bathroom)
    > and the restaurant fight scenes themselves, I found the rest of the film

    to be
    > rather boring and I therefore lost interest in most of the movie. No

    scenes that
    > really have that "Tarantino" stamp on them that makes them memorable.
    >
    > The anime sequence was interesting in and of itself because I'm not a real
    > big fan of anime and I therefore don't seek it out for viewing. I thought

    it was
    > something that only Quentin would do and so I think it works beautifully.
    >
    > I didn't care much for about half of the soundtrack I felt that alot of

    the songs
    > and musical themes were inappropriate and detracted from the scenes they
    > accompanied. The stand out music: Tomoyasu Hotei's "Battle Without Honor
    > or Humanity and Zamfir's "The Lonely Shepard". I just loved 'em.
    >
    > What else can I say about this movie? Although it clocks in at just about

    2
    > hours in length, it's too damn long. It drags in alot of places,

    especially the
    > fight at the end between Uma's and Luci's characters. The whole movie
    > could use a bit of snipping here and there to pick up the pace. Some may
    > find this comment strange in light of the fact that Pulp Fiction and

    Jackie
    > Brown are a bit longer than this but I feel they do not suffer from any of

    the
    > flaws that simply jump off the screen in this mediocre movie.
    >
    > And let's not forget the two biggest mistakes Quentin makes in this movie,
    > both having to do with the fight sequence in the restaurant, and it'

    doesn't
    > have anything to do with the violence. I have absolutely no problem with

    the
    > violence in this movie as I'm a major action and horror nut so I say bring

    it on.
    > I also have absolutely no problem with large quantities of blood either,

    for the
    > same reason I stated above. I think Quentin did one hell of a job in both
    > Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction where lots of blood is used very

    effectively.
    >
    > So what is the first major problem with the final fight scene in the

    restaurant?
    > The vast quantities of blood that's visible in this film. Contradictory?

    No. Why?
    > Without spoiling the movie for those of you who haven't seen it, I'll just

    say that
    > there a couple of bloody scenes in that fight sequence that were so

    completely
    > unrealistic that I was laughing through most of it along with most of the

    people
    > in the theatre. It was so much of a distraction that it brought all of the

    viewers
    > out of the scene and back into the theatre which is a big no-no for a

    movie.
    >
    > The second major problem with the final fight scene in the restaurant is

    that a
    > good sized chunk of it was presented in black & white, which completely

    threw
    > all of us in the theatre for a loop. I lost count of the number of people

    in the
    > theatre who yelled "What the hell's going on?". There were people yelling

    up
    > at the projectionist booth because it looked like something was wrong with
    > the film. Most of the viewers were pissed off about the abrupt change in

    the
    > scene from color to black & white that they stopped paying attention to

    the
    > movie and talked amongst themselves about how much it sucked. I really
    > believe Quentin royally dropped the ball with this and should restore

    color to it.
    >
    > Of course, I'm just armchair-quarterbacking what Quentin should have done
    > and it's just my own opinion but I think he needs to do some major

    re-editing
    > of this movie to bring it up to par with his first three movies and so

    that it will
    > be looked on favorably in the years to come instead of as the

    dissapoinment
    > and mediocre eyesore it is now. Years down the road, as this film exists

    now,
    > it will not be looked upon with any sort of favor. It will be seen as a

    largely
    > flawed film that could have been much better than it turned out to be and
    > Quentin will be seen as a director who bit off more than he could chew
    > when he decided to make this film. Say it ain't so, Tarantino. This is one
    > film that will definitely not find a place in my dvd collection.
    >
    > Just my 2 cents,
    > Riffraff
     
    Louis, Oct 30, 2003
    #11
  12. Riffraff

    Jay G Guest

    "Riffraff" <I'> wrote ...
    > <> wrote:
    > >Wait a minute! You say you've seen it? Then why the **** are you
    > > asking if anyone has seen it?
    > >

    > I was simply trying to get other people who have seen it to give their
    > comments on the movie. It's quite obvious that you have not seen the
    > movie nor have you bothered to read my entire post.


    Then your header should've read "Has anyone *else* seen it yet?"
    The reason there are no posts about the film in this newsgroup is
    because, if you can't tell from the title, this newsgroup is primarily
    about DVDs. If you go to a newsgroup that's about movies in
    general, and currently released movies in specific, you'll find a lot
    of discussion about the film. For example, rec.arts.movies.current-films
    has had numerous threads about this film since its release.

    -Jay
     
    Jay G, Oct 30, 2003
    #12
  13. Riffraff

    Jay G Guest

    "Riffraff" <I'> wrote ...
    > <> wrote:


    SPOILERS








    > >I thought while watching it that the switch to b&w had more to do with
    > >toning down the gore so the film could get an R rating.

    >
    > You're probably correct on this point. Had Quentin released the film
    > here in the US with the scene in color, it would most likely have an
    > NC-17 or X rating.


    The switch to B&W during this sequence was dictated in the original
    script, and Quentin had switched this scene to B&W before he ever
    submitted it to the MPAA. The reason he's given is that, even if the
    film would've been rated R with the scene in color, he doesn't think
    American audiences can handle too much blood. He didn't want to
    alienate the audience by overloading them with violence.

    > It's rumoured the asian prints of the film are in color


    Not a rumor, it's been confirmed on other forums that the Japanese
    and Hong Kong prints of this film contain the Crazy 88s fight entirely
    in color, and also show The Bride cutting off Sophie Fatale's other arm
    in the trunk. Tarantino thinks Asian audiences can handle more blood.

    > and that the Director's Cut boxset will have the scene restored.


    Now this is just a rumor, and really no more than wishful thinking.
    Nobody from either Miramax or Tarantino's camp have said anything
    about the box set. Also, Miramax, being part of Disney, apparently
    is forbidden from releasing any film rated NC-17 or unrated. This
    is why the uncut version of Scream is only available overseas.

    -Jay
     
    Jay G, Oct 30, 2003
    #13
  14. "Riffraff" <I'> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello everybody,
    > theatre who yelled "What the hell's going on?". There were people yelling

    up
    > at the projectionist booth because it looked like something was wrong with
    > the film. Most of the viewers were pissed off about the abrupt change in

    the
    > scene from color to black & white that they stopped paying attention to

    the

    This is why I don't go to theaters and buy DVD. "pissed off?" These are the
    same people that want all b&w films colorized. What morons.

    Steve
     
    Steve Knoblock, Oct 30, 2003
    #14
  15. "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote in message
    news:WXUnb.17968$...

    > bring your kids to (there were two families with kids that looked about
    > 8 or younger when I saw it - one of which walked out).


    More morons. Do they read? Watch tv even? Do they pay attention? What do
    they think this movie is about? Maybe they live under a rock.

    Steve
     
    Steve Knoblock, Oct 30, 2003
    #15
  16. Riffraff

    Melquiades Guest

    In article <pLOnb.311786$>, "Paul" <> wrote:
    >> The second major problem with the final fight scene in the restaurant is

    >that a
    >> good sized chunk of it was presented in black & white, which completely

    >threw
    >> all of us in the theatre for a loop. I lost count of the number of people

    >in the
    >
    >This was done to get the film an R rating in the US. Without the black &
    >white, it would have gotten an NC-17 from the MPAA, which is death for a
    >major film release. In Japan, and other Asian countries, the scene is in
    >full colour and the film also contains extra footage throughout. Hopefully
    >this version will get released on the R1 DVD!


    I really liked the switch to B&W. I loved the way the Blue Leaves sequence
    was told in various movements -- different visuals and music for each. I also
    loved the transitions switching from B&W to color -- the ripping out of the
    eye and the Bride blinking. I might check out the all-color version for
    kicks, but I'd prefer to own it with the B&W.
     
    Melquiades, Oct 31, 2003
    #16
  17. Riffraff

    Riffraff Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:45:58 GMT, "Steve Knoblock" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Riffraff" <I'> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Hello everybody,
    >> theatre who yelled "What the hell's going on?". There were people yelling

    >up
    >> at the projectionist booth because it looked like something was wrong with
    >> the film. Most of the viewers were pissed off about the abrupt change in

    >the
    >> scene from color to black & white that they stopped paying attention to

    >the
    >
    >This is why I don't go to theaters and buy DVD. "pissed off?" These are the
    >same people that want all b&w films colorized. What morons.
    >
    >Steve
    >

    I have to disagree with you. Most of the people I talked to after the movie
    were distracted by the change from color to b&w because it brought them
    out of the scene. That doesn't mean they are the same people who want
    all b&w films colorized. Just because I, along with most of the people who
    saw the movie with me, didn't care for the b&w scene doesn't mean I want
    to see colorized versions of Citizen Kane, Hud, or the Elephant Man. You
    may enjoy seeing the scene the way it was presented but that doesn't
    mean everyone who didn't like it is a moron. The only person who is a
    moron is you for characterizing all the people who prefer to see a color
    version of that specific scene as morons.

    Riffraff
     
    Riffraff, Oct 31, 2003
    #17
  18. Riffraff

    Riffraff Guest

    Thanks for the information Jay. I wasn't aware of those facts.

    Riffraff

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:06:38 -0600, "Jay G" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Riffraff" <I'> wrote ...
    >> <> wrote:

    >
    >SPOILERS
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >> >I thought while watching it that the switch to b&w had more to do with
    >> >toning down the gore so the film could get an R rating.

    >>
    >> You're probably correct on this point. Had Quentin released the film
    >> here in the US with the scene in color, it would most likely have an
    >> NC-17 or X rating.

    >
    >The switch to B&W during this sequence was dictated in the original
    >script, and Quentin had switched this scene to B&W before he ever
    >submitted it to the MPAA. The reason he's given is that, even if the
    >film would've been rated R with the scene in color, he doesn't think
    >American audiences can handle too much blood. He didn't want to
    >alienate the audience by overloading them with violence.
    >
    >> It's rumoured the asian prints of the film are in color

    >
    >Not a rumor, it's been confirmed on other forums that the Japanese
    >and Hong Kong prints of this film contain the Crazy 88s fight entirely
    >in color, and also show The Bride cutting off Sophie Fatale's other arm
    >in the trunk. Tarantino thinks Asian audiences can handle more blood.
    >
    >> and that the Director's Cut boxset will have the scene restored.

    >
    >Now this is just a rumor, and really no more than wishful thinking.
    >Nobody from either Miramax or Tarantino's camp have said anything
    >about the box set. Also, Miramax, being part of Disney, apparently
    >is forbidden from releasing any film rated NC-17 or unrated. This
    >is why the uncut version of Scream is only available overseas.
    >
    >-Jay
    >
     
    Riffraff, Oct 31, 2003
    #18
  19. "Riffraff" <I'> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:45:58 GMT, "Steve Knoblock"

    <> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >"Riffraff" <I'> wrote in message
    > >news:...
    > >> Hello everybody,
    > >> theatre who yelled "What the hell's going on?". There were people

    yelling
    > >up
    > >> at the projectionist booth because it looked like something was wrong

    with
    > >> the film. Most of the viewers were pissed off about the abrupt change

    in
    > >the
    > >> scene from color to black & white that they stopped paying attention to

    > >the
    > >
    > >This is why I don't go to theaters and buy DVD. "pissed off?" These are

    the
    > >same people that want all b&w films colorized. What morons.
    > >
    > >Steve
    > >

    > I have to disagree with you. Most of the people I talked to after the

    movie
    > were distracted by the change from color to b&w because it brought them


    Did you get up from your seat and start shouting "what the hell's going on"
    when this happened? I rest my case.

    Steve
     
    Steve Knoblock, Oct 31, 2003
    #19
  20. Riffraff

    Jay G Guest

    "Steve Knoblock" <> wrote
    > > I have to disagree with you. Most of the people I talked to after the

    > movie
    > > were distracted by the change from color to b&w because it brought them

    >
    > Did you get up from your seat and start shouting "what the hell's going

    on"
    > when this happened? I rest my case.


    Do you do this every time a film does something that pulls you out of
    it?

    -Jay
     
    Jay G, Nov 2, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bos
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    615
  2. Wild Coyote

    Has anyone seen Sugar Cookies yet?

    Wild Coyote, Jul 29, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    546
    Wild Coyote
    Jul 29, 2004
  3. Charles Robinson

    Anyone in Minnesota seen the ist-DS yet?

    Charles Robinson, Nov 23, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    259
    Charles Robinson
    Nov 26, 2004
  4. The New Sony DSC-R1, anyone seen one yet?

    , Oct 1, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    283
    Gary Eickmeier
    Oct 2, 2005
  5. james@jamesphotography_nospam_.ca

    Sigma 18-200 OS - anyone seen one yet?

    james@jamesphotography_nospam_.ca, Apr 20, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    276
    james@jamesphotography_nospam_.ca
    Apr 21, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page